The Conquered's Choice Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vol was suddenly distracted at a falcon that swooped down and landed on Zarina's arm. He hadn't even noticed she had been wearing a gauntlet. She smiled softly and touched her nose to the bird's beak before looking back to resume her stare at Vol. He looked away before he was hypnotized, turning his thoughts briefly to Zea. He wondered why her lover was so against her own falcon if even the queen had one.

"Ignore her and that damnable bird." Delvor said, giving her an annoyed side-eye. "She insisted on coming. I promise if anyone picks your eyes out it will be me personally."

The king finally seemed to regain his composure and stood straight again with his nose in the air. "I came here, to make a generous offer to you, partly out of pity, but mostly a desire to see this stupidity ended quickly, for all our sake."

Volren squinted suspiciously and smirked, "I am morbidly curious as to what a 'generous offer' from one such as yourself would be. For my testicles to be blessed with the touch of your eminent foot?"

To his satisfaction he heard his own men and even some of Delvor's chuckle.

The king scowled and stared him down. "It has become clear to me that the province of Kelvia no longer deserves to be part of this great realm. I am willing to grant you your independence. Is that not what Groldur's original petition to me had been? Take it and run. Go home and fly your flag and beat your drums and fuck your bears or whatever the hell you wish to do. However, do not think our borders will be open, or that you can trade for any of our fine goods you cannot produce yourself, and we will see how 'great' a nation you can build without us."

Vol was shocked. He had not expected this. Despite the derogatory framing of it, this was exactly what Groldur had set out to accomplish. It was his sole desire as recently as a year ago. The rebellion had grown so far beyond that now though, with the other regions joining in the fight for many of the same reasons as them. He felt like he should want to think more on it, but was even more shocked at how obvious the answer was to him.

He looked beyond the king to the generals and soldiers. His eyes landed like a magnet on Queen Zarina who looked like she had never stopped staring at him, and he was shocked again when she, ever so slightly, shook her head no. Her eyes seemed to hold a look of warning as well. He wasn't even sure if he had simply imagined it, but it was enough to make him sure of the words he had been about to say anyway.

"No," he said, trying not to imagine how insane this would seem to the Volren that first joined this rebellion. "This fight goes beyond you and I, or you and Kelvia. This is about removing a corrupt, incompetent despot from the power he unjustly wields over a suffering people. Kelvia has been a proud part of this realm for generations, and will continue to be."

Delvor sneered and bore his teeth.

Volren continued confidently, "I was going to offer to spare your life, for the sake of avoiding the suffering of your innocent civilians. Despite your crimes, I would offer you the chance to avoid your doomed fate and step down peacefully, with promised safe passage to an exile in a location of your choosing. For your wife as well if you so desire."

Vol glanced back at Zarina as he said it, and caught her stiffen and widen her eyes in fear for a split second before regaining her elegant composure.

"Don't waste your words boy." Delvor spat. "You embarrass yourself with such a meaningless boast."

"And I expected as much of a response," Vol said with a resigned frown, stealing another instinctual glance at Zarina again without meaning to.

The king stared him down. "Go on and look at her as much as you want boy. Take her in so you can picture her tonight in your dirty tent, while I fuck her in my palace. Know that it's as close as you'll come before I put your head on a spike and ravage whatever pathetic beast you call a wife underneath it, until I tire of her squeals and slit her throat!"

He heard Balia step forward behind him, "I will kill y-..."

She fell silent as Vol half-turned and held out a hand to signal her to step back.

The king laughed in satisfaction. "Perhaps I will let my men have a g-..."

"ENOUGH!" Volren bellowed deeply, his voice echoing off the city walls, and making the king shut his mouth in surprise.

Volren continued, "I have no basis on which to measure your claims of this mysterious, invisible army coming to save you, or of my allies' sudden inexplicable deceit. So I suppose the only way to find out is to wait. Let us rest and watch, and eventually we will see who's words will have rung true."

The king stood silently, but his stewing anger was writ plain on his face.

Finally he looked beyond Volren and shouted, "Will you stand for this boy to throw away your independence so ignorantly? Will you just stand there and let him spell your doom instead of granting you your dream?"

Vol didn't dare look behind him and give away his doubts. Instead, he watched the king's face turn even redder and angrier and it was all he needed to see.

"SO BE IT!" Delvor shouted. Sparing one last glance at Volren to spit in his direction before spinning and stomping away.

General Lemmik gave him an exaggerated scowl before doing the same. General Quorn seemed to study him for a moment with an unreadable face before calmly turning to follow. Zarina's falcon flew away and then she held his stare for a moment as well, with a face that rivalled Quorn's in its neutrality. She took a large breath and pulled her cloak snugly around her middle, bulging her soft pale breasts above the neckline for an enticing moment, before slowly and smoothly turning and walking away. He tore his eyes from the sway of her round buttocks as the wind whipped her dress tightly against it.

He finally turned to face his chiefs and warriors, unsure of what they would think of him. The nods and stalwart stares he received were reassurance enough, for now. Balia was seething with anger too much to express anything else. He wordlessly nodded back to them and walked back to their camp as they followed, not speaking until he finally returned to his command tent.

"Tell the chiefs we meet again in one hour," Vol said to the others, turning away to enter the tent.

Finally alone, he sat down heavily in his chair feeling exhausted, and knocked his mug on to the floor in frustration.

Balia stomped through the door and threw her bow on to the floor angrily.

"What good are my weapons if I am not allowed to use them!" she said bitterly. "You should have let me kill him!"

He gave her a look of affectionate remorse "Believe me Balia I wanted to, but there would have been brutal bloodshed afterwards. Needless bloodshed. He WANTED to make us angry and do something stupid because of it. Don't give him what he wants."

She scowled and crossed her arms. "They all deserve to die for following that bastard."

"Many have left when given the opportunity, and some haven't been given that yet. Some have no real choice. Think of them," Volren said.

She glanced at him doubtfully, "I don't know how a leader can care so much for his enemy."

"HE is our enemy," Vol insisted. "He alone."

"Anyone who opposes Kelvia is our enemy as far as I'm concerned," Balia retorted.

Vol's shoulders sunk. "Do you... think I should have taken his offer then?"

Balia hesitated, "It would be impossible to trust, so it doesn't matter."

Vol was silent for a moment, then asked her, afraid of the answer, "If you somehow could trust it. Would you? Should we settle for an independent Kelvia and leave the rest of the Realm to him?"

She crossed her arms and gulped, "It might be worth consideration."

"Because then you wouldn't have to be queen?"

"Because I don't want to rule, defend and represent people I don't understand!" she exclaimed in frustration.

"They're not that hard to understand if you try. If you talk to them. If you spend time among them."

"I don't want to!" she pouted and turned away.

She opened a mead bottle and drank a generous gulp, handing one to Vol which he accepted eagerly.

"I will not be a queen like Zarina I can promise you that," Balia said bitterly.

Vol opened his mouth again, against his better judgment, "I don't doubt that for a second. For what it's worth though, I was talking to Clef about them, and she actually sounds much different than Delvor. Apparently she does what she can to help the common people, is politically savvy, and might be a valuable asset if we can somehow keep her as an ally."

Balia scoffed, "Give me a break. Was she able to scramble your brain simply by batting her eyes at you? I could see enough from her haughty stare and that luxurious dress. She's a type built to breed and nothing else."

Vol had to agree, other than the 'nothing else' part. He kept his thoughts to himself.

"The pathetic thing is even THAT's a ruse," she continued. "A false advertisement with her fertile-looking figure when she can't even produce an heir in eight years."

Vol opened his mouth again to mention Clef's words, but shut it again as he thought better of it.

"What do you think the other chiefs will say about his offer?" Vol asked, changing the subject.

"I don't know, I don't care," she said.

Vol raised his eyebrows.

"Okay fine, I care, but I don't want to think about it right now," Balia admitted. "I need to go find someone to spar with."

"That's fine," Vol said as she walked away. "Balia, thank you for being th-..."

He stopped his words as she had already left the tent without listening.

He sighed and leaned against the table, letting his face fall into his hands.

* * * * *

"He offered what?!" Leagwin said in disbelief.

He looked over at Vol who had just walked into the tent. The chiefs were standing in a chaotic group rather than seated.

"What was the catch?"

"Why did no one put an arrow through his-..."

"Chieftains! Please," Vol interrupted loudly, "Let's sit and go over what was said, and decide where we go from here."

To his relief, they listened. Volren described the conversation and laid out the important points.

"I know that our independence was Groldur's original goal, but I believe he himself would admit we are beyond that now. Even IF I could trust Delvor, which I am now sure that I can't."

"Perhaps we should ask for some time to discuss it," Leagwin said.

"It's too late, Volren rejected it and the King is likely too furious to offer again," Karndel replied.

"We can never trust our safety with Delvor still on the throne," Volren argued. "His stipulation against trade would ruin our commerce. Plus, as our army currently stands, I command more soldiers from other regions than I do Kelviks at this point. If we abandon them and run back to Kelvia, they will never let us forget our cowardice, and we will never know peace."

"You are the Arch-Chieftain of the KELVIK people, first and foremost, do not forget that Volren," Crolsef said in a deep cautionary voice.

"I do not forget. Though at this point, I am leader of any people who choose to follow me. Would you want an Arch-Chieftain who would break bonds and pacts so easily?"

Crolsef crossed his arms and relaxed back in his chair.

"We are close!" Volren continued. "We have come further than any of us dreamed when we first started, and we stand at the precipice of victory! The King tells lies out of desperation. The forces inside the walls are nearly spent. His food and supplies are already dwindling."

"What of this alleged army?" Rufole asked.

"Almost certainly a lie as well, or at least a stretch of truth. We've heard and seen nothing of the sort, and even if they are starting to gather forces it would take weeks to organize and arrive. We can afford to send scout riders farther beyond the city in that direction though. Perhaps a messenger pigeon or a rider to Dosmer as well, they're the closest bordering region and would be the most likely to know."

"And the Condurans? Can we trust them?"

"It doesn't make sense that they would suddenly turn on us, after the number of men and resources they've already given. Their support came cautiously and gradually, and I feel like I can trust it more because of that. Still, perhaps we can be careful and send out a small welcoming party to intercept them before they arrive in three days, and casually keep a few more armoured forces near the rear."

Karndel and a few others nodded in approval.

"What do we do in the meantime?" Leagwin asked.

Volren gave a guarded smile, seeing that they were on board, "Rest. Recuperate. Practice battle plans and drills with our units mixed, so they can get more comfortable with each other. We'll go over tactics, keep studying the city and the surrounding walls. Maybe we can find a way to get in without brute force."

"How long are we willing to wait? Why not break down their gate and barge in if what you say is true?" Rufole asked.

Volren looked uncomfortably at the other nods of approval.

"Even if we could...." He sat and thought for a moment and then asked them, "What do you envision of me, after this is over? To go back to Kelvia with you and simply rule there, as Arch-Chieftain? Or for me to take the throne and be King?"

"To be KING!" Karndel shouted with a wide smile.

The others gave boisterous agreements.

"The first Kelvik King in the realm's history! Of course that great honour is what we wish for you Volren," Crolsef added confidently.

"That means much," Volren said proudly. "But, it means our goal must be to liberate this city from Delvor. Not to destroy it. Not to slaughter it."

"We must be prepared to, if it is necessary. For the realm!" Leagwin argued.

"Yes, IF it must be. Though we would be better served by a realm who's capital was intact and functional, with its people as grateful allies, rather than one that is destroyed and stained with blood and tears, with its people scattered and vengeful."

They were silent until Karndel spoke up. "He is right. As unexciting as it is, it's this type of sobering foresight that we elected you for Vol."

Volren gave an appreciative nod. "We can at least wait a few days. Once Condura joins us and we can be sure of their allegiance, and once the riders and messengers come back with no word of any approaching army. Once the King's lies are plain for all to see. If after that he will still not back down, then we will attack."

They nodded and spoke brief words of agreement.

"Any further matters to discuss then?" Volren asked.

They were silent for a moment, then he nodded and they all stood up and started to slowly file out.

"You have done us proud Volren, I am pleased with your strength and wisdom so far," Crolsef said with a hand on his shoulder. "But stay cautious."

Volren nodded with a tight smile, and left with a new-found determination.

* * * * *

"And then!... Vol asks him if he's gonna bless his balls with his eminent foot! PTHahaa!" Karndel sputtered mead on to the table across from Vol as he laughed and the others seated around did the same, while Vol made a cringing smile.

Vol still preferred to sit among his men in the long line of supper tables, simply on principle, but he was starting to see the appeal of a private one.

"Seeing the rage on that fucker's red face, I tell you... Threatened to rape Balia, as if he even could. Vol I don't know how you didn't put a sword down that cowards vile mouth!" Leagwin chimed in.

"He'll get his justice soon enough," Vol said calmly sipping his mead.

"Patience of the fuckin' Gods in this man I swear," Karndel said, gesturing at Vol. "That, my man is the makings of a king wouldn't you agree?" He slapped a hand on Clef's shoulder next to him, making him flinch.

"I must say, I am starting to agree," Clef said, raising his mug with a friendly smile to Vol.

"Can't wait to watch you ravish that tender-looking queen of his, after he falls. Suitable justice for his words I think!"

Vol tried not to look too uneasy, "They'll be given the conquered's choice like we agreed, and relinquishing the palace is a given."

Rufole spoke up, "Well no, the palace is a given, like you say, so the choice is whether they get to take their goods with them into exile. Assuming he survives. I have a feeling the queen wouldn't want to be leaving the city empty handed, and wouldn't mind a ravishing to keep her pretty things," he said with a wink.

The other chieftains and even Clef laughed. Vol gave a tight smile, but was frowning inside at Rufole's unexpected words, trying to decide how serious or sensible they were. He noticed Balia, standing up a few tables away, hoping she wasn't listening, but the sour glance she spared in their direction sunk his spirits.

"I'm promised to Balia now, my ravishing days are over," Vol said as casually as he could.

"Promised not given," Karndel said. "Tradition gets murky there, and I'm sure she'd understand an exception for a conquest as grand as this! ...as grand as her! By the Gods if you boys had seen her..."

Vol sipped his mead and shook his head. "There's warrior-maidens all around you Karndel, you'll have an arrow pierced through your scrote if you don't watch your words."

Karndel laughed and clinked his mug with Vol's.

Clef asked, "I'm still intrigued at this 'conquered's choice'. I had heard of it before, from the regions in your part of the realm, but I've never understood why."

Karndel slapped him on the shoulder again, "Because you, my Alanari friend, despite your towers and walls and fancy blue dresses, are not as civilized as you might think. You and many others have much to learn of HONOUR, from us Kelviks."

Vol helped him out. "Long generations ago the tribes 'raped and pillaged' like anywhere else at the time, but there was so much of it going on, back and forth, in all directions, it basically got out of hand. So, they changed the 'and' to an 'or', trying to keep things less chaotic, and gave the choice of either ravishing or relinquishing to the one who had been conquered."

"But why wouldn't the conqueror just do both when they have the power to?" Clef asked.

"Because, what if it's YOU in a few years down the road?" Leagwin said. "Wouldn't you rather the choice?"

Vol continued, "Some still get greedy and make the choice themselves, or take both, but it's met with harsh punishment and dishonour if it's found out."

Clef raised his eyebrows, "You Kelviks continue to surprise me. You're a far cry from the barbarians they told us about in stories growing up."

"WHAT did you call us?" Rufole said, leaning forward threateningly.

Clef laughed nervously and raised his hands, "Not my words, I swear."

Karndel laughed and slapped his shoulder again, "Relax man, he jokes. Don't worry, you're growin' on us too."

Leagwin leaned in, "We have a city nearly as grand as yours, we simply choose to build out, not up, and prefer warm Kelvik cedar to your cold stone. And our boats! Your river-craft can't nearly compare to the fine work of..."

Vol smiled and stood up to leave Leagwin to his lecture, sipping the last of his mead and beginning to step away. He was immediately taken off-guard by a hand on his shoulder. One of the Kelvik warriors who knew him well, and had been with his army since the beginning leaned down and whispered in his ear.

"Arch-Chieftain, sorry to bother you, but I was doing my rounds through the tents, and I happened to notice a white bird sitting on your tent-pole."

Volren stared ahead, trying not to look too surprised. Obviously his warriors knew more of his letters than he realized. He nodded to the warrior and thanked him and excused himself from the table.

He found his way back to his tent in the late evening's darkness, and sure enough, saw the familiar dove with the letter-cylinder in its harness.