The Brothers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Save me some hot water," Jake rumbled. I looked and he was standing at the toilet taking a piss. I sighed and turned my face back up to the water. From my peripheral through the clear glass, I saw him go to the sink and get himself some pills, then stand there over the sink with his head down. "I feel like shit." he said grumpily.

"Tell me about it later, let me finish my shower."

He stood and left and I got out, wrapping in a towel before going out.

"You turn up the AC?" he asked.

"It's hot in here."

"I don't mind the heat, it's hot outside, I spend all day in it. I don't care though, put it where you want it. You want breakfast?"

"Ugh, no. I saved you hot water," I told him before shutting the door. I stood over the vent, trying to cool down, then got dressed and went back out front. He was in the shower so I threw myself onto the couch and waited for the pills to start working.

He came strolling out with nothing on, not even a towel and I groaned. "Dude! Really?"

"What? I gave you the AC, I have to change my whole routine too?"

"Just put clothes on."

"Turning you on too much?"

"Get over yourself! I'm just already nauseous, I don't want to vomit."

"Thanks turnip face."

"Anytime asshole."

"It's fucking 4 PM!" he said when he came back in, pulling a t-shirt on. "Shit! Pop is going to be pissed."

"Is he? Maybe not. He was on the porch when dad dropped me off, he probably thinks... whatever. He knows I am here anyway."

"Maybe. Probably why he didn't come in and haul me out of bed."

"I think I am going to go talk to my dad. Think you could drop me off?"

"You can stay and hang out? We can go into the burg tonight and hit the bars."

"Oh, I can't. I... have a date."

"A date? With the lawyer again?"

"Ummm, yeah. We actually had fun."

"Oh. Well, cool, I guess? I mean, he's really not your type. Like at all. He kind of looks like a douchebag. And how old is he? Like forty?"

"Forty? Stop exaggerating. He's like twenty six or something."

"No way, he is over thirty, I guarantee it."

"You are so full of shit."

"Ask him! I am willing to bet on it."

"Fine, what?"

"You ask him tonight and tell me the fucking truth! If he is under thirty, I give you that stupid ugly vase that I made in 10th grade that you have been begging me for. If he is over thirty, you kiss me."

I laughed. "Right. Are you still drunk?"

"So you admit he is over thirty?"

"He isn't!"

"So you lose nothing," he said with a shrug.

"Fuck. Whatever. He's not thirty."

"Ok, we'll see! Still, you can hang here if you want. Until you have to go."

"It's fine, she's at work now. It will just be dad and the boys there," I said, feeling very uncomfortable now. Why was my best friend being so freaking weird all the sudden? Was he messing with me? Getting me back for the pregnant prank? That's probably what it was, he was trying to freak me out as payback. I smiled. "You ready asshole?"

"Let me get my boots on. Wanna run into town and grab a BLT first?"

"No, no thanks. My stomach is not wanting food right now."

"Food will help, but whatever. Let's go."

He was awkward driving me home too, licking his lips and looking over at me constantly like he wanted to say something. He pulled up to my house.

"You could just ghost him, you know? Blow him off? It's not like you'll ever see him again. By the time you come back he'll have left. You know how transplants are, they never stay."

"It's fine, it's just a date. A night of fun. We are going to the drive in."

"To make out?"

"To watch a movie, asshole."

"No guy goes to the drive in to watch a movie! He is taking you to round the bases."

"Then he'll strike out. Unless I don't want him to. Maybe I want to make out with him? He is super hot."

"Ugh. Ally! Don't fall for some jackoff like him? I could stand it if it was a guy like Drew or Zane, but not some city asshole lawyer. He's not you. He's not your people! I'm your people."

"I'm not falling for anyone, jeez. I am talking about a little fun, not a freaking ring. Enough of the joking around, Jake. I get it. Real funny, you almost got me. I will talk to you tomorrow, ok?"

He deflated and sat back in his seat, slamming his palm into his steering wheel and looking out the other window.

He was pissed?

I didn't want to figure this out right now, I got out and shut the door, going into the house.

Jake left, peeling out and rapping out his engine down the road. Dad looked up from his laptop, concerned. "Hey Ally Cat, everything ok? Was that Jake? Did you two fight?"

"Hey daddy. He's just messing around I think. You ok?"

"Fine."

"Where are the boys?"

"Her sisters. They are all at her sisters. I... I told her I wanted a divorce."

"You did what? Daddy, you don't have to do that! What about the boys?"

"Ally Cat, it has needed to happen for a while. I thought I was fine with it until you spoke up, but you are right. I think all the trouble at school... Eli is learning to be a bully from what he sees at home. I let her run me over and do what she wants, even if I don't like it. I say no and she bulls right over me. She tried to make me go to the lawyer this morning and I told her I'd only see a lawyer to file for divorce. She went anyway and when she got home I told her we were done. I called Abel and he is drawing up the papers. Said she had been in trying to get him to forge papers on the house. Said she had lived here, made improvements, you abandoned it, she made all kinds of excuses, but he sent her away with nothing."

"I don't understand it daddy, why did she stay with you after she found out you didn't have money?"

"If she divorced me without due cause, I would be entitled to half of everything she had taken from her first husband," he said with a laugh. "I didn't know that until Abel told me when we were on the phone. I didn't even think about it, and I always wondered myself. My income was nothing more than disability. All I had was this house and disability and the little bit I can make doing odd jobs while sitting. I thought it was because maybe she really loved me in her own way, or the boys. You were right though. She only cared about herself and what she wanted. I am going to fight for the boys, but I doubt I will win."

"I hate to say this out loud... but tell her if she lets you have primary custody, you won't go after half of anything. I bet she won't have much of an issue with it. The boys are... boys. She wanted a little girl. She has no idea how to manage them and she knows it. She can't control them. She won't take issue with only seeing them every other weekend, it will make her life easier. Make it easier for her to trap a new husband."

"That... I think I will do that."

"I have a date, daddy, but if you want me to cancel and stay here with you, I will."

"No, Ally Cat. Joel is coming by and we are going down to Janie's Place, have a few beers and listen to the idiots sing karaoke. You go on your date. The same lawyer fella?"

"Yeah."

"Keep hoping one of these days you are going to announce that you and Jake decided to give it a go."

"What is the deal? Seriously. Why is everyone team Jake all the sudden? This isn't cool! How would you like it if I said you should date Joel now?"

He chuckled. "Ok, point taken. I think you'd regret it if you didn't give it a shot though. Before you take off across the states."

I sighed. "I am not listening anymore! LALALALA! I am getting ready for my date!!" I yelled, going down the hall.

I didn't have much by way of dress clothes, just my mom's old dresses in the closet. I looked at them, then looked at them again, but none of them seemed right. I finally settled for another sundress, a brown one with cream colored flowers. Instead of sandals, I wore my boots and braided my thick hair down around my shoulder, letting the tail nestle in my cleavage.

I went back out and dad lifted his eyebrows. "Haven't seen you in that in a few years. Looks... maybe a little small on you now?"

"You think?" I asked, tugging at the tight chest and looking down. It came down almost to mid thigh. "It's long enough?"

"It's a little tight up top?"

"Oh. It's fine, it covers everything."

"If you are comfortable, that's all that matters. So this boy, he's the one replacing Abel when he retires?"

"I guess. We didn't really talk about his work. That's him daddy. Be safe tonight, ok? Call if you need a ride?"

"Of course Ally Cat, you have fun and be safe too."

I went out and Jason was almost at the door. He grinned at me as he looked me over and opened my door for me. "You look lovely," he said as he got in.

"Thanks," I said shyly, looking out my window.

"So, what were you thinking on dinner? The italian place?"

"Sounds great."

"How well do you know them? Should I expect to meet family or something?"

"Oh, you are hilarious. I have only been there a few times. Did you look up the movies?"

"I did. Two choices, animation or super hero."

"Oh. Ummm, super hero I guess?"

"I was hoping you would say that, not sure I could sit through a singing princess."

I laughed, starting to feel more at ease again. "Hey, I have an odd question. How old are you?"

He laughed and looked at me. "Worried about the age gap?"

"Something like that?"

"I'm thirty four."

I groaned. How had I been so far off?!?

"I guess that's a bad thing?" he asked questioningly.

"No, it's fine, I don't care. I just... thought you were younger."

"I hear that a lot. Baby face I guess. You sure you're good? You look kind of sick."

"Yeah. Actually, I lost a bet."

"Hah, sorry. So. I kind of half thought you might cancel tonight."

"You did? Why?"

"I was at work when your step mom came in. When your dad called. It was all pretty heated. I saw a few things in your file."

"Umm. Yeah, no one in town really knows any of that but Abel. I know you are taking over for him so it's not a big deal, but could you not say anything?"

"Even if I could, I wouldn't. Your secret is safe with me."

"Thanks."

"So, you ok otherwise?"

"Yeah. It's good actually. I think it's a good thing and I think my dad thinks so too. He is going out with a friend tonight and having some drinks."

"Good for him. Celebrating impending freedom?"

"Something like that," I laughed.

We chatted about lighter things the rest of the way and through dinner as well. He pulled in at the drive in and went and got us snacks. As he was returning, a truck pulled in next to us and I looked over at Jake. He lifted two parted fingers and wiggled his tongue at me through them and I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"Friend?" Jason asked.

"Best friend since we were babies."

"He followed you here?"

"I... no, I guess he didn't. He did tell me the other day he was bringing a girl here tonight."

"Ahh. So like a super awkward double date with your sort of brother watching every move I make? I guess that means no heavy petting and making out?" he teased.

"He'll never notice, he's got a girl with him. Once the movie starts we won't see their heads again."

"Ahh. So he is that kind of guy?"

"He is."

"So, like, you two are friends with benefits?"

"What? No! Ewe! No. We were never like that."

"So he isn't going to be weird about this?"

"Why would he be? He just parked there to mess with me. If you feel uncomfortable we can move. Or I will tell him to."

"It's fine. I was just trying to feel out the situation. So... is this cool?" he asked, taking hold of my hand and lacing his fingers through mine.

I blushed and smiled. "Sure."

I went quiet and shy after that, feeling awkward as he watched me, smiling in amusement. The trailers started and he turned on the radio so we could hear, squeezing my hand more tightly as he leaned on the center console to see. He smelled pretty amazing.

I found myself glancing at him out of the corner of my eye and he smiled like he knew. "You don't seem super interested in the movie." he finally said, looking over at me.

"Oh. I am. They are just a little predictable. I already know who wins."

"I guess you do, but you know, maybe not? Maybe there is a cliffhanger and someone important dies?"

"Maybe. Or probably he saves the day after thinking he is defeated, but something happens that gives him that last burst of love or anger to inspire him to rise up."

"You have this all pegged I guess?" he asked and I looked up at him.

His face was an inch from mine and he smirked down at me. I stared into his eyes, feeling a little off. This was the part where he kissed me, but I felt alarm bells going off as he looked down at me.

I eased back slightly and turned to watch the movie.

"We can head out if you want. Take a drive."

"You don't want to finish the movie?"

"Neither of us are watching it anyway. Also, you were wrong about your friend. He has been looking over here more than he has been watching the movie or his date."

I looked over and Jake turned away quickly. Ugh.

"Yeah, we can go," I said, turning and leaning in closer to Jason.

He smiled and put an arm around me, pulling me close and leaning in, putting his cheek to mine. "We could stay a moment or two?" he whispered. "If you are trying to make the boy jealous?"

"I'm not! It's not that, not at all. Actually, I have no idea what his deal is. He may be paying me back for a prank."

Jason pulled back, stroking my cheek like we had just kissed. He moved back to his seat and started the car, pulling away. I refused to look and see if Jake was watching. Why did he have to show up and ruin a good evening?

Jason drove us in the direction of home, but he looked preoccupied. "So, you two never dated or fooled around?" he asked finally.

"No. Can we talk about something else?"

"Sorry. I'm going to take you home, Ally, but may I see you again? Soon?"

"Ok. Here, give me your phone. This is my number. Just let me know when. You seem upset. Did it bother you that he showed up?"

"It's fine. You say you weren't using me to make him jealous and I believe you. He does like you though, anyone can see that."

I looked down at my hands. "I've been gone for a while, maybe he just doesn't want to lose his best friend again. I don't know, but he hasn't been himself since I got back. I mean, not that it really matters. It's not like I need to explain to you if I am dating anyone or kissing anyone or sharing benefits with anyone," I said a little irritably.

"Easy now. I wasn't trying to get your back up. It's all good, ok?"

"Sure," I answered, turning to look out the window, my arms crossed.

"I'm not dating anyone, just so you know. I haven't since I got here. I've been asked a few times, but I wasn't interested. Not until I laid eyes on you. And so you know, when we go on our third date, I will probably ask you to only date me..."

"You know I am leaving soon though, right? I mean, this is all just a little fun before I leave. It can never be serious."

"What if I want to try and convince you to stay?" he asked teasingly.

"Look, Jason, you seem real nice, but really, I am not looking for more than some good company and maybe a kiss or two. Jake is already being weird, I don't need more demands piling on top of it, ok? Maybe we should just call tonight it."

"Is that really what you want? I'd like to see you at least one more time? No pressure, no strings. Just hang out and talk? Laugh some more."

"Maybe," I said softly as he pulled into my drive.

"I have your number. Can I text you?"

"Sure."

"Can I kiss you goodnight?"

"Sorry... not tonight. I just feel... a little agitated right now. Not you necessarily, just everything all sort of piling up. Thanks for dinner."

I got out and hurried inside, but it was dark and empty. Dad was still out drinking. I went down the hall and kicked off my boots in my room, then fell into my bed and stared at the ceiling. Jake. What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you trying to ruin everything?!? Asshole.

I jerked awake when dad came home and shook me. My legs were still hanging over the edge and I was still dressed, I had fallen asleep as I was.

"Hey Ally Cat, you ok?"

"Yeah Daddy. Have fun?"

"Talked a lot of it out with Joel. Got things worked out right in my head I think. It was a good night. Have fun on your date?"

"Not really, but I don't want to talk about it. Goodnight daddy."

"Night Ally Cat," he said, turning off my light.

I curled up and fell asleep, hugging my pillow tightly. I had horrible dreams that left me tense and exhausted when Jake woke me in the morning.

"Wake up Turnip face! You owe me! Pay up!"

"What? Dude, you asshole! What the hell was with showing up last night and acting all stalker?"

"What do you mean? I told you I was going to the drive in!"

"But you didn't have to park next to us and you didn't wave to watch me all night. You made him really uncomfortable and he asked all kinds of questions and said all kinds of things. You ruined my date completely!"

"I was just messing with you, it's what we do. Come on Ally, you know I wasn't serious. Come on. Get dressed and let's go get lunch."

"No," I said petulantly. "I don't think we should be hanging out much. You are acting weird and trying to fuck things up."

"Is this because I won the bet and you don't want to pay up?"

"First off, you already knew, obviously. Second off, no. It's because you are being weird. Go away."

"No! Time is ticking away! You have two short weeks here, you are not spending them all sleeping! Get up, let's go! I need chili cheese tots! Come on!" he persisted, bouncing on my bed.

"Stop!" I yelled, laughing. "Fine, fucker. Get out so I can get dressed."

He was in entirely too good of a mood as he drove us into town, talking a million miles a minute and smiling.

"Ugh, shut up!" I begged when he pulled into a stall at Sonic. "Did you get laid last night or something?"

"She sucked my cock, but she was pretty awful at it. I mostly had to jerk off while she licked the tip."

"TMI!"

"What? Whatever. That's not why I'm in a good mood."

"Why then?"

He grinned at me. "My best friend is home and I get to spend the day with her!"

"Groan! Who are you and what have you done with my favorite asshole?"

"Shut it you. What do you want? My treat. Footlong chili cheese coney?"

"Fiiiine... and a cherry limeade."

"No rind?"

"Yup."

I leaned back, smiling and feeling a little happy as he ordered. Especially when he ordered the extra large tater tots. I knew what that meant. As soon as our order arrived, I turned in my seat, grinning. He immediately grabbed one out of the bag and tossed it at my mouth and I caught it with ease after years of practice. I immediately let it fall out of my mouth.

"Holy shit that's hot!"

He laughed and set them aside to cool then handed me my coney. We joked and laughed the whole time we sat there and I felt better than I had since I had come home.

"Shut it you man whore!" I replied to one of his jokes about my bed head.

"Jealous?" he asked, tossing a tot at me.

I caught it and grabbed one to toss back. The game was to keep going until one of us lost. I tossed it, then kicked at him and he caught the tot and my foot, yanking me across the seat and lifting my foot to put me on my back.

I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes as I scrambled back up. I turned in my seat, wiping my eyes and my eyes locked with Jasons sitting across from us on the other side. He looked down quickly, then turned his car on and backed out without looking up.

I felt...odd. Were his feelings hurt? I had told him Jake was my best friend? Why had he looked so sad?

"Wasn't that...?"

"Yeah," I said quickly.

"Did he follow you here?"

"It's the only fast food place in town and it's lunch time."