All Comments on 'The Bakelite Legacy'

by RiverMaya

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
mordbrandmordbrandover 3 years ago
In the days when everyone has a smartphone

Few remember that time when people only had a radio or maybe a TV whose antenna could only get a station or three to find out what was going on in the world.

Great story, 5*

rawallacerawallaceover 3 years ago
Enjoyable

History based and well written as usual. Only one very minor thing I noticed was that the radio was said to 'broadcast'. These radios receive a broadcast and do not transmit. Please don't mind my nit-pick. Well done.

RiverMayaRiverMayaover 3 years agoAuthor
Reply to mordbrand

Thank you very much!

OneAuthorOneAuthorover 3 years ago
Very well written

I could feel the emotions in every word. Thank you for publishing this story.

HaydenDLinderHaydenDLinderover 3 years ago

5 Stars. I loved this piece. Very well done. :)

Lector77Lector77over 3 years ago
Very nicely written.

Thank you for a fine vignette.

I'm curious about the spelling of concejal, Spanish for councillor, alderman.

In the Phillipines is that often spelled with an initial "k"?

RiverMayaRiverMayaover 3 years agoAuthor
Comment

From me and the members of my family who actually lived the experience, but, sadly, are no longer with me:

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

RiverMayaRiverMayaover 3 years agoAuthor
Comment

@rawallace

No worries and thank you! I am here to learn and am soaking every new thing like a sponge. ♡

ReadyOneReadyOneover 3 years ago
Radios broadcast sound

I have no problem with your usage of the word. It's part of the imagery of the piece, the room filled with sound for the people to hear.

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77over 3 years ago

As a WWII history buff, I loved this. Thank you!

norafaresnorafaresover 3 years ago

Very beautiful and enjoyable to read the second time.

RiverMayaRiverMayaover 3 years agoAuthor
Reply to Lector77

As it turns out, replacing the letter "c" with the letter "k" became the norm only around 1946, which was the time independence was granted to the Philippines, I suppose it was an off shoot of that. Prior to 1946, the Spanish spelling was used. Thank tou for asking :)

johsunjohsunover 3 years ago

Wow! Good story. I've always been interested in the Philippines, but never been there. My dad was born there - after the war. His dad, my gramps, worked for a company that had a presence there. They moved back home when dad was ten. He talked about the reminders of the war - how it wasn't unusual to find spent shell casings now and then - how the Filipinos didn't like the Japanese at all. The Jitneys or jeepneys? The Caratellas? And how many thought MacArthur was a puffed up egotistical fool. He botched the defense fo the islands, then got the nickname "Dugout Doug" 'cause he never appeared near the fighting and was the first into the shelters during bombings. The feelings he heard was that MacArthur advanced in the Army because his dad was a General with influence, and how Dugout Doug was ALWAYS eager to talk about and advance himself, and acted and lived like some potentate in his headquarters throughout the war.

But an interesting story, good one. Five stars.

JuanaSalsaJuanaSalsaover 2 years ago

This short story actually made me cry. The last sentence did it. I wasn't expecting to hit right in the feels!

chytownchytown11 months ago

****Short and interesting read like a true story. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRiverMaya@RiverMaya
July 15, 2023 My poem is in the latest issue of Spirit Fire Review: https://www.spiritfirereview.com/post/new-issue-of-spirit-fire-review-1