The Circle Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"As part of the Circle of Artemis, we are duty-bound to serve both our fellow members, and the community we dwell in. You are all an integral part of that. And as we welcome our newest members, I want to impress on them the fierce strength these bonds will bring, and the responsibility that comes with pledging to this Circle of warriors, of friends, and of family." She smiled warmly at the group surrounding me, and when she met my eyes, I wished more than anything I could reach out through a mindlink and tell her how incredible she was. How much love and light she exuded, standing there, ready to share herself.

"Before we start any particular ceremonies, I'd like to share a few reminders our gorgeous Beta Aachari recently sent out in a Circle update." I chuckled with the rest of the crowd as she leaned over to Peter, who extended her cell phone to her. "Sorry, these are a little detailed." She opened it, and then scanned the notes as she continued. "As we prepare for the coming winter storm later this week, please make sure that your home emergency kits are stocked. If you need any help locating items, contact Delta Faber." Poppy waved her hand in indication. "Both Alpha House here, and Beta House next door, will be available for shelter if the need arises.

"Similarly, I'm sure you're all aware of the Blue Moon that will also reach height in the next few weeks. The inner Circle asks that you all please conduct yourselves appropriately out in public, and practice safe sex when in private. If you need assistance with contraceptives of any kind, see Beta Aachari after our ceremonies are finished." Margot waved.

Fuck. I had completely forgotten about the Blue Moon. And what a time for it - smack dab in the middle of an ice storm threatening half the South.

Not to mention the fact that I was unsure whether even I, with the willpower of Alpha blood, could control my own primal urges. Especially around the woman in front of me. There was a potent concoction most packs kept stocked to ease some of the raw hormonal power around these blessed moons, but the side effects weren't usually worth the trouble. For those of us unmated and unpaired, blessed moons meant finding a trusted partner for the short period, or a lot of self service.

"Finally, we will open our Q2 community service project form in a few weeks, so please be on the lookout for that so you can submit any potential opportunities for our assistance." She handed her phone back to Peter, smiling, and then turned back to the crowd in front of her. "Our first order of business is incredibly exciting, and I hope you'll allow me to share the news first here." Fiona looked down at Carter, her hand beckoning him to the stage, and he made the most sheepish face I'd seen yet as he did as his Alpha asked. He landed firmly next to her, and she reached her hand out to him.

"Please join me in welcoming Carter Carillo as Gamma of the Circle of Artemis." I joined in the loud cheers from the surrounding crowds as Fiona held up Carter's hand with her own, and then turned to him, their hands still joined. She held out her other one, and he placed his free hand in hers. "Please repeat after me." She pauses briefly before continuing. "As a member of this Circle."

"As a member of this Circle."

"I have pledged my loyalty to the light of the moon."

"I have pledged my loyalty to the light of the moon."

"I have taken the oath to our Alpha and her leadership."

"I have taken the oath to our Alpha and her leadership."

"And today, I make a further promise."

"And today, I make a further promise."

"To serve at the center of this Circle, for those whom I can guide."

"To serve at the center of this Circle, for those whom I can guide."

Still holding on to one of Carter's hands, Fiona reached for the top of a stool near where the rest of her inner Circle stood. Margot handed her a short, sharp blade, no bigger than Fiona's palm, and she returned to Carter, lifting his hand to face upwards. Slowly, she dragged the blade across both of their palms, crimson pooling in them. She returned her hand to his, and I watched as the bond between them grew.

I had witnessed only one other ceremony like this - the day George was confirmed as Alpha. It had been short, filled with old traditions that left little emotion or meaning behind the dry words, very different from these, repeated between himself and his pack leadership.

This, this felt like something different. As they stood there, their lips not moving, but their eyes saying everything over what I'm sure was a meaningful mindlink conversation, I could feel the air shift as he became a part of her inner Circle. Everyone else felt it too, probably more than I could, because of their connection. A buzz rolled through the crowd.

Carter took her other hand again, and not breaking eye contact, continued to speak.

"I, Carter Carillo, swear to serve Alpha Fiona Parker as Gamma of the Circle of Artemis. I do so pro-promise-" he faltered slightly, but Fiona just smiled at him, giving his hands a squeeze I could see from my spot, "to carry out my duties with a clear mind, sound body, and strong heart." He paused. "In the name of the Moon Goddess."

"In the name of the Moon Goddess," the crowd around me repeated, and I made eye contact with Beth, who just smirked. She knew what I was thinking. About how different his all was - how touchy-feely - in comparison to the ceremonies I'd described to her over paint samples and curtain choices when she pried into the traditions of the North Texas pack.

Fiona released one of Carter's hands and again held the other over their heads, a small drip of blood sliding down her thin wrist. Applause and cheers whooped around me as she pulled Carter into a tight hug, gripping her cut hand away from his custom looking suit jacket, and he found his place next to Poppy, whom he dwarfed with his lanky frame. Margot joined Fiona on stage, helping her wash her bloody hand and wrist in a small basin and handing her a towel to pat it dry. She exited the stage, handing the basin to Gregory, who placed it on a nearby table next to five similar ones.

"It's not often," Fiona started, dabbing at her hand. Then, her eyes landed on me. "That we are joined by someone who was not born into the Circle. But today, I have the honor of introducing the newest pledging member, Gavin Lightwell."

Those I hadn't met already, who hadn't heard the news of my arrival, murmured as I made my way to the stage, stopping to hand Gregory my beer. He gave me a clap on the back before I carefully went up the stairs, willing myself not to trip over my own gigantic feet as my first foray into this pack - this Circle.

I'm not a nervous person. I don't embarrass easily. My presence in the court room can be scary for some people, which I use to my advantage a lot of the time. But going into this with the same cocky attitude I attributed to everything in my life didn't feel like an option. Because the last thing I needed - the last thing I could do - was fuck this up, for so many reasons, the very top of the list being the woman on that stage.

I didn't make eye contact with Fiona until I could see the tips of her shoes, but when I did, her smile was warm and gracious. Our interaction earlier in the day seemed to have changed something in her - the determination and fierceness was still there, as I'd expected. But it was joined by something different in that smile. Curiosity, maybe?

She reached out her hands to mine, and I took them.

Instantly, heat radiated between us, and a little gasp escaped her lips, though she pressed on as if nothing happened.

"Please repeat after me," she said, and then paused like she had with Carter, her eyes boring into mine. "Today I pledge my fealty to the Circle of Artemis."

"Today I pledge my fealty to the Circle of Artemis."

"I give my loyalty to the light of the moon."

"I give my loyalty to the light of the moon."

"And my trust to the protection from the shadows that light provides."

"And my trust to the protection from the shadows that light provides."

"I agree to serve the Moon Goddess, her people, and the community in which we dwell."

"I agree to serve the Moon Goddess, her people, and the community in which we dwell."

She gave my hands a small squeeze, and then let go of one. The feeling was instant - ice cold up that arm - as she reached out for the second dagger of the evening.

Around us, crickets chirped - the sun was setting behind the stage and the light was incredible as it lit up her face. Every long lash, every wisp of blonde hair tied back by that clip, every crinkle next to her eyes as she smiled at me - I could see them all.

With a measured breath, she let go of my other hand, and I saw her face cringe at the same instant cold, but it was back in a smile in a heartbeat. She was putting on a face, but she felt it too.

And it was driving me insane.

I'd never experienced anything like this before, this intense heat every time our skin connected. I wasn't sure if it was something physical, or just some magical experience, like our shifting, that made me burn. Either way, it was new, and it made my mind race each and every time.

There was a glint of the dagger as she brought it back down to her almost completely healed hand - being Alpha had its privileges - before she brought it to mine. She made eye contact with me for one beat, then two, and then looked back down as the dagger slowly sliced across my palm. I winced, my claws lengthening, and watched as the blood surged around the cut, which looked deeper than Carter's. She probably assumed that, like her, I'd heal even faster than her other members, with my own Alpha blood coursing through my veins.

I missed her handing Margot the dagger, too distracted by the cut on my hand, because the next second, her hand was back in mine, and the moment our blood mingled, that heat flew back into me.

Except this time it felt like a scorching sun. But it didn't burn. It didn't hurt. It was like finding the white hot sky after hours spent inside, brighter than the sun setting behind us, blinding like noon on a Texas summer day. It was light, and it was all around me. And when I found Fiona's eyes again, trying not to stagger back from our joined hands, I knew she felt it too.

Her hand shook as she reached out to grab the one dangling dumbly by my side. Her eyes were molten, hot caramel bubbling on a stovetop. Around us, you could probably hear a pin drop if it weren't for the buzzing of the outdoors. I couldn't see the inner Circle, but I could feel their eyes, along with everyone else's, boring into us as Fiona hesitated.

Before I knew what I was doing, without even trying, I felt my mind reach out to hers, caressing the stone wall I knew she probably had built around her own defenses. But it wasn't a wall. It was a curtain. So flimsy that when I barely pushed, I watched her eyes widen as she felt me step through.

Breathe.

That's all I could say. All I needed to say. And the next second, she let out the breath she was holding, and I gave both her hands a steadying squeeze.

You need to repeat after me again.

I nodded at her, ever so slightly. This time, I repeated the words she sent to me over the link.

I, Gavin Lightwell, swear to serve Alpha Fiona Parker as Gamma of the Circle of Artemis.

"I, Gavin Lightwell, swear to serve Alpha Fiona Parker as Gamma of the Circle of Artemis."

I do so promise to contribute as a faithful member of the Circle with a clear mind, sound body, and strong heart.

"I do so promise to contribute as a faithful member of the Circle with a clear mind, sound body, and strong heart." I didn't need her to tell me the last part. "In the name of the Moon Goddess."

"In the name of the Moon Goddess." The crowd's resounding response was not as strong as the first time, but I still wasn't breaking eye contact to investigate.

I didn't know what this was. I didn't know what it was going to do to me - to the woman in front of me. But I knew, in that moment, that I'd just given myself over to her, mind and body, and whatever may come, I was in for the ride, the run, the fucking saunter through the garden, if it meant seeing just a piece of her soul, too.

12