All Comments on 'The Devil's Bargain Ch. 09'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This series is a lot more ... human than I anticipated. Not just sex, but relationships, too. It's been a wonderful read thus far.

Comentarista82Comentarista82over 1 year ago

NO WAY in hell he'll ever match the relationship he has with Lisa: it's beautiful, balanced, considerate, loving and all the right things a relationship should be. If it doesn't wreck him, it will come damn close: how else will he be able to look at all the renovations in his mom's house and NOT think of Lisa? The one super-good thing that came of this is that he FINALLY realized how much Connie and her mom pissed on him over the years, and he got "wise" to it by leaving and showing that he's NOT her lapdog. The biggest irony? It was Lisa who gave him the strength to realize this. As you said it well: "she planted the seed, watered it and let grow." She introduced him to so many new things (book readings) and re-introduced him to reading (old pleasure) that he'd forgotten about because of Connie monopolizing all his time. You "flipped the script" on that, since it is usually the FEMALE that becomes the "pleaser" rather than the male in the marriage (although this situation does happen, just not as frequently). The major irony is (and you write Dan to realize this) Lisa FLIPS the script back to what it should have been--which was as much an equal sharing--along with BOTH of them learning about each other, supporting each other and both of them learning to explore things together. You just can't improve on that, because even Dr. Jordan Peterson would say "don't let her go!!"

He needs to return to read that book about Frau Monde, because NOW the "14" comes into play: although Tansa said she didn't "want his soul," we have a metatextual reference to it happening. We also have what another poster mentioned that "something is afoot," given Lisa should not have remembered the phrases he used on her. I'll have to re-read that contract, but I'm sure that poster is right about that. I'm suspecting that "Tansa" just employed "misdirection" to sucker Dan, and now it's feeling like he'll have to have ONE HELL of a performance or epiphany to rescue himself from this "deal"--not unlike in "Crossroads."

This story cast a spell on us and totally enthralls, captivates and dazzles for all its complexity and thoughtfulness. Anyone rating this less than 5 is a complete and total moron. I frankly cannot think of ONE story I've enjoyed more than this one--and I mean I put this up with the so-called "best" authors on this site--because this tale easily matches any of theirs. You don't play second fiddle to anyone Mister! You've found a groove and ride the wave for as long as it will carry you! 5

BigbottomwatcherBigbottomwatcherover 1 year ago

Msn your stuff still gets me. Good stuff.

Comentarista82Comentarista82over 1 year ago

I did re-read ch 2 and every woman is NOT supposed to remember the phrases. Another poster mentioned that Angel and Lisa shared a lot of qualities and they indeed did (personality/practicality/calmness/loved Freya/sweet). Something is different about Lisa, although Tansa made it clear he COULD try to succeed by himself during the "arrangement" too. It's going to be interesting to see where ch 10 goes, because I really only see him moping around for quite a while after Lisa...and I don't really see him finding anyone else like her, especially using the "reading" as evidence, since it indicated "withdrawal," and that's all I can see it leading him for quite a bit. I don't see Monica returning, as that's not in the "arrangement," as he already invoked the no-broken-heart clause on her. I'm thinking somehow Monica is just misdirection and Dan's written off Holly (as he should).

By the way: just thought of what I thought was an appropriate song for this installment, which was "Olympic" by Paul Gilbert. Really seemed to frame Dan's current emotional state.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The sex is weak.

The story is decent and well done though.

MediocreGingerMediocreGingerover 1 year ago

I agree with anonymous. Definitely love the humanity aspect of the story. But now I'm sad. I had hoped that Lisa would be the one he settled down with somehow. Maybe Tansa has a heart and let's him choose one of his chosen to settle with. Or maybe Tansa approaches Lisa and she uses her contract for him. Unrealistic but so far I've liked her the best.

pk2curiouspk2curiousover 1 year ago

Very rare . The insight and maturity of that young gal . A treasure for sure .

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

More? Please.

anubeloreanubeloreover 1 year ago

And if that broken heart clause worked on Lisa, I'll eat my damn hat.

Aussie1951Aussie1951over 1 year ago
Well that’s it for me

Now Lisa is gone so am I. I’m not interested in the rest of this story anymore.

OpenWordsOpenWordsover 1 year ago

This one hurt. Good job.

ibuguseribuguser12 months ago

@aussie1951 that's what you said in the last chapter :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES