All Comments on 'The Businessman Ch. 01'

by b2312

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
tip

only left 22 on a 178 bill-pitiful

b2312b2312about 10 years agoAuthor
RE: tip

I welcome your comment, Anonymous, however it is standard to tip 10% where I am from. A tip is not a salary and it was not my intention in the story to provide a tip so exaggerated it is not believable. Thank you for reading! :) B

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Wow

B2312:

After my daughter worked as a server in a restaurant she pointed out to me what is an extra dollar or three to the diner, but it is something more significant to a server who is making less than minimum wage because the tips are part of the earnings We always tip 20% after our daughter's explanation unless the server is worth less or more.

b2312b2312about 10 years agoAuthor
RE: Wow

I am British and here waitresses and waiters cannot be paid less than the minimum wage due to tips - they get paid their wage and their tips are surplus. I understand the point you're making, this is a minor part of the story... Though perhaps I could use your opinion to develop the character of Ryan in later episodes.

I hope you don't think I'm being stubborn, I really do appreciate your feedback and feel I could use it to take Ryan in another direction to which I had previously intended.

B

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
12%?!

I'm a server (in America), and the idea of spending a great deal of my attention on a party that leaves me a measly 12% tip is not merely an outrage, but actively leaves me broke.

In the US, employers are only required to pay $2.13 an hour- with the rest of the Federal minimum wage supposed to be "made up" by tips. But that's not even the worst part- I'm also expected to give money over to some of my coworkers.

In the story above, the $22 left by the party is _immediately_ reduced to $13. If the party was there for a mere 2hrs, that would translate to $6.5/hr- or, roughly, just enough to make it up to an $8/hr wage including Federal minimum.

Trust me: Cara is not going to be calling Ryan. Instead, she's going to head back over to her friends and complain about what a shitty fucking time she just had with the table- the bad tip will just be one more insult added on top of the groping and verbal abuse. Then she'll head back into her section, put on her biggest smile, and try to make rent. That's the exact behavior I see daily from the people I work with.

For anyone confused about how to tip: take the bill ($178), divide by 10 ($17.8) , multiply that number by 2 ($35.6), and add $5-10 per hour your party sat.

If you don't want to feel compelled to tip, don't go to a restaurant. It's that simple.

b2312b2312about 10 years agoAuthor
RE: 12%?!

That's really quite different to the UK and it's a shame. Here, obviously I have said, they must be paid a base wage of minimum wage at the very least - an hourly rate. Some restaurants do practice tip sharing, however a great deal don't and therefore the tips you receive are yours and yours alone. A friend of mine works in a restaurant and all of their tips are pooled and they receive an equal share each week.

I think it's unfair that the minimum wage for waiting staff is much lower purely because of tips because you cannot rely on people tipping, especially this day and age. I suppose some days the tips are excellent and others atrocious; it's the game and the wage should reflect the uncertainty with tips.

B :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Are you fucking kidding me?

Forget the lousy tip question... Which BTW was not even 7%... Does no one else see the problem with this story? Alice practically raped Cara! It was not a sexy scene, at all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
@Anonymous I thought the same thing about the tip

First thought after reading the story, the tip wasn't that great :)

b2312b2312about 10 years agoAuthor
Tip

$22 on $178...

(22/178)x100 = 12.36%

Arago007Arago007about 10 years ago
LOL... Seriously

I had to read the story based on the hilarious tip debate. After reading I am going with the anonymous that pointed to the story. After being practically raped by Alice, Cara determines she is not into girls at all. What about that makes a good L/S story? Two girls together should always be a turn on, right? I assume this is a first chapter and it's the authors intention to go in another direction for future chapters, if so I would think non-consent might be a better category fit.

Good job in generating interest :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous