The Bachelorette's Secret Ch. 01

Story Info
The Bachelorette falls for the only man she can't have.
4.1k words
4.29
7.9k
13

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 11/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mikki poured another glass of rosé, enjoying the last bit of calm before the storm. In less than twelve hours, she would be meeting her future husband.

She sank into the plush couch and let the sultry voice of Lalah Hathaway melt away her anxiety. Being chosen as the Bachelorette was the most exciting - and nerve-wracking - thing she had ever done in her life. Her therapist was completely to blame.

Following a string of failed relationships, Mikki had decided to seek professional help, hoping to gain insight on why her relationships always ended in tears and dark chocolate binges. Her therapist had suggested she try something outside of her comfort zone. So, when her girlfriends plied her with wine and dared her to audition for The Bachelorette, Mikki accepted.

Two months later, here she was lounging in an upscale hotel room on the brink of embarking on the most terrifying journey of her life. More than not finding a husband, Mikki feared making a fool of herself on national television. A career in civil defense litigation meant she couldn't afford to become a laughing stock.

A heavy knock on the hotel door disrupted her anxious thoughts. It was after eight o'clock and she wasn't expecting any visitors. She was also under strict orders to get her beauty sleep for tomorrow's shoot.

"Mikki, it's me," a voice said from the other side of the door. "Steve."

Mikki shot up from the couch. "Coming!" She rushed to the mirror to adjust her sloppy bun and smooth her eyebrows.

She opened the door to Steve holding a bag of popcorn and a bottle of merlot. "I come bearing gifts," he said, eyeing her black yoga pants and baggy Spelman t-shirt. "I hope I didn't wake you."

"I couldn't sleep even if I wanted to," Mikki said. She motioned for him to come in.

"The night before is always the hardest," Steve said, stepping into the room. "Once you meet the men, the nerves will subside. And with the ten-hour shoots, you'll sleep like a baby."

This was Steve's thirteenth year hosting the show. Mikki readily accepted his advice.

He handed Mikki a short stack of papers. "Finally got the rest of the bios," he said. "Sorry for the delay, the producers had trouble agreeing on the last five guys. I'm not to leave without your top and bottom three."

"I'm surprised you didn't just shoot me an email," Mikki said, though she was grateful for the company.

"Not a fan of special deliveries?" Steve quirked an eyebrow.

"lt's not that I don't appreciate surprises. I just like a little advance notice."

Steve cracked a smile. "I'll make a note of that." He made his way to the kitchen. "We'll need wine. Opener?"

"On the counter near the fridge."

Steve maneuvered through the kitchen with purpose, uncorking the wine and searching for glasses. Mikki liked the way his body moved in fitted black jeans and the way his back muscles stretched his denim button-down shirt.

Ever since he'd visited her hometown, she felt connected to him, as though they'd been friends for years. A few weeks prior, he'd come for a preliminary interview and ended up charming her entire family, including her Federal judge father. Her parents had been skeptical about the show and concerned over how Mikki would be portrayed as the first African-American Bachelorette. Steve had masterfully allayed their concerns, making them supporters in the end.

Mikki joined him in the kitchen, taking a seat at the island. She scoffed at the first bio. "'Internet Enthusiast'? Please tell me this man has an actual job."

Steve chuckled. "He's a columnist for a popular entertainment blog. Guess he thought 'Internet Enthusiast' would help him stand out."

"Well, it just earned him a spot in the bottom three."

Steve whistled. "You're the toughest Bachelorette to date."

He joined her at the island, balancing two glasses of wine and a bowl of popcorn. She recalled Steve had worked as a waiter in Beverly Hills before he'd gotten his big break as the host of the Bachelorette.

"I'm looking for a husband, not someone to increase my Instagram followers," Mikki said.

Steve laughed and reached for the popcorn at the same time as her. Their hands touched. Mikki glanced up to find Steve staring at her. He edged his hand away.

"Ladies first," Steve said with a half-smile, his eyes still glued on her.

"Such a gentleman," she joked, though his playful chivalry secretly turned her on. She found it refreshing that he was as much of a gentleman in person as he was on TV. Mikki found it difficult to doubt his sincerity, which was a big deal for a cynic like her.

"Hmm?" she asked, not having caught what he said because she was too focused on how sexy his lips looked when he talked.

"There are definitely a few wild cards -- the producers need ratings. But I promise you, there really are some great candidates among the bunch. Our matchmakers are the best in the business."

Mikki flipped through the rest of the bios, taking notes on things she liked and disliked about each man. With no accompanying pictures, she could only judge the men by their responses to an in-depth list of personal questions.

The next song in her playlist started, Lalah Hathaway covering Angel for a live audience. Mikki hummed along as she finished up her notes.

"Anita's better," Steve said.

Mikki shook her head. "Anita's a queen, but I can't agree with you on that one, even if you are from my hometown." She'd found out Steve had grown up only a few miles from her.

"We'll have to agree to disagree then." Steve flashed his thousand-watt smile, his blue eyes twinkling with mischief.

Mikki ignored the butterflies in her stomach, writing down her top and bottom three. She handed the list to Steve.

"Thanks," he said, examining the sheet. "We'll make sure to interview these six tomorrow." He paused. "Hmmph...interesting."

"What?" Mikki refilled her glass with wine, riding the oncoming buzz.

"Ronnie's in your top three. I didn't think you'd go for a jock."

Mikki was amused. "Former jock." Though, she wasn't about to admit she'd only dated athletes in college. "Based on his responses, he seems witty."

"Witty? He listed 'home plate' as the craziest place he's had sex."

"That's nothing compared to my response."

"Really? Which is what?"

"I plead the fifth." She refilled his glass. "Have some more wine."

Later, Mikki and Steve lounged on the couch, their feet propped up on the coffee table. She had expected Steve to call it a night hours ago, but he was still here and she wasn't about to ask him to leave.

"Why are you still single?" Steve asked, after a comfortable pause in their conversation.

"There are two things you should never ask a woman," Mikki said, "her age and why she's single."

"Come on, it's a compliment," Steve said, turning to face her. "I mean, you're smart, funny...beautiful. And you're not afraid to challenge yourself. You should have guys knocking down your door."

"Believe it or not, some men are intimidated by a woman who can speak three languages and isn't afraid to express her opinion. Especially a black woman."

"Those guys are idiots."

"Hence, why I'm still single."

"What are you really looking for in a man? And don't give me the canned responses you fed the producers." Steve leaned in. "What would a man have to do to sweep you off your feet?"

Mikki turned to face him. The interest in Steve's clear blue eyes made her heart skip a beat. "I'm a simple girl, it doesn't take much."

"I don't believe that."

"It's true. I just want a man who's confident, hard-working and loves me like there's no tomorrow. Simple."

"And what if he's got kids?."

"I love kids. So if he was everything I wanted, I most definitely would."

"You're not like most women, you know that?"

"No woman is. We're extremely complex creatures."

"I was married to a woman for 15 years. Trust me, I know. It's just - you're open to experiences most people wouldn't even consider. Like dating someone with kids, or becoming the next Bachelorette. It's admirable."

"You couldn't have said that two years ago. It's taken a lot of therapy to get to this point."

"Whatever the case, you're an amazing woman." Steve's eyes grew dark.

"Thank you," Mikki whispered.

They sat in silence, breathing the same steamy air. Mikki's eyes flitted to his lips as she willed Steve to kiss her.

He cleared his throat and rose from the couch. "It's getting late, I should probably head back. I need to sort out a few final details with production."

Mikki followed him to the door, masking her disappointment. "Producer and host? I'm impressed."

"I'm definitely no producer; not yet, at least. I've been hosting the show for twelve years now, so they tend to value my opinion."

"I'll trust I'm in good hands then," she said, opening the hotel door.

"Well," Steve said, standing in the doorway. "Get plenty of sleep tonight. Tomorrow's gonna be a long day."

"Yes, sir." Mikki gave him a mock salute. "Gotta look good for my future husband."

Steve's expression grew serious and he just stood there, staring at her. Again.

"You ok--" Before Mikki could finish, Steve pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

Mikki's body responded immediately. Steve's lips weren't as full as hers, but his vigor made up for the difference. His kiss was hungry and sensual. She moaned when his hands gripped her waist and he sucked on her bottom lip.

Damn, she thought, wanting him to caress every inch of her body with those lips. Just as she began to slide her fingers through his silky brown curls, he ended the mind-blowing kiss with a gentle peck on the corner of her mouth.

"Good night," he whispered, before turning to leave.

Mikki stood speechless for the first time in her life, her body burning as she watched him go.

#

Steve adjusted his tie as he stood in the mansion driveway awaiting Mikki's arrival. He was nervous to see her again, like he was the one waiting to meet his future spouse. This was new territory for him, he hadn't felt this nervous about a woman since college.

Mikki intrigued him. Whenever he thought he'd figured her out, she'd hurl something at him from left field. He wanted to peel back her complex layers and get to the core of her. He'd had only one rule as the host of The Bachelorette - never fall in love with the talent. Twelve seasons and he'd never even been tempted. Until Mikki.

She was everything Steve wanted in a woman -- intelligent, kind, funny and absolutely gorgeous. If he was really being honest with himself, he'd fallen for her the first day they met. Her smile had drawn him in and her sharp wit kept his attention. And her body was a work of art, from her silky brown skin to her shapely thighs.

"Get it together," Steve whispered to himself.

"What?" Sarah's voice barked from his earpiece.

"Just running through my lines," Steve said more clearly.

Sarah was a producer and colleague. She'd gone from film school grad to producer in less than three years. They weren't exactly friends, but he respected her talent and drive.

"The eagle has landed," Sarah said.

Steve stood a little straighter as Mikki's limo pulled up. The middle-aged driver exited and opened Mikki's door. She stepped out of the limo and into the night.

Steve's eyes widened. The beads of her designer dress sparkled, the ivory garment hugging every voluptuous curve. Her locs were pulled into an intricate updo that further accentuated her long neck. Her full lips were painted deep red.

"You're drooling," Sarah said, breaking the trance. He wasn't drooling, but his mouth was hanging open slightly. Steve shook it off and switched to host mode.

"Mikki, welcome," he said, holding his arms wide open for a hug. The cameras were on them.

"Thank you," Mikki said, embracing him.

She smells so good, Steve thought, resisting the urge to sniff her. His hand brushed the soft skin on the small of her exposed back.

Before he could stop himself, he whispered into her ear, "You look beautiful."

"You too," she whispered back.

"How ya feelin'?" Steve asked as he pulled away. His Southern accent crept out when he was overly excited.

Mikki exhaled and smiled. "Nervous. And I don't get nervous often."

You're not the only one. "We're all here," Steve said, taking her hands in his, "to help you find the man of your dreams."

"I can't wait," Mikki said.

Steve winked, hoping the cameras - and Sarah - didn't catch it. Mikki's smile brightened.

The limo with the first group of guys entered the driveway. "The first limo's arriving. Are you ready to meet the guys?"

"Yes," Mikki said.

Steve just stood there smiling. She squeezed his hands slightly.

"Steve!" Sarah snapped. He refocused. I'm here to do a job. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Good luck," he said, going in for another hug. He breathed her in, not wanting to let her go.

The limo stopped a few yards in front of them and he delivered the same lukewarm line he did every year. "Let the journey begin."

"Thank you," Mikki said, turning away from him to face the limo.

Steve walked off-camera, taking a seat next to Sarah on the sidelines. She sipped from a huge Starbucks cup, her eyes glued to a 50" screen that displayed shots of five cameras at various angles.

"I can't do much with long pauses, Steve," Sarah said, not taking her eyes off the screen.

A makeup artist dabbed sweat from his forehead and applied fresh foundation. "This isn't my first rodeo," Steve said. "You got what you needed."

"It could've been better."

He sometimes wondered why Sarah stuck around on a show like The Bachelorette. She wasn't a romantic like him and openly expressed disdain for viewers who actually took the show seriously.

"Just try to remember you're the host, not one of the contestants," Sarah said. She smiled for the first time that night. "Money shot."

Steve watched the screen as Ronnie headed for Mikki, donning a lecherous smile and a baseball bat slung over his shoulder. Ronnie leaned down to hug her, holding on a little longer than necessary.

"Mikki," Ronnie said, looking her up and down. "You look fantastic."

"Less is more, buddy," Steve said, watching it all unfold as a spectator.

"The viewers will love-hate him so much. I'm definitely getting a raise." Sarah sounded almost giddy.

"I'm Ronnie. You're even more dazzling in person." He planted a small peck on Mikki's hand.

"Thank you," Mikki said, her deep brown eyes sparkling. "You're not so bad yourself."

She can't seriously like this guy, can she?

"Though I'm not quite sure how to feel about the bat," Mikki said.

"Oh, this is Babe," Ronnie said. He ran his cupped hand along the mahogany bat. "I hit every home run of my career with this girl."

Ronnie pulled a baseball from his pocket. "Hopefully, she'll help me hit a home run for your heart," Ronnie said. He tossed the baseball in the air and swung the bat, connecting perfectly. A crack resounded and the ball cleared the driveway, soaring into the night sky. Seconds later a car alarm blared.

"I need someone on that ASAP," Sarah said to no one in particular. A frenzied assistant sprinted across the lawn toward the alarm.

Mikki chuckled. "You're trouble."

"Only the good kind." Ronnie pulled her in for another hug, parting with a noisy kiss on the cheek. Mikki watched him go, a smile plastered on her face.

Steve made a note to interrogate him thoroughly during the cocktail party interviews. Next out of the limo was Matt, a divorced martial arts instructor with an eight-year old daughter. From Mikki's body language, Steve could tell she wasn't all that into him. Matt seemed nice enough, but could easily be mistaken for her uncle. Kevin was next, the law student in his early 30s. Mikki had chosen to include younger guys in the candidate pool, not wanting to rule someone out because of age. Kevin kept her laughing the whole time, running his hand nervously through his spiky black hair, but she hugged him like a younger brother.

A thunderous motorcycle engine boomed in the distance. Up the driveway rode Damon on a black Harley Davidson Low Rider, his biceps on full display in a white t-shirt and leather vest. Damon pulled up to Mikki and cut the engine. He deftly traded the vest for a suit jacket matching his dress pants.

"Beautiful bike," Mikki said.

"Beautiful woman," Damon said, kissing her hand. "I hope to take you for a ride someday."

"I look forward to it," Mikki said, apparently charmed by the tall, brunette firefighter. Lacking originality, Steve thought.

The producer picks came next, all too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Oscar, a bulky physics professor, came dressed as Einstein. Noah, who Sarah coined "The Slut," couldn't keep his fake tan hands off Mikki. The long-haired comedian, Javier, was more interested in getting a laugh than he was in Mikki. And Peter was a middle-aged mess, sporting jeans and a t-shirt.

However, through all the shenanigans, Mikki remained gracious and poised, giving each contestant a warm welcome. She was as charming on camera as she was off-camera and possibly the best Bachelorette to date.

Terence was the last of the men to arrive. He was Steve's top pick for the final rose pool. He had the build of a football player, but practiced as a pediatrician. Besides the fact that he was thirty-seven and still single, his only fault was that he seemed too good to be true.

"You look amazing," he said, kissing Mikki's hand.

"Thank you," she said. "I'm feelin' the bow tie."

Terence laughed. "My niece made me promise to wear it the first night."

"She's got great taste, it suits you," Mikki said, her eyes twinkling.

"So you're into nerd. I can work with that."

"I grew up on comic books. If I were Japanese, I'd be a serious otaku."

They laughed easily together. Steve had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. It was like they were the nerdy version of the Obamas.

"Ok, we should just elope right now," Terence said, taking her hand. "There's no way we're not made for each other." He kissed her on the cheek this time.

Steve watched Mikki as she watched Terence head into the mansion. The disarming geek had definitely sparked her interest.

Sarah sighed and chucked her coffee cup into the trash. "Those two are perfect. And it's boring the hell out of me."

Steve had no argument there -- perfect was boring. But Mikki was nowhere near boring -- and nowhere near perfect. He'd seen her interactions with her father. And he'd caught a glimpse of the hairline crack in her perfect veneer. Eventually, Sarah would see it too. Steve couldn't stand by and watch her toy with Mikki the way she'd toyed with the last Bachelorette.

But he had a lot at stake too. He needed to show that he had the gumption and drive to become a producer. And he couldn't risk it all for a woman who intended to marry another man.

Steve headed for the open bar. Tonight was going to be a long night.

#

Mikki yawned. Five hours after the last limo arrived, she'd finally wrapped up the last of the one-on-one conversations. Sarah had kept the guys coming, encouraging them to interrupt each other, stirring up tension among the group.

The night had been both invigorating and exhausting. Her cheeks ached from all the smiling and her shoulders were a knotted mess. Some conversations had been thought-provoking, others sexy and flirtatious, and the rest complete duds. But there was one guy who'd stood out from all the others and she was really looking forward to getting to know him better.

"Time for the First Impression Rose," Sarah said, presenting the the lapel rose on a small silver platter.

She wondered how Sarah could look so fresh at two in the morning, like she'd just stepped out of the shower. Mikki felt like death warmed over and was sure she looked it too.

12