The Conquered's Choice Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The holds and cities that we allowed to join us without payment of the conquered's choice were not our true foe, so your decisions do not carry insult. However, when King Delvor falls, you cannot grant him the mercy of fealty. Though I doubt he would offer it, he has too much Kelvik blood on his hands, has committed too many crimes against the realm, to be given such an easy escape from true justice. Whether he lives or dies may be uncertain as of yet, but he MUST pay the price of conquest at the very least," Crolsef said sternly.

Mutters of approval and nods came from the other chiefs.

"Will you promise us this Volren?" Crolsef asked, finally turning and addressing Volren directly.

Vol stared for a few moments and then nodded "Yes Crolsef, your words ring true. If he abdicates, the conquered's choice will be part of any agreement we reach."

Crolsef gave a proud smile. "I nominate Volren then. As Arch-Chieftain of the Kelviks!"

Volren spoke up before any more votes of approval could be raised. "For now," he said. "Until a proper Moot can be called after the war."

"No," Crolsef said confidently. "All chiefs are here. All voices are heard. All, of course, except your own father, protecting our home back in Kelvia. Do you think he will object Volren?"

The other chiefs chuckled.

Crolsef continued, "I say that this will be our moot. The blood fire and week of celebration will wait until after the war. But the vote, and debate is here and now."

The other chiefs nodded in agreement.

"Any other words to say then, before we vote?"

No one moved.

"Volren!" Rufole shouted and held his fist to his chest.

"Volren!" Karndel added, across from him.

The rest of the chiefs did the same, one by one, around the circle. No one held out, or even hesitated. As he watched them, Volren was filled with a deep pride. These men, whom he had respected and admired for so long, were giving him their allegiance, and their trust. He had never felt so moved. He would make them proud of their decision. He would honour their voices and their values. He would be a Kelvik first, and Volren second. A fair price he thought. Enough sulking avoidance, he told himself. Time to lead.

Unanimously, Volren was elected as Arch-Chieftain of the Kelviks. He knelt before the chiefs and the Arch-Chieftain's chain was placed aroudn his neck. They drew their swords, standing before him in a half-circle and pointed the blade tips at his chest, and the large pearl that adorned the chain.

"I will serve you, and the Kelvik people, with honour, and duty," he said.

"And we will follow!" they bellowed out as one.

* * * * *

Vol raised his goblet of mead high, at another blessing of his rule from the revellers around him, and emptied it. It tasted delicious, and it would feel so nice to get drunk, he thought, but he knew they needed to stay sharp. The king's forces would almost certainly be licking their wounds and in no position to mount another attack yet, but they needed to stay ready just in case. He had tried to suggest they only designate a certain quantity of mead and keep the celebrations from getting out of hand, but with the dual-reasons of Groldur's wake and his anointing as Arch-Chieftain, a lack of celebration seemed unthinkable, and he didn't persist.

The fires blazed with sticks of meat cooking over them, and dancing men and women all around them, with drumming and flutes playing energetically. He agreed to one dance with Balia, her beautiful face aglow with confident pride under her brown hair, adorned with his engagement wreath.

When he had knelt down and presented the wreath to her that afternoon she had given a cocky grin and raised an eyebrow, as if considering making him ask her more than once, or do something else to earn it. She simply wanted to see him falter and laughed an excited yes, lifting him up in her slender, but strong arms.

People clapped and cheered as he danced with her, and he admired her long darkly-tanned muscular legs as they moved with the rhythm. She held his hand and blew a kiss to the crowd as it ended, and led him through a crowd of well-wishes, salutes and shoulder-slaps. She knew he was exhausted from the long day. She had read the look on his face and simply smiled and nodded, holding his hand and eventually escaping the others to find his tent.

Balia kissed him deeply and aggressively as soon as they were inside the tent-flap, throwing her arms around him.

She chuckled huskily at his surprise, her perky breasts shook against his chest as she held him tightly. "You didn't think I was tired and wanted to sleep did you?"

He smiled, "We can put off rest for a while longer I suppose,"

She raised an eyebrow, "You suppose?"

He smiled and kissed her back again. She pulled away seeming to be angry at him, but also started massaging his cock overtop of his pants.

"Don't go thinking now that you're Arch-Chieftain you can start to treat me differently," she said with a challenging smirk.

"I wouldn't dream of it. You're the one thing I never want to change," he said with a heavy breath as his cock quickly grew and he ran his hands under her thin woolen shirt.

She gave a more satisfied smile. "You'll still be that nervous warrior-boy that I got drunk and took advantage of on his first scouting mission all those years ago?" she said slyly, moving her hand underneath his pants.

He smiled and chuckled, as he slid his hands over her tits and felt her hard nipples. "Yeah," he agreed. He wasn't sure if he could ever disagree once her hands were on his cock.

"Hmmm let me ride my drunken little Arch-Chieftain," she said, leading him over to the bed without taking her hand off his throbbing erection.

"Little arch-Chieftain? he said, moving closer to loom over her. Though he was 6'4" she only stood a few inches shorter.

She slowly pumped his cock and looked down and back up with a smirk, "Okay... NOT-so-little," and threw him down on the bed.

She laughed as he caught himself against the mattress and quickly threw off her shirt and pants. He did the same and exhaled as her tall muscular tanned body crawled over him. He ran his hands her firm thighs and teased her mound before running them up her toned abs and squeezing her breasts within his hands. Her skin was thick and tough, but smooth and tight over her contours. She moaned and kissed his neck. She ran her hands over the defined muscles and scars of his torso and up into his straight, brown, chin-length hair and massaged his scalp and neck as her pussy slid over his cock, teasing him with anticipation.

She sat up and slid her wet pussy up his abs and chest, holding his head down firmly by the hair. He looked down to eagerly meet her pussy with his mouth and revelled in her moans as he pleased her with his tongue. Her low groans grew louder as she gyrated her hips against him, but before she came she let go and slid back down his body, kissing him hungrily and panting heavily as she grabbed his cock and aimed it at her slit.

She sat down on his hips in one smooth powerful motion, making his body flex upwards in response as he bottomed out inside her. She moaned aggressively and immediately started fucking him in hard jerking motions with her hips, bringing herself quickly to climax as she dug her nails into his abs. She let out guttural groans of release as she rode out her orgasm.

She collapsed on to him, her firm, perky breasts pressing into him as she bit his collar bone with a husky laugh and resumed assailing his cock with her pussy. Slaps of flesh sounded in the test as her hips bounced wildly off of his, almost painfully. She stared at him with a satisfied open-mouthed grin, watching his pleasure build. He was getting close, and she could tell by the look on his face. She ground herself into him harder a few more times with a victorious arrogant gaze and then suddenly pulled off him as she saw him wince with desire.

She moved quickly to slide her mouth over top of his cock and pump his shaft vigorously, and a few seconds later he grunted and released his seed into her mouth. He eventually relaxed and she swallowed the remnants, licking her lips with a satisfied smile, before sliding up next to him on the straw mattress.

She had always been an impatient lover, wanting to cum as soon as she could. It was always a gallop with her, and an exciting one, but sometimes he wished he could cherish it longer. He ran his hands over the firm, tanned skin of her lithe figure and asked himself what more could he ever ask for.

Unfortunately his mind started answering that question as he lay there, feeling exhausted but unable to sleep. Balia snored in his arms. She was a great woman, and an exciting lover. He had wished he could have cum inside her, but she was always careful not to risk a pregnancy. She only ever talked of children as a far off possibility, being fully dedicated to her warrior-maidens. That might change now that she had accepted his engagement-wreath, but he doubted it.

His thoughts turned to the last woman he had laid with. The Baron of Ralvia's plump wife. She had led him to her bed eagerly after he agreed to be gentle. Her tender embrace had lasted so long before he finally spilled his seed, sunken deep within her soft flesh, as her thick pillowy thighs pulled him deeper, refusing him any notion of pulling out. He could see how a man could get used to it... though of course he knew Kelvik warrior-maidens were superior women all around.

The letters from Ralvia were the next he had been about to read earlier that day. His mind turned to Zea, that enticing mysterious woman he had never met. He decided he should reply and release the dove at night under the protective shroud of darkness. He slipped away from Balia's limp sleeping body and found his way over to his desk table, unlocking the strong-box underneath.

He found himself reading the letters again, as he had so many times before, finding them soothing, especially that last one he had left off on. He remembered his reply.

* * * * *

Dear Zea,

Once again your insight is precious to me and I only wish your dove could reach me more quickly. He arrived just before we came upon the city of Ralvia and your warm reassuring words likely saved me from doing anything rash in anger from what followed.

The Baron responded favourably to my petitions for a peaceful agreement, but it was a lie. An astute scouting officer saved us from being completely taken off-guard as we approached the city.

The battle outside their walls was bloody and bitter, but the one good thing that came of it was the fellowship between our Gerundians and Condurans after I followed your advice. We ended up taking their city by force, as the stubborn Baron would not relent. Even after ceasing their resistance he refused fealty, though I almost didn't offer.

Thus, they were given the conquered's choice, with more choosing ravishing than relinquishing, including the Baron himself, surprisingly. Though his wife might have insisted, as she was impatient to get me alone, and resisted my departure.

I admit it helped the dour mood I've been in. I realized how much I miss my warrior maiden, and I'm happy to know her band will be joining us in a few days. I suppose there's no danger in revealing that her name is Balia, if you insist on knowing.

I had little hope of turning Ralvia anyway, and the outcome was as much as I expected. However, shortly after we left the city gates, a mangonel fired off at us. We were shocked to see the Baron's head land at our feet instead of a rock. Apparently he tried to force his remaining guard to head out after us on a suicide mission to assassinate me, and they disagreed.

So, Ralvia has a new Baron, and he has decided to throw in his lot with us. I decided to be generous and send back some of our troops to act as a standing army against any incoming royal attacks until his own could be replenished. In exchange they will provide us with grain, which will be of increasing importance as our army grows and our campaign stretches on.

I'm not sure what you will think of all this. You make me feel like a club-wielding barbarian instead of a competent leader, with the cleverness of your guidance, and I'm not sure if my actions will have been to your liking. I expect you know of the conquered's choice, of ravishing one's spouse, or relinquishing one's goods, which has been the reality of war for generations now in this part of the realm. That is, until I started changing things by offering fealty as an alternative. I assure you it applies to our warrior-maidens as much as warrior-men, and I expect Balia has likely enjoyed a husband or two in her conquests since we last were together. These traditions run deep, and though they often make me uncomfortable, they are important at least to the people I lead, and their respect is what everything hinges on.

I am not sure I should care so much of what you think of me, but I find that I do. I too anticipate your letters with eagerness, and your words have made my life much improved. Perhaps even saved it. Tell me, what do you draw inspiration from? What fills your life between writing your beautiful letters to me?

We are continuing on to Dosmer, as I'm sure you would predict. They have already sent unbidden letters of support, but I take nothing for granted at this point.

Your trusting friend,

- Vol

* * * * *

My dear, gallant Vol,

Undoubtedly the best thing in my life right now is when your letters arrive. I find myself on my balcony watching the sunset, and almost leaping at every white bird I see on the horizon, wishing the distance between us was much, much less.

You must know I could hold no resentment to you for the partaking in the conquered's choice. Why would I? For respecting tradition and honour? For doing what is expected of you from those you lead, as you say? These things are essential in a great leader, which you undoubtedly are. The Choice is still an improvement from the ancient chaos of raping AND pillaging, which is still followed in many parts of the world.

I love that you still wish to make war even less brutal, but brutality will always be an unfortunate reality at times. The only ill will I feel is jealousy towards the baron's wife. I am unsurprised she insisted in his choice. I am glad that she brought you some fulfillment at least. How does Balia compare? What type of woman is she?

As for me, since you so thoughtfully asked. My main passion is certainly reading, about this realm and others, history, politics and philosophy, stories of valiant heroes and the loves that inspired them. I have much more access to books now than I did when I was younger, which I suppose is one thing that is good about my life. Music brings me joy as well, and there are many fine musicians in Alanaris, though I get to enjoy them far less than I'd like, and miss singing along. I keep birds of many kinds besides my dove. Beautiful colourful songbirds, a peacock in the gardens, and I cherish my falcon, even though my lover thinks it unwomanly of me as I wear my gauntlet.

I feel like you are needing my insights less and less, and I am unsure whether to feel concerned or proud. You are right in not taking Dosmer for granted. Though they are allies for now, when you meet with them be sure to respect their religion, cultish though it may seem. If you have pearls to gift them, then you should. They are prized there more than anywhere else, and their abundance on the Kelvik shorelines is much of what makes them eager to befriend you.

The king is beyond angry. This is finally a true war in his eyes. He sends out his full force now, or at least as much as he is willing to send away from defending our city. He still sends most towards Groldur, even though your Arch-Chieftain's army pales in comparison to yours even more now. You should not waste time in Dosmer, and make haste to join armies with Groldur, as I think he will be in dire need of you soon.

Please stay safe in these treacherous times, for me.

Your restless, yearning watcher,

- Zea

* * * * *

Dear Zea,

It struck me that this is the first of your letters that has dampened my spirits instead of lifting it, though through no fault of your own. My spirits were already high, and I was sure that some type of sobering news must eventually come. Your information is invaluable as ever, and has confirmed my fears that Groldur might be in serious trouble. We have set off with haste to the east to meet his army now, and I am sure that our forces together can defeat the king's forces, as long as we make it in time.

I have done as you said with Dosmer and the pearls were indeed met with deep appreciation and sparked their optimism. They are a strange people but their support is critical as we draw nearer to the capital. Unbelievably, Condura has sent letters of cautious support after knowing our intervention had rekindled their lumber trade with Gerundia. I had expected neutrality at best, but they are contributing supplies and a small supporting force as we speak. At this point I will never doubt your wisdom and advice.

My good spirits though are mostly thanks to Balia. We are finally together again and I had forgotten how much I missed her. She is a noble and fearless warrior-maiden. She can be abrasive and overly mocking at times, but her strong will is much of what makes her admirable. I am sure she could be a leader, but she shirks the notion, preferring the chaotic throng of battle and the thrill of the hunt, over the command chair. I only fear she will be hesitant to ever slow her life down enough to marry and have a child. Though I am excited that she has hinted she would say yes if I presented her a marriage wreath. She too was impressed with your insights when I told her of you.

Do you know any more about the king's forces that left the city? Especially the ones headed towards Groldur?

I hope you know how valuable an ally you are to us,

Gratefully yours,

- Volren

* * * * *

Volren,

I am shocked that you told her of me. Did you show her my letters? I didn't think I needed to explain that they are private, intended for you and you alone. The trust that I cherished was with you alone. The relationship I thought I was building was with you alone. I cannot help but feel betrayed. Who else have you revealed me to? Have my letters simply been handed around?

I am trying to keep faith as I write you in doubt-ridden tears, but fear is overtaking me. Fear that you have been leading me on, with false interest, false admissions, and false trust. Fear that I have been wrong about you. That you really are no different from the other men in my life that have disappointed me so.

I had been spreading good rumours of you in the city to counter the king's propaganda against the Kelviks, to help the people know that you are a valiant, just, and merciful man. I am having trouble finding the will to continue.

Has Balia been such an advocate for you? Has she bolstered your support and good-will among your allied leaders? Has she given you solace and advice? Or does she simply dismiss and mock, like a common soldier, before abandoning you to run off on a raiding party again?

Perhaps I am wrong about her, as jealousy admittedly consumes me, but if she shirks even the leadership of her squadron, then how could she rise to the occasion of the station you would give her through your marriage?

I suppose I should not care. You are welcome to her if that is your wish.

I feel I cannot safely reveal any information to you now, but I will simply say that the kings force was grand, with a mix of soldiers, and you will likely not arrive in time to save Groldur from them.

Your mourning dove,

- ZEA

* * * * *

Dear Zea,

I am truly sorry. It was thoughtless of me to simply mention that off-hand, and I understand why it has distressed you so.