The Darkness Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"One last question, my friend, if you could have your humanity back, would you give up this for one last moment? Or would you just remain as you are hiding from the beast within and shunning the last hope of light?"

He contemplated it for a moment. "That is a very loaded question. I have lived much longer as I am now than I ever did as a mortal. There is nothing left that I would wish to experience in this mortal society I find myself. And if by light you mean something intrinsically good, then giving up what I am would in no way guarantee such a thing. So to answer your question, no, I would not. The real issue I think is, are you willing to give up your freedom of movement, and all you can do, to become such as I?"

"What is there left for me out there," she nodded to the window. "Life can never be for one such as I..." She turned away from him. "Could I walk away from the day? I can only say, I have avoided it for many years now. Friends come and go, they bring risks to all of us, you, I, the others. They can never know as I do, and to continue in this manner would only lead to my own undoing." Yada sounded, resolved.

"Tonight I discovered I wanted something I could not have. Something that is forbidden. What's makes' me different from all of them? Nothing. I still feel, crave, and want just as you do."

"Only you can say what is left for you. I don't believe it is nothing though." He walked up behind her. "Love and sympathy, you walked away. That is what separates you from us. In some ways, you are more virtuous than most mortals."

"Virtuous? No, I am trapped by my convictions and duty." She said, looking up to him. "Love has no meaning when your duty kills it."

She leaned her head into his chest and gripped the sides of his shirt. "How can I serve my master if my mind is on a future that can never be? My world has no place for the common restrictions of mortality. I may be more human than you, but I'm nothing virtuous, I'm a killer, trapped in the confines of a society I cannot speak of, and pressed into a world that can never understand why I do as I do. I pray for death, and death never finds me. I seek salvation from a God who has shunned me, and I looked to a darkness that has encompassed me." She sighed.

"It is hard enough to see such things in others, even harder to see it in yourself. And I have seen much worse in others. Even myself while I was still mortal, and now as well. You claim you had no choice, but in truth you did. It is I who had little choice in many things."

He saw she was vulnerable and deep inside he wanted to take her, make her into his own image, but while he knew that was not to be, there were other urges for him to satisfy. Moving quickly, he grabbed her. His lips pressed hard to hers. His hands moved down her sides and lifted her. He pressed her into the wall. Kiss after kiss was met with passion and lust.

He ripped her shirt from her body. His lips moved over each scar along her shoulder. Yada pulled at his shirt. It landed somewhere in the middle of the room. She arched forward and removed the revolver pressing in her back. Alek carried her into the bedroom. They both stripped from their remaining clothing. He tossed her on the bed. And before the second bounce pressed his body to hers. He bit into her neck, intending on drinking from her slowly.

Before Yada could react, she was overcome with sedation. Her head fell to the side exposing more of her neck, submitting to his beast. Her nails clawed at his back, scoring blood droplets under her nails. Her hips rose to meet his. She pulled his mouth from her neck, sucking his tongue, tasting her blood. She wanted more. He grabbed her hips and brought her center to him. His back arch feeling her-- wanting more of her. Their bodies moved as one. He began to lose control. His mouth found her neck again. Biting deep he couldn't control his lust. He pounded harder and faster as he consumed her.

She could do nothing, she couldn't even think. She screamed in ecstasy. Hearing a thudding in her ears, she knew it was her heart slowing. Only then did she react. Her hands found Alek's mouth and with the last of her energy she pulled his face from her neck. She could feel his explosion. He laid his head between her breasts as the intense wave rolled through his body.

"If you were not bound to another, nothing would have stopped the Leato." He didn't care if she was aware enough to hear or understand him. It needed to be said.

She held his body to hers. Panting for air she recognized the word dancing through her mind. Leato. The combination of blood loss and passion prevented her from thinking straight. Her muscles relaxed, unable to withstand the stain and loss of blood.

He held her limp form to his chest. Nuzzling her neck he licked at the wound, calming his beast. He could hear the faint echoing of her heart growing stronger. He licked some of her blood from his lips and kissed her again. Rolling on his side he pulled her body to his. His hand softly caressed her side. He knew he took too much blood from her. But still she stopped him in time. "Was it simply the fact I was not Gabriel that you fought me...or was it something else? Something more primal. A desire to live. A desire to remain as you are, and not be as totally damned as we are." He whispered.

"I would have died in your arms, freely," she brought his hand to her mouth and kissed his knuckle. "Death is but a doorway, and I stepped through it long ago." She closed her eyes and fought the need to sleep. "There is no sense in fighting it. I have needed you for a long time."

"Yes, you would have died. I would have shown you firsthand what it meant to be a Vampire. But, you belong to another." He paused briefly. "No matter what label you choose to give any relationship you see between you and I, such things do not sway me. And would not. That is the difference between us." He cuddled her closer. "But you are right. I have wanted you since the first night we met. I have dreamed of you at my side, in my bed, in my heart."

"It is not your choice to determine where I fit into this world. Had it been, I would now be looking at you through unclouded eyes. Duty to Gabriel is what keeps us separated. If he ever is to know about this..."

"...We would both be dead." He pulled her closer and locked his leg over hers in a possessive manner.

"Wants and desires are no longer mine to give or to give in to. Who is the true monster, you for wanting what could not be, or I for fighting what should have been?" Yada asked.

"Not my choice and I knew that. But still I acted upon my urges." He kissed her shoulder then lips. He held her as the lover she was meant to be. "I could express regret, but it would be false, and beneath me. I could do a great many things, but I will not."

"I have no regrets, or illusions." She confessed.

Alek bit into his wrist and offered her a taste of their blood mixed. It was sweet. She took it and drank slowly, knowing she needed the energy his potent blood offered. With his blood still on her lips she kissed him. She slowed her breathing. She knew the sun was well in the sky.

"Rest. Tomorrow night we will act like this never happened. But if you wish it again, I'll gladly welcome you in my bed."

She snuggled to his chest and drifted into deep slumber.

~~~

January 30, 2015

We have kept the secret. Both of us have stood before Gabriel and he doesn't know. I don't regret what happened, and in many ways it needed to. It freed the two of us. We now work better as a team.

The search for the dagger is still ongoing. It is ever on my forethought.

Alek received word tonight that Terze requested I come see him alone. I protested, but if I am going to get answers I am going to have to play the game by his rules. It is not uncommon for an Elder to request an audience with another Elder; it is uncommon to ask for one with his sahead. I have a bad feeling about this. Alek assures me Gabriel won't allow anything to happen.

December 15, 2008

We are no closer to finding the dagger than we were in the beginning. Our travels have taken us to Russia into Terze's domain. Terze is the Elder of House Bauhdand. Very little is known about Terze and his House, except for that they are all crazy and have links to the Wolfin community. Alek fears my lineage will draw unneeded attention from the Elder. I fear he is right. Terze tried to tell me something, but in his cracked state of mind I couldn't decode his message. 'He who is older than the first wants Justice for his crime.' I wanted to asked Gabriel about it, but he still hasn't fully forgiven me.

Yada watched the falling snow begin to stick to the ground as the afternoon sun started to fade. Russia was far different from SouthWest Georgia. This time of the year snow was never an issue. Although the new blanket of white made the landscape seem innocent of the death that stalked it. She had about an hour before the meeting with the Elder. She was nervous going alone, even if she didn't show it. Over the last month she had found a new confidence through Alek's tutelage.

"Are you ready?" Alek asked, sitting across from her.

"No and yes," her answer was simple. Sipping the last of the coffee from the cup she glanced at the clock. "I'll meet you here later, if anything happens to separate us."

"I will be watching you from afar. He knows the rules better than the rest of his House. Just remember he is as mad as the hare and the hatter and most likely he will try to confuse you with anything he can try."

"Can't you just kill me and go in my place?"

"No. He would know I wasn't you."

"How? You said he was insane."

"Yada as much as this pains me to say this. I'm not a beautiful woman, and I'm sure even in his insanity he would notice I am a man."

"You have a good point there," she laughed. It was the first real laugh since the night of the party. "Are you ready to go?"

"Of course," he motioned to the door. Alek drove the short distance through the city to Terze's private estate. He had bought an old plantation located just outside Moscow. The rural nature of the area allowed him freedoms the city did not.

Yada cringed as she gazed up at the grubby stone exterior of the monastery. "Sometimes I wonder if any of this will make any sense."

Alek slammed the door of the small BMW before even surveying the monstrosity. "One day it might," he offered. "Come on Yada, let's get this over with."

Yada nodded and followed Alek through the thick wooden doors. She noticed an unusual design on the right side of the hallway. For a brief moment she thought she had seen it before in a distant memory. Justice!

"Miss Olsen-Myers, Lord Terze is expecting you. Your escort will remain here and you will accompany me," a woman said from the dark. She approached slowly and lit a candle.

"I'll be back soon Alek," Yada said quietly.

The pair walked through the maze of corridors until finally she stopped in the center of a chapel. "The master will be with you soon." She said before setting the candle on a pew and left Yada alone in the room.

"One more kiss could be the best thing; one more lie could be the worst. And all these thoughts are never resting. I know they're not something I deserve. In my head there is only you now. This all falls on me. In this world there is real and make believe. This seems real to me. I love you but you don't know who I am. So just let me go..." Terze sang as he approached Yada from the right. The head phones covered his ears and the sounds of music seeped free mixing with his perfectly pitched voice. The man was covered in body parts, real body parts. Around his neck was a rosary of ears. His shirt had hands sewn in the pattern of a cross.

"Impressive Lord Terze," Yada bowed from her shoulders, outwardly not making notice of his attire. "I believe that was 'Let Me Go, by Three Doors Down.'"

"Was it? How curious it is that you would know those lyrics and still come here to see me."

"You sent for me Lord Terze, I am here at your request."

"I did send for you didn't I? But that was before the winds changed and your destiny changed as well. Perplexing and taxing this is turning out to be. Memo to self," he licked his finger and mimicked jotting down a note. "Up the wages in Yada's favor." He smiled, although the smile wasn't friendly. "My money is still on you."

"How can I assist you?" Yada wanted to tell him he wasn't making any sense, but none of the Bauhdand's made any sense.

"Yes! You can leave now. You have overstayed your welcome." He snapped his fingers and the woman appeared again.

"Take this thing back to her pet, and make sure they leave this place. They are both no longer welcomed here." Terze walked away.

~~~

"Alek," Yada cracked her knuckles. "That was a waste of time."

"What did he say to you?"

"He didn't say anything. He came in singing a song, told me he was upping the wages in my favor and kicked me out. Oh yes, one more thing. That my destiny had changed."

"What song did he sing you?" Alek was curious. It wasn't like Terez to send for her and kick her out so fast.

"'Let Me Go', by Three Doors Down."

"How did he sound? I mean did he stress any part of it more then another?"

"Well I didn't exactly pay it much attention. He was quoting it to me as the song played."

"Hmm," Alek gave it some thought.

"He is just freaking crazy. There are times I think his mind is shattered more so than before. I'm just ready to go home."

"That's the point Yada, he is crazy. There is a truth in what he told you--Truth in lies and lies in truth. The hard part is decoding it." Alek gave a stern nod.

"So, someone loves me and is the mastermind behind all of this, or Terez just wanted to tell me he has money bet on me to win something."

"You are very perceptive. Now if you and I can figure out who loves you?" Alek laughed. It really was a ridiculous idea.

"That's a short list. No one loves me." Yada laughed as well. "So Terez has money on me. I wonder what the odds are, maybe we can get in on the action." They both laughed this time. "How do you know we can trust what he said? He is crazy. I mean seriously crazy. He was wearing his robe of parts again. The last time he wore it in public was at the council session the night the dagger was stolen."

"Yada, that's another clue."

"Why the hell can't he just come out and say what he means? Why the hell is it always in riddles and why am I the focus of this one?"

"I think it's safe to say it's time we leave Russia. I have a feeling that once we tell Gabriel of this meeting he may be able to help us sort through the clues."

"Agreed," she added, flipping the collar of her overcoat up to cover her ears.

"Yada! Watch out," Alek yelled, pushing her out of the way.

She felt a searing pain along her left arm. As she glanced back to Alek she spotted the thing hovering over his chest. She couldn't think she just reacted. Slipping the glock from her shoulder holster she was able to get off one shot before something hit her from behind.

~~~

"Justice will be mine."

"What?" Gabriel asked. He was sitting in his study reading one of the history books. It was well past noon. He could feel the sun burning the roof several floors above his head. A few tons of concrete and steel blocked the cursed glow of Ra, and he was grateful.Coward. Gabriel did not have the nerve to argue with his thoughts. He was a coward. If he had any sense of duty or conviction, he would have walked into the sunrise a few millenniums ago.

"Justice."

Why did the dreams taunt him? Why was this one word toying with his every move? He glanced at a chess set in the corner of the room. It was still set from the last time he played with Yada. Why did he call her Yada, and not Nothing or Miss Olsen-Myers? She was nothing to him -- a servant. Why did he allow her to be so familiar with him? Why did he worry about the damn chess game he played with her?

"Justice is coming for the innocent."

"Shut up!" he growled to the voice in his head. What the hell do you want? Gabriel's thought lingered. He walked to the chess board. He picked up the black queen sitting on the side of the table. The set was made by a craftsman back in 1200 A.D. outside of Rome. He was a student of the night. He painstakingly made each piece as Gabriel requested without question. Gabriel regretted killing him years later. He had no choice. The man fell victim to the Church and was being tried as a devil worshiper. Gabriel couldn't allow him to suffer an agonizing death. The snapping of his neck was fast and painless.

Replacing the queen he retreated to his private room. He needed a distraction from the memories haunting him. Gabriel wondered if Michael suffered from the dreams. Michael never talked about much that bothered him. He wasn't like Gabriel. He stayed in his haven away from the dredges of daily duties, safely hidden in the deep recesses of his home. Over the last hundred years Gabriel could count on one hand how many times he actually sat face to face with his brother outside of the Elder's meeting. Maybe Michael was thinking as Gabriel had. Perhaps they knew their time was coming to a peaceful end. They were the oldest and the first, and had outlived any ideal from their birth years. The two of them had witnessed the rise and fall of many countries and on several occasions nearly met their ends in the onset of war.

Gabriel laid on his bed, staring at the ceiling. His mind restless against the voice: Against the oblivious hell the darkness offered. Closing his eyes he saw Yada's image hovering over his bed. Again he wondered why she was of great importance to him. He took extra time to train her in his ways--Taught her most of his powers. Preparing her for the end time when she would be alone against the darkness. Why?

He could hear in the hallway the idle movement of his house servants. He could tell Maggie was in the kitchen preparing the evening meal. Todd and Joe were one floor lower, most likely making flight plans to take him to Georgia. The one person he could not sense was Yada. It wasn't like her not to return to the coven house. Not now with the city in a state of unrest.

Gabriel opened the door to the hall. But he was no longer inside his haven. He was standing at the base of a rocky cliff. The sun was hiding behind thick cloud cover. Gabe walked for what seemed forever. A ground mist moved as he stepped forward. He heard chittering sounds from all around. For a moment he thought it to be laughter. "Who's there?"

The ground below his feet rumbled and gave way. Falling through a narrow shaft he landed on a huge boulder. Thorny vines erupted from the rock face, wrapping their tendrils around his hands and feet. The boulder began to rise to the surface. The clouds overhead spiraled out of control. He fought the vines. A sudden burst from between his legs sent a barb hovering over his heart. The cloaked man appeared again. He held the dagger on the tips of his fingers. Lighting rained down, striking the dagger. Moving within a foot of Gabriel, he held it in his face. "Betrayer of the faith." He accused. The barb over his chest hovered like an asp reading to strike. Without warning it dug deep into his chest. The vines on his wrists constricted. "Betrayer!"

Gabriel screamed in withered agony. His back deformed from the pressure and strain of the constrictions. Gabriel couldn't look away from the dagger. It seemed to come alive in the robed figure's hands. "Justice shall be mine." The voice echoed as the clouds above parted. Beams of sunlight crossed Gabriel's face. Flames erupted from his hands. Ear piercing screams vibrated off the boulder.

"Sir...Sir!"