The Credit Card Caper Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can understand your concerns, Councilman," I said, "But at least for now there's no need to spend the extra money. And as Captain Charles can tell you, police units are rotated through sectors already, so that they can become familiar with all areas of the Town and County. He'll still be making officer assignments and patrols on a daily basis, which precincts will change only to put borders on where the patrols go."

"And that's also an issue with me." said Lewis, demolishing my points with practiced skill and knowledge. "One reason for these precincts is for officers to get to know the people in their precincts better, to form better relationships and understandings with the people. I don't need to tell you that the black community and the police have long had a strained relationship, at best. While your efforts up to now in mitigating that are understood and well appreciated, Commander, you can't do it alone and we need a better overall effort."

"I agree, but for another reason." said Thomas P. Cook, a local businessman who represented sectors of the Town that would be in Precinct 1. "There are a couple of empty buildings on University Drive, the main north-south road that separates the Town from the University. I'd love to see one of those as the 1st Precinct headquarters, so that people passing through see the Police presence... and the University across the street sees us there, as well." Cook's idea was a lot more 'in your face' than I wanted to be with the school or people driving through. In addition, he'd been one of those who'd been against precincts, but had changed sides, and I knew why. I knew I was losing this.

"Well," I said, still giving it the ol' 'college try', "over time, that might become an option. Let me also say this. Right now, for a town or county of our size, a Police Force of around 250 persons would be the norm. We have just over 200 officers, not counting Auxiliary or civilians. Let's just say the uniformed officer numbers are 180. That's 60 per shift. By dividing into three precincts, that'll divide the Force three more times, so that we have about 20 officers per precinct per shift. That's not a lot, and while we'll make contingencies to bring officers anywhere needed in cases of emergency, I just want everyone to understand the numbers. Having officers at the Headquarters would strongly help the need for versatility and flexibility."

No one said anything. I knew this one was lost, 'fer sure'.

"So, Commander," said Malinda Adams, who had so far remained surprisingly quiet, breaking the silence in the room. "How are you going to assign your Detectives and the Personnel & Records people?"

Hoo boy, here it goes, I said as I began: "First, Ms. Adams, the Personnel and Records people are going to remain right where they are. Some of the finance and payroll people are already in City Hall, which is near Headquarters, and moving any of our people around causes problems. I definitely do not need the problem of my officers not getting paid, or their paperwork messed up and costing them a medal or a promotion." I heard loud murmurs of agreement from the Chief and Captain Charles, trying to give support such as they could, and John Colby and Dagmar Schoen also nodded in vigorous agreement.

"Second, Ms. Adams, and I'll just be very up front about this: my Detectives stay at Headquarters." I said, looking her straight in the eye. "They need to be able to work together as a team, we are not a large enough County to warrant splitting them up like the City does, and I need to be able to deploy any of them to any location. Vice Detectives can't interdict drug operations when the criminals are crossing precinct lines if they (my detectives) are split up. And Major Crimes often finds themselves all over the place while investigating cases. This is one area I will draw the line on, Ms. Adams." I was implying that I'd resign if the Council tried to fuck with me on this, but not actually have to make the threat out loud.

"The Commander is right." growled Chief Griswold, giving me strong support. "It is absolutely imperative to our Department that our Detectives be centrally located and centrally controlled by the Commander. And it keeps the SBI out, also. You might force me out of retirement if the SBI starts trying to move in." That was a direct threat, I realized. Maybe we'd win this one, after all.

"Okay, everyone," said the Mayor, quelling the murmuring that was beginning to swell up,"this is something we can consider later. The Commander is simply giving his presentation for now. Please continue, Don."

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor." I said. "This really is pretty much it, except for the discussion of Precinct Captains. The Public Safety Structure Ordinance, recently re-done by yourselves, calls for a rank of 'Precinct Captain' between full Captains and Lieutenants. Precinct Captains get to steal the Fire Department's gold Captain bars, as opposed to the Police's full Captains' silver bars. Precinct Captains outrank Lieutenants, but full Captains outrank the Precinct Captains.

"The reason this is important is because we have only six Captain slots," I continued, "seven if you count a Chaplain. This makes full Captains too high a level to fill the Precinct Captain role. My idea is to brevet Lieutenants to the Precinct Captain position, and after serving in the role, they'd either be promoted to full Captains or revert back to Lieutenants. I also have some names for at least one of the positions."

A photograph of Sergeant Damien Thompson appeared on the screen. He was a large, athletic man, 34 years old, black, his head shaved bald. He was an excellent cop and Sergeant, a no-nonsense common-sense guy, a good leader of patrol teams, and he ran Duty Desks to efficient perfection. He was also very loyal to me, especially after I exposed Harold Malone, who had kept Thompson from being promoted to well-deserved, much higher positions.

I gave the Council details of the Sergeant's stellar career, then added "He has the respect of the Black community, he would be an excellent role model for the kids to see. We'd need to promote him to Lieutenant on November 1st to get him started on the Precinct Captain track."

"That'll work." said Reginald B.F. Lewis, very happy with my choice, knowing I was right and why. "Excellent choice, Commander."

"So when do you expect Precincts to start up?" asked Mr. Cook.

"We have our semi-annual promotions next February 1st." I said. "November promotions are not common, and usually fill-ins for gaps left by retirements and whatnot. What I am envisioning is some promotions in November, more promotions on February 1st, then Precincts going into effect the first week of February. We'll definitely need time to get the Mill building ready, not to mention deciding assignments."

"I hope you intend to have a woman fulfill one of these three Precinct Captain positions." Malinda Adams said, her voice almost a whine. "There are simply not enough women being promoted properly within the Police Department, as I have told Chief Griswold numerous times over the years." She was an uber-feminist, but I'd anticipated this. But I didn't like the shot she took at my Chief, so I squared up a bit and responded.

"Ms. Adams, I can hardly believe you would suggest that, when my MCD and Vice Lieutenants are both women, very capable ones at that, and when Lt. Perlman comes off maternity leave, she'll be the MCD leader. In addition, Captain Malone's old position is going to be very capably filled by Lt. Cindy Ross, a Medal of Valor recipient who is one of the very best police officers I've ever had the pleasure of working with, and with abilities far beyond her years... and she's most definitely a woman, just ask her."

That got a laugh out of almost everyone... but not Malinda Adams, who was growing more pissed off by the minute as I continued: "Detective Claire Michaels is on track to become the SWAT leader, as well, we recently promoted Captain Harlow. All this was done under Chief Griswold's leadership. So I think your complaint is not valid, Ms. Adams."

The room was getting uncomfortable and Malinda Adams was stewing, so the Mayor quickly moved to ease the tension. "Perhaps you can give us your other names, Commander." he said. "I believe one of your suggestions actually is a woman, is that not right?"

"Yes sir, Mr. Mayor." I said. "For Precinct 3, we have Lieutenant Susan Weston. She's in Personnel & Records now, but she has experience as a uniformed patrol officer. She'd be a good organizer and leader of people, and she'd be reasonable at interaction with the people of her precinct." Weston was in her late 30s to early 40s, I wasn't exactly sure and I hadn't looked on her records to find out. She had dirty blonde hair, was not particularly pretty but had a very nice body that resembled my sister Elizabeth's lovely hourglass shape. She also could be a very tough bitch at times.

"For 1st Precinct," I said, moving along, "I'm recommending Lieutenant Holsom 'Hal' Briggs." I explained that Briggs had been a good uniformed officer, but had suffered a hip injury that limited him physically. He was in his 40s, his hair already graying. Like Captain Charles he had long refused promotions so that he could remain 'one of the boys' in blue, even sitting behind a cheap oak desk.

I concluded with "Briggs is currently working for the Sheriff's Department, running the Court Bailiffs over there. He's the equivalent of a Lieutenant rank, and it would be a smooth lateral transfer to bring him back to the Police Department and the Precinct Captain role."

There was another reason to promote him, I silently thought: he was a good leader of people, but was pretty laid back. I did not say out loud that Reginald B.F. Lewis was right, that the 1st Precinct in the Police Headquarters would be fairly well subjugated to overall command, and Briggs would be a perfect 'figurehead' role.

"In conclusion, there will obviously be some structural changes, and I'd like you to allocate a couple of extra dollars for this." I explained what I wanted as I showed them the photos, sketches and diagrams. I could not tell from their faces if they would approve this little bit of candy for me.

I concluded my presentation, but John Colby asked me to stay in my place standing at the head of the table. "Folks," he said in his deep baritone but country voice, "I want the Commander to hear this. Some time ago there was a shooting attack upon the Irish Pub, and the Iron Crowbar here actually went forward after the shooters, killing one of them, and undoubtedly saving lives. This Council inexplicably did not act to reward that extremely brave, lifesaving action, and in the here and now I want that oversight corrected. As part of our discussion tonight I am going to be expecting that the Police Star of Gallantry will be awarded to Commander Troy for that action."

This was Colby's way of saying 'buy me off with this reward, and I won't fight you too hard on precincts'. I was somewhat blushing about it, but on November 1st I would indeed be awarded the Star of Gallantry, which was below the Police Medal in importance but still a very high award. And, curiously, it would be the only Star of Gallantry that I would ever be awarded in my career with the Town & County Police Force...

----------

Sitting at the Cop Bar's 'command table' after we'd left the Council meeting, I asked the Chief and Captain Charles how they thought it went.

"Great job, Crowbar." growled Chief Griswold. "I think you're going to get most of what you want."

"I agree." said Charles, who was not at all happy about precincts in the first place. "And thank you for cutting Malinda Adams down to size. My blood was boiling when she attacked the Chief like that."

"Yeah, I was pissed about that, too." I said.

"I appreciate you sticking up for me, too." the Chief said. "I think they all realized that you're not going to take any shit from them after you did that. Oh well, I'll be retired and fishing soon, and I really don't give a fuck what Malinda Adams says."

"I do." I said. "She's a thorn in our sides, and you're retiring and leaving me to deal with her." The Chief just grinned evilly under his mustaches at me, then continued drinking his beer.

"By the way," I said, "I think we're going to lose on the 1st Precinct thing."

"I knew that all along." said the Chief. "Thomas Cook is a decent man and a businessman, but I think you'll find that he part owns those empty buildings that he wants to see used as 1st Precinct headquarters."

"Ah, so that's why he changed sides." I said. "Any improprieties in any of that?"

"Hell yeah." said the Chief. "But don't get any ideas, Crowbar. This is one of those things that the politicians do. They got Cook on their side by offering to buy one of his buildings for the precinct. And I like the idea because a police precinct right in the face of the University will help you tremendously with your intent to impose jurisdiction over the Campus so that Jack Lewis and the SBI can't use it to encroach on our space."

The Chief continued, almost merrily: "I know what you're thinking, too... you'll bring up that ownership connection to scuttle the 1st Precinct idea... but what you'll do is end up making several enemies on the Council, some of whom are friends to you now, and it'll make your job much, much tougher. Colby is going to get you the Star that I put you in for months ago, that the Council didn't want to award because you weren't wounded, even though you were pissed about your hat being blown off your head. And, of course, they pretty much don't want to 'encourage' you to take actions that put you in harm's way."

"You've taken care of that already, Chief." I said. "I remember that Ned raid where Cindy got shot up... I had at least three people knocking me down so I couldn't go out there to help her... now just who was behind that?"

"Damn straight it was me that told them to make damn sure you don't do something that gets you hurt, Commander." the Chief said. "I appreciate your fearlessness, but I want you to solve crimes and keep innocent people from being wrongly accused. You are needed too badly to be putting yourself into the line of fire, and that's just the facts, son." I knew the Chief was right.

"I loved it that you brought up Ross's Medal of Valor, too." said Captain Charles. "Adams almost puked when you hit her with that, not to mention how you supported your people." Charles was big on leaders supporting their people. " And by the way, how is it that this young, good-looking Commander has three beautiful women Lieutenants working for him? Where did we go wrong, Chief?" We all laughed at that.

---------

The next morning, October 20th, the Chief and I met Jack Colby and Dagmar Schoen in the back room of the Country Breakfast Diner. It opened at 5:30am, which was when we arrived, and was already nearly full of hungry people.

Colby and Schoen looked very tired. "We worked it until two a.m." said Colby. "Reginald Lewis loved the Thompson idea so much that he all but forgot about your efforts to limit the scope of precincts."

I replied "He's interested in 2nd Precinct, and controlling the police as they interact with his black constituents. He's not totally wrong about the problems, either, though I didn't like the full scope of his solution. Thompson is a great guy, as well, he should've been promoted years ago. So what's the bad news?"

"1st Precinct." Dagmar said. "I sure don't blame you for trying, but you were lost on that before you even walked into the room. And we got creamed on the rank and brevetting. It's going to be a permanent rank, and since only three are authorized, one for each precinct, vacancies can only be created by retirement or resignation; by promoting the person to full Captain and therefore reassigning him or her; by firing, which takes a full proceeding; or by demotion, which also requires a full proceeding. The Police Union was especially strong on that one." My plan had been sent to the Council 72 hours before the meeting, so they'd known what was coming. Apparently, the Union was consulted ahead of time, as well.

"So what did you guys get?" I asked.

"We got you that Star of Gallantry that you should've had a long time ago." said Colby. "And a couple of other things that I can't mention right now." I figured that Colby had gotten something good for the Chief upon Griswold's retirement, but didn't want to mention it in front of the aforementioned Chief. "We also had to work hard, but your Detectives will remained assigned to Headquarters. By the way, and just between us here, did you know that some of your Detectives actually approached the Council and wanted to be assigned to precincts?"

"I appreciate you telling me, but did they really approach the Council?" I asked, "or were they approached by certain Council members, who then fed you a story?"

"I imagine some of both." said Councilwoman Schoen. "But this is just to let you know."

Part 8 - Follow The (Missing) Money

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redheaded reporter on the morning of October 20th, as the Chief and I got back to Headquarters and the MCD room. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Council has approved Precincts in their meeting last night, which was an 'executive session' as personnel issues were discussed. The second reading and formal approval of the bill will be next Tuesday, followed by ratification by the County Assembly in the next few weeks. Police precincts will go into effect on February 2nd of next year..."

----------

"Mr. Coleman talked with us." Cindy Ross said in my office at 8:00am, drinking her coffee as I was drinking mine. "He said that Alicia Foster set up the trust, and that Karla Warner and Mary Hathaway's names passed through their computer checks with no problems."

"No problems, my ass." I said. "Contact Jack Muscone with the FBI." I said. "let him know of the lax checks done by Guaranty Trust. Maybe the SEC will be interested; then again, maybe not. But in any case, we'll have done our part."

"Wilco." said Cindy. Just then the man himself walked in, with Teresa Croyle in tow.

"My ears are burning, Don." said Muscone. "You shouldn't be taking my name in vain like that."

"I'm glad you're here, Jack." I said. "Now I can call you all those dirty names to your face instead of behind your back." Everyone laughed, and I suggested we go to the Main Conference Room. Once there, Jack began his story.

"We found Spence Foster in a hunting cabin on Lake Amengi-Nunagen." Jack said. "My guys told him they wanted him to come back with them to Town here, but he refused to go, constantly asking if he was under arrest, by what warrant, and was he free to go about his way."

"Very Constitutionalist." I said. "He definitely is one of those, and we knew that already."

"Agent Muscone called me last night, while you were in the Council meeting." said Teresa. "I got Jenna to get us a material witness warrant for Spence Foster, and the Federal judge then issued a Federal warrant to get him back here."

"And my guys arrested him once we got the legal niceties in place." said Muscone. "But he then refused to waive extradition to be brought back across State lines. So that's where we are, stuck in that little hell-hole town near the lake. Once we get the extradition done, we'll bring him down. Probably be early this afternoon, though."

"Now why in the world would the man, who lives here, fight extradition?" I asked.

"Makes him appear guilty." Cindy said. "Yeah, I know, I'm not supposed to assume that, but that's how I see it."

"Like I said a minute ago," I replied, "he's one of those Constitutionalist types, and may be doing this just to force us to go through every hoop. Oh well, we'll find out when he gets here."