All Comments on 'The Collaring of Chloe Ch. 09'

by MemoryofSnow

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The end of this chapter made me chuckle

“he lifted the back of Chloe's skirt, smacked her fanny once and returned it into place.”

I’m British and as you may already know “fanny” is archaic slang for vagina. I recall a British actor on a chat show reliving the embarrassing moment as he made the same mistake on a film set after having been told by the director to slap an actress on the fanny.

Tess (UK)

MemoryofSnowMemoryofSnowover 4 years agoAuthor
Regarding 'the end of the chapter'

I actually did not know that. I will have to remember that in the future. I had actually thought that the word 'fanny' was a somewhat 'British' was to refer to the buttocks, but I stand corrected.

I'm glad that you at least recognized what my American mind intended by the line. :)

Still, I will have to be more careful in the future.

nthusiasticnthusiasticover 2 years ago

American vs. British Slang

Back in high school I remember my mom, a rather ‘vocal’ driver, remarking on a car almost backing into us exclaim, “Better watch out there, missy; you almost got a fanny full of fender!” Neither of us had any idea why our London visitors burst into fits of uncontrollable laughter, refusing to explain the joke. Much later, after some suitable persuasion their son shared the alternative meaning of the word with me. Just a few years older than me, that wasn’t all he shared. 😊 💋 👩🏻‍❤️‍👨🏼

MemoryofSnowMemoryofSnowover 2 years agoAuthor

That's pretty funny. Yeah, I never knew that 'fanny' meant anything other than rear end until Tess pointed it out. I thought about even going in and changing the word in the chapter, just so that it synced better with British readers (of which I apparently have quite a few of), but never got around to it.

Of course, I'm sure there are a number of alternate definitions for phrases I've used, so that might begin a very slippery slope....

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMemoryofSnow@MemoryofSnow
Characters, Story, and Text for all my writing are protected by Copyright Law. Thank you for all the love and support I have received her over the last couple of years. I am grateful that my work here is still getting attention and comments and I received new Followers from ...