The Babymaker Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Julia: "They think the perp opened the back door, got in, shot Carl in the back of the head as well as the first shot from the side, then found his cellphone and took it, along with anything else in the car. But they did not search him for his wallet, apparently. As to the caliber of the weapon, Officers that saw it thought it was small-caliber, but we'll have to wait for Martha the M.E.'s autopsy for that."

"Which she is not releasing, even to me." said Tanya, almost pouting.

"That's because I texted her and told her not to release it to anyone, until she had a full and complete report." I said. "And I did that to keep the God-cursed Media from finding out anything before I am good and ready for them to."

"Har!" barked Our Sheriff. "Good luck with that!" I just shrugged.

Julia: "The car was towed to the Crime Lab's new garage, and they're excited to have something to use all their new toys on. They're still examining it."

Back when we'd worked on the Charlie Griswold car crash (Author's note: 'Fathers and Sons', Ch. 02.), we realized we needed better facilities for examining vehicles. So on the far side of the Crime Lab building (next to The Fairgrounds), a small annex was built that could house a vehicle. Tools inside could do everything from spread a crushed car back out to sonar analysis to computer analyses. It had taken two years to fully 'furnish', but it was now a world-class facility.

Julia said: "Intel got got the meta-data for Carl's cellphone. There------"

"Did they get a warrant for that?" Tanya asked, rather sharply.

"Yes." I said. "I got the warrant for them myself." Tanya's look seemed to be one of... disappointment? I thought to myself.

Julia said "There was one 'strangeness' about it, to use your term, Commander. Carl called his wife's cellphone about two minutes before the accident, and the call lasted about a minute. Then, a burner phone called him, and it had to be right at or after the time of the accident, from all the accounts and data we have."

"Hmmm," I said, then it hit me: "Do you have an approximate location of the burner phone? Was it right at the same place as Carl's phone?"

"Uhhh," said Mary Milton, looking up the data on her laptop, her fingers flying faster than my vision could comprehend. "Wow. Yes, sir, it was... at least the cell tower triangulation data matches perfectly. How did you know that?"

"It confirms the criminal got into the car to search for Carl's cellphone." I said. "He dialed the number... which he knew, I'll point out... so that Carl's phone would ring and the perp could find it. It probably flew into the backseat or under the front seats; hence, the perp got in the back to retrieve it."

Seeing the 'how does he do that?' looks on everyone's faces, the Sheriff barked a laugh, his mustaches twitching merrily. "And he waves the magic crowbar again, folks." he growled amusedly. "Good job, Crowbar. So what's next?"

I said "What about Carl's wallet, and the money in it?"

Tanya replied: "Carl's wallet had his ID, his credit cards, a photo of him and Wanda at their wedding, and $1050 in cash, of which $1000 was a folded wad of ten one-hundred-dollar bills. The serial numbers were not sequential and appear to be different ages and different conditions of wear. We're analyzing for any significant drug residues, and Martha said she'd look for signs Carl having had drugs in his hands or in his system. There was nothing else in the wallet, no slips of paper with any codes or passwords, or anything like that."

"Good report." I said. "Detective Rodriguez, you interviewed Wanda at the Hospital?"

Julia said "Yes sir, with Commander Ross present. Wanda said she had no idea who might want to harm her husband. She said he normally is at the gym in the morning, but he was running errands this morning, and he called and said he was on his way to the gym. That must be the call just before he was run off the road."

I nodded. "Did she say what the errand was that Carl was running this morning?"

"No sir, I didn't get that far." Julia said. "Wanda started breaking down, and Commander Ross asked if we could talk to Wanda later."

"Hmmmmmm." I said, and it ended up being a growl. "That is... unfortunate. Yes, you need to re-interview Wanda and interview Ariel, good thorough interviews. You also need to talk to Carl's fellow employees at Town Fitness Centers, see if he said anything about any problems he was having, or if his mannerisms had changed in the last few days or even weeks." Julia nodded and made notes.

"O-kayyyy." I said. "The break-in at his home. Anything on that?"

Teddy Parker said "The Crime Lab techs are still processing the scene, but so far they've found no fingerprints other than Carl's and Wanda's. Entry was gained via the back door, apparently by using Carl's keys taken from the car crash scene. The alarm was turned off at 12:10pm, with a company code that isn't normally known by anyone except Commander Troy, and it was not turned back on."

"So the perps went from the accident scene straight to his house?" said the Chief. "But the black car went west, and on out of State?"

I said "Sir, it turned east first. The passenger, the perp that did the shooting, may have gotten out of that car and into another one, and he or they drove to Carl's house. Or they handed off the keys to others." The Chief nodded, and I nodded at Teddy to keep going.

Teddy: "It appears they did a very rapid but very thorough search. Wanda said a lot of their electronic devices, such as their Roku, Playstation, computer, and video cameras were stolen. But they left three television monitors on the walls or the floors, the camera tripods in the third bedroom, which Wanda says are expensive in their own right, and an expensive radio that has expanded bandwidths, including short wave and the Police bands."

"Did they have any CDs or DVDs?" I asked. "And were those stolen?"

"Uh, I don't know, sir." said Parker. "I'll need to check with the CSIs and Wanda on that."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police iPhone, and it was Mark Walker of my CSI team. "Commander," he said, "we've found something strange in the car that you need to see..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:45pm, Monday, September 28th. Teresa, Julia, Teddy, Jerome Davis, and myself came into the Crime Lab's auto annex. We were met by Lead CSI Technician Mark Walker, who led us to the trunk of the car.

"Sir, there's a hidden compartment back here." he said, showing where a panel had been removed. "It's also accessible from the back seat by pulling the seatback forward. There's not a lot of room, but we found this inside the compartment."

He led us to a nearby table, where a black gym bag was, with athletic wear piled on the table next to it. "The bag was mostly full of gym clothes, sir, and they're all clean, freshly laundered. But inside, we found this."

He handed me a rectangular plastic box, about 5" x 3" x 1" in dimension. "It looks like a Wi-Fi router or modem." I said.

"Yes sir, it does." said Walker. "But it's not. Let me show you." He pressed a spot on the side, and the side opened to reveal a very thin video screen, and a tiny keyboard and mousepad.

"This is technically a laptop." said Walker. "But if I'm right, it's not an ordinary computer. It has one USB port and a tiny port for a connector. And if you look inside this black gym bag, you'll see a very thin wire under this side flap, which plugs into that tiny port on the computer. We haven't analyzed any further, and to be honest sir, I'd like to have Lieutenant Milton... Myron Milton... help us with this."

"By all means." I said. "Make sure it's under two-man control at all times, and the same with this bag. Take them to Headquarters and analyze the crap out of them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was 7:00pm, and we were at The Cabin, on the back deck. Molly and her boys were there, as always. I'd offered to have Ariel and Wanda stay there, but they'd declined.

"Ariel and Wanda are at Ariel's condo." Cindy said. "It's not far from my mom's condo, and it's gated. It also has cameras that the TCPD is tapping into, and watching over. Teresa told 1st Precinct to increase Patrols in that area, and have cars park every so often for a few minutes."

"Good." I said. "We're also watching Town Fitness Centers. It closes at 10:00pm, and the cleaning crews will be there until midnight or so, and then we'll have the 2nd shift Uniformed Officers Captain Hewitt is sending there go on home once the building is vacated. Third shift will patrol the parking lot regularly."

"You really think something's going on, that someone will try to break into there?" Cindy queried.

"It's possible." I said. "The perps broke into Carl's home looking for something. They didn't find what they were looking for in his car... if they had, they likely would not have gone to his home... and I have a nagging feeling they didn't find what they were looking for at his house, either."

I did not mention the gym bag and the computer device we'd found in the car. Instead I said "Julia Rodriguez is going to interview Wanda again in the morning, and I hope Wanda can tell us something. And where I could use your help is getting Wanda to fully cooperate with us. She could be in danger, also."

"I'm sure she will, if she can." Cindy said.

I then said "I also need the names of Carl's client list, the people who have hired him as a personal trainer through the gym. And away from the gym, if you have that information."

Cindy said "Yeah, about that. Ariel came to me about it, and she is dead set against giving out that information without a warrant or subpoena... and a specific warrant for specific names at that, based upon leads developed elsewhere. She says our clients deserve privacy, and should not be subjected to a 'fishing expedition' (air quotes)."

"And she'll be served that warrant in the morning, if I can't get that information voluntarily." I said. "Look, I get it about the privacy, and I understand her... and you... wanting to guard your clients's privacy. But I am going to get that data, and through a warrant if I need to."

"And think of this, ma cousine." I continued. Even if I get a warrant from Judge Watts or the Magistrate Court, Harry Nance will find out about it, and he'll be calling KXTC faster than Jamaal Washington can run the hundred. And the Press can make an Open Records Act request for the details of the warrant."

Your Iron Crowbar: "Even if we don't give it to them, if and when Bettina finds out, she'll blab it all over the place, especially that Cindy Ross's gym's clients are being investigated by the Police. Whaddya think that's going to do to your business? And you know Bettina would love to harm you that way."

"You're good with the psychology. What, did you marry a psychiatrist or something?" Cindy replied. Seeing what I was doing, she was. Successfully persuading the Green Crowbar, I was not.

I chuckled, then Cindy said "Look, I understand. But while I'm majority partner, Ariel and Wanda have a say in this. I'll talk to them, but if Ariel digs in, then it might be better for my professional relationship with her if you do go the route of getting the warrant..."

Part 6 - News Of The World

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, September 29th, from the roof of the building at Riverside and College. "A home invasion and murder directly affects the Town & County Police!"

After the opening 'hard charging' music, Bettina began: "Carl Ryder, a personal trainer at Town Fitness Centers, was run off the northbound Bypass road and then shot to death yesterday. As his death was being investigated, it was learned that his home had been burgled and ransacked. Mr. Ryder's wife Wanda is a minority Partner at Town Fitness Centers, and the majority Partner is TCPD Deputy Chief Cindy Ross."

Bettina: "Mr. Ryder was pronounced dead on arrival at University Hospital after being shot twice in the head after his car was run off the northbound Bypass road. Sources tell Channel Two News that his keys were removed from the vehicle. Shortly afterward, Police were called to his home, and sources tell Channel Two News that his own key was likely used to effect entry. The house was ransacked, and a number of electronic items and video equipment were taken."

Bettina: "Channel Two News has learned that TCPD Commander Cindy Ross has been recused from investigating the case. Commander Ross is the first cousin of Police Commander Donald Troy, but he has not recused himself from the case despite that family connection. Neither Commander Ross nor Commander Troy responded to numerous requests by KXTC for comment."

Bettina: "In other local news, the Town & County Council is expected to take up the issue of the US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division's lawsuit against Town & County Mayor Daniel Allgood, who some say stole the last Mayoral election from its rightful winner, Eldrick X. Weaver. Some members of the Council are expected to demand that Mayor Allgood resign as well as drop out of the current Mayoral race, while others will pledge their full support for the Mayor in opposing the US DOJ's legal action."

Bettina: "And with early voting beginning on October 12th, many of the local and State races are very tight. We have with us Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling." Karl Frazier was brought in on a split-screen. "Karl, how are the races shaping up?"

Karl Frazier: "Bettina, we're seeing a mixed bag in this State unlike any I've seen before in my over 30 years of professional polling. Rather than consistent Party-line support, voters are really looking at the individual candidates. For example, Republican Sharon Marshall leads Democrat Hoyt Stenson in the Governor's race 54-42%, with 4% undecided, while Democrat Corey Coons is crushing Republican Ruby Russell 58-39% with only 3% undecided."

Frazier: "In the State Attorney General race, Republican Gil Krasney, your County's former District Attorney, leads State Attorney Glenn Alberts 55-45% among respondents with a preference. Glenn Alberts is best known as the State Attorney that defended the University against Dr. Jan Camp and lost very badly, angering many University alumni."

Bettina asked "What about the local races, Karl? Are the Democrats ahead like Senator Coons?"

Frazier: "Again, Bettina, it's a mixed bag. Daniel Allgood and Eldrick X. Weaver are neck-and-neck, literally 50-50 among respondents expressing a preference. However, there is a whopping 14% undecided component to that race. Democrat Kelly Carnes is ten points ahead of her Republican challenger, industrialist Bill Redmond, and the experienced Edgar Silas leads Republican newcomer Katina Jones 90-10% in the race to replace Reginald B.F. Lewis on the Council."

Bettina: "And what about the important Inspector General's race, Karl? How is Bruce Finneran doing?"

Frazier said: "Uhh... there's just no sugarcoating those numbers, Bettina. Ahh... SBI Director James 'Curly' Goodwin has a strong lead over Mr. Finneran right now------"

Karl Frazier's image on the screen went to color-bars-and-tone. Bettina quickly said "We've apparently lost the connection with Mr. Frazier. We'll try to get that back for you. Meanwhile, let's go to Sports with Jeff Hull. Jeff!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Sheriff Griswold, Chief Sean Moynahan, Captain Tanya Muscone and I drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "They cut him off when he started telling the truth. Just when I think KXTC can't surprise me any more, they find a way to do it."

"How bad is that pedophile Finneran looo-zinnng, Sheriff?" drawled the Chief.

"I'll put it this way." said the Sheriff. "I am envious of the numbers Goodwin is leading Finneran by. We're talking over 80% support for Goodwin by likely voters, across all spectrums: political Party, ethnicity, creed, and even orientation. Not even the LGBTQ faction is supporting Finneran."

"Looks like Karl Frazier had a random act of journalistic integrity, there." I said.

Tanya Muscone said "What did you guys think of Bettina's reporting of Carl's death?"

I said: "Bettina mentioned Cindy and her business as often as she possibly could, almost to the point of making that the story instead of the murder. Bettina also made a point to mention the business's clients. The reason I noticed that is because I told Cindy that if have to get a warrant for Carl's client list, Bettina would find out and blab it all over the place to try and hurt Cindy's business as much as possible. Silly me... Bettina is blabbing it all over the place and trying to hurt Cindy's business anyway."

"Commander Ross didn't just give you that data?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"Not yet, sir." I replied. "She said that Ariel and Wanda have input as partners, and I can understand that."

"I don't." growled the Sheriff... rather sharply, I might add. "She's a Town & County Police Officer."

"With respect, Sheriff," I said, "she's a business owner, too, and with partners that absolutely do not want to turn the data over voluntarily. I'm going to get the data anyway, sir, one way or the other."

It was very rare for Our Sheriff and Your Iron Crowbar to not be on the same side on something, and I could sense everyone else's amazement at what they'd just heard. The Sheriff looked back over his shoulder at me, and I met his look.

"I still don't like it." growled Griswold.

"Sheriff," said the Chief, to change the subject, "did the Fire Department get back to you on their tardy reports?"

"Yeah." said the Sheriff as he turned to face the table, and all of us. "Fire Chief Davies called me last night. He apologized for what he called a 'misunderstanding'. He said he thought our Officers were going to interview the Firefighters that were at the scene, so he told them to hold off submitting their reports until the interviews were done. I might add that that's not uncommon due to the influence of the Union, so I told him the TCPD would send some Officers over to interview his people."

"What, they can't submit their reports anyway?" asked Tanya Muscone, with some (okay, with great) skepticism.

"Like the Sheriff said, it's a Union thing." I said. "I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Firefighters getting interviewed either have or ask for Union reps. And to that point, Teresa, I wouldn't be shocked if Hendricks wants a Union rep when our guys talk to him. If he does, get him a Rep in there."

"I also have some great news." said Paulina. "The 'Jacquez 200' cases are almost a done deal. All but 20 of them took plea deals that included at least one serious felony, and State prisons will have 182 new visitors for at least the next two to five years, including Breonna Bryant. Those other 20 are going to be tried as one group, and Judge Watts is not entertaining Motions to Sever. So we're in good shape on that."

"That's great news!" I said enthusiastically.

Tanya said "Miriam really backed us up on all that. How are things in the D.A.'s Office?"

Paula shook her hand in a see-saw motion. "The jury's out on that, to coin a phrase. I think she was sincere in her stand against the Haters, and she intends to give the US DOJ holy hell. But Franklin and I aren't sure just how much of that was political motivation, and if she still wants to ultimately get rid of me. We'll see how things go with my caseload."

"And the Election." I said. "No one's talking about the Solicitor's race. Any idea how that's going Sheriff?"

"Most voters don't even know who's running." growled the Sheriff. "And worse, many don't even know what the Solicitor position is, nor what it does."