The Deal Pt. 04

Story Info
Fiancee who broke his heart reapears looking for his help.
11.5k words
4.49
25.7k
51
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 12/20/2023
Created 12/12/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Continued from The Deal part 3:

"Thank you for everything." She said softly and grabbing her bag, turned to the door and left.

"Everything." I thought I heard her repeat but it may have been my Imagination.

----------------------------------------------------------

* Chapter 9 *

I had a bath for the first time in years and thought about my next five moves. The one thing that was certain, was that last night's confrontation with Mr Hollis would have ramifications and I'd have to manage the fall-out carefully. They say that the best defence is a good offense, but then again what do they know...?

I pondered until the water was tepid and I topped it up to a steaming warmth. I dozed, woke up, drained some of the water and ran the hot tap again.

Eventually I was up and with a clear plan of action. I dressed in a comfortably worn pair of Levi's, sneakers and golf shirt and headed off to breakfast. After that I went to the office and started preparing the motions I needed to bring to the court on Monday. The first was a restraining order on behalf of Mrs. S Hollis against Mr. R Hollis. Thereafter a second set of motions to obtain full financial data. Third a demand that Mrs. Hollis be re-instated on Mr. Hollis' medical insurance or that he pays for a separate policy and last a request for a court order instructing the Sheriff's office to escort Mrs. Hollis to her previous abode to gather her own, and her, children's belongings and to hopefully get to the old computer. That's four. Move five would be much harder but I'd have to face it eventually.

I was well into the work when my cell phone rang. "Don't tell me you're at the office."

"How was your run Rebecca?"

"You are, aren't you? And my run went well thank you for asking, a personal best for this year, goes to show what a bit of good loving will do for a gal." She giggled extravagantly.

"Anything at all to keep my staff happy!" I chuckled with affection.

"Do NOT tell me you're keeping the rest of the staff happy as well!" She said with mock exasperation.

"I can't discuss employee benefits with other staff members -- you know that." I responded in boss voice. We both laughed for a bit, then she got serious.

"Last night changed almost everything didn't it?" She stated softly. I agreed. "We'll have to talk face to face soon or this could end up bad, right?" She sounded concerned.

"It doesn't have to end up bad between us." I assured her "But it's best if we do have a talk sooner rather than later." She started to say something but obviously thought better of it and finished with a promise to sit down and talk.

By eleven thirty I was on my sixth cup of coffee and starting to feel wired. I had prepared most of what I wanted for Monday and soon I would be at a loose end. The few good friends I had in town were doing things that didn't include me. Now that in itself was not entirely uncommon as I was the only single in a sea of married or committed couples but for some reason on this day, I was feeling a little left out and I had to rationalise away my feelings of aloneness.

My phone rang and I saw that this time it was from Shannon's burner phone.

"Umm... Hi Erik?" Not a good start. "Are you busy?" I'm always busy lady.... Where is this going?

Instead, I said, "I'm at the office working on your divorce case as well as a restraining order against the asshole you married." I sighed. Then she sighed -- what on earth was going on?

"So, the girls were wondering if you would like to come see how well they're riding that tricycle." She sounded strained but hopeful.

"Well, if it's for the girls..." I let it hang

"I, I was hoping..." She picked up speed. "I was hoping you could come over for lunch if you're not too busy." She took in a deep breath and carried on without giving me a chance to respond. "Alex and I are cooking up a storm and it's waaay too much for us and considering that the girls are sad about not seeing their dad and seem to enjoy time with you..."

"Yes"

"Wha, What?"

"Yes."

"Yes, you're coming?" Her voice rose in pitch. - Yes, I would. This woman was having a problem with simple concepts. We agreed that I would go through as soon as I could and that I didn't need to bring anything and so on. So instead, I went shopping.

I picked up a bottle of California Merlot then on second thought also a bottle of white, a Chardonnay. Some soft drinks, both carbonated and still. Then I got a baseball and glove for Alex's boy. I still didn't know his name. For the twins I found an interactive Winnie the Pooh story book. It had a sound card that played sound effects and music and as Winnie was mad about honey, I added a jar of Orange Blossom honey to round off the package. Lastly a bouquet of flowers for Alex and I was off.

I arrived shortly after twelve laden with bags much to Shannon's consternation -- "You didn't need to do this." She whispered. The girls ran at me and gave me a hug. I guess they really were missing a male role model in their lives. I then had to watch them pedal round on the trike with much laughter, shrieking, and eventually arguing until Shannon stepped in making sure they both had equal cycle time.

I met Alex. A shortish woman, attractively plump with pendulous breasts and dyed red hair. I gave her the flower bouquet as a thank you for inviting me into her home. I thought I saw a frown of disappointment on Shannon's face, but then again, tough, or was I seeing what I wanted to see.

Michael called Mick was Alex's son and we shook hands, man to man. I gave him the ball and glove and he looked genuinely pleased as was Alex. Even Shannon was smiling. The girls kissed me thank you and then monopolised and made a fuss over me for most of the time before we were called in for lunch but I also managed to get to play catch with Mick for a while.

The meal was Chicken Jambalaya with French cut green beans on the side. We took out the white wine that was cooling in the refrigerator and shared it sitting at their kitchen table. Mick and the twins chose to eat outside on the small garden table. I was impressed with how protective and helpful young Mick was with the girls.

During lunch Alex dominated the conversation. I learned that her husband Geoff worked on an oil-rig in the Gulf and he was away for three months at a time, with a three week break in-between but the money was good and they were saving to open up a plumbing business as soon as they had saved

enough money. She said three or four more stints should do it because she was tired of living apart from her man.

She sounded sincere and committed and I said it was refreshing to meet a couple, with such clear-cut goals and the drive to achieve them.

I discussed some of the latest legal activities on Shannon's case but as generalities without giving away too much, yet with enough substance for her to understand that I was moving her case forwards. We'll see how Monday goes I concluded.

After lunch Shannon and I played with the girls for a while until Alex took the girls into the family room for an afternoon lie-down leaving Shannon and I in the garden with the remnants of the Chardonnay.

I thanked her for the excellent home cooked meal -- I certainly don't get enough of those and pointed out that I was pleasantly surprised at the invite. She couldn't quite meet my eyes and a suspicion formed.

"Did you talk to Rebecca this morning?" I queried. She nodded mutely. "And she told you I was alone at work?" She nodded again avoiding eye contact. "Was it her idea for you to invite me to lunch?" She was about to deny it then sagged and nodded, yes. - Guilty as charged your honour.

I decided not to be a dick about it and smiled magnanimously. "Thank you again." I said. "It's so rare when I have a home cooked meal these days and I enjoy the girls so much, but I still have much work on your case if I hope to stay ahead of the curve."

"Please say goodbye to Alex, Mick and especially the two terrors." I smiled and it was time to go.

"Erik wait." She called when I was almost at my car. "Thank you for coming, even if I needed a prompt to invite you, I'm glad you came."

"And so am I." I smiled and waved.

Smile and wave, tuck and roll, don't look back -- I reminded myself as I floored the pedal recklessly.

* * *

Much later Rebecca called. "So how did it go?"

"I had a meal."

"What was it?"

"Chicken Jambalaya."

"That's nice, how was it?"

"Very nice, very authentic."

"Ah... nice." Followed by a long silence.

"For God's sake Rebecca -- ASK"

"Soo, how did it go with you and Shannon?" Behind the banter was real concern.

"I don't know what to tell you Reb, Kayla and Kerry were fun, like two small tornados. They make me... well tired, but happy." I searched my feelings, "I can see me getting attached to those two munchkins which would be bad for everyone."

"Boss..." She was about to get brutal. "How can you be so clever and so stupid at the same time?" I tried to formulate an answer but she continued before I could respond. "Last night was something else. It was everything I hoped, dreamt it could be. Tell me you didn't feel it too, I know Shannon did."

"How much talking have you and Shannon done?" I was definitely getting pissed-off. No, pissed-off's for people without self-control, I reminded myself. I was simply, annoyed.

"Some."

There was a long silence while I took time to digest it, then she continued. "You remember I'm in Chicago for the whole week possibly longer on the GECC and TSA merger contract right?" I grunted in the affirmative. A manufacturing company was merging with an internet sales company that offered online sales with marketing support with delivery world-wide. It was our money maker right now and she had the inside track so it was in effect, her baby, with only some minor supervision from my side.

"Erik?" Her voice softened. "Please don't fuck this up." Her words shocked me to silence. "Please Erik..."

I re-played the day in my head and it left me with a sense of discomfort, a sense that I was getting played.

"...For everyone's sake." She switched off and I was left looking at my phone until eventually the screen went black. I stood up took a few breaths and headed for the booze cabinet but once I there I thought no and went to change into my running gear instead, then took off into the quiet streets of a Sunday night.

* * *

I ran and ruminated the weekend. If I was honest, there was an onset of sadness or a reticence, like when you get to the last few pages of a favourite book and you slow down your reading because you don't want it to end.

There was something I could do, through most of my adult life, my super-power if you like. It was a sense of always knowing where things stood, at any time, with one big exception -- Shannon. But excluding her ability to blindside me I always had this sense, especially in a case or during a trial and so regardless of the nine-to-twelve-month time frame 'we' had given Shannon, I could feel that this whole thing was in the end stage. Something was about to break.

This wasn't quite the end, but it was definitely the beginning of the end.

* Chapter 10 *

Monday, we filed for an immediate temporary restraining order and got it. We also filed for a twelve-month restraining order. The hearing for that was in three weeks' time. The court thought there was no rush as the temporary order was now in place.

I managed to get all the other filings in. We got the Sheriff's Office to commit to accompany Shannon to asshole's house on Tuesday.

We also received fifteen cardboard boxes of Financial Discovery paperwork from asshole's legal team. It looked like they were trying to swamp us. Without Rebecca there to pick up my slack, it was straight to the office after court. I ordered a Bento Box of Sushi for supper which I ate at work. It was after eleven by the time I dragged myself home. I would be going for a Vit. B shot in the morning I promised myself and fell into bed.

I started Tuesday at my doctor getting that Vitamin B shot, then worked at my office for most of the day. The Hollis residence entry and collection had been moved to the mid-afternoon. I picked up two take away coffees in place of lunch and drove to Shannon's former address. She was already waiting. The front door had been unlocked by a Puerto Rican maid without much English. She had worked for Shannon for some time so they knew each other. We waited for the Sheriff's department and I reminded Shannon one more time that her primary goal was the old computer if it was still there. She thought she could guess the password. I also gave her my Leatherman and said if she couldn't get past the password to open the back and remove the hard drive. I'd do my best to keep the deputy busy.

When the Sheriff's cruiser arrived it was Deputy Franks whom I knew having represented his sister on a shop-lifting charge, then again for possession and lastly for prostitution. What can I say, the girl was trouble with a substance abuse problem second to none. She was only seventeen and I had made a deal to get her into rehab and then into a half-way house instead of hard time. Deputy Franks was more than happy to stay outside and talk to me while Shannon was inside.

I could hear Shannon from time to time sending the maid on errands to find things, make up boxes and bring them to the entrance. I smiled at the ruse. It took her about two hours before she called it quits and we perused eight boxes full.

We squeezed four of them into her BMW and four into my Merc. I followed her to Alex's house to off-load when three things happened, other than the twin's ambushing me and demanding that I swing them round then walk about stiffly whilst each stood on top of one of my feet and held onto my legs.

So, firstly she gleefully informed me that she got into Ray's computer and logged onto the site I had said. Thereafter my computer technicians, - Hackers actually, - were able to copy the hard drive in its entirety as I discovered later.

The other two things were that there was no space in Alex's small house for eight 4X4 boxes. Against my very better judgement, I agreed to store them in my garage until she could do whatever she intended to do with them.

The third thing was that her parents had flown in to visit the grandkids and to support her. They had arrived that morning and were staying at the fishing lodge -- just outside town. They would be flying out on Saturday afternoon. That didn't suit me at all as I already had plans for Mrs Hollis on Saturday. I just hadn't gotten around to telling her what, yet.

I obviously knew the Ryans, after all I had been engaged to their daughter. I must say that the intervening years had added some extra lines and some sag, but they both still looked good. Mrs Ryan gave me a long hard hug and kissed me on both cheeks. She was nearing seventy and still a real looker, an older GILF in today's parlance.

"Looking good Kathy." I joked. "Let me know if Robert's not looking after you like you deserve and I'll whisk you away."

I'll let you know." She joked back.

Then it was Robert's turn. "Good to see you again Erik. I believe you're looking after our daughter." I looked over at Shannon, she was watching me like a hawk. "I must say how impressed I am with you taking on her case pro-bono."

So, that's what she'd told them.

"Well, we do have a deal sir." As I shook his hand. He was over seventy and still damn strong. Unseen by her dad, Shannon was shooting me daggers out her eyes. I gave her my innocent smile.

After chatting a while, I invited everybody to De La Porta for supper. A family style, family run restaurant. But first Shannon and I shot through to my house to drop off the boxes sitting in our cars.

After making me promise not to say anything about our deal -- Cross my heart and all that -- She looked at me suspiciously even after that.

"Please Erik." She begged." There's no need to break my mom and dad's heart by telling them about what we've been doing."

I wanted to ask what she thought 'we'd been doing' but I realised that would be petty and probably wreck the evening.

She suggested I leave my car at home and she would lift me there and back. I reluctantly agreed. "Gee Erik, what are you scared of, that I'll take advantage of you in my car?"

In the end I went back with Shannon. We put the twins in their safety seats in the back while Robert and Kathy took Alex and Mick in their rental and off we all went.

We were there by six and it turned out to be a fun evening. Mick and the twins were invited behind the counter to make their own pizzas. The adults ordered a variety of pastas. Shannon and I both ordered the Pasta Carbonara because we had both been here before, separately, and it was one of Mario's signature pasta dishes.

Robert and I drank beer. The women had iced teas and the youngsters asked for milk shakes. The topic of conversation was Shannon's divorce and both Robert and Kathy grilled me on the intricacies of the case, timings and outcomes. I told them that I was working towards a good settlement but nothing was certain because of the prenup.

Robert raised an eyebrow and pointed to the welt on my face. "What happened there?" He asked.

"I'll tell you some other time." I gave him a mock cryptical look and we both laughed.

After the meal Shannon stood up and rang her glass with a breadknife.

"I have some good news!" She announced. "Thanks to Erik, I got an interview at Forest Elementary and I found out this afternoon that I got a teaching position." We all clapped with shouts of well done. I raised my glass to a toast of 'new beginnings. Her father clapped me on the back. Mom Kathy reached over and kissed me on the cheek and hugged me. I said it was nothing. Turns out that Shannon would start on the 1st of October.

By the time we finished congratulating Shannon and discussing her new position the twins had climbed all over me and I had to eat some of their pizza to cries of 'try mine uncle Erik' first from Kerry -- the initiator -- then Kayla. I then had to do the Frankenstein monster walk with the girls each standing on a foot and holding my legs. The grand parents thought it cute. Before long the girls ran out of steam and were asleep in Robert's and Kathy's arms.

I paid the bill to some argument from Robert and Alex -- but I insisted that it was my treat. We buckled the sleeping girls without waking them in their seats. Robert and Kathy said they'd like to catch up with me on Friday if I was available as a thank you for all I had done for their daughter. I was already feeling uncomfortable especially when Kathy whispered that she hoped that they'd see much more of me in future.

"What did mom whisper to you?" Asked Shannon while taking me home.

"A boy's got to have some secrets." I gave her my cat who ate the canary look.

"Don't make me get it out of you." She said in teacher voice. My answer was that she should ask her mother.

She pulled into my driveway shortly before nine, cut the engine and both climbed out. The twins were still fast asleep in their seats. We both leaned against the passenger side of her BMW.

"I want to thank you." I put up my hands to say it's nothing but she overrode me. "You have done more for me than I thought possible and now thanks to you I have a job, but I wish I could see what's in your head." She searched my face. What do you want Erik? What?" I was glad of the dark.

"Goodnight Shannon, I'll call you on Friday or sooner depending on what we find on your ex's computer -- if anything."

She ran after me and caught me at my door. She pushed her body against me. "What, no kiss goodnight?"

"We're not dating Shannon."

"Funny cause my parents and Alex all think we are."

"Well, they're wrong."