All Comments on 'The Captive'

by footstep

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

Super hot - love the visuals at the start 😍

Submisky35Submisky3527 days ago

I loved the story...well-told and interesting. BUT, I can't understand why the use of plural adjectives and pronouns when referring to singular nouns! It was done so consistently throughout that it seemed that it must have been intentionally done rather than because of the author's poor grammar skills. Anyway, it distracted from my enjoyment of the otherwise good story (and took away one star from my vote.)

footstepfootstep26 days agoAuthor

Thanks for your comment - this is my first story on Lit, so it's exciting to get feedback!

I wrote this story with the intention that the reader should be able to imagine anyone as the captive (and indeed the captor and audience). I tried to achieve this with a guided visualisation for the reader to build a mental image of their desired captive, followed by a self-imposed rule that I would never use pronouns or anatomical descriptions that specified gender, in the hope that this story could be enjoyed equally by a woman, man, straight, gay, cis or trans person. Maybe this was too grand an ambition, but it was a fun experiment to write like this!

You may feel that sometimes the descriptions lean towards one gender or another.... but maybe that's because the guided visualisation is so effective that you can no longer see the captive as anyone except 'your' person?!

All constructive criticism is fair and gratefully received, I really enjoyed writing this as a diversion from a much longer story I am working on (where I am using he/she pronouns!).

(I have also submitted a correction for some annoying typos which slipped through the net despite checking it, like, a thousand times).

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous