The Cabin on The Blue Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lenore took a sip of milk from her cup before screwing the top back on. "John," she said, her tone thoughtful, "the sheep you mentioned, how much do you know about them?"

"Like the breed?" She nodded at him, and John's eyes narrowed in thought. "I'm not exactly sure." he replied.

"What are you thinking?" Rachel asked, looking at the older woman.

"I'm thinking about wool!" Lenore leaned forward, her eyes bright with excitement. "All of the clothes and blankets we can make!"

Verre turned. "Do you know how to turn wool into yarn or clothes?"

"In theory. I know the basics, at least, but it'll probably take me a bit to remember everything," Lenore admitted. "I used to do a project with my classes every year. I had a few friends from my knitting club that

spun their own yarn, and they'd bring in their spinning wheels and drop spindles. I got to be decent with the spindle, and they're relatively simple to make. But I'm not sure how to make knitting needles or crochet hooks." She ran a hand through her hair and shrugged. "Most of the fabric has survived over the years, but there's been lots of wear and tear." Rachel nodded. It was a rare item of clothing that hadn't been mended, and most shirts were either missing buttons or had mismatched ones. "But we need to start practicing and learning this stuff. "

"I don't know anything about making yarn or knitting," John responded, "but I know how to shear sheep. Used to help out for extra money every spring and summer. We can probably find tools around for combing and carding, all that. And if we decide to get serious about it, we'll need to expand the flock considerably."

"Do you mean - trade?" Rachel's eyebrows shot up in surprise when he nodded.

"Sheep are an excellent resource either way, provided you have the space to care for them. Milk, of course, and meat and wool if you're inclined. Their manure is excellent for compost, also."

"If we made enough to have surplus, there are trading centers, open markets," Lenore said thoughtfully. "Though, I'd really like to avoid those kinds of places if possible. Crowds make me nervous, nowadays. Some of the outposts used to be alright - but it's been years since I've been to one."

"Agreed," John replied. "But if we needed something, it's good to have options." He gestured for Rachel to join him in the driver's seat, holding out a hand as an assist.

"I've been thinking about lunch," Rachel announced as she turned in the seat, twisting towards the other in the wagon. Gabriel rubbed his hands together, his eyes wide with excitement. "Carrots, beets, biscuits...and pasta, I think-"

"-I've really missed carb loading," Verre murmured in a dreamy voice, and Lenore chuckled.

"-and venison cutlets as the main dish." The others oohed and aahed. "I have an idea for a rub. It involves roasted garlic," Rachel concluded with a huge grin. John smiled into his collar, admiring the way she glowed. "And maybe pork chops for dinner? I could do breakfast burritos in the morning..."

"Alright," John said, nodding at the others. "Let's go home."