The Devil in Her Eyes Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Been watching you, man. Gotta say, props for the whole 'bagging the Devil' thing."

"Legendary," Chris whispered.

Rob set me back on my feet, smiling, a million emotions rushing through me until I couldn't hold it in and burst out laughing...

"It's...fuck... it's good to see you guys...."

Rob nodded, "We asked the big man if there was any way for a little reunion, 'all in good time,' he says."

"Sounds about right," I fired back with a glare that I didn't really mean at the Deity next to me.

"Zack?"

My head snapped around so fast I worried about my neck...

"Jamie?..."

And there she was, all sandy blonde hair and beautiful green eyes, looking all manner of beatific in blaze white robes....wings fanning out behind her...

I was floored, "You...you're an ANGEL?!"

She nodded, smiling brilliantly.

God finally piped up, having watched the whole exchange with a small smile.

"She was your guardian, Zack. To watch over you in that place, to ensure that you had the strength to save the rest. A pure soul that was inducted into my host once she arrived."

Jamie smiled again, "Who'd have thought it, huh? You've done something amazing, Zack; you should be proud."

"We're really proud of you, man." Rob added, "You saved the world, saved existence itself. And listen..." He threw an arm around Steve and Chris...

"Live, huh? Go be with the Devil, hang with your family, take a fucking walk or something. Don't spend your life stuck in the past. You made it out of there...now act like it."

I nodded, tears threatening to fall...

"I will."

Jamie broke first, bounding forward and wrapping her arms around me.

"You made my last days beautiful, and I'm so happy that I finally got the chance to tell you that."

I returned the hug, laying my head on her shoulder.

"I tried."

"You succeeded." She whispered.

I felt arms around me as my first real friends crowded close...

"Time to go," Rob whispered.

One by one, they walked off, with a nod here and a smile there, until it was just God and me, alone...I stared at their retreating backs with tears in my eyes.

"Thank you," I whispered.

God threw an arm around my shoulders, and I felt the warmth of creation washing over me.

"Does this mean you and I can finally pretend we're on good terms?"

I nodded, "I think so; I get all of it... it's still fucked, but I get it."

A sigh, "No one said we had to like it."

"Just have to do it," I finished.

"Speaking of, I think it's time to get you back where you belong. Ready?"

I spared Heaven one final glance... beautiful golden light bathed everything, and a soft breeze played across my face...

"As I'll ever be...and hey... maybe fire the decorator...this place is gaudy as fuck."

I heard the booming laughter of the Almighty and watched him raise a hand out of the corner of my eye.

"Goodbye... for now... Zack..."

Snap.

*********************************************

The first gasp of air like breaking the surface of the water, near drowning, vision fading, granted sweet life at the last moment.

I would've come flying off the ground if a weight wasn't holding me firm.

Lucy.

She was sobbing, draped across my chest; Ori paced over her shoulder, and Syb watched us with an unreadable expression. Ari stood behind her, tears streaming down her face. A face that slowly morphed from a look of the most abject heartbreak into cautious joy.

"Lucy..." I rasped.

She jumped like someone had shocked her, pulling back deep red pools that I would gladly lose myself in over and over again looked back at me. And I did, staring into her eyes, leaning forward, and pressing my forehead into hers.

Ari burst into tears; Ori snatched Syb' off her feet and held her tight, his eyes glistening.

I don't know how long we stayed like that; crackling gunfire and explosions down below faded into nothing as the bad guys were finally, mercifully, overrun. I finally broke the silence, never taking my eyes off hers, as if I could...

"What do ya say we never...ever...do that again?"

A choked sob answered me as her fingers crawled up the side of my face, igniting my soul into a raging inferno.

"My love..." She whispered, her eyes searching mine frantically like she was afraid I'd vanish if she blinked.... "I...I..."

I kissed her easily, like breathing, cutting off whatever she was going to say. Her lips tasted so sweet, sweeter than anything in my wildest dreams.

My heart started beating again, wild in my chest...And nothing more needed to be said.

*********************************************

A/N: Epilogue up next. Thank you to everyone that stuck with me along this journey.

12