The Bearded Clam Mystery Ch. 05

Story Info
Nancy Drew believes a new acquaintance is in danger.
1.9k words
4.13
1.2k
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/27/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nancy's original plan to get into Dr. Chang's office was to gain Beulah's confidence and somehow drug her with the sleeping powder she obtained from Brianna. That didn't seem possible now given the Negro maid's suspicious nature. Also, being alone with Beulah was just an open invitation to another lesbian assault. There had to be another way. From the outside the girl detective noted the barred windows on the ground floor of the infamous house. The building seemed fortified.

"I saw Beulah and you kissing in the hall a little while ago," said George casually. Nancy could feel herself blushing furiously. Bess and Brianna were walking ahead of them. They were engaged in conversation and not paying any attention to them so Nancy signaled George to follow her behind an ivy-covered wall that hid an overgrown garden. "I didn't mean to spy but you two didn't hear me the first time I walked in."

"It's not what you think," Nancy said. "Beulah was forcing me."

"It didn't look like you were being forced." Nancy knew she would have to scrap yet another plan which was to not confide in anyone. She would have to explain to George what happened, but before she could reply she found herself in George's embrace and being kissed. The girl detective was so startled she didn't resist. Her friend stepped back and looked ashamed. "I can't believe I did that," George said. "I never even had the desire to do such a thing until I saw you with that maid. But I can't honestly say I'm sorry I did it. I've been in love with you for as long I can remember. I can't speak for Bess, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are her secret someone. Are you disgusted with me yet?"

"I'm not," Nancy replied. "But let's discuss this once we're away from here. This place is evil and it's affecting all of us." She felt so confused. George's kiss was gentle, unlike Beulah's, and Nancy wanted to respond in kind.

"Then let's get the heck out of here before it's too late," George said. Nancy thought George's advice made sense but she wasn't willing to admit defeat.

"Go ahead and take the blue roadster," Nancy replied. "Take Bess with you. I have to find out what that evil doctor is up to. I'll make excuses for you."

"There's no way we're going to leave you here alone no matter what happens," George responded. "So tell me what you think is going on here."

"I have no idea yet," Nancy admitted. "That's why I want to get into Chang's office to take a look around." She related the events that occurred during the night and that morning. Nancy also told of overhearing Chang's conversation with her maid.

"I'm usually a very light sleeper," said George. "I don't remember Bess getting up at all."

"Well, I know it wasn't my imagination and I wasn't dreaming it. Bess really did meet with Madame Chang late last night but, she doesn't remember that at all. I'm sure it has something to do with that hypnotic trance that evil woman put her under. What's the matter?" George's face suddenly became pale and it looked like she was about to faint.

"I had a bad dream last night and I'm just now recalling it."

"What was the dream?"

"I was having sex with a man."

"That's not so unusual, is it?" Most single girls have those fantasies, don't they?

"The man I was having sex with was Lester."

"That wasn't just a bad dream, George," said Nancy. "That was a total nightmare."

"It's even scarier than that, Nancy," George replied, her voice cracking with emotion. "I woke up sore down there this morning. I thought it was cramps, but now that I think about it, it's the wrong time of the month." The girl detective gasped in horror at just the possibility of what her friend was implying. What she went through with Beulah was nothing compared to being sexually assaulted by Lester.

"Surely nothing could have happened without you waking up at some point."

"I'm not sure of anything anymore," her friend replied. "Bess was downstairs with Dr. Chang and she doesn't remember a thing. What if that Chinese woman somehow hypnotized me or put some kind of drug in my food or drink? I'm just plain scared now."

"I don't blame you," Nancy replied. "I've got to get inside that office and find out what they're hiding. And it has to be today while Chang is away."

"With Beulah guarding that door I don't see how it's possible. Like she said, you'd have to be able to walk through that office wall." Maybe I can the girl detective thought excitedly. Maybe I can. Nancy's thoughts were interrupted by Bess and Brianna's appearance.

"Hey, you two," Bess called. "We turn our backs for a minute and you guys disappear."

"I thought we were playing hide and seek," said George. "It's our turn to be it. You two can go hide now."

Nancy finally recalled a detail from the newspaper article describing the raid on the house. The ringleaders were able to evade arrest by the authorities by escaping through a hidden door leading out of the office and through a tunnel that ended near the riverbank. Dr. Chang and Beulah were likely aware of the tunnel. Maybe not. Would they have taken precautions and blocked the tunnel knowing that the escape route was now public knowledge? Had they even read the article? The girl detective decided to take the chance that they had been careless. She would look for the riverbank entrance to the tunnel and work her way back to Chang's office.

Nancy steered her friends toward the riverbank so she could look for clues to the tunnel entrance. It was surprisingly easy to find for the trained eye. A slightly worn path that even the winter snow or the spring rain could not entirely obliterate began at the river's edge and led to a stand of trees before disappearing. She was sure the tunnel entrance was hidden there.

"I need to do some exploring," Nancy said, "but if I disappear Beulah will be sure to notice."

"I'll cover for you," George replied.

"Thanks. I'm just not sure how we'll do it yet. Beulah comes looking for us about every five minutes and I'm sure it's to keep an eye on me."

"I'll distract her."

"With what?"

"Listen," said George, "you may be pretty, but I'm not exactly chopped liver."

"I couldn't let you do that." The girl detective was appalled at her friend's suggestion. "It's too dangerous."

"You seem to have survived the ordeal. Besides, you haven't come up with a better idea." Nancy remained silent and George said, "Who knows? I might like it."

"I don't like this a bit," said Nancy. "When shall we do it?"

"I'm hungry," said Bess.

"We didn't eat that long ago," Brianna teased.

"Hey, don't discourage a growing girl," said George. "Now is as good a time as any," she told Nancy.

"Now is a good time as any for what," Bess asked.

"Now is a good time as any to have a snack, dear cousin," George replied.

"I'm not actually that hungry," Bess stage whispered. "I'm kind of sore in an unmentionable place." Nancy and George exchanged looks and they started walking back to the mansion.

Nancy couldn't quite believe what she was seeing even though she expected it. George was subtly flirting with Beulah while the Negro maid was serving snacks. Her friend "accidentally" brushed Beulah's hand at one point and gave her a coy smile. It seemed to be working. Beulah was more attentive to George even though Bess and Brianna didn't seem to notice. The colored lesbian did her own share of "accidentally" brushing up against George. Finally George made an excuse and left the parlor. From where the girl detective was sitting, she could see George sit down at the foot of the staircase and lift her skirt above her stocking tops. She pretended to fiddle with a garter strap making sure Beulah was getting a nice view.

Beulah was taking the bait. She stood stock still while George displayed her charms and then a beckoning smile. Beulah left the remaining group without another word. Nancy saw George and Beulah speak briefly and then climb the stairs together. As soon as they disappeared Nancy sprung into action. "I have to get something from the automobile," she said to no one in particular.

"We'll still be here," said Bess as she munched on her second cupcake. Nancy hurried to her blue roadster and grabbed a flashlight out of her tool box and an extra lock pick. It was too dangerous to go upstairs to retrieve her purse. Beulah might hear her. She wished she'd brought her revolver, but she left it home. She originally thought this was going to be a social occasion.

Nancy raced to where she believed the riverside tunnel entrance began. It wasn't hidden that well; behind some dead plant debris. She felt the cool air emanating from the tunnel. The girl detective's flashlight lifted the gloomy darkness a few feet in front of her. The tunnel appeared well-built with stone walls and floor. The ceiling was reinforced with heavy timbers. Two people could easily walk abreast and not have to crouch. It was a straight shot to the mansion with just a few side tunnels with piles of broken glass which were once bottles filled with illicit liquor. Nancy didn't linger. She was on a mission and had very little time to spare.

The passage widened a bit when Nancy reached some stairs, really not much more than a ladder. She figured to be underneath the house now and started climbing until it ended at a small platform and a blank wall. The girl detective hoped this wasn't a wild goose chase and led where she hoped it led. Her love of mystery stories told her that if she pressed a certain brick a hidden door would slide open and allow her to pass through. Eureka! It happened just she suspected. A catch released and a narrow door opened slightly. Nancy slipped through to a small closet which opened to reveal a part of the house Nancy hadn't been in yet, the evil doctor's private study.

The room was luxuriously appointed with Persian carpets and a Tiffany lamp atop a teak wood roll-top desk. There were Oriental antiques throughout, but Nancy didn't have time to admire the decor. She had to discover the mysterious Chinese woman's secret plan and gather evidence which she could take to the authorities. And do it quickly. Nancy hoped George was all right. She was sure George couldn't realize what she was in for by allowing the Negro maid to seduce her. She'd never forgive herself if George came to harm at the hands of the colored lesbian.

The unlocked drawers held nothing of interest to Nancy. However there was a locked file drawer and the girl detective set about the task of unlocking it with her pick. It took longer than Nancy would have liked. She could feel beads of sweat forming on her brow, but the young woman finally heard a satisfying click. The drawer pulled open and Nancy began to skim the files.

"Holy mackerel!" Nancy gasped after a few minutes. This stuff would be sending the evil doctor to prison for a very long time if not the rest of her life. Nancy heard a slight noise and looked up. The doctor herself was standing in the doorway looking very upset. She was holding a snub-nosed revolver and the business end was pointed right at Nancy.