The Chosen One Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
boneams
boneams
739 Followers

"Not as a whole, just outdated ones. Did you feel that coming across in the book...?"

"Brian," he supplied, giving her a polite smile as she scribbled a dedication in his book. "At times I did feel that you harbored antipathy towards the more traditional elements of the vampire council."

Jaz fixed her smile on her face and handed him back the book. "Tradition for tradition's sake can be outmoded. If it accomplishes something productive I have no issue with it, however if it is detrimental to those that must follow the tradition then I'm a firm believer that it should be examined and if found wanting, updated to serve the greater good."

The look he gave her was thoughtful before he nodded and smile. "An interesting point of view. One I will think on long and hard. My thanks for your time, Ms. Cullen, and my best wishes for your future endeavors."

As he turned to leave, the clock hand finally ticked over to the hour of her release...and Misty stepped forward and smiled apologetically to the people in line. "I'm sorry, but Ms. Cullen needs to take a short break for half an hour. However, she will be back to sign more copies of her novel so please do come back at 6:30." There were a few muttered groans and exclamations but for the most part the crowd took the news reasonably well.

Jaz stood up gratefully, smiling more genuinely at the mainly female customers still waiting for their copy of The Council to be autographed. "I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to buy and read my books. I promise, I will sign every copy after this short coffee break. Please do return."

Laura leaned out from the crowd, her face twisting into a displeasured look. Her feelings of disappointment turned quickly to anger as she glared at the mature woman leading the author away. She turned towards Kevin as she felt his hand pulling on her arm; trying to lead her back out into the mall.

She pulled her arm back roughly. "No! I'm staying!

"Honey, we can't wait in line for the next hour. Now let's finish our shopping and get back to the safety of the house," Kevin replied as he returned the hard stare.

Adam felt uneasy as he listened to her raised voice. "Laura, keep your voice down. The last thing we need is unwanted attention, and you know Kevin's right. It's not safe to stay in one place too long."

"I said I'm staying," Laura shot back as she returned to her spot in line.

Smoothing down her deep purple sweater, she brushed a hand through her dark hair, and prepared to head into the back of the shop for her welcomed respite. The sound of raised voices closer to the door distracted her though and she glanced back at the group of men and women who had just made it into the actual shop before Misty called a halt to the proceedings.

Jaz stared at the group, a feeling of déjà vu overcoming her as she blinked in surprise. No! Really? It couldn't be...could it? Six foot of powerful male, sandy brown hair glistening under the direct light from overhead, stood arguing with a petite woman with short black hair. Surrounding them were other couples, some she recognized despite their lack of Halloween costumes and others she'd never seen before.

There was no mistaking Kevin Dvorska though, and there was no stopping her feet from starting off in the direction of the commotion.

"Jaz..." Misty called, but she was already sailing past the waiting line, almost running towards the Navy Seal.

"Kevin!"

His head whipped up and around, brown eyes widening in surprise for a moment, before a huge grin split his handsome face. "Hey, Jaz. I wasn't sure you'd remember me." His glance dropped back to the dark-haired woman at his side and he gave a sheepish smile to both of them. "Sorry for the uproar, Laura really wanted to get your autograph but we don't have time to wait or come back."

Jaz blinked again in surprise, staring from the other woman to the tall male, before her lips curved in a gentle smile. Kevin had found himself a soul mate! For some strange reason that made her day feel so much better. Given the genre she wrote it, there was something fitting in discovering her heaven-sent stranger had found where his heart belonged, as she had found the same with her writing.

"Friends never have to wait, Kevin, especially not you," she smiled. "I owe you so much, it's the least I can do to sign a book for your lovely lady." Turning her warm smile to Laura, she held out her hand. "Hi, I'm Jaz."

The young woman appeared startled at being addressed directly and appeared to shrink into herself though she did offer a tentative smile. "I'm so sorry about the commotion I made, I couldn't help myself. I couldn't believe it when Kevin told me he knew you."

Jaz waved a hand in dismissal, smiling widely at Adam and Kristine whom she remembered from the Halloween party. "Nice to see you two again."

They greeted her warmly, letting Kevin play the main host of the group as he knew the author best.

"Jaz, this is Candrea and Atsuko, two friends of ours."

She turned her gaze to the other two women, a slight frown creasing her brow as she locked eyes with the taller, blonde woman. There was something vaguely familiar about Candrea, though she couldn't quite put her finger on what it was. "Have we met, Candrea?"

The blonde shook her head in the negative, though her smile was quizzical. "I don't believe so, but I must admit for a moment there I thought possibly we had. But I never forget a face and I'm sure I would recall exactly where and when we'd met if we had."

The familiar feeling faded as the other woman spoke, her soft Australian accent sounding smooth and melodious. Jaz didn't recognize her voice so she figured she must have been imagining things and turned to greet the oriental woman who gave her a courteous bow.

Misty arrived at her side before she could say anything else, her publisher's eyes going round with surprise as she recognized, Kevin, Adam and Kristine. "Halloween a few years ago," she grinned, before shooting a reproving glance at her wayward author. "You need to be taking that break before you dive back into things."

"In a moment, Misty, please. I need to sign Laura's book for her. They need to go." Jaz held out her hand for the book, not surprised to find she still had her pen in her hand. It had felt as if it was permanently attached to her for the last two hours. "Any dedication?"

"Just 'to Laura' would be great thanks. I must admit I'm just reading Fighting the Inevitable at the moment. From the list inside, I have another two books to read before I start The Council."

"Misty, grab Kevin's contact information please. I'll autograph copies of all the others and have them sent to you." Jaz found herself liking the petite dark-haired woman, and she could see how much Laura meant to Kevin. Her shy smile and sparkling eyes was the least Jaz could do for Kevin's unknowing help in her career.

Signing the book, Jaz smiled back at Kevin, giving him a saucy wink. "She's a definite keeper."

The adoration shining from his eyes as he looked at Laura was beautiful to see. "Oh, I'm well aware of that, Jaz." He looked back at her, gratitude in his gaze. "Thank you so much for doing this. It means a lot."

"No, thank you, Kevin...for everything." His puzzled glance brought another wide smile to Jaz's face and she stood on tiptoes to give him a peck on the cheek. "You have no idea how much you changed my life, Kevin Dvorska. You are a good man and deserve only the best in life."

Jaz allowed Misty to shepherd her away, turning one last time to wave at the group as she did. She had no idea if she would ever see them again but she was happy to have had the opportunity to see Kevin one more time. He appeared to pop into her life at pivotal moments. Who knew when he might turn up again? Smiling, Jaz knew she had her second wind, and would be able to get through the next two hours of signings with a fresh vigor. Seeing Kevin had reminded her of just how fortunate she was and she knew she would never again view being in the spotlight as a chore.

**********

Standing next to a kiosk displaying various pieces of artwork, a shapely red haired female looked over the items on the counter. After putting one of the pictures down, she peered along the corridor as a small group of people exited the bookstore at the end of the busy hallway.

She looked back towards the attendant and smiled. "They're lovely, but a bit pricy for me," she told the more mature woman. She turned and walked back to the main common area of the mall. There was a small food court there and she approached a group of teenage boys who were occupied with girl watching.

At just over five feet tall, she was almost as tall as they were. She gave one of the young men a saucy smile as she stepped in front of him. The teenager smiled back and puffed his immature chest out, trying to make himself look bigger than he actually was.

Her deep green eyes ran down his form and she tried not to laugh at him. "You look like you could do a favor for me. How'd you like to make a quick twenty bucks?"

"I got my Dad's car just outside. What say you and I head out there and strike a deal?" As he smiled, his dimpled checks made his acne more apparent.

"Not exactly what I was looking for. I have something a little more fun in mind."

**********

Laura placed her signed copy of The Council in her bag as she allowed Kristine to guide her down the corridor. As the two of them chatted, Candrea and Atsuko stayed close behind and watched the patrons who passed them or strolled along nearby.

Adam and Kevin trailed along behind the four women as they continued deeper into the mall. Adam cocked his head toward Kevin as he checked the others around him. "That was pretty nice of her. I would have put money on it that she wouldn't remember us."

"Oh yeah, just great. We go on a honeymoon and she brings her Jaz Cullen collection with her. I think I may have to pack for her just so I know I'll have her full attention."

Something caught Kevin's attention out of the corner of his eye as a young teen walked up and pushed his shoulder. When the SEAL turned his head fully to look at the foolish young boy, he wondered if he was truly trying to pick a fight or just plain stupid.

Given the age difference, he knew he couldn't fight this teenager unless it was absolutely necessary. He looked over the boy's shoulder and saw what appeared to be his friends as they stood behind him. "Can I help you, kid?"

The two female werewolves heard the Chosen One's voice and turned around to see a group of boys addressing him. Candrea reached out and touched Kristine's shoulder to get her attention. When she turned, she saw her husband and Kevin addressing a group of teens just in front of them.

"I take it you're Kevin Dvorska," the boy said as he puffed his chest out for the second time while in the mall.

Kevin didn't know how this teen knew his name, but his defensive senses kicked in and he searched the area behind the boys looking for any danger. He looked back down at the boy and narrowed his eyes in growing anger. "Actually kid, I'm the tooth fairy, and I'm about to make you rich. What do you want?"

"Yeah, she said you'd be a smartass. This is for you," he replied as he held out a piece of paper. Kevin grabbed the paper as the rest of his group gathered around him.

When Kristine and Laura heard that some woman had put them up to this, they moved closer to Candrea and Atsuko. As Laura got next to Atsuko, she put her arm around her as if holding onto the Asian werewolf would make her less of a target.

Kevin looked at the note and then handed it to Adam to read as he searched the area, looking for an old woman with a cane. "The lady who gave you this, what did she look like?"

"Some hot looking red head," he replied as he spun around to point at her. "She's over there by the..." The teen stepped to the side as he searched the area in the food court.

"Don't worry, kid, she's not there anymore. Why don't you run along home before your mom and dad get worried," Kevin told him as he moved toward his lover.

The look of fear told him all he needed to know on how she was doing. Reaching up, he caressed her soft face as he smiled lovingly at her. "Don't get all worked up, sweetie. I know it's hard to do, but even she's not dumb enough to start something here with our extra protection."

A small tear rolled down her face as she looked back at Kevin. "I need to find a bathroom. I think I'm going to be sick."

Adam looked at the note once more as his anger began to increase. "Put your affairs in order the time is near." He folded it and shoved it in his pocket as he looked around at the patrons walking idly around. There was no sign of immediate danger, but the image of three grown werewolves fighting off a monster still filled his mind.

Adam moved near his wife as he looked into her eyes. He could tell she was reliving the previous encounter in her mind. "Don't get all worked up, the bitch is just trying to make us blink. She won't try anything out in the open like this; not when she's outnumbered four to one."

"What did the note say?" Kristine asked, trying to keep her voice calm.

"It said you're a hot looking lady, and she's nervous about having to fight you," Adam joked as he took his wife's hand. "Come on, let's get Laura to the restroom and then we'll head for home."

The group walked along the corridor towards the food court. When they reached that crowded area, everyone began searching the crowd for a red haired beauty. Given the fact that they were in Virginia Beach, a redhead would definitely stand out in the crowd.

With no danger in sight, the four women headed for the women's restroom that was at the end of a small hallway. Candrea led the way but as she neared the door, a large black woman exited, smoothing down her long skirt as she stepped out of the way. The hallway was narrow so the four women moved aside and allowed the much larger woman to pass.

Adam and Kevin remained just outside the hallway and kept their attention trained on the others in the food court. Kevin felt someone brush by him and he turned quickly to face a large woman running her eyes up and down his obviously chiseled body. It took the SEAL mere seconds to assess her as harmless.

After looking Kevin over, she turned to Adam and repeated the process. She licked her lips wantonly as she stared at the two SEALs. "If you two sugar pies want some real lovin', you just follow ole momma home," she said. Her southern drawl making a singsong type of sound.

Kevin wanted to laugh in her face but his military training forced him to be polite to the annoying woman. "That's an interesting offer, Ma'am, but I think we'll just wait on our wives to come out of the restroom."

The mature black woman ran her eyes up and down his body one last time. She turned and walked out of the food court. The two men monitored her as she headed toward the bookstore where Jaz was having her book signing. Kevin couldn't help but wonder if she was going to pick up Jaz's book, or one on how to cook food faster.

The large woman swayed her hips as she walked down the corridor and secretly hoped the two beefy men were staring at her as she walked away; it would be only fitting if they were. "Even with the Lycanthrope Medallion, the Chosen One doesn't have much of a heightened sense of awareness," she mumbled as she continued on her way.

Dawson's residence, Virginia Beach, Virginia.

The half sphere portable fire pit was at the edge of the wooden deck. With daylight quickly fading, it produced a warm glow around the area as the flames danced lazily in the cool air. The soft chirps of the crickets that roamed around in the yard were joined by the sound of crackling wood.

Adam reclined in the wooden deck chair as he sipped his cold beer and stared into the flames. He seemed like any other homeowner in the area; a cold drink, a small fire to chase the chill away. What made his appearance anything but normal, was the .50 caliber Desert Eagle that he now had strapped to his thigh. He didn't turn around as he heard the glass door slide open; instead he continued to stare at the fire as the stars above him began to shine brighter.

Kevin moved to the other side, dragged one of the other chairs over, and sat next to his team leader. He remained quiet as he, too, stared into the hypnotizing flames, his beer resting on the wide armrest.

Adam glanced over and noticed that Kevin didn't have on the thigh holster he had given him earlier. He took a small drink and returned his gaze to the fire. "You don't feel like having the Eagle within quick reach?"

"I won't need it. If she shows up, I'll have to change to kill her. Not much use the Eagle will do me then," he replied in a quiet voice. His face showed a small hint of sorrow as he looked at the flames. "Adam, I'd like to apologize for the mess it seems I've brought with me. You know I would never wish anything to happen to you or Kristine. I'd give my life to protect you two."

Adam shifted in his seat, but he didn't look at his close friend and team mate. "I know, Kev, and I don't hold you accountable for what's going on." Adam chuckled as he remembered the Predjama mission. "Remember that guy Kordic? Hell he wanted to kill you because of what your Grandmother had done before you were born."

Kevin failed to see the humor in his statement. "I guess my family lineage keeps putting people in danger."

"Your family lineage has saved a lot of lives, including mine and Kristine's. You have nothing to be sorry about, buddy. I do have something on my mind though that I'd like to talk to you about while we're alone."

"Fire away, everyone is inside either fighting over Jaz's book or peeking out the windows."

Adam took a deep breath, and then said what had been on his mind since the mall. "Do you think you should go with us tomorrow evening to Washington? If she follows you up there, it could compromise the mission. It's already going to be tricky enough without having to look over our shoulders for a fallen angel."

The question hit Kevin like a baseball bat to the head. Never in his wildest imagination would he have thought that his team leader would ask him to stand down from a mission. "I – I don't know what to say."

"I'm the Commanding Officer of the most secret fighting force on the face of the earth. This isn't something against you as much as it is about the success of the team."

Kevin placed his beer down and stood up. He cautiously stood in front of his team leader. "How dare you say that to me," he said with a strained voice. "I'm a Navy SEAL, and yes, the best God damn point man in the world. My duty is to protect my team and the success of any mission assigned to us. This is a test for SEAL Team Six, not SEAL Team Six without Kevin Dvorska!"

Suddenly, Candrea slid the back door open and began to step out. Kevin's rage began to grow as he looked at the blond werewolf. "Get the fuck back inside and guard the girls or I'll rip your God damn throat out – now!"

Candrea saw that he was losing his temper and wanted no part of that kind of fight. She cast her eyes down as she moved back inside and slid the door closed. After it was shut, she looked up and saw that he was now glaring down at his friend and had thoughts of trying to stop him from doing something he might regret. She turned and left the two men to settle their own argument.

Adam remained calm because he knew what Kevin was capable of if he lost his temper. "The safety of my team is..."

"My God damn problem! That's right, mine! I'm the point man and you'd follow me through the gates of hell because you know I'll get you out again."

Adam took a purposely-slow drink, allowing his friend time to try to calm down. As he set the bottle down, he looked up at Kevin. "Your temper is going to..."

boneams
boneams
739 Followers