The Awakened Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That type of control was something that Aldred had been a master of. He was able to maintain control of people from a distance, leave simple commands in place in someone's brain and generally influence others to an extreme degree. It was what had made him into a millionaire and allowed him to take control of others and their ideas.

And now Kane remembered all the people that Donovan Aldred had controlled and still had control over. It was a surprisingly significant number of people. From politicians to competitors to sexual partners, his dominance and control was far reaching.

His head started to spin with the sheer amount of information and the implications. He really needed to talk to someone.

There was only one person he knew that might understand.

He picked up his phone and called Si.

"Kane? Oh thank the gods!"

"Hello Si, how are you?"

"How am I...? Kane I'm so sorry. I can't believe that I ran out on you like that. I've been so scared and worried for you."

"I get it Si, believe me."

"So was that...did you..?"

"Not over the phone, Si. Are you around this afternoon? I'd really like to talk."

"Yes, yes, of course! Come to the lighthouse whenever you can."

"I'll see you in a couple of hours then."

"Thank you Kane."

He hung up and let out a long relieved breath. He was still nervous about what Si would think of what he'd done but he was really excited to talk to him. He quickly paid the bill to the taciturn barman, jumped in his hire car and headed back to Devon.

The drive was uneventful and throughout the journey Kane let his mind wander from knowledge node to knowledge node, trying to slowly take on the information in a way that wouldn't overwhelm him.

By the time he reached Exmoor and was bumping down the lane to the lighthouse he was bursting with news.

Si was waiting for him at the door and they flung their arms around each other in a heartfelt hug.

"Kane, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright Si. Honestly, I sprung the whole idea on you without giving you an opportunity to think it through."

"You're very kind old thing but I was drunk and scared. Not a good combination. Come in out of the cold and let's have a cup of tea."

"Good idea."

It wasn't long before they were settled in the familiar living room. It seemed like an age since he'd managed to get the brain claw off Si and it had ended up dead on the fireplace.

There was an awkward silence before they both tried to speak.

"Look Si, I..."

"Kane, I'm so..."

They grinned at one another and Kane indicated to Si to speak.

"Kane, you saved my life. You've gone way over and above what anyone should have to do for someone who was a total stranger. And I repaid you by running away at the first sign of danger. I'm ashamed of myself."

"Si, please don't be. You may want to wish that you hadn't saved this stranger's life when you hear what I have to say."

"What? What do you mean?"

"I'm really not proud of what I've done but I need you to hear it and then see if you can help provide me with some sort of perspective. Because believe me when I tell you that I am beating the shit out of myself right now."

"You mean you killed again..?"

Kane was silent for a moment and then nodded.

"Yes. That and more. Listen."

And he told him everything. With his head down, unwilling to meet Si's eyes it poured out of him. What he'd witnessed, the powers that he'd seen used, the death of Aldred, the brain claws, the maelstrom of memories, the huge increase in appetite and even his encounter with the two women.

"I'm sure that I'm me. But I feel so much more than that. The change in my memory is amazing. But I had almost no control over the version of me that took and used those women. It scares me witless in some ways. In others I'm ashamed. And there's that other part of me that shrugs and says get over it, it was fun."

He finally looked up and saw Si looking at him in amazement.

"I'm not sure that I even recognise you any more Kane. In many ways you're the same man that saved me and I'm proud to call my friend. But you're also the man that with no real idea about what you'd do went into the lion's den and took out the most dangerous Awakened I've ever heard of. By yourself! And soaked up his power and knowledge. It's so amazing I don't know where to begin and yet you tell me this as if I can help?"

"But you can! You can help me understand what the hell to do with all this information. There's so much! So much corruption. So many new ways to use our power. So much money!"

"There's what?"

"He had multiple offshore bank accounts that are completely off the books. Tens of millions outside of his company. And his lawyer is under his complete control. I could have his will changed, I could...Jesus I could do just about anything!"

Kane had stood up while he was talking, gesticulating as he felt his whole life spiralling out of his control.

Si stood up and grabbed him by his shoulders, shaking him slightly to get his attention.

"Can you put it right?"

"Can I...what do you mean?"

"You have the money and the power to make a difference to so many people. Your influence could change lives. You could help so many scared people just like me. You could create a medical analysis business that tracks down and helps Awakened. You have the power to take on brain claws and heal people that are suffering. You could be a healing angel in hospitals around the world!"

Si's eyes were shining as he held him, looking at Kane like he was the messiah.

Kane sat back on the sofa, stunned at what Si was saying. It made him sound like some all powerful being, like a god!

"But I..."

"Kane - don't do anything now. Just soak in the knowledge. But we can start to talk about things that you could do without anyone discovering that it was you. You could turn Aldred's business into a not for profit and throw all its support behind charity work. I don't know if that's a good idea but it's possible.

I'm so pleased that you trusted me with this Kane."

"There's no one I'd rather trust, Si. And this is why I had to talk to you. But don't you think that I'm a monster for sucking his life away like that?"

"Why should I? He's been stealing other people's power for years. He pleaded with you to take his power rather than succumb to the brain claws. And don't think that was all altruism either! I'll bet he thought that you'd be killed by the brain claws if you intervened in any way. It was his final way of trying to get back at you. The man was a monster and you put an end to him and his corruption. You're a bloody hero Kane."

Kane looked at Si with a new found respect. He struggled with his emotions as he stood there looking into the absolute certainty that radiated from Si. It was all he could do not to cry.

"Thank you, Si. Honestly when this is all happening around you and your brain is on fire, there is just no perspective. I don't think I'm a hero but it was him or me, I'm sure of that now."

"Absolutely right, old thing! Now, two questions for you. What other knowledge did you get from this two day LSD trip that you had and what's the next move?"

"I have so much to tell you. Do you want the good stuff or the scary stuff?"

"Definitely the good stuff," Si shivered before pouring himself another cup of tea and picking up a digestive biscuit to dunk in it.

"The good stuff is the way that we can influence other people..."

"You, maybe old chap, not a candle watt like me."

"No, absolutely you as well. It may not be as drastic but subtle changes can make all the difference. It's probably easier if I show you."

"You're not going to make me ejaculate in my saville row boxers are you?" said Si with a smile.

Kane flushed in embarrassment, "Oh gods, I wish I hadn't told you that now. Look, there's so much more. Influencing a negotiation. Nudging someone to be a little more receptive to you. Knocking someone slightly off balance. You'll be able to do all that and more."

"Really?"

"Yes! And your cloak is already far superior to anything that Aldred ever came up with. He was a brute force person, all macho bullshit and testosterone. He could understand a shield but he had no idea about how effectively you could conceal yourself. You could teach a masterclass in that alone."

"Oh!" said Si, looking a little shocked and rather pleased with himself at the same time. That was until the biscuit that he'd been dipping in his tea took that moment to break off and fall into his tea cup.

"Oh...botheration!"

"There's plenty more tea Si."

"I know...but...do you really think that I could help people?"

"You've already helped people. And I know that you would have made a massive difference to Aldred. His power drain from that shield was huge. It simply wasn't sustainable AND it acted like a huge lure to brain claws. Your way is much better."

"Well, can you show me some of what you've learned?"

The two spent the next two hours in the spirit world. Kane patiently took Si through some of things that he knew would require minimal effort. What he hadn't factored in were the years and years of experience using them that he couldn't pass on.

[Are you sure that I'm supposed to be able to do this?]

[Certain. It will probably need a fair amount of practice though.]

[How depressing. Look, I'm tired and a bit frustrated, shall we adjourn for dinner?]

Kane nodded and they arrived back into a cold sitting room.

"Buggar. It's going to take a while to get this place warm again."

"Allow me," said Kane. He added a pile of wood into the log burner, closed the door and flipped into the spirit world. And pushed. Flames shot up the chimney and doubtless came out of the top if they had been able to see them. It was like having a mini-explosion in the wood burner. As he phased back into the physical world the wood was blazing away.

"Well I can see that you're going to be a very handy chap to have around. Come on old fruit, unless you can magic up some food I need to cook us something to eat."

They talked for the rest of the evening, going back and forth about what to do next and how to do it. Si's earlier question had really struck home as Kane lay awake in the spare room...Can you put it right?

Well, yes. Yes he could. But should he? And what should he "put right"? And how would he do that without attracting huge amounts of very much unwanted attention?

He realised that he was putting the cart before the horse. First things first, he needed to sort his own life out before he started to try and figure out how to help others.

As he lay there he realised, with some trepidation, that he hadn't even got round to sharing the scary stuff yet...

12