All Comments on 'The Dentist'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 184 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Convoluted garbage.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Terrific!

A real story about real people with real problems, and a man who cared about his kids enough not to burn the bitch!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
You sleep with a dog, you wake up with fleas

So you marry a psychotic drama queen, and then wonder why you and your kids lives are going down the toilet due to all the psychotic drama??

looking4itlooking4itabout 10 years ago

Wow, that has to be the most depressing story I've ever read here. You definitely did your dead level best to make sure assholes won every battle and circumstance possible while creating the epitome of a weak willed, spineless (the fight being total bullshit), and apathetic protagonist. No reason to go on since there is no redeeming value here to try and salvage.

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
That is about as

depressing a story as I have ever read. I stuck with it to the end hoping something, anything, positive would happen. Instead it just kept getting worse.

Johnny1MJohnny1Mabout 10 years ago
Read Rehnquist's essay on family law.

A divorce just isn't this one sided. The visitation rights are wrong. You could write the same story more realistically and it would be better. It's as if you were writing a story about the army and had a captain outranking a colonel. Your readers would say, "What?".

You may think artistic liscence let's you play fast and loose with facts, but it just causes readers to lose interest.

shangoshangoabout 10 years ago
An Irish Tale...

A "piece O'Shit"!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
garbage

he is a wimp

1*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
What an idiot author....

Likes to suck a cock after the guy has fucked someone in the ass.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 10 years ago
A Little Sad

The best thing about this tale is that the kids are safe and sound. Sometimes that's all that matters.

guyk1963guyk1963about 10 years ago
Terrific tale...

This story was well done, your hero was a true self-sacrificing hero. Sadness happens sometimes, but with patience...one can live a life they can be proud of.

sugnasugnaabout 10 years ago
5 for reality

Real answers to real problems are not very dramatic, not very glorious. The do have the power of truth in them. It is that truth that settles into the bones of a person and stays there. While a lot of what I read on this site takes me on a roller coaster ride, it is also soon forgotten, like a roller coaster ride. This story, I fear? will be stuck in my mind for some time to come. Love is not infatuation, it is an act of caring for others. In a marriage, it is an act that becomes a habit. It can be hard to break and if there are children involved, it can be a full blown addiction.

disturbedhrtdisturbedhrtabout 10 years ago
A well worked

Sad tale that in reality covers the truth of life

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Heart wrenching

This story is thick with the sad reality. Sure, sometimes people get a box of sunshine and more but a lot of people get very little of things to be happy for. What matters the most is that you focus on what you do have and not obsess over what you've lost. I think Chase, and even Eugenie, are strong characters for not giving up after all the misfortune they've had.

From,

A Very Moved 20 Year Old Woman

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
I thought this so called writer was leaving Lit

Guess he came back for a dose of praise from the sycophants who lap up his garbage.

TheUnoriginalistTheUnoriginalistabout 10 years ago
Yeah, ok

A little light on emotion...a little too matter of fact...but it worked for this character. You nailed the irrational poor behaviors of both sides of a divorce. She's almost mindless in her inexplicable and unearned rage, he's sullen and ruining his own case with a lack of will to fight. I can't tell you how many times I saw that play out. The worst thing about law is that it is exact, and best handled by the exact, and yet is applied to solve problems involving people at their most emotionally misguided and manipulative/wounded.

Good story.

BriteaseBriteaseabout 10 years ago
Maybe a bit too realistic?

These things happen, but it's not often anyone here writes stories like this. Yes we have cuckolds galore, but seldom the emotional side that we see here. Could have given it a happier ending, but I for one will remember it a lot longer finishing it as you did. Gave it five by the way. It deserved it.

oshawoshawabout 10 years ago

I thought it was a superb story. Glad to see you're still writing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Too Bleak

I have two observations. The first is that you are a grown up so you will have no trouble ignoring the simpletons. The second is that you have piled it on too thick. Life can be a bitch but it is not this bad.

Jack99Jack99about 10 years ago
Wow

That was gut wrenching. I feel for the guy. More realistic ending than most of the stories on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
She was right....

He really was a loser.

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 10 years ago
why do you write? Don't answer that, I know why........to piss me off.......lol

Your one of those people that can't write a decent guy type for male. The wife was so fucked up, she needs her own story, "Eugenie, the life and times of a self noted Slut".

The thing that gets me, she told him she was a slut. The whole story premise would have worked if he wasn't so much of a pussy. This was so jaded even his divorce lawyer was a loser.

And the statement put at the end, "I always put the kids first". How would being raised but a lying cheating slut and a loser dad, be putting the kids 1st? They would have turn out better being raised in foster care. Wow, they had some great role models, My mom's a slut, my step-dad is abusive and a druggie, and my dad is the biggest loser since Cain killed Able. "OK", "YEAH" the kids come first.

JounarJounarabout 10 years ago

Fully agree with the too bleak comment. Shitting and shitting and then more shitting on the main character without any fight back on his part only works to a point and then it just gets to the point it's impossible to care what happens to him. Johnny1M nailed it in his comment about both divorces.

Wanting the best for your kids doesn't mean you have to lose every ounce of self respect and your backbone. Him taking back a woman who destroyed him so utterly and casually just because her new life turned to crap is just piss poor story telling but then this author always has the same super wimp male character.

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 10 years ago
And Britease, Maybe in the UK it's like that

In the US, we have millions of woman hating, alimony paying, gun carrying assholes. The divorce rate is a little higher than 50%. Fuck keeping the whore, get a good pre-nup, pictures and learn how to blackmail. A picture is worth a 1000 words even in a no-fault divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Ignore everyone

You write well, and I enjoy your work. Not everyone likes everything and for every 1 idiotic comments about what they don't like, there is usually 10 people who really liked the work but don't comment. It's so much easier to complain than to praise.

V

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Main Character too Stupid

1) He insists on a pre-nup but doesn't have a good lawyer review it.

2) Doesn't document the cheating, the abuse, the lack of visitation.

3) Should have given the mother a camera as well as a cell phone.

4) Agrees on a trust fun for kids college without a trustee.

5) Doesn't check on dentist's ex-wifes.

6) Gets lawyers as stupid as he is.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanabout 10 years ago
I agree with the comments

that suggest you piled the woe on too thick, to the point it ended up unbelievable. Given the ages of Chase's children, their evidence would have been heard in proving the dentist's abuse.

If you want a Hallmark ending, have the dentist develop leukaemia, and make Chase the only compatible donor.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
I'd love to see what this could have been

The essential setup was pretty good, but the abuses and woes and all that are simply piled on too deeply, and some key plot developments are glossed over too briefly.

Also, the legal content is unrealistic in the extreme, and toward the end the story is just a series of disconnects.

A better author could have turned this into something.

Not horrible, but not worth the time.

x_witless_xx_witless_xabout 10 years ago
Why not rescue the one you love, despite her fuck ups?

You're keeping that pledge you made in your own soul, once a time.

It's all in the byline beneath the title. Life can be harsh and our maker mocking, it seems. The author wrote a character surviving by flowing along the line of least resistance. If he'd scrapped tooth and nail against the tide of misfortune engulfing him he'd have drowned. At the end of this tale he still just about has his head out of the water, despite carrying ALL the fucking weight. And people here are calling him a wimp...

Depressing story? I think not. 5*

RhomanovRhomanovabout 10 years ago
Troweled

Good plot and not a bad read.

The "woe" was layered on a tad heavy handed - over troweled.

Less would have made this a much better read IMO.

Thx.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Up to your usual standards

a solid one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Depressingly Realistic

Well written, but not a story to leave one feeling good. The hero does the right thing,but looses almost everything of material valve. The villian never faced justice. I must say it follows real life much closer than the stories we often use to escape reality. Nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

what a f-----g miserable read!

patilliepatillieabout 10 years ago
Not one of your better tales

Too dark, dreary and almost like an apolgist for Obamacare, with all the references to medical problems, pre-existing conditions, etc. That really is a small percentage of families that have such tremendous medical issues like this, and it really isnt that fun to read about.

CreeperclawCreeperclawabout 10 years ago
Tragic but Understandable

Considering the amount of stress that she must have experienced at the time it's easy to see how she could have been seduced by that bastard. I will NEVER condone cheating on a spouse, I'm only saying its not hard to see why she strayed. But the way she acted towards her children was very despicable, and because of her naivety and stress she made a fucked up decisions that ruined all of their lives for the foreseeable future.

The husband wants to do whats best for his children, which is very honorable. The kids have a need to be near their mother to help her, which is understandable. The ex-wife did behave like a harpy bitch during her bout of madness but she did her duty for her family during the time they were all depending on her. Is this a good reconciliation? Idk she might bail out again when she gets a better offer. I'm just saying the story was interesting as a whole.

bassraybassrayabout 10 years ago
Almost a 5

As much as he went through, he should have gone the extra step and remarried her. I know the BTB fans will strongly disagree but he needs to heal his children and do what he can to right them. If he can restore his wife somewhat, as a team they could get things turned around. Life and illnesses can derail good people. Starting fresh as a family is their best hope for a good life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
how many times

does the author beg you to understand what a man the main character was but really a sad tale of american society where money rules all.

green117green117about 10 years ago
interesting story

I beg to differ to y'all who think this is unrealistic - many people can't afford a lawyer, and if your opponent does, then all of the manipulations of the law possible will more or less guarantee your misery.

Retribution was dealt to the dentist - I assume you BTB types (bastard in this case) are happy - all the broken bones and botched joints are no fun. The lead did however end up paying for it - or his ex-wife did, in the subsequent divorce. If it made much difference, is something the author would have to decide.

The wife was not a stable person. The wife was never a stable person. However, there was this baby on the way.... and it worked for a while. I did say to a friend that the problem with getting involved with a lunatic (and she was a very cute lunatic) is that you can never, ever, be a lunatic yourself. You are on, 24/7, or it doesn't work. Here, he tried but MRSA laid him low, and then the cracks widened.

An understandable story, if the message was a bit grim perhaps it was necessary.

I'm surprised the dentist married her. but he was a nut case as well.

And those who think that the people this kind of thing happens to don't count... well, let's hope they never run things.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

; are not ,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Sad but true

The read was good, the story very tragic. The one thing that I thought would have made it better was to see the Dentist gets his in some gruesome manner.

starmanfivestarmanfiveabout 10 years ago
Good story

I am glad you are submitting good stories. They are appreciated. Too many stories are cuckcrap. This is a story where people act as you would expect them to. Who realistically would delight in catching his wife cheating? Chase didn't. He was heart-broken. That makes sense. I wish for a hallmark finish also but that would make about as much sense as...well you get my drift. Thank you for your hard work.

KarenEKarenEabout 10 years ago
Lame

I'm sorry, I realize you probably felt you needed to do it for dramatic purposes, but the divorce outcomes, particularly the first are totally unbelievable.

No way would his visitation been so limited, hell he saved his oldest daughter's LIFE!

TXanyTXanyabout 10 years ago
great writing...but incomplete

The writing was fun at times, deep at times and very clear, vivid and realistic in their thoughts and behaviors. However, we all know in a loving wives story, it isn't complete until you either castrate the guy, or kill him (in this case with a "self-inflicted" overdose of the meds he has been taking). So you get kudos for the writing and a Bronx cheer for the ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
I am split in my opinion of this...

Here's what I liked the best: You drive the point home that even if a great revenge is deserved and desired, if you don't have the money....well, it is damn near impossible. In other words, good revenge costs (a lot of) good money.

Here is what made me the most uncomfortable: MY GOD, this was FUCKING DEPRESSING!

Technical stuff: I felt we needed more character development of her; the process of her fall. He has his opinions, later you tell us she confirms his suspicions during some midnight guilt/confessions. But we as readers don't get to experience it, we are merely informed of it. You obviously were going for heavy emotion, and not adversed to relating turmoil in conflict, so I felt a little slighted by THE confrontation scene. Simply put: you could have done more, both in background and dialogue.

Personal stuff: It IS good to see you continuing here as an author, and I guess we didn't have to wait all that long, after all, for you to get back to writing stories JUST for the sake of writing stories, without trying to mount some sort of political agenda.

(a few comments about Obamacare does NOT constitute a political themed rant in my mind...so thanks!)

This still may not be your best work, but I felt it was an important transition piece

for you to accomplish at this time. Thanks again for sharing.

rjordanrjordanabout 10 years ago
Well, that was cheerful...

My wife worked with people exactly like this for years. The stories she told about work matched many of the elements in your story to a T. Getting mental health care was vital, but almost impossible to get. Even with insurance, the care was expensive and completely ineffective.

It wasn't fun to read, but people need to realize this is far too real for way too many families in this country. And it is only going to get worse If we keep electing the rightwing lunatic fringe to office.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Real Life-

Something often missing here. Very well done. The karate expert kicking butt is a little bit of a fantasy but the consequences and everything else are all right on spot. Thanks and please continue.

SKCBaitSKCBaitabout 10 years ago

Unsexy and depressing.

reasonablemanreasonablemanabout 10 years ago
Terrible story and not realistic

Most here think that men always get screwed in divorce but this story is ridiculous. At the time of the divorce the husband had damaged his own health to take save his daughter's life and was a well respected member of the community. He was in his home neighborhood. The wife was the outsider who was cheating on her family. She earned at least as much as him and was shacked up with a rich guy. No way would he have lost custody or had to pay much. He didn't have to pay alimony when she got married. Why was he so poor?

The story sucked from the beginning. There relationship was based on a zip less fuck at a wedding. When she got him to agree to marry her she couldn't even keep her lovers out of his house then flips a switch and announces she loved him! Yikes. The wife is a nut and he should have ran as soon as he got his name on the birth certificate. No way anyone would take the bitch back after that divorce. Every sentence in this story was more disturbing than the last. I gave up and started skimming on the fourth page. This is not real life; at least not for normal people. This story sucked. 1 star.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 10 years ago
not only ten years

Prenups do not last only ten years, at least in most states, unless written to sunset at that time.

In fact prenups are binding after the death of a spouse and can prevent inheritance if there is no will.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 10 years ago
Well written but unattractive tragedy

Comments about too many negatives being dumped on the husband are true. I saw an interview with the main writer for the original Star Trek series, and she said that one of the reasons that show was so successful is that they only allowed one suspension of disbelief per episode. I think in a story, you might get away with one suspension of disbelief in a chapter, but this story has WAY too many suspensions of disbelief to work - as several people commented, you end up just not caring about any of the characters.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
A tragic tale

this was grim, real, and brutal reality. one of the best, but most depressing stories I have read here. I often wonder if any women read these stories, and how it affects them. if it keeps one of them from wandering off into a situation like this it served it's purpose. thanks again, but it was DEPRESSING!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

do a second part to this story please ty

troubleddeeplytroubleddeeplyabout 10 years ago
gritty

Difficult not to empathize with the family and their family tragedies. You made the story very real. Thanks for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
And that sob Vincent lives on

Amazing painful story, so how does there life end. He should have killed the bastard and then his estates would have been divided amongst the remaining family. And a dead Vincent could not use his money to manipulate the system for him self.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Goddmam I was hoping Carvohi the asshole would stop writing forever

But I guess not. The courts in this day and age simply do NOT work that. It is wrong and laughably wrong as many other have already pointed out.

so why this author do it? why does hew ALWAYS..in every story .. have the husband/. man always gets saddled with shit?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
sad tale

sad tale but why didn`t you help dentist od when you found out he liked drugs?

obamacare sucks, you pay for your own INS then you pay with taxes for

someone else to have the bigger Medicaid program and they get better coverage

than you do.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 10 years ago
"You see I am not a wimp" ...Um YES you are

this is a classic case of one of these amazingly super wimp cuck writers who insert 1 Scene of violence by the husband or ex husband to disguise the fact that the husband does absolutely nothing.... says nothing and feels nothing.

Never mind the impossible and laughable court verdicts and unsubstantiated false charges made against the husband which cannot possibly hold it in court...

The worst thing about this awful story... and this is truly a revolting story ...is that throughout the entire story ONLY the wife is allowed have the emotional outbursts and feel overwhelmed and crushed by life's mysterious turns.

They almost lost their first born daughter... Twice to leukemia. Is the husband allowed to FEEL? He almost dies from a horrible bacterial infection trying to save his daughter's life. --- an act which amazingly doesn't seem to come up in the court case for visitation.

The pathetically Weak and stupid husband's deduction that the wife is burned out is probably correct . Maybe she is overwhelmed and terrified about the cancer returning ... and all the penny pinching and cost cutting... The secondhand cars and a lack of vacations and all the discount clothes and furniture.

The problem is that throughout five pages of this awful story is that the husband not once-- NOT ONE TIME ever expresses any emotion in a similar vein.

Isn't he scared of the daughter's cancer returning?Doesn't he wished he had a new car?

Doesn't he regret fucking this cunt that ine time and getting trapped into this marriage?

In a Carvohi story...the answer is ALWAYS no. Only the women are allowed to be affected by life events. Only the wife's cheating lying fucking and deceiving is completely excusable because she is" Burned out".

AWFUL...

Sloburn38Sloburn38about 10 years ago
Well the good part is you are a talented writer

But really dude how can you leave your Chase sitting in a bowl of crap you invented.

I had to go read the Iron Dragon story again just to make myself feel better.

I don't know if there is a Mrs. Carvohi but if there is you should be put on suicide watch, really. It was as dark a story as I have ever read, and nothing of redeeming value just dark unending darkness.

Now take your meds and maybe things will be better tomorrow.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
4*s

Soooo good ,I hated it. Too much reality is getting into these LW stories, lol.

Thanks for letting me comment.

AMerryMan

IrfonIrfonabout 10 years ago

There's much more than a grain of truth in this story - especially talking about the way the Law screws the Man in a Divorce - this is the closest I've read to the HARSH reality of Divorce / Lawyers / and how Money speaks...

Well done Carvohi - but please,no more like this ?

phd70phd70about 10 years ago
Pretty SAD Tale!

Husband had choices which he did not make. He should have sought assistance in ridding the world of the Dentist. The police seemed sympathetic, but he did not make use of that connection. His brother and sister might have helped him start a new life elsewhere. Husband should have changed careers.

Tale is a bit like the old depressing statement: 'Life is shit and then you die'. He just didn't seek better opportunities and pretty much gave up. 3 stars for at least some writing skills and thought.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Depressing story

I would have loved for you to have killed the Dentist in the end - say - in a car accident and for him to have forgotten to cancel a life insurance benefiting Eugenie.

There is enough sad reality in the world. At least give some hope to the poor girls.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanabout 10 years ago
Easily one of the dumbest stories I've ever read

forced to say it, I'd say one of the top 3 dumbest stories.

let me cool down and back up a bit...

1. let's see: Eugenie's mother graduated from Gottingen University; her family came from a very affluent German background.

2. our hero teaches Calculus and ALGEBRA III!

(.... But our heroine, Eugenie, who, in addition to being no more than some PARALEGAL office worker, is fucking 2 big Black Brothers whom our hero IMAGINED to likely have 15 inch dicks, real men whom our hero and his soon-to-be-wife WOULD SET UP extra bedrooms in their house, to accommodate, for their nightly visits.....BUT OUR HEROINE managed to relay to her upper-class, old moneyed German parents our hero merely taught "arithmetic" .... I burst laughing out loud, spitting water all over my laps.)

3. Eugenie showed up some weeks after they had an impromptu fuck and told our hero she NEEDED SOMEONE to marry her and SHE KNEW the CHILD was his, because she forgot to use spermicide, etc. when they fucked. She ALSO TOLD HIM FUCK HAS A BLACK BOYFRIEND and they fuck all the time...

4. And our hero and his soon-to-be-wife just proceeded to talk about how SHE wanted him to do X, Y, and Z for her.... after she threatened to walk out, if he didn't entertaining a serious discussions about her demands of HIM MARRYING HER, to make sure her parents are okay ---- since bringing home some 6'5" Black Kenyan man would DEFINITELY not be a good idea, SHE SAID ---- and, so, of course, our hero who, in reality, HE SAID, taught Calculus and ALGEBRA 3, that's III, went ahead and had that marriage discussions with her, and within a few minutes, the marriage date was set...

I hate to imitate John McEnroe, but, "are you fuckin' serious"?

BTW, I stopped reading upon reading our hero, CONTRARY TO WHAT EUGENIE HAD TOLD HER WELL EDUCATED MOTHER who graduated from one of Germany's top universities... I stopped reading upon reading our hero actually taught Calculus and ALGEBRA 3 (III), so I never got to find out whether the kid belonged to one of her 15l-inch dick Black boyfriends... or was he/she a product of hers and our Scot hero? I mean, NOT that that would matter, of course, since all kids should be loved, whether they are Black or White or Asian or Latino! LOL

But, seriously, THIS HAD TO BE SOME SORT OF A JOKE, A SATIRICAL story.... I am sure I have read SOME good and INTELLIGENT stories from this author....

alex_loveralex_loverabout 10 years ago
good one

A nice kinda realistic middle class story.

kelchakelchaabout 10 years ago
Damn Fine Story

Had to let this one percolate through my brain before scoring and commenting. The lack of justice for dentist bothered me a lot. But hey, that question has been a mystery for thousands of years - why do the wicked prosper.

Mercy and compassion and love really do exist in the world. In this story we see a bit of that. Thank you.

And a big thank you that you did not pander to the poor souls who want to eliminate variety and differing points of view when reacting, in a story, to infidelity. Their stunted spirits can never see what glory shines from your male character in this story.

Thanks again.

bruce22bruce22about 10 years ago
Chase = Job?

This was quite a litany of evil. but the protagonist is always trying to do his best... for his kids. I was surprised though that he wasn't sent to prison for home invasion and assault...... (I guess because the author needed someone to look after the children) Well written and plotted.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 10 years ago
Loved it

Very well done. Not sure where the wimp comments are coming from. This woman didn't run off because of her previous slut lifestyle. That was clearly long gone. This was more the by product of her having dealt with some serious family issues and being seduced by a scumbag. Her character comes across as someone suffering from some mental problems. I think the male lead is wisely being cautious. Perhaps, the thing missing is a lengthy speach on her part explaining her actions and expressing regret. You did include that element, but it was the husband recounting what she had shared with him. Doing it that way divorced it from any emotional impact. The reader never got to hear how she really felt. Five stars.

jasonnhjasonnhabout 10 years ago
Yuck

This reminds me of the typical Matt Moreau story where the lead guy just keeps getting buried in shit and with each plop there's just "nothing that can be done about it". The wife isn't just cheating, she's bat shit crazy, vindictive, and hates her kids. The other guy is manipulative, evil, rich, connected, and untouchable. The lead guy is poor and never is able to get ahead. In fact, every step of the story drains money from him to make life almost impossible. The courts and cops are all crooked and rigged so bad things, impossible things, happen unchecked. And through it all the lead guy is soooooooo understanding of his amazingly horrible wife/ex-wife. Whatever gristly bone is tossed to him he gratefully accepts. A person this clueless would probably be dead before adulthood because they can't recognize, appreciate, and AVOID bad situations.

The tone the author sets is to grind down the lead guy unrelentingly with absurd and impossible situations that are all accepted as "just the way life goes". I'm not sure what the point is supposed to be but it's a miserable read.

amyyumamyyumabout 10 years ago
I'm wondering

How you could have made this story more depressing? Sorry, can't think of a way.

SalamisSalamisabout 10 years ago
When bad things happen to good people

I’m a huge fan of ohio’s “Visiting Richard Gronier”. In that story ohio explorers how the chronic illness of a child can create tremendous pressures on a marriage; he also describes how knowledge of infidelity can still be volatile years later. It’s a classic story and mirrors some of the elements here.

The central problem here was how Eugenie dealt with both the chronic illness of her child and the collateral illness of her husband. The story is almost an allegory of how bad things happen to good people.

While this couple started off as two people in heat, they matured into two responsible adults. If there is anything I would quibble with the author about it’s the number of story elements that were present. I’m particularly sensitive to that because I have a problem of having too many elements in my own stories.

Some of the facts presented we didn’t need to know about and they provided a distraction from the main story. I was also taken aback when Chase, our husband, discloses his martial arts prowess; this seemed inconsistent for a man who was so laid back and willing to bear many burdens. When that happened I chuckled that at least the husband wasn’t ex-special forces or an army ranger.

One other minor point: if you are going to entitle the story as “The Dentist” then that character should have a much more prominent role, otherwise titling it “Eugenie’s Story” would have been more appropriate.

Even so, I did enjoy this tale of woe.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
If You Really Wanted a Hallmark Ending

Why didn't you just let Chase win the lottery? Along with his daughters they lived happily ever after. Then the old "softie" even took in Eugenie and now it's one big happy family.

Maia went on to a fabulous dance career, Lea became an Olympic Equestrian and Sophia became a doctor for Doctors Without Borders. How's that for a Hallmark ending?

Pretty good read. Considering I was expecting a flash story ending. 3 stars for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Did you purposely make it depressing?

An author of fiction has an implicit contract with the reader, namely to create a pleasant diversion. When people want reality they read non-fiction.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
not a very good ending

room for a short epilog, not a lot of closure, which every good read should have

ResidentWeavilResidentWeavilabout 10 years ago
Absurd elements ruined it for me

I may be wrong but the legal event depicted here were too absurd to believe. The first set, where the husband is screwed over I could accept. Not even that out of line if there was a prenup. I would have expeceted it to include a waver of support but that might have been missed.

It was the second set that was too far out. I mean would the dentist asshole really want all of this to become part of the public record at trial? And how did he manage to cover up robbing the trust funds? NO charges when the police arrive to find the wife beaten and assaulted with ha deadly weapon? What leverage did the ass have to get the kids? I must have missed the adoption. And given the beatings, I think any good lawyer would have a pretty easy time getting a prenup tossed as being made under duress.

Never mind the lawsuit she would file and the True Facts book she will be marketing afterwards to further ruin his life.

And suddenly hubby becomes a Ninja! ARGH!!!! I HATE that.

Its too bad the author went so far out to make this as depressing as possible. Other means could have been used that would not ring so false. I had really liked a lot of the storytelling but these items ruined it for me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
well..

its started good then turned to shit,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Too Depressing

The Dentist destroys a family and walks away free. Lousy ending. One star.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Good start then fizzled

The story had a great start and I was looking forward to the end of the story. By the end, the only characters I felt sorry for were the kids. By the end of the story, I could give a shit as to what happened to any of the characters! Maybe I was looking for a different ending that closer matched the writing at the beginning of the story.

FireFox59FireFox59about 10 years ago
Revenge Is Mine

The Dentist needs to pay and pay big time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Oh, cupid ot the bicuspid...

Is fine, I'm no anti-dentite.

MapleMilkMapleMilkabout 10 years ago
Excellent. Gave it a 5.

Thank you for an excellent story.

wanolmanwanolmanabout 10 years ago
heavy

Although dark and morose, this story quite accurately portrays the financial situation of a few teachers I have known in the town where I live. I make more retired than some of them make at this time. I think the saying is something like one paycheck from the poorhouse. A child's serious illness has also been the cause of more than one divorce, as one spouse ends up blaming the other.

Keep writing, I'll keep reading.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
sad story

vimp story 1*

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago
Re-Reading

Re-read prior to reading the sequel, and I feel the need to re-state my objections to the over-the-top draconian treatment of the hero.

Adultery may not be a factor in a no-fault divorce, but it has to be taken into account to some degree. For instance, she cheats and moves in with the lover, so why should she get the house? She has a good job and quits - why should her "unemployment" increase her alimony? I don't care how good the lawyers are, unless the judge is bribed he is going to look at what she WAS earning, and could still be earning in determining alimony. And the pre-nup regarding visitation is going to get less weight against the decade plus of caring parenting, including donating life-saving marrow.

And the "break-in"? His daughter LET him in to stop the beating of her mother! The dentist's phony-baloney charges might have carried some weight in the custody battle, but wouldn't have excused his outrageous abuse.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 10 years ago
Second Read

Read it again myself. My original comment spoke about the kids. Here I want to talk about the estranged couple. He was a simple guy who didn't want a relationship. She was a party girl who accidentally became pregnant. Life didn't exactly work out right and they split. Then everyone involved got fucked. We know the husband's tale now to read the wife's story.

TonyKiwiTonyKiwialmost 10 years ago
let down

I liked most of the story but the legal BS let it down. There is no way a wife abuse charge can be withdrawn once made. Even if there is a settlement out of court between the parties the state will still prosecute, the evidence was overwhelming.

SplitAcesSplitAcesalmost 10 years ago
The Devil made me do it?

I love your work, but I really question the way Eugenie's actions were forgiven. I've fucked up enough in my life to know it has always been my fault. No amount of coercion changes the fact that it is my decision as to how I act. In fact, I believe it harmful to even portray that somehow we might not be responsible for our actions; as the choices we make in this life determine where we want to spend eternity. So sure, forgive Eugenie as she makes better choices and tries to be a better person; but don't make excuses to promulgate the lie that we can't control our behavior and others just have accept us as we are.

green1943green1943almost 10 years ago
too dark

not one of your best

SensateSensatealmost 10 years ago
Super-human

I think Chase comes across as more than any human can be, but there are men out there like him, I'm sure. The children should always come first. Good and engrossing story. 5 stars, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
1 star

I didn't like any of the characters. Had no sympathy for the wife what so ever.

potsherdpotsherdalmost 10 years ago
I thought...

that it is one of Carvohi's best. It makes me feel so grateful that I have never been tried to breaking point and beyond. I feel sympathy for both of them.

xtchrxtchrover 9 years ago
Another Bunch of Reasons!

First I have to say this author is one fine writer. I enjoy his or her writing style. Now comes the 'but'. He seems to find ways for the women to cheat and get away with it. This woman had absolutely no redeeming qualities. She had some hard times, she wanted a better more exciting life, so she completely destroys the husband. Haven't we all had some hard times? Don't we all want a more exciting and fun life at times? But how many destroy their mate and family to go after it? I'm glad he helped her and got the children, but he should never, ever take her back after what she did to him. He should take the children and get as far away from her as possible. The children should be old enough to understand that it was she who destroyed their happy home.

Also the dentist needs some more serious retribution. I will continue reading a few more of your stories because I like your writing. Thank you for writing such thought provoking stories.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 9 years ago
I do like the way you work towards your endings -

The idea that you own your children and their welfare until you die is a simple constant in my mind as well - what you need to do for them is what you do - or try your best to.

That is the centerpiece here - he did not fall out love - neither did she really - she just fell back on old bad habits he accepted once and lost sight of who and what she was - but even she held on to her kids welfare.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Fine author

Your style shows a redeeming quality in individuals. The husband stood by his family(even his ex-wife) in their darkest hour, and forgave the ex-wife after the breakdown she had. There is a nobility in that. Keep writing about the human condition - you're good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Depressing

That was one depressing piece of shit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
What court of law did this guy go to

Was the judge bought, what a shit life and ending for this guy. The guy did not plot well . The dentist should have died before a divorce . Then there would be justice.

ErotFanErotFanover 9 years ago
Downer

I kept waiting for the positive side. What was there was too thin. Sorry.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
kill yourself

For writing this wimp ass cuckold garbage.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
You know if all the people who dear annony told to kil themselves becasue he/she/ity didn't like their

stories, there would be no writers on Lit. So how about saving us asshole and kill yourself dumb ass annony! Gave it a 5

KarenEKarenEabout 9 years ago
Thoughts

So many of these stories have the wives working at jobs that “require” going to Happy Hours that always seem to stir up trouble!

You’re re-using (or was it the other story that got it from this one?) the leukemia, donor dad gets seriously ill from the second treatment plot-line.

If her mother goes to the court and says that the kids miss their father, and the kids presumably would say the same, there is no way she could keep the kids from them.

Why does he pay alimony when she earns more? Her conveniently quitting wouldn’t stand up in any court.

jimh67jimh67almost 9 years ago
Where were the unicorn judges?

I honestly don't understand why authors in this section think they're allowed to invent total fantasies about the law and the judicial system after people have pleaded with them for years not to do that. This is one of the worst I've seen. It would have been equally accurate to say that the doctors cured the daughter of cancer by shoving a copper rod up her ass but unfortunately just before she was to be released the rod attracted lightening and she was fried,in her hospital bed.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous