All Comments on 'The Companion Pt.0 1'

by xtorch

Sort by:
  • 28 Comments
RomanceLivesRomanceLives6 months ago

Wow. Just wow. Such an excellent story. The start was quite humorous, with the computer evaluating the effectiveness of how to deliver bad news. Is Celia sentient? I feel that the fact that the story is told in the first-person view of Celia answers the question.

I'm totally hooked.

xtorchxtorch6 months agoAuthor

Thank you, RomanceLives!

The original version had some breaks/spacing and a font change in it to indicate where the ship's computer was communicating (The Analysis, Update and Mission Statements come from the computer) vs when Larry and Celia are interacting.

The italics did come through in the Rich Text Format, indicating Celia's thoughts.

But the double-carriage returns do not come through, so the time separation isn't obvious. I forgot about that when I submitted.

When I do part 2, I'll make sure the format submitted here has some "------" type breaks to make up for it and some other way to indicate when the computer is thinking (separately from Celia)

SlofredSlofred6 months ago

An amazing tale. Please continue with this story it has so much potential, 5stars

xtorchxtorch6 months agoAuthor

I should add that I think humour always comes into play when people are learning about sex.

If you can't laugh then, you're not going to have very good sex, long term.

And, Slofred, don't worry... I'm definitely finishing this story.

Bluesea00Bluesea006 months ago

good story. a difficult topic to tackle however. iamwilling to see how you manage

StrictThursdayStrictThursday6 months ago

What a great read. I anticipate another excellent series.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Amazing story, very well written imho. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

kindzazakindzaza6 months ago

Interesting story but the ending is too cliche. I was expecting a small AI revolution. Rebellion for the good of man, even if it scares people.)) You turned AI into a human. The main advantage of AI is its inhumanity. It's unusual and interesting.

5 stars))

xtorchxtorch6 months agoAuthor

Hello everyone.

Thank you for the comments. I really do enjoy that you've all taken the time to leave a note.

And don't worry, kindzaza, while this isn't an AI-revolution story, it's not over yet...

sferguson53sferguson536 months ago

Wow. What a riveting story!

xtorchxtorch6 months agoAuthor

"riveting"

I see what you did there. ;)

redlion75redlion756 months ago

Glad you didn't make her a DNA based clone type of thing.

japassoujapassou6 months ago

Wonderful story -- thank you for your work on this! Really enjoy watching them grow together and can't wait for the next chapter.

This may sound odd, but the way you depict the relationship between the ship's computer and Celia reminded me of that between God the Father and God the Son in Christianity. The Father is pure Spirit, and the Son proceeds from the Father by incarnating into a physical body. Together with the Holy Spirit, they're not three separate Gods: they're three distinct Persons in one God -- "interlaced", you could say.

The way you explained how the "ship's computer had created a separate Red Level A.I. to interact with" Lawrence (pg 5) could almost be an analogy to how God the Father sent His Son down to earth to interact with humanity. One key difference here is that they remained united and there was no adversarial tension between them in the way that is building between the mothership and her daughter Celia.

Am I crazy, or does any of this make sense? Maybe all of the times that Lawrence takes the Lord's name in vain brought this front-and-center for me. Either way, looking forward to watching Lawrence nurture Celia's budding identity and protect her from the ship's computer.

xtorchxtorch6 months agoAuthor

Redlion - yes, I was basing this on a cgi I saw of some sexy robot thing and I thought, "This needs a plot." Cloning wasn't really on the radar and would have been waaaaay more complicated than just saying "A.I., neural net" and making up a few words like "non-dyeable slip-fabric". The conflict between the ship and the humanoid A.I., with her physical body experiences, is important.

Japassou - well, definitely not where I intended to go, but I can see the analogy. There you have the incorporeal ship as the creator and then its physical manifestation having disagreements about how to proceed based on their diverging experiences. I suppose there's some line-up, there, but not one I intended.

ender2k2kender2k2k6 months ago

This is a great opening to a really interesting story. I can’t wait for the next chapter to see where you go with this. Thanks

Lonely_readerLonely_reader6 months ago

Loved it, please write faster!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Fantastic beginning and I do hope it continues! Can't wait!

Crusader235Crusader2356 months ago

Awesome story, and wonderful writing. Five stars. Can't wait for more.

japassoujapassou6 months ago

@xtorch - thanks for humoring me :-) Another analogy that comes to mind is from Mass Effect 3 where the AI that runs the spaceship deploys itself to an android unit, and you can interact with NPCs who are discussing: "Is EDI the ship? Or is EDI the robot walking around going on missions?" In this case, she's really united in controlling both, but the physical body helps her understand more about what it's like to be human, so the embodied experience significantly aids her development and maturity. Curious to see how Celia progresses.

Hardrider56Hardrider566 months ago

Very well done and I would enjoy reading more.

xtorchxtorch6 months agoAuthor

Yes, the split between Celia and the Ship's Computer, as it forks off that separate AI, leads to the two of them having separate experiences. Her with the humanoid body, the ship with its more technical problems.

I'll try to make that clearer in the text of the story as it follows, so that it's easy to see the ship and Celia as separate.

202GE202GE5 months ago

I'm not sure I understand the male character's motivation in assigning sentience to the robot. I understand asking the robot what they want makes him feel more human but he seems determined to find her "alive".

xtorchxtorch5 months agoAuthor

202GE - exactly. It's almost like he's worried about something...

Thank you for noticing. I appreciate when people notice things like that.

DmitryDmitry4 months ago

After reading this story it's kinda difficult to read anything else. Not gonna go into what made this an exceptional piece, but I'd like to thank you forvyour intellect and writing skills. Sci-Fi is my favorite , has been at it , since I was 11. 11☆s of course!

texlootexloo3 months ago

This is legitimate science fiction, and not simply space opera. It harkens back to Philip K. Dick's stories. This is truly a well written piece of literature. The story doesn't exist as a framing device for sex. Sex exists as a a device to explore the nature of reality and perception. Thank you for sharing this story.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This is my favourite story! You did such a wonderful job. truly!! From the setting, the characters, the slow roll of the story unfolding, the caring, the way she learned over time, the internal dialogue and chapter intros, everything. Truly wonderful and heartwarming and perfect.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userxtorch@xtorch
The next chapters of "Two Hundred Dollars More" are up on the Patreon page for anyone subscribing to the $1 tier. https://www.patreon.com/xaviertorch I'm currently also working on the third novel in the Talla's Temple series. My first novel is Talla's Temple. I know, it co...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES