The Black Cat, Vol. I, No. 5, February 1896

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Do you know, he thought just what you did, because she wouldn’t marry him instead of going off for what he called a—a ‘career’? And he’d known her ever since she was a little girl, too, and ought to have known better, oughtn’t he?”

“Yes,” said the Great Man huskily, “I suppose he ought. But you see the Queen didn’t tell him about—about the money she was paying back. And she was a great deal younger than he, and beautiful, with a voice that people said would make her famous, and he thought that she really cared more to be a stage queen than anything else.

“Tell me, dear, has she still the ring that he gave her when she was a little girl?”

“The teenty little forget-me-not ring that she wears on a chain and often kis— But—how did you know?” stammered the child, twisting around and staring up into his face. “I never told you the rest, and your eyes are so strange—”

But the Great Man had risen and was striding rapidly up and down the car. “And Alice really cared for me—she cares for me still,” he murmured. “While I, who ought to have stood by her have only hindered her. And now she needs help, and I with all my money haven’t the right to help her. It’s too late—I can never make up for the time I’ve lost—”

“I hope you don’t mind,” said the small girl who stood as if petrified just where he had left her; “but you spoke so loud I couldn’t help hearing the last. And if you mean the train to Washita, it isn’t too late. If you could get it here in fifteen minutes—and I s’pose that’s easy, for a king—we could give the performance, even if the curtain did ring up late.”

“Train to Washita,” murmured the Great Man—“Why, yes; of course! How stupid of me,” as he pressed the electric button. “Let’s see, how many are there of you?”

“Twenty-two now,” said the child, “but I don’t quite—”

“And you haven’t had the best of fare in the hotels?”

“Well, it hasn’t been very bad, but yesterday and to-day we’ve pretended we didn’t want any lunch, because we knew how things were with—”

“Never mind,” said the man with something like a groan, “I only wanted to know on account of the orders.”

Then, to the porter, “Ask the conductor to step here.”

“The Golden Crown Opera Company have been delayed here,” he said, when that official appeared, “and I want them to take this special train to Washita. Put the whole party in my private car. Tell the engineer he must make extra time to get them there at six-thirty. Telegraph ahead for a clear track, and to Casstown for supplies, so that dinner may be served in this car. When the train is ready to start step over to the station and tell the company that the train for Washita is waiting. And be sure that everything is done to make them comfortable. I will follow on the regular express.”

As the conductor withdrew, the Great Man found himself suddenly caught in the embrace of what seemed a small-sized tornado. “You really mean it?” cried the child, half sobbing. “We’re not going to disband, after all! Oh, I was sure from the beginning that you were a really, truly king, even if you didn’t wear a crown and velvet robes. But,” with a sudden clouding of her face, “you won’t go away just when the Queen’s coming?”

“Well, you see, the fact is,” said the Great Man, setting the Princess carefully in the depths of the Turkish chair, “these meetings with royalty are so unusual for me that I feel hardly prepared for another one the same day. So I think I’ll follow in a common car. And in the morning I’ll ask for a private audience with the Queen.”

[Illustration]

ADVERTISEMENTS

Ayer’s Cherry Pectoral CURES Coughs, Colds, and Diseases of Throat and Lungs.

Gold Medal at World’s Fair.

_FIFTY YEARS OF CURES._

* * * * *

PEARS’

“And fast by hangs this pendant to the world”—=It’s Pears’=—The soap that, like a rich jewel, brightens even beauty’s charms—Matchless for the Complexion—Luxurious for the bath—and cheapest, for it lasts longest.

All sorts of people use it. All sorts of stores sell it.

* * * * *

Thousands

OF SUFFERERS from KIDNEY, LIVER, and URINARY TROUBLES have

Lost Their Lives

because they failed to use the only medicine which will positively cure these disorders, and which for

Over 40 Years

has been recommended by the foremost doctors, has been used in the leading hospitals, and has SAVED LIVES in every part of the globe. That medicine is

HUNT’S REMEDY

Correspondence with our Consulting Physicians (_free of charge and confidential_), solicited.

HUNT’S REMEDY CO., PROVIDENCE, R.I.

* * * * *

Au Chat Noir.

“A Black Cat in the House Means Money.”—_New England Tales._

A Daugherty-Visible Typewriter In the Office Means Money Saved.

PRICE $75.00.

Rapid, Durable, Efficient. Not as Old as Many, but BETTER than ANY.

Gold Medal at Atlanta for Merit.

Machines sent on trial. Send a reference.

THE DAUGHERTY TYPEWRITER CO.

Factory: Kittanning, Pa. 140 Dearborn St., Chicago. 15 Sixth St., Pittsburg, Pa. 112 So. 6th St., Phila.

* * * * *

Ladies

we are making a Lamp different from all others and much superior. It will not =smoke=, =smell= nor =explode=—no “outs” about it.

Send =$1.20= for a lamp, without the glassware—=$1.75= with chimney and shade—delivered free, or postal for Catalogue telling all about it.

Bridgeport Brass Co., BRIDGEPORT, CONN.,

or 19 Murray St., N. Y. City.

* * * * *

SPARKLING Londonderry Lithia SPRING WATER

LONDONDERRY LITHIA SPRING WATER _Nashua, N.H._

There’s Health in Sparkling Londonderry.

Copyright, 1895, by Londonderry Lithia Spring Water Co., Nashua, N. H.

* * * * *

THE BOSTON HERALD.

New England’s Greatest Newspaper.

The New England advertising field is the best on this continent.

In this great field The Boston Herald stands supreme. Its circulation, character, and influence make it the ideal newspaper.

Its Purchasing Power is Unequalled.

* * * * *

IF YOU’RE A PIPE SMOKER

A TRIAL WILL CONVINCE THAT GOLDEN SCEPTRE IS PERFECTION

SEND 10cts FOR SAMPLE PACKAGE—PRICES 1lb 1.30; ¼lb 40cts. POSTAGE PAID, CATALOGUE FREE. SURBRUG, 159 FULTON ST., N.Y. CITY.

* * * * *

Consumption

AND ITS CURE

TO THE EDITOR:—I have an absolute remedy for Consumption. By its timely use thousands of hopeless cases have been already permanently cured. So proof-positive am I of its power that I consider it my duty to _send two bottles free_ to those of your readers who have Consumption, Throat, Bronchial or Lung Trouble, if they will write me their express and postoffice address. Sincerely, T. A. SLOCUM, M. C., 183 Pearl St., New York.

In writing please say you saw this in The Black Cat.

* * * * *

The Imperial Hair Regenerator

NO MATTER HOW GRAY YOUR HAIR IS—OR BLEACHED—OR SPOILED BY DYES—MAKES IT BEAUTIFUL, NATURAL, HEALTHY.

=Restores= Gray Hair to its Original Color.

=Regenerates= Bleached Hair.

Gives it new life and vigor, and makes it any color desired.

It is guaranteed by court tests absolutely harmless—and genuine. There are many substitutes. Refuse to take them.

No. 1.—Black. No. 2.—Dark Brown. No. 3.—Medium Brown. No. 4.—Chestnut. No. 5.—Light Chestnut. No. 6.—Gold Blonde. No. 7.—Ash Blonde.

PRICE, $1.50 and $3.00.

Send a sample of your hair, and we will restore its color free of charge.

IMPERIAL CHEMICAL MFG. CO. 292 Fifth Avenue, New York. Between 30th and 31st Streets. Take Elevator.

* * * * *

Money For Story Tellers.

$100.00—For a Ghost Story. $150.00—For a Story of Adventure. $200.00—For a Story of Mystery. $500.00—For a Detective Story. $1,000.00—For a Love Story.

For such short stories as the publishers of THE BLACK CAT desire they pay promptly, on acceptance, a higher price than is paid by any other publication anywhere. But they want only the most fascinating stories that can be told,—stories that both in plot and handling are outside of the beaten path of fiction,—stories so full of incident and movement and so cleverly handled as to interest every one,—stories tersely told, which never, either in whole or part, have appeared in print before, and which are free from padding, foreign phrases, and attempted fine writing. No dialect stories, poetry, or translations will be considered.

To receive attention, all manuscripts must bear the writer’s full name and address, together with the number of words, which may range from fifteen hundred to five thousand, but must in no case exceed the latter number; they must be very legibly written, sent unrolled, and accompanied by addressed and stamped envelopes for their return. Manuscripts will be received and returned only at the writer’s risk. All stories will be judged purely on their own merits, and the writer’s name or reputation will carry no weight whatever. Payment for accepted manuscripts will be made—not according to length, but according to the editor’s opinion of their worth. Manuscripts will be paid for on the day of acceptance.

THE SHORTSTORY PUBLISHING CO., 144 High St., Boston, Mass.

Copyright, 1895, by The Shortstory Publishing Co.

* * * * *

Columbia Bicycles

Nearer Perfection THAN EVER.

Would you know all the delight of silent gliding bicycle motion? Then secure one of the 1896 Columbias. The price is $100 to all alike. Standard bicycle, standard price.

Beautiful Art Catalogue of Columbia and Hartford Bicycles is free if you call upon any Columbia agent; by mail from us for two 2-cent stamps.

The Columbia Desk Calendar should be in the possession of every busy man or woman. By mail for five 2-cent stamps. Address Calendar Department.

POPE MANUFACTURING CO. Factories and General Offices, Hartford, Conn.

Branch Stores and Agencies in almost every city and town. If Columbias are not properly represented in your vicinity let us know.

* * * * *

THE DIFFERENCE.

=One= agrees with even the weakest stomach, digests your food, nourishes your nerves, and feeds your blood—that’s Heather Blossom Pure Old Malt.

=The others= excite even the strongest stomach into an unnatural appetite, hinder digestion, starve your nerves, poison your blood—these are the hundred and one other kinds of whiskey.

THE REASON

Heather Blossom Pure Old Malt differs from all other whiskeys as flour differs from sand. It is made under different conditions. It is made by a different process. It tastes different. Its effects are different.

THE RESULT.

The result is that all physicians who have tested and analyzed it use and recommend Heather Blossom Pure Old Malt.

Our pamphlet, “=Whiskey Wisdom=,” contains “Facts about the Drink that Kills and the Drink that Cures.” which every man and woman ought to know. A copy free by mail to all who write for it.

If your dealer won’t supply you with =Heather Blossom Pure Old Malt=, let us know and well see that you get it.

B. H. R. DISTILLING CO., No. 451 South Main Street, Providence, R. I.

* * * * *

Cameras at Half Price

All new and in perfect condition. Send for Special Bargain Price Lists. The number is limited.

The Scovill & Adams Co., of N. Y. ...

60 & 62 East 11th Street, NEW YORK.

Send 35 cents for a copy of _The Photographic Times_, containing about 100 handsome illustrations.

* * * * *

IF YOU WANT THE BEST GARDEN

in your neighborhood this season

PLANT OUR FAMOUS

SEEDS AND PLANTS

all of which are described and illustrated in our beautiful and entirely =New Catalogue for 1896=. A new feature this season is the =Free= delivery of Seeds at Catalogue prices to any Post Office. This =“New Catalogue”= we will mail on receipt of a 2-cent stamp, or to those who will state where they saw this advertisement, the Catalogue will be mailed =Free=!

PETER HENDERSON & CO. 35 & 37 Cortlandt St., New York.

* * * * *

Every reader of “The Black Cat” should read the very remarkable Novel,

A SINGULAR LIFE,

the Last and the Greatest Story by ELIZABETH STUART PHELPS, author of “The Gates Ajar,” “Jack the Fisherman,” etc.

Miss Lilian Whiting says: “No American novel since ‘Uncle Tom’s Cabin’ has approached ‘A Singular Life.’”

Price, $1.25. Sold by all Booksellers. Sent, postpaid, by

HOUGHTON, MIFFLIN & CO., 4 Park St., Boston, Mass.

Send for a circular containing what the Press says about this wonderful story.

* * * * *

_A Thrilling Detective Story!_

=THE MARCHBURN MYSTERY.= By A. MAURICE LOW.

_A Startling Society Story!_

=ELEANOR STEVENS’ WILL.= By ISABEL SCOTT STONE.

_An Up-To-Date Ghost Story!_

=TO LET.= By ALICE TURNER CURTIS.

_A Love Story Without Diagrams!_

=OF COURSE—OF COURSE NOT.= By HARRY PECK.

The above stories and other stories that ARE stories,—all original, all complete, all fascinating, and all for five cents,—will appear in =_The Black Cat for March, 1896_=.

The Black Cat is sold by newsdealers everywhere at five cents a copy. If yours hasn’t it, and won’t get it for you, _get another newsdealer_. If you haven’t a dealer, send us five cents for specimen copy or fifty cents for a full year’s subscription.

The Shortstory Publishing Company, Boston, Mass.

* * * * *

40 VALUABLE BOOKS FREE!

Read this Gigantic Offer by an Old-Established and Reliable Publishing House!

=Two Dollars’ Worth of Splendid Books Absolutely Free to All!= During the next three months we are determined to double the circulation of our large and handsome illustrated literary and family paper, =Good Literature=, and to accomplish this object, regardless of expense, we now make to the reading public of America the most astounding offer ever made by any reliable publishing house in the world. =Good Literature= is one of the most charming family papers published. Each number consists of 16 large pages, 64 columns, of the most delightful reading matter and beautiful illustrations; it is filled with charming Serial and Short Stories, Sketches and Poems by the most popular authors. Useful Miscellany, Fancy Work, Household, Humorous and Juvenile Departments, etc., etc. Everybody is delighted with =Good Literature=, and those who are once subscribers are always subscribers, hence for the purpose of introducing this charming periodical into new homes we can afford to lose money upon each subscription at the outset. To secure, therefore, immediately, 200,000 new subscribers to =Good Literature=, we now make the following _special, limited and extraordinary offer: Upon receipt of only_ =Twenty-five Cents= _in postage stamps, silver or money order, we will send_ =Good Literature= _for_ =Six Months=, _and to every subscriber we will also send_, =Free= _and post-paid_, =Forty Valuable Books=, _as follows_:

_How to Make and Save Money on the Farm._ A valuable compilation of useful facts, hints and suggestions for farmers and gardeners. _Wonders of the Sea._ A description of the many wonderful and beautiful things found at the bottom of the ocean. _Illustrated._ _Manual of Etiquette_ for Ladies and Gentlemen. A guide to politeness, giving the rules of modern etiquette for all occasions. _Winter Evening Recreations_, a large collection of Acting Charades, Tableaux, Games, Puzzles, etc., for social gatherings and evenings at home. _Illustrated._ _The Road to Wealth._ A practical work, pointing out a way by which all may make money, easily, rapidly and honestly. _Famous Detective Stories._ A collection of thrilling narratives of Detective experience and adventures. _Humorous Sketches_, by Josiah Allen’s Wife. Comprises some of the most laughable sketches ever written by this popular author. _The Home Cook Book and Family Physician._ Containing hundreds of excellent cooking recipes and hints to housekeepers; also telling how to cure all common ailments. _Guide to Needle Work, Knitting and Crochet._ Containing designs for all kinds of Fancy Needle Work. _Illustrated._ _Dialogues, Recitations and Readings_, a large and choice collection for school exhibitions, public and private entertainments. _What Gold Cannot Buy._ A Novel. By Mrs. Alexander. _Missing—a Young Girl._ A Novel. By Florence Warden. _Maiwa’s Revenge._ A Novel. By H. Rider Haggard. _A Troublesome Girl._ A Novel. By “The Duchess.” _Moat Grange._ A Novel. By Mrs. Henry Wood. _The Story of a Wedding Ring._ A Novel. By Charlotte M. Braeme, author of “Dora Thorne.” _Her Manifest Destiny._ A Novel. By Amanda M. Douglas. _Clouds and Sunshine._ A Novel. By Charles Reade. _The Lawyer’s Secret._ A Novel. By Miss M. E. Braddon. _The Romantic Adventures of a Milkmaid._ A Novel. By Hardy. _Two Kisses._ A Novel. By Charlotte M. Braeme. _The Sorrow of a Secret._ A Novel. By Mary Cecil Hay. _Sir Noel’s Heir._ A Novel. By Mrs. May Agnes Fleming. _The Pearl of the Orient._ A Novel. By Sylvanus Cobb, Jr. _From the Earth to the Moon._ A Novel. By Jules Verne. _Mildred Trevanion._ A Novel. By “The Duchess.” _An Island Pearl._ A Novel. By B. L. Farjeon. _Wall Flowers._ A Novel. By Marion Harland. _The Last of the Ruthvens._ A Novel. By Miss Mulock. _The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde._ A Novel. By Robert Louis Stevenson. _Falsely Accused._ A Novel. By Mrs. Ann S. Stephens. _A False Scent._ A Novel. By Mrs. Alexander. _A Modern Cinderella._ A Novel. By Charlotte M. Braeme. _The Dream Woman._ A Novel. By Wilkie Collins. _Caramel Cottage._ A Novel. By Mrs. Henry Wood. _The Poison of Asps._ A Novel. By Florence Marryat. _The Little Old Man of the Batignolles._ A Novel. By Gaborian. _Under the Lilacs._ A Novel. By Charlotte M. Braeme. _Her Last Throw._ A Novel. By “The Duchess.” _Hollow Ash Hall._ A Novel. By Margaret Blount.

The above books are published in neat pamphlet form, many of them handsomely illustrated, and they are printed from clear, bold, readable type on good paper. Each book contains a complete, first-class novel or other work by a well-known and popular author, published in the handiest and most convenient form for reading and preservation. It is not a large number of novels or stories bound together in one book, but _forty separate and distinct books_. And we agree to send to you—not one, or five, or ten, but _the whole forty splendid books absolutely free_, by mail post-paid, if you send us twenty-five cents for a six months’ subscription to GOOD LITERATURE. Our regular price for these books is _five cents each_, or two dollars for the set of forty. In the catalogues of any of the popular “Libraries” or “Series” you will find the same books listed at 25 cents each. But taking them at our own low price we actually give you, _absolutely free, two dollars’ worth of splendid books_ to induce you to become a trial subscriber to GOOD LITERATURE. This is the most gigantic, the most startling offer ever made by any responsible and reliable publishing house in the world. We lose money on every subscription, but this we are willing to do, because we believe that those who take advantage of this offer will become permanent subscribers to GOOD LITERATURE, and our profit will come in the future. This offer comes to you from one of the leading publishing houses in the United States—a house that has been established over twenty years, and has a national reputation for honesty and reliability. It must not be compared with the fraudulent offers of irresponsible parties. We refer to the Mercantile Agencies and to all the leading newspapers as to our reliability. We guarantee perfect and entire satisfaction to every one who shall take advantage of this offer—more than that, we guarantee that _if you can conscientiously say that you are not perfectly and entirely satisfied, we will return your money and make you a present of both books and paper_. This is a _special limited offer, good only until May 1st, 1896_; take advantage of it before that date. For one dollar we will send five subscriptions, with the forty books free to each; therefore by getting four of your neighbors to subscribe you will get your own subscription and books free. Address: =F. M. LUPTON, Publisher, 106 and 108 Reade Street, New York=.