The Black Cat, Vol. I, No. 5, February 1896

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * *

The Terrific Struggle

to meet the requirements of modern civilization is attested by strikes, failures, robberies. To be honest, faithful, easy, successful, the nerves should be balanced to a hair. Brain steadiness, calm judgment equipoise, win the battle. In the midst of the contest gain strength by taking

Pabst Malt Extract The “Best” Tonic....

You will have mental acuteness, good memory, keen wit, power, will and ruddy health. At druggists.

MILWAUKEE BEER IS FAMOUS

PABST HAS MADE IT SO

GOLD MEDAL AND DIPLOMA, CONSTITUTING HIGHEST AWARD, MUNICH INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION, 1895. AN UNPARALLELED VICTORY IN THE VERY HOME OF BREWING.

THE ART OF BREWING WAS DEVELOPED BY THE GERMANS

SUPREME AWARD WORLD’S FAIR

* * * * *

Houghton, Mifflin & Co.’s HOLIDAY BOOKS.

=_Works of John Burroughs._=—A beautiful edition of Mr. Burroughs’ writings, in nine volumes. Printed on cream-tinted laid paper, and bound in a simple, elegant style. With several portraits of Mr. Burroughs, and engraved title-pages. Limited to 1000 sets. Price, $13.50 _net_ per set.

=_Standish of Standish._=—By JANE G. AUSTIN. With twenty exquisite full-page illustrations by F. T. MERRILL. Carefully printed and bound. Two volumes. 12mo, $5.00.

The most popular of Mrs. Austin’s historical novels of the Old Plymouth Colony, admirably illustrated.

=_Mrs. Jameson’s Works on Art._=—In five volumes, crown 8vo, finely printed from new plates. With nearly one hundred illustrations to each volume, and portrait of Mrs. Jameson, and biographical sketch by Miss ESTELLE M. HURLL, the editor. Price, $3.00 each; $15.00 the set.

=_A Victorian Anthology._=—Representative Poems by the authors discussed in “Victorian Poets.” Selected and edited by E. C. STEDMAN. With brief biographies of the authors, a fine portrait of Queen Victoria, and a vignette of the Poets’ Corner in Westminster Abbey. Large crown 8vo, $2.50; full gilt, $3.00; half calf, $4.50; full levant, $6.00.

=_Robert Browning’s Complete Poetic and Dramatic Works._=—=Cambridge Edition=, like the Cambridge Editions of Longfellow and Whittier. With biographical sketch and notes, a new portrait, and vignette of “Asolo.” A wonderful piece of book-making that compresses all of Browning into a single volume, printed from clear type, on firm, opaque paper, and bound strongly yet flexibly. Crown 8vo, $3.00; half calf, $5.00; tree calf, or full levant, $7.00.

=_Complete Poetical Works of Oliver Wendell Holmes._=—=Cambridge Edition=, Printed from large type, with a portrait and vignette of the “Gambrel-roofed House,” biographical sketch, and notes. Crown 8vo, $2.00.

=_The Last Poems of James Russell Lowell._=—An artistic volume, with new portrait, rubricated title and initials. Exquisitely bound in polished buckram. 12mo, $1.25.

=_Later Lyrics._=—Selected from the latest volumes of poetry by THOMAS BAILEY ALDRICH. A gem of a book, like Mr. Aldrich’s XXXVI. Lyrics and XII. Sonnets, and Friar Jerome’s Beautiful Book. 18mo, vellum or cloth, $1.00.

=_Mr. Rabbit at Home._=—A sequel to “Little Mr. Thimblefinger and His Queer Country.” By JOEL CHANDLER HARRIS, author of the “Uncle Remus” Books. With twenty-five illustrations by OLIVER HERFORD. Square 8vo, $2.00.

_Sold by Booksellers. Sent, postpaid, by_ HOUGHTON, MIFFLIN & CO., BOSTON.

* * * * *

_It cures from head to foot._

Puritana

Trade Mark Registered.

Nature’s Cure

For diseases of the

Stomach Liver Blood Kidneys

And for

Weak Lungs Starved Nerves Fagged Brain

It cures after everything else has failed. It cures cases that have been given up as hopeless. It cures pleasantly. It cures positively. It cures permanently.

_It cures from head to foot._

Puritana is the prize formula of Prof. Dixi Crosby, M.D., LL.D., for over 30 years at the head of Dartmouth Medical College.

If you are a sufferer, get of your druggist this great disease-conquering discovery (the price is $1 for the complete treatment, consisting of one bottle of Puritana Compound, one bottle of Puritana Pills, and one bottle of Puritana Tablets), or write to the undersigned, and you will bless the day when you heard of Puritana. The Puritana Compound Co. Concord, N. H.

The Story of Puritana.

Prof. Dixi Crosby, M. D., LL. D., who for thirty-two years was at the head of Dartmouth Medical College, belonged to the famous Crosby family of physicians, which for several generations has furnished more distinguished medical men than any other family in America. His father was Dr. Asa Crosby, of Dartmouth, who procured the charter of the State medical society, of which he was for thirty years a conspicuous member; one brother, Dr. Josiah Crosby, invented the invalid bed and the method of making extensions of fractured limbs by adhesive strips; another brother, Dr. Thos. R. Crosby, was chief surgeon in Columbian College Hospital during the war, and later professor of animal and vegetable physiology at Dartmouth College; while Dr. Dixi Crosby himself was the inventor and discoverer of various important improvements in medicine and surgery, including a new and unique mode of reducing metacarpophalangeal dislocation, opening of abscess at hip-joint, etc., etc.

At the early age of twenty-four his extraordinary skill and success in overcoming disease had already attracted the attention of medical men throughout the world, and won for him the highest honors. His greatest achievement was the discovery of an original method for perfecting and compounding in permanent form what has become known as his “prize formula,” and which, under the name of Puritana, is legally protected.

The foundation of this remarkable medical discovery consists of simple New England roots and herbs, and the original family recipe for it has descended to the long line of Crosby physicians from their Puritan ancestors. Its peculiar vegetable composition rendered it necessary to brew it whenever needed in the early days of its history, and after the scattering of the Puritan families to remote localities, where the necessary ingredients were not to be found, many attempts were made to put it up in permanent form, all of which failed until Dr. Dixi Crosby discovered means and methods, the result of which is: Nature’s Cure compounded in the laboratory of Common Sense.

* * * * *

USED EVERY WEEK DAY

SAPOLIO

BRINGS REST ON SUNDAY.

Armstrong & Co. Boston, Mass.

Share this Story