The Dragon and the Wolf Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Amulet of Talos. One of the Nine Divines. Revered by all mankind."

"I've never heard of any of this," Eskel stated, "But he seems to believe it."

"Of course I do. I've got the scars to prove who I am. Scars only a dragon could leave. I could recite the dragon language, but you wouldn't understand it anyway, so probably just think I'm making it up." I gave it some thought. "If you need proof, I could always show you my Thu'um."

Vesemir offered me his hand, and I was pleased that, despite the pain, nothing appeared to be broken, and he led me towards the open doors that led out onto a balcony. Gesturing for them to remain behind, I gazed out over the surrounding area. It was utterly, breath-takingly beautiful. I couldn't think of many places I'd been that came close. I knew I wasn't in Skyrim, nor was I in Cyrodiil. I'd spent plenty of time travelling both provinces and never heard of where I was.

Glancing back, I nodded at Vesemir. "Okay, I'll do it in a few seconds. Watch yourself as... it's loud."

I gave it five seconds before I took a deep breath. Not that I needed to, I did it simply for theatrics.

FUS... RO... DAH!

I turned around to see some rather stunned faces. "You are definitely not of this world," Vesemir muttered, "You'd best come with me, Ragnar. I think we need to have a very long discussion about your arrival here. Good thing you landed near us. If you'd landed a village of scared peasants, well, I don't think you need too much of an imagination to realise what they'd do with you..."

I couldn't help sigh as I'd already figured out where I was. Or, at least, where I wasn't.

* * * * *

Present day...

"Still with us, Ragnar?" Geralt asked.

"Huh?"

"Thinking of Tomira?"

Yen scoffed at the mention of another female. She knew my reputation. Hell, my reputation would probably be even worse in her eyes if she knew what I'd been up to since I last saw her. "No, thinking of the day I crash landed here."

"That was quite the day. I still think Lambert is convinced it's all an elaborate ruse you're playing. Or you're just completely insane and we've just gone along with it because, well, you have talent with a sword and generally good natured."

"And my Thu'um?"

"I haven't met anyone who could possibly explain that. Call it a birth defect and go along with that."

We'd been riding a few hours by now. We wouldn't make Vizima until after nightfall, Yennefer insisting we don't stop until we were safe behind the city walls. I didn't particularly blame her. Even the roads around White Orchard hadn't been particularly safe outside of where the Nilfgaardians had been patrolling.

I was still barely concentrating on anything when I wasn't the only one to feel the sudden drop in temperature. I might have been a Nord, and capable of withstanding even the bitterest of cold, but I could still tell when the temperature immediately dropped twenty degrees Celsius in five seconds. Geralt glanced back at me and I watched as his eyes widened. Yennefer then did the same thing, her eyes narrowing.

"Ride! Now!" she cried.

I didn't need telling twice as I chanced a glance and muttered a hearty "Fuck!" to myself. How the fuck had these fuckwits managed to find us? In fact, why the fuck had they found us? Already I had far more questions in mind about everything going on and I knew I was going to get next to no answers.

I remained just behind the other two, hearing the heavy hooves of those behind us in their heavy armour, though also heard the cries as the White Hunt seemed to be making short work of some of the soldiers. None of us looked behind, simply kicking our horses to run as fast as possible. Without looking back, I could sense we were slowly but surely getting away from them, but Yen made sure of our escape when we crossed a bridge, and she used a little magic to ensure no-one could follow us. Felt sorry for the few Nilfgaardians who were caught on the other side, but they were a worthy sacrifice to ensure the three of us at least made it to Vizima safely.

As we slowly approached one of the main gates, and the imposing city walls, I was surprised that most of them looked as sturdy as ever. In fact, it appeared like they were untouched. As we rode through the gates, while there was damage, much of it was superficial. Sharing a glance with Geralt, he shrugged his shoulders, perhaps with questions of his own but he'd raise them later.

Nilfgaard was certainly in control though, wasting no time hanging their flags and banners everywhere, soldiers in black patrolling the streets, sentries on the walls, and while one could feel the tension from those being occupied, it didn't feel as if insurrection was about to happen at any moment. Most seemed to be just getting on with their lives as best they can.

Meeting the emperor as we were, Yen led us towards the royal palace. A high fence surrounded it, and there were guards posted every five metres, the gates closed, though opened upon our arrival. I guess they recognised Yen, though I noticed the looks towards Geralt and I as we rode through. Dismounting near the main entrance, more than one steward appeared ready to greet us. Introductions were barely made before we were led inside.

The Royal Palace of Vizima was an impressive building. Any Temerian nobility had long since escaped... except those who thought they could deal with Nilfgaard. I was fairly sure there was more than a few who were willing to do business with the enemy.

Anything regarding the royal house of Vizima had already been removed, and workers were busy tearing up the floor in the main hall. Eventually led to one of the personal chambers, Yen kept walked as the head steward stopped and turned towards Geralt and I. "Before you are presented to the emperor, you will be washed, shaved and dressed. Geralt, you will accompany the young lady to my right. Ragnar, you will accompany the young lady to my left. Your... clothes will be returned once your meetings are concluded."

After another glance and shrug of the shoulders, I followed the rather young, attractive maid towards the room where another three maids were already waiting.

"Cor, haven't seen someone like him around in a while," one of them exclaimed. A long time ago, I'd have blushed at such a comment. Now I just returned a grin as I started to undress, and I didn't miss the fact all four of them quite happily watched me do it. Once I was naked, I watched their eyes drink me in. I figured they would have been used to at least some nudity, but I'd been blessed in a few ways.

Stepping into the hot water, I sat back against the side and felt some of the aches and pains slowly disappear. I was given five or so minutes to relax before I found myself being scrubbed, and they were not shy in making sure I was washed all over my body. I would have had a little fun by dragging one of them into the water with me, but I figured that might get them in trouble.

"Where have you come from?" the head maid did ask.

"Last place I was in was White Orchard."

"To the north? What's it like around there now?"

"Peaceful enough."

"Did you fight? For Temeria?"

"Aye." I turned slightly and showed the scar on my chest, pointing at it. "Took an arrow there. The woman that healed me suggested another couple of millimetres to the left and I'd have been dead instantly. But I know I'm still one of the lucky ones. Lot of good men died fighting for the Three Lilies."

"They'll fly again one day," she whispered.

Another shushed her. "Spies everywhere," she hissed.

"What's the situation like here?" I wondered.

"The commander defending the city negotiated with the Black Ones. Not wanting to see the city destroyed, he negotiated that he would declare it an open city, long as there were no reprisals against the citizens, and that those armed, ready to fight, could at least march out with honour. Thankfully, it was agreed. The Black Ones have been swinging their weight around but, to be honest, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. The emperor himself kept us employed. We've just swapped a king for an emperor."

Satisfied I was clean enough, I stood up and offered a towel to dry off, and the four of them continued to watch me. I certainly returned a grin before the head steward walked in, pleased to see I was at least already out of the bath. "Thank you, ladies. You're dismissed."

"If I'm in need of another bath while I'm here, I'll certainly ask for your services again." There was plenty of giggling, and a couple of rather suggestive comments, as the steward approached me, pleased he did have to crane his neck slightly. "What's your name?" I asked.

"You may call me Mererid. Now, as you are washed and," he leaned forward and sniffed, "Certainly smell better than arriving, you will now be shaved and your hair trimmed."

"I prefer my beard."

"In Nilfgaard, we consider beards hard on the eyes. The emperor does not like them. You will be shaved and made presentable for your meeting."

I sighed as Mererid gestured to the chair. Not wanting to cause an argument, I took a seat as another man prepared to shave my beard. I gave him a glance as he held the cutthroat razor close. "I hope you don't have shaking hands while shaving me," I only half-joked.

Mererid was watching as another man entered. Not wanting to move my head, I at least moved my eyes as he walked in, and I clocked him as a soldier straight away. "Well, has our other guest proven more cooperative than our other one?"

"I don't like being shaved," I muttered before I met his eyes, "Who are you?"

"Morvran Voorhis. Commander of the Alba Division."

"Don't know if I fought any of your men. Were they further to the north?"

He smirked. "No, they had the honour of conquering the capital of our enemy. Many were disappointed when they were allowed to simply march through the gates as victors without needing to bloody their swords."

"Should have sent them north. Plenty of blood was spilled there."

"In time, Dragonborn, in time. The war is paused for the moment." He positioned himself in front of me. "So you were involved in the fighting?"

"Aye."

"Still owe your allegiance to Temeria?"

"If you think I did, I don't think I'd be about to be presented to the emperor. You know as well as I do that I will usually only fight for coin, but... well, I'll keep any personal opinions to myself for now."

"Many would rather see someone like yourself at the end of a rope."

"Would you?"

"To be honest, no. Soldiers, and even mercenaries like yourself, fight and die for their country, an ideal, or simply for those that they love. As long as the enemy lays down their weapons and goes home when the battle is finished, I am prepared to live and let live. Of course, there are others who don't see it that way. Be thankful those with that opinion are not in Temeria."

The man shaving me finished, raising a hand to my cheek to feel smooth skin for the first time in a long time. I immediately hated it, but I could grow a good beard again within a couple of weeks, so it was short term pain at most. As Morvran disappeared out the door, left thinking he just wanted to get a good look at me, I was presented with clothing to wear, surprised at how well it fit. I glanced at Mererid more than once, and I noticed the smirk that appeared.

After dressing was being shown how to bow. Utter nonsense, but in the short time I'd been with him, Mererid had raised a couple of grins. I liked someone with a sharp sense of wit. He knew it too. Far too sharp for me to try and keep up, so I just went along with whatever he wanted. I knew if I didn't, he'd probably get in trouble, and I don't like being responsible for servants and maids getting into trouble.

Once as satisfied as he could be, I was led down a series of halls towards the emperor's study. Black Ones guarded each hall, standing at attention, armour almost sparking in the rather bright light. I thought they were coiled springs, ready to attack in an instant should someone be stupid enough to try and attack.

Walking into the study, there were the obvious lackeys hanging around, and they were definitely all from Nilfgaard. Not a chance any Temerians would have an audience with the man. They split apart as Mererid stepped forward to announce me. Or the emperor.

If you're wondering, I did bow. If I didn't, I had no doubt Mererid would have been punished for my disrespect. Plus, I had no real reason not to otherwise. He was the victor and the ruler of what was now an enormous, ever expanding empire. That alone deserved at least some sort of respect. The surprise was when he dismissed everyone except myself. I mean, I didn't have a weapon, but I could still throttle the man with my bare hands if I really wanted to.

"You are to assist the vatt'ghern," he stated with preamble.

"Come again?"

I did enjoy the glare he returned as I hadn't added 'Your Majesty' but respect is also a two-way street. He stood up and walked around the table so he could stand in front of me. As always, I enjoyed the fact that even an emperor had to look up into my eyes. "You are not of this world, Dragonborn. I know that much. I have no doubt many fear you." I shrugged. "I'm not ordering or even asking for your allegiance. I know you fought for Temeria. But that does not interest me. I am aware of your relationship with... the witcher. I've been told many stories by the sorceress."

"Yennefer?"

"And others." That was cryptic. I wondered who else he'd spoken to... "I know you have spent time travelling with the vatt'ghern, that is why I summoned both of you here." He walked around his desk, resuming his seat. "My daughter has returned. Do not ask stupid questions. The information is solid. You are to assist the vatt'ghern in finding my daughter and returning her to me. I don't care where you must go to find her, but find her you will." He looked up and met my eyes. "There will be coin in it. I know that is what you want."

I had another million and one questions about the fact she was back, when I didn't even know she was gone. I couldn't remember when I'd last seen her. My path rarely crossed with Ciri, and if it did, the reunion was always rather brief. "What did Geralt say?"

"He agreed as I expected. He won't like the fact I've ordered him to do it, but I also know of his relationship with Ciri." He met my eyes again. "You, I'm not so sure. Part of me would rather keep you close, watch you, as I'm aware of your power. But the vatt'ghern cannot do this alone, therefore I have decided you will help him." He waved a dismissive hand. "You are dismissed. Mererid!" The man appeared immediately. I wouldn't have been surprised if was listening through the door. "Take him to the others."

I followed Mererid out of the study, hoping some of the gaps in what I'd just been told would eventually be filled.

12