The Chronicles of Hvad Ch. 12

Story Info
Decisions.
8k words
4.86
12.5k
12

Part 13 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/25/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,318 Followers

We rode slowly, to spare my injured leg. I had tried sitting on the little cart, but the bumping and shaking were just too much for me. Ahli's maid was the only one in it, now. Indrek's daughter preferred to ride.

Aare led our little escort of six men. Everyone else had gone in different directions. Borna was off, into Adarion, in pursuit of Leho's brother, Dagnis.

After burying the dead, Hravar took our wounded, and the prisoners - there were 150 of them - north. He would go back to our steading, and even into the forest, if necessary.

That would depend on Indrek, the Ban of Yelsa. He had enough men to defeat Hravar, or even Borna, if he moved quickly and decisively. Borna didn't believe that he would. The return of his daughter, unharmed, might persuade him to accept a truce, or even a peace.

- "I'd never seen a battle before." said Ahli. She insisted on riding beside me, and talking my ear off.

- "Hmm." I grunted. I was trying to rehearse what I was going to say to her father, if I got the chance to speak with him.

- "I hope I never see another."

- "That makes two of us." I replied.

- "Does your leg hurt?" she asked.

One look from me was enough to make her realize what a silly question that was.

"I'm sorry." she said, with the earnestness of a 15 year-old. "It's just that I'm ... curious. Nobody that I know could tell about me about a real battle. I don't think my father's ever been in one, either."

- "That's not necessarily a bad thing." I said.

- "No, I know that. I don't mean ... it's just that, if you're right, and the Izumyrians do invade ... shouldn't I know more about what's involved in a war? How it works, the cost ... I just wanted to ask you some questions."

I would have to be careful. I didn't want to give away too much information. But neither did I wish to insult Ahli, or offend her. 'She's important', Borna had said - more than once.

On top of that, I quite liked her.

- "What did you want to know?" I asked, with as much good grace as I could muster.

- "Well ... did the battle go as you expected?"

- "I certainly didn't expect to end up on my backside, with a hole in my leg." I said.

- "No, I meant, did it go according to plan?"

- "I know what you meant. Most battles don't. You have to be prepared for the unexpected. But in this particular case, Borna had a very good idea that Leho would ... pretty much do just about what he did."

- "Borna predicted it?" asked Ahli.

- "Partly. Bona knew that Leho would come seeking a battle. Then he offered him one that seemed to present several advantages for the Ban. Leho saw our numbers, and the edge of our line, just begging to be outflanked. He took the bait."

- "What if he hadn't?"

"Then we would have slipped away, off the back side of the ridge, and made for home. We were worried that your father might arrive, with many more warriors than we could have handled."

- "But you knew that he wouldn't? Or Borna predicted it?"

- "We guessed. Or hoped." I admitted.

- "But you had a contingency plan."

- "Always."

Ahli thought about that for a while.

- "Back up a bit - you said that Borna knew that Leho wanted a battle. How did he know?"

- "By putting himself in Leho's place - trying to see things as he would. Last year, Leho seemed to have all of the advantages: he had the numbers, the title, and the wealth. No reasonable man would dare to oppose him."

- "But Borna isn't a reasonable man." said Ahli, with a little smirk. She was guessing. She was also young, and impressionable.

- "We stung Leho several times. We overwhelmed his outposts, and captured men and horses. He had to answer it, somehow. That's why he wanted - why he needed a battle."

"See, Borna had no steading, no fort. There was nothing for Leho to capture. It had to be a battle. But Borna wouldn't give him one. We were safe in the forest. When Leho and your father tried to come into the woods after us, they got their fingers burned."

- "That still sounds like a lucky guess." she said.

- "You met Leho, didn't you?" I asked her.

- "Once. When we were betrothed."

- "What was your impression of the man?"

Ahli frowned. "At first, I thought he was handsome. And dashing. But we didn't talk much. He sat next to my father. I found him ... condescending, I suppose." She frowned again. "It feels wrong to be speaking ill of the dead."

- "Not if it's true." I said. Poor Ahli probably thought her romantic prince had come, and then she was disappointed that he wasn't interested in her at all - except as the means to an end. But I didn't have to bring that up.

"Did you find Leho ... patient?" I asked.

- "Patient? No, I don't think so. I don't think Leho had to wait for many things in his life."

- "Used to getting what he wanted?"

- "You're suggesting that he was impatient. Even rash. I see now." she said.

- "Proud. Unaccustomed to failure. Perhaps even a little vain. That's why Borna knew that his failure to come to grips with us would rankle. He burned our lands on his way home - but if he was claiming to be Ban of Yeseriya, then weren't they his lands? It was just spite."

- "He was angry, then. He must have been livid after you stole his salt!"

- "You heard about that?"

- "Everyone did." Ahli looked thoughtful again. "So you plan according to the character of your enemy? Is that it?"

- "Among other things." I agreed.

- "Such as?"

Her curiosity was insatiable. So I answered her questions as best I could, without giving away too many secrets. There weren't that many, really; it was all Borna. His daring, his eye for terrain, his luck. These things couldn't be duplicated, or copied by another person.

- "How would you judge my father?" she asked. "If you had to face him?"

- "I hope we don't have to, Lady. For everybody's sake."

- "I understand. But how do you judge his character?" she persisted.

- "I don't know. I've never met him."

- "You never met Leho, either." she pointed out.

She was a little too smart, too perceptive. I stubbornly refused to be drawn into a discussion of her father. For a time, the only sound was the clump of our horse's hooves, and the jingling of harnesses. Ahli changed the subject.

- "Did you .. did you lose any close friends? At the battle?"

Dirayr.

'He fought like a maniac.' said Mutimir. 'I thought he'd lost his mind. He just attacked. No defence. Like he didn't care. I saw that he was in danger ... just couldn't get there in time.'

Durra.

She had never fully recovered from the first wound. But she saw another woman in trouble, and went to her aid.

- "Yes." I said.

- "I'm sorry." said Ahli. "I shouldn't have asked that."

She changed the subject again. Ahli asked me a hundred questions about Borna. What kind of man he was, his family, our childhood. She steered me from one story to the next.

Until Aare rode over to join us.

- "They're here." he said.

***

Indrek of Yelsa did not cut a very impressive figure. He had a narrow face, a thin-lipped mouth that turned down at the corners, and a pair of overlarge ears. His grey hair was thinning, and his mustache only accentuated the curve of his mouth. He did have an impressive nose, but the wrinkles around his pale, grey-blue eyes made him seem old and anxious, all at once. He was a little old man before his time.

- "Father, this is Ljudevit." said Ahli. "He is Borna's Hand." The little imp was making herself the go-between.

- "Are you alright?" her father asked.

- "I'm fine. Nobody hurt me. Ljudevit has been very kind."

Indrek tried to give me an intimidating glare - he wasn't very good at it. I felt sorry for him, actually. He was a weak man, yoked into an alliance he hadn't sought, dragged along by the current of events - and apparently unable to change their course.

- "I'm not here as your daughter's jailer, Lord Indrek. We took her from her mother only to keep her away from Leho."

Weak, perhaps, but not a fool. Indrek continued to glare at me, but said nothing.

"I've come as Borna's envoy. To speak with you on his behalf." I said.

- "What would Borna say to me?" he asked.

- "First, that he regrets the necessity that drove him to take your daughter. But that he is glad he did, because we have learned to respect her. And she's learned a great deal about us. Ahli will have much to tell you, Lord - which is all to the good. The more we understand each other, the less likely we are to do something foolish."

- "What do you mean?" asked Indrek. "What would be 'foolish'?"

I took a deep breath. "Borna believes that continuing the war against you would serve no purpose. That there is no need for animosity between Yelsa and Yeseriya."

- "Does he, now?" said Indrek. That wasn't a challenge. He seemed to be mulling over what I had said, or considering his options.

- "What would it take, Lord Indrek, for peace between you and Borna?"

There it was. I'd thrown it out there, as Borna had asked me to.

- "I wish to speak to my daughter." said the Ban.

I nodded. I could hardly refuse. Indrek had come with almost 200 warriors. I had Aare, and six men. There was no way that I could harm Ahli. We were at his mercy, now. So I watched as father and daughter conferred.

Ahli came back to me.

- "He's angry, Ljudevit." she said.

- "That's understandable." I said.

- "Is it? I told him plainly that it's his own fault. He didn't have to join Leho in an attack on Borna. He said that it was for me. For my future."

Ahli shrugged, and smiled. "But that's not important. My father will accept a truce. Six weeks. Will that be long enough?"

- "Lady?" I was surprised. The meeting between a Ban and another Ban's Hand was being stolen by a little slip of a girl. Ahli had taken control, and was dictating terms.

- "That should give Borna enough time, don't you think?" said Ahli. She grinned at me.

- "What is it you seek, Lady?' I asked her.

- "Why - the same as you, Ljudevit. Peace. And then we can plan for the Izumyrian invasion, if it's really coming. Because if it is, we should really be on the same side. Don't you think?"

***

We held the election for Ban of Yeseriya at Manahir's steading six weeks later. Indrek attended the election, with his wife and daughter.

- "I am perfectly neutral." he said. My friends and I discussed what that meant.

- "Horseshit." said Nanaidh. "It's a show of support. But it's welcome."

We had a small meeting beforehand: Hravar, Nanaidh, and me, with Borna - at our request.

- "What's on your minds?" he asked us.

Of course, the other two suddenly got cold feet, and looked to me.

- "It's about the Uplanders, Borna." I said. "We know that you couldn't have won without them. And you know how I feel about Payl. And we all like Mutimir, and Broer BugEyes. And Eero."

- "But ..." said Borna.

- "But we're a bit worried." I said. "Especially about what happens next. You've given them confidence, and taught them to raid all over Yeseriya and Adarion."

- "And Yelsa." said Hravar.

- "Your point?"

- "We're worried that we may have created a monster here. What if they decide that they like raiding the Lowlands? They never had the numbers, before. Or the mobility. Now they have experience, better horses, and leaders who could unite them ..."

- "Like old Gatis." said Nanaidh. "He's a shifty bugger."

- "And that Reego RedFingers is one mad bastard." added Hravar. "I was glad that he was on our side, at the time, but now ..."

Borna smiled at us. "They have found a leader who can unite them." he said. "Me."

- "You?"

- "It'll all become clearer tomorrow. Thank you for bringing these concerns to me." The way he said it, it sounded like a dismissal. Hravar and Nanaidh took the hint, and bid Borna a good night.

When they had gone, Borna filled two cups, and passed one to me.

"I want your opinion, Ljudevit. I'm trying to choose three Hospodars, but it's more difficult than I had anticipated."

- "Three? Don't you mean two?" I thought Borna would take Manahir's steading, and the title of Ban, which meant that he needed to find Hospodars to replace Asrava, and his father, Gosdan.

- "I'll have to pacify Adarion." said Borna. "That will take all of next year, if not more. I expect I'll be in the saddle pretty much the whole time."

- "But -"

- "And I'll be leading a significant number of Uplanders. Unless you think that someone else can keep them in check?"

I had a momentary vision of Hanik Sawtooth running wild across Adarion, looting and burning. Would Lunach Kinslayer - or even Payl - obey anyone other than Borna?"

"No. You're right." I admitted.

- "My first choice is Hravar." said Borna.

- "Hravar would make an excellent Hospodar." I said.

- "My second choice is Mutimir."

I spit a mouthful of my drink across the table.

- "ThreeNipple? Mutimir - a Hospodar?" I sputtered. "Are you serious?"

- "In Asrava's place, of course. Anyone in that steading will have to deal with the danger of Uplander raids. You were right, earlier on - the Uplanders are beginning to feel more confident, further from home."

"But if anyone understands that danger, it's Mutimir. He would be our first line of defence in case of trouble."

"Most of the restless Upland warriors can find a place with me. And Mutimir could recruit more fighters for his own druzhina. He's a name. Well-known. Any Uplander who won't fight for me, or serve with Mutimir, will think twice before daring to attack him."

The more I thought of Mutimir as a Hospodar, the less crazy it sounded. He was able, commanded respect, and had proven loyal to Borna. He had also shown his ability to lead, independently, on the Long Ride. He owed his name to Borna.

- "I might get used to the idea." I said. "It would certainly please the Uplanders." I was sure that Borna had already considered that aspect.

Borna re-filled his cup from the jug.

- "The third choice is more ... problematic. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities." he said.

- "Two?" I couldn't help it; I was already trying to guess.

- "One would be an unusual choice." said Borna, giving me a hint.

- "Kawehka?" I guessed. Few people had done more for Borna.

Borna shook his head. "I had the same thought, though. I even asked him if he would consider it."

- "He said no?"

- "Eminently qualified ..." said Borna. "Except that he's unwilling. He won't leave the forest."

- "For a moment there, I was picturing Kanni as a Hospodar's wife." I said.

- "Hah! Yes." Borna smiled. "But no, not Kawehka - unfortunately."

"I was thinking of Modri." he said.

- "Modri?"

- "You don't approve?" asked Borna.

- "I like Modri." I said. "He's an honourable man, and I trust him. Not only because he was a Hand. I just don't know, yet, if he can be a leader. I think you should take him with us, next year - and find out."

- "Hmm. You may be right."

- "So who's the second choice? The unusual one?" I asked. "Not ... Lovro?"

Borna chuckled. "No. Lovro's a great warrior - but not ... not that kind of leader. I can't see him as a judge. Or as a Hospodar."

- "He would be the first to agree with you." I said. "After the battle, Lovro confessed to me that in another three or four years, he could see himself sitting by the fire, telling tall tales."

- "So you haven't figured out my third choice." said Borna. "You're slowing down, Ljudevit. Are you trying to reach a decision by process of elimination?""

I cudgelled my poor brains. It couldn't be Aare: he was honourable to a fault, and very bright, but virtually unknown. He also hadn't been tested in an independent command. One day, he would be a leader - but not yet.

And then it hit me. I felt stupid for having missed a name - it should have occurred to me much sooner.

- "Nanaidh." I said.

- "What?" said Borna. "No - my choice for the third Hospodar would be you, Ljudevit."

I think that my mouth fell open.

- "Me?"

- "Yes, you. Why not you?"

- "Me? Borna - I'm your Hand."

- "You've been more than that for a long time now." Borna stood up. "There's no one I trust more. I don't mean your loyalty ... I mean in the sense of being able to get things done - whatever the task may be."

"I trust your judgment, Ljudevit. And so does everyone else."

It was heady stuff. Obviously, I had never even considered such a destiny for myself. But as my thoughts swirled, and I tried to grapple with this idea ... I knew - instinctively - that this was not meant to be.

I just couldn't picture myself as a Hospodar.

- "No, Borna." I said. "Thank you - but no."

- "No?" he said, with one eyebrow raised.

I shook my head. "I'm your Hand. Even if the way you use me is unconventional, I'm still your Hand. That means something, to people. I swore to follow and serve you."

"The oath between a Hospodar and a Ban is something else. Loyalty, but also mutual obligation. We can't just cancel one oath, and substitute another. Remember what Aare said: how can I take an oath to someone who doesn't respect oaths?"

- "It's not quite the same." said Borna.

- "No - but it's close enough. Listen ... you can reward loyalty. But you shouldn't put people in positions of power and responsibility only - or even primarily - because of their loyalty. You have to judge talent, and integrity. Leadership. Otherwise, make Lovro a Hospodar, and have done with it."

"Besides -would people be ready for Payl? Would Payl be happy as a Hospodar's wife?"

Borna had to smile. "Perhaps not."

We fell silent again. I continued to seek a solution to this problem. Borna's thoughts, however, had gone off in a different direction.

- "You love her, then?"

- "Too much to try to tie her down." I said. "And too much to let her go, or to take another wife."

Borna sighed. "I wanted to reward you, Ljudevit. For everything you've done."

- "Your success - our success has been my reward."

- "I meant something for you alone." he said.

- "Borna - do you remember ... after the ambush - the three of us, lost in the woods? You, me, and Khoren."

- "Of course I do." he said. "I'll never forget it."

- "Neither will I. When I think back to that day, that night ... I couldn't imagine what winning would look like. I couldn't see the shape of eventual victory at all."

"Over the past few years, I pictured us winning in several different ways. Now, though - this is even better than I imagined. But here's the thing: in every version of victory that I imagined, I was there to share it with you."

"That's what being your Hand means. Your triumph is my triumph."

- "I know that." said Borna. "But won't you let me do something for you?"

- "Listen to my advice." I said. "As you always have." Well - almost always, I thought.

"Hear me one more time: Nanaidh."

Borna spread his hands. "Ljudevit, there's never been a female Hospodar."

- "How many female warriors had there been, before ... all of this?" I asked.

- "Some." said Borna.

- "How many immortalized in song?" I persisted. "Had you ever heard of a female guslar, before Noyemi? And would the idea of Ahli as Ban of Yelsa shock you? She's only 15, but we both know that she could do it."

"Nanaidh is a great warrior. She's loyal, intelligent, and capable. She's trained more warriors for your druzhina than anyone except you. And she's widely respected."

- "I know all of that." said Borna. "I'm not disputing what you say."

- "Borna - you're willing to make an Uplander a Hospodar. That's going to shock Lowlanders, but the Uplanders will be thrilled. They'll see it as a validation of their contributions."

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,318 Followers