The Collegeworld Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

###

"I was disappointed Dr. Bergenheist wasn't there today. I so wanted to meet him," Genevieve said as they were walking toward the university's ice rink.

"He's probably just in some committee meeting or something like that."

"Have you met him? Talked with him? What is he like?"

How could he answer? Should he tell her the truth? Of course, officially he shouldn't know anything about the professor's extracurricular interests, and Genevieve might not even believe him if he told her. The best solution would be to have Lina talk with her, but it was undoubtedly a topic she did not want to talk about. Thomas would have to think about this carefully. Surely the professor wouldn't try to do anything until a bit later?

"Not really. I have heard him give a talk but I haven't taken any of his classes."

"A pity. I heard he is brilliant and kind, attentive to his students."

"Uh, okay. I can understand that. He certainly looks like a friendly grandpa. Well, here we are," Thomas said as they arrived at the rink. "I'd come in but I actually have to run, and besides, you probably want to practice without an audience."

"Well, yes, but of course you're welcome to come watch any time you want. If you like skating, that is. No pressure. I'm not even that good."

"Genevieve, I have no doubt your skating is absolutely breathtaking. I hope I can come watch another time. For now, I really must go. Sorry, I thought I'd have the whole afternoon free but I just forgot about something."

"No worries. Thanks for your help! I have your number now so I will just text you for another meeting another day, okay?"

"Great. Have a good practice."

Thomas ran to the nearest entry point to the monitoring complex, glad that he was in a pretty good shape now.

He ran through endless identical corridors that he now knew by heart. When he got to the door he hammered it more than knocked.

"Yes, what is it? Oh, 2077. Again in sim clothes, are we? So what's the emergency?" said 207, his supervisor.

Thomas bent over and rested his arms on his knees, catching his breath.

"Give me a moment," he panted.

"By all means take all the time, including my very valuable time, you need," came the snarky reply.

"So I've been wondering about preventative care."

"You came here running like a madman and almost broke my door because you've been casually wondering about preventative care?"

"Okay, that was not very well put. Say I've observed some of the agents in the sim engage in patterns that I think will result in maintenance and possible severe programming corruption in the near future."

"Why didn't you say so immediately? I honestly don't know how you always find this stuff but I gotta be honest, you're the best in my group right now. In fact I was thinking about doing this a little bit later, but what the heck. 2077, I want to extend you an offer of promotion from a technician to an investigative troubleshooter."

"A what?"

"I don't know when you're messing with me and when you're being serious. How can someone be so ignorant and so good at their job at the same time?" She took a deep breath. "Okay, so let me explain. As an investigative troubleshooter you are supposed to do pretty much what you're already doing, hang out in the sim, observe the agents and the integrity of the simulation. If you see a situation that needs taking care of you can call a tech or resolve it yourself, up to you, but your main job is to intervene when you see an emerging situation that a tech just looking at data or the video feed wouldn't be able to identify."

"Wow, that actually sounds like something I'd enjoy doing. Thanks, 207."

"Don't thank me. You have more than earned it. Oh, and 2077?"

"Yes?"

"Do try to get a life. It's not healthy for you to spend all of your free time in the sim. You already got promoted faster than pretty much anyone ever. Just relax a little bit. I don't want you to burn out."

"I will keep that in mind. So, do I need new equipment or something?"

"It's all in the tablet. I've unlocked the relevant sections for you to read. Now bugger off, I really am busy. I'm preparing a new batch of agents."

A memory sparked within Thomas.

"Actually, one more question? It's quick."

207 looked up from her screen, frowning. "Fine. What is it?"

"You mentioned new agents and it reminded me of something I wanted to ask about earlier but forgot. Remember that companion I had a while ago?"

"Yes, vividly. Speaking of, why haven't you requested a new one? Your waiting period ended weeks ago."

"Uh, it's a long story, and you said you're busy. Anyway, this one companion, you said you'd give her some strong sexual urges."

"We did, yes. So what about it?"

"I just thought I should try to improve my ability to see which agent patterns are emergent and which are programmed, so I thought it would help me to learn more about the different kinks and other hidden personality traits. You know, for research."

"Yes, I see your point," she nodded with no hint of sarcasm. "Be careful. If you keep being so on-point and proactive all the time I will have to promote you again." She looked at him expectantly. "Okay, it wasn't a particularly funny joke. So, your tablet will have new debug privileges, such as being able to see both the overt as well as the hidden personality traits of the agents you are working on. However, as you know, the company policy is that I can not reveal who or where in the simulation this companion is, so I can't give you the full dossier. Hmm... How about I send you an anonymized version for reference."

She tapped her computer. "There. This agent's sexual habits are by no means unique but we hope they provide an interesting combination together with the rest of her personality."

"Great, thanks, 207. I'll be sure to study it extensively," he quipped as he left the room.

Studying would have to wait, however. Thomas rushed to the control room and tapped Bergenheist's name into the console.

His heart was thumping as he waited for the image to come to focus. The camera was behind the professor, showing an ordinary meeting room with three other old, grey-haired men.

So he was in a boring committee meeting after all.

He was about to tune out when he realized that one of the other attendees was a physics professor. Thomas decided to turn up the volume and listen just in case it was interesting.

Bergenheist was talking. "...I told you, I don't know. Some kind of vigilante who must have been tracking me."

"You are positive he only referred to your individual actions?" The speaker was sitting opposite to Bergenheist. He was handsome in his silver beard and grey suit and was tapping his fingers on the table as he spoke.

"Positive. I destroyed the message, of course, but I remember it word for word. I think as long as I keep paying the whore for services not provided and appear clean in my office he's going to believe the act."

Thomas's focus sharpened. Something was going on. They were discussing the threatening message he had written to Bergenheist.

"How did he find out in the first place?" the bearded man continued.

"I don't know. My best guess is that he was following the girl. A lover, a stalker, who knows? The message was focused on her moreso than me."

"And you haven't noticed anyone follow you? Did you consider putting a camera in your office to see who picks up the cash?"

"Nobody is following me, I am certain. I decided against the camera. It seems like a risk in case he has his own camera there, or is otherwise keeping tabs on it."

"Good. Continue your preparation. Bergenheist, do you think we should switch you to a different role?"

"I don't see the need. You all know I am the best at what I do. The entertainment will be ready for the next shareholder visit. Quite a few have already been groomed and the rest are either in the pipeline or about to enter it. In fact, another potential candidate arrived just today."

"Excellent. We all know the stakes here," the bearded man said solemnly. "With no other pressing matters we are adjourned. Be careful, all of you."

Stunned at what he had heard Thomas watched Bergenheist get up from the leather chair and walk out of the university president's private meeting room. Something sinister was going on and Thomas was certain the way Bergenheist talked about "grooming" the "entertainment" wasn't good. The latest arrival would have to be Genevieve. Thomas fiddled with the controls and switched the camera to Couture, Genevieve.

She was sliding graciously on the ice, her arms spread wide and her eyes barely open. There were a few other girls and a guy in the rink with her, all of them in their own little part of the ice. A woman in her fifties was standing in the center, shouting commands and instructions.

She was safe, at least for now.