All Comments on 'The Bed, the Bath, and Beyond'

by Peter_Cleveland

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
JBEdwardsJBEdwardsover 1 year ago

Okay, I'm biased of course, but this is a wonderful little story. When I was in graduate school I always thought it was tacky to seduce one's married adviser: that's perhaps why I focused on other professors. Ultimately it was a smart move. Thank you for all the mentions and subtle inside jokes sprinkled in, such as quotes from my own stories. I'm sure every reader will be envious of you and Stephanie, except of course for those twenty-something women toting two guns. I loved the story. Love you, Joanie Bernstein

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Fun, although I'm reasonably certain no one involved with The Workshop ever drinks at the Airliner.

BenLongBenLongover 1 year ago

Those damn illegal Canadians stuffing ballot boxes in stealing the election? A nice chuckle point.

Quite a few cringe points all tied together in one story. May – September romance, sex with the ex, sex with the boss (or mentor)… And they all lived happily ever after. At least for now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You lost me at lecturing your readers before the story started.

Peter_ClevelandPeter_Clevelandover 1 year agoAuthor

To Anonymous ("Fun, although I'm reasonably certain..."):

DANG! I knew someone would call me out on that one eventually. I just never dreamed it would happen so quickly! :-)

--Best, Peter

legsfeettoeslegsfeettoesover 1 year ago

Peter, five stars. Totally delightful. I love everything you write. More. please! And I hope soon.

tennesseeredtennesseeredover 1 year ago

Here's a rare treat on Lit., a very original plot. I liked the coruscating dialogue and the absence of big words I had to look up. I really liked how the characters seemed to like each other in spite of their foibles and past differences. It just further confirms what I've always suspected: The academic life has it all. 5*

Blueman5410Blueman5410over 1 year ago

Wonderful and witty--and of course although the story had a lot of believable parts in it...I guess it WAS fantasy...right? (Oh except the sex with the governor thing?....LOL!) Thanks for a very enjoyable and well-written story!!

WittonWittonover 1 year ago

This piece truly deserves a 10 or 11 - ingenious plot, world class twist at the end (I saw its equal in Playboy fifty years ago [we all read it just for the high quality writing, correct?] and never forgot it) great dialog, a completely plausible backstory - marvelous .... simply fuckng marvelous

Jaydean409Jaydean409over 1 year ago

Loved it! Funny and intriguing, liked the characters! I’ve gotten away from writing anymore because people like you intimidate me, LOL???? Tried to give it 5 stars but it wouldn’t register for some reason. Will there be more chapters????

maninconnmaninconnover 1 year ago
Your first two paragraphs

I’ve gave you 5* just for your spot on description of teaching. I’ll log on anonymously if I like the rest as much, and give you five more. Now, back to paragraph 3…

And thanks for writing!

maninconnmaninconnover 1 year ago
Yup, whole story just as good.

This main character was quite interesting. I suppose you’ve managed to capture the writer as well as the teacher in this character, and you’ve brought out something quite likeable in a guy who is a total horn dog. All of your characters take on such an air of “it’s inevitable” that I think I envy the women in his life that find him so easy to be with him, knowing they are not the only one. I realize the irresistible man is a strong trope in LW, but this guy is different.

Great tale!

Hiker66BikerHiker66Bikerover 1 year ago

Peter, I loved the creativity of your plot, the quality of your writing, the characters, the backstory and the descriptions set in a place and time. I’m a sucker for stories set in specific locations so I had to explore Iowa City, Cedar Rapids and Hartford on Google Maps. Thanks for sharing. 5 stars, but deserves 10 and added to my favourites. Also, thanks for pointing me to JBEdwards. I will explore her archive soon.

Peter_ClevelandPeter_Clevelandabout 1 year agoAuthor

On April 23, 2023, the "Bed, Bath & Beyond" chain of household-goods stores filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the United States. Lacking a buyer, it immediately began the process of closing its 1,020 BB&B stores in the U.S. and Mexico and liquidating the company's assets. The company had previously begun shutting down its Canadian operations.

The chain is mourned primarily by the United States Postal Service, which received about half its revenues for delivering those big blue-and-white post cards bearing "20% off" coupons.

This comment is posted for the benefit of future graduate students in English writing papers and dissertations on the meanings of Peter_Cleveland's story titles. (Just kidding.)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPeter_Cleveland@Peter_Cleveland
A new story is nearing completion. It should be up and running by the end of October, 2023. (It's not a Halloween story, though.) The series "New Corporate Courtesan" is still in progress, but the Muse seems to have lost a bit of interest in it--only temporarily, I hope. Tha...