All Comments on 'The Countesses of Tannensdal'

by StillStunned

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
CanalogaCanaloga7 months ago

Masterfully written. Love the almost formal and aristocratic style

ThatNewGuyThatNewGuy7 months ago

Terrific work. Your story has far fewer views than it deserves. You do a masterful job of adopting a very difficult writing style and maintaining a consistent tone throughout.

<br>

The descriptions are often evocative, ominous, and beautiful: "Mist ventured out from the safety of crevasses and gorges to send probing fingers oozing up the slopes." As soon as I read that third sentence, I knew I was in good hands. (The Hoary Cripple in your story is also a fun nod to Browning's poem.)

<br>

The pacing is great. You introduce the painting that looks exactly like Lira, then the first reflection in the mirror (a wonderful device that you employ really well throughout), then Von Raszen's initial warning, Lira's black eyes, the return of Father Doonan, etc. The intrigue is constantly building.

<br>

"My eyes had not left Von Raszen, nor my point his chest." I loved how you handled both confrontations between Von Raszen and Sir Anthony. The tension is palpable and the action expertly described.

<br>

I also like how you trust the reader. Here's a great example: Lira tells Sir Anthony that it would take a dozen men to lower the portcullis. Later, after she's fed from Father Doonan, we watch her lower the portcullis by herself to protect Sir Anthony. You don't tell us about Lira's supernatural strength; we see it for ourselves through the story. Such a nice touch.

<br>

Speaking of nice touches, I thought the ending was pitch perfect. Lira knows the potential consequences of breaking her self-imposed rule and feeding on Father Doonan to save Sir Anthony. She may now be unable to control herself, which has led to the destruction of others of her kind. You leave us with a bit of hope, but the ultimate fate of Lira and Sir Anthony's relationship is left ambiguous. I think that's the right choice.

<br>

Really well done!

DevinterDevinter6 months ago

So good I read it twice. Enough said!

BobbyLakerBobbyLaker4 months ago

A thoroughly enjoyable read - thank you!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userStillStunned@StillStunned
I love redheads, cats and writing dirty stories. --- FAQ --- Q: Any redheads in particular? A: Yes, my wife. Q: Your avatar shows a cat. Are you...? A: No, I'm not a cat. I'm a fat middle-aged bloke. Q: Who do you write your stories for? A: I write strokers for my wife's en...