The Dragon and the Wolf Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But she was also a vessel of hate and, thinking back to my times on the road with Geralt, I could figure out she was the source of the curse. There was no missing the hatred she felt for those who had attacked the tower, but there was also hatred for a single person.

Graham, her former lover.

What sent a slight shiver up and down my spine was what she could tell me about the mage. Kept himself locked up in his laboratory all the time, experimenting on all sorts of things, including something called the Catriona. As she continued to speak, I took a look around and was horrified by the act I found human bodies having been used in experiments. The fact he was also looking into plague research left me wondering just what he'd been trying to do, and I was immediately wondering if Keira was interested in more than just lifting the curse.

When it came to breaking the curse, it was easy enough to figure out. Hate had caused the curse so love would break it. Graham was still alive, according to Annabelle, so all I needed to do was find him, bring him to the tower, then it would hopefully break it.

But through it all, something just didn't sit right with the ghost. She contradicted her story too often. And when she asked me to take her bones to Graham, I refused without hesitation. I'd read enough stories that just bones themselves could unleash all sorts of horrors, and considering they were the bones of a dead girl at the centre of a curse, I just wasn't that stupid, even though I felt pity for the poor girl.

She didn't like that, of course, and that's when she turned into some sort of wraith. "Oh fuck!" I exclaimed. Strangely, she didn't attack me, instead rushing past me to the door. Taking one last look around, I swore again before chasing after the wraith, bounding down the stairs to eventually catch up with it outside.

By Ysmir, it was perhaps one of the most horrific things I'd seen. No ordinary wraith. I'd seen plenty of those on my travels either alone or with Geralt and others. The wraith immediately went on the attack. I didn't have silver, and had no real way of fighting it. No time to check my bag. The only thing I could use was my Thu'um. But I had no idea what would work against a wraith like this.

YOL -- TOOR -- SHUL

Fire usually works, and it certainly worked a charm against the wraith, but before it disappeared, it claimed it could not be killed, at least not through ordinary means. That meant I'd definitely have to lift the curse.

I knew I'd need Geralt, or at least his advice. Taking out the xenovox, I hoped he could hear me. "Geralt? You hear me?"

"Aye, I hear you, Ragnar. What's the problem?" I explained everything I'd discovered so far, and described the wraith I'd just fought as well. "Sounds like a plague maiden, Ragnar, otherwise known as pesta. You said there was a curse?"

"Aye. The ghost, Annabelle, she spoke of love for this Graham, but it's manifested itself into deep hatred. Definitely the source of the curse. She did ask me to take the bones, but I refused. I'm just wondering what I should do next? Get Graham and bring him here?"

"Good decision regarding the bones. Now that you know it's a plague maiden, if you'd done what she asked, she would have escaped and caused god only knows how much destruction. She's definitely the centre of this curse, and from what you've told me, I would see if you can locate this Graham. Is he still alive?"

"Aye. Annabelle said she'd know if he was dead."

"That tells me they are linked by the curse somehow. Keira, are you listening?"

"I am, Geralt."

"Do you know anything about all of this? Do you know who this Graham is?"

"I've heard the name. From what I've learned, man of the peasants who attacked the tower were from the village of Oreton. It's on the northern shore of the lake opposite Fyke Isle, Ragnar. He should still be there."

"Okay, I'll head there and see if I can find him. Keira, I'll break this curse before returning."

"Okay. Good luck, Ragnar."

"Geralt, how goes your progress?"

"I'm near Crow's Perch now. Heard plenty of stories about this baron. I'm not sure how co-operative he is going to be but we'll see how things go."

"Keep me informed."

"Will do. See you later, Ragnar."

Walking back to my boat, I had to row it across the stretch of water. Weather had closed in, the water was choppy, and the journey took far longer than I would have liked. By the time I made it across to what I thought was Oreton, it was dark and I knew I wouldn't be returning to the island until the next morning. Despite the weather, there were still fishermen working to bring in their catch. Asking after Graham, I was pointed down the shore towards an isolated homestead, told he lived there alone, and had little to do with anyone else after what happened.

Knocking on the door a few minutes later, I heard a voice telling me to piss off. That just made me bang louder. "I'm here about Fyke Isle, Graham," I shouted over the howling wind, "Let me in. It's fucking awful out here."

The door opened, revealing the face of a man still in the stages of grief. There were smells that immediately floated out which I ignored as he gestured for me to enter. He was eating dinner, so I took a seat opposite him at the table. He was polite enough to offer me a plate, thanking him as I'd barely eaten all day. "What do you want?" he asked.

"I'm here about Fyke Isle, Graham."

He eyed me suspiciously. "How do you know my name, stranger?"

"As I said, I'm here about Fyke Isle. I've just been there. Spoke to Annabelle."

Shaking his head, he said quietly, "Impossible. Annabelle is dead, stranger. She drank poison. I couldn't save her."

I sighed and explained what I could, leaving out some of the gorier details he simply didn't need to know. When I let him know about the curse that infected the isle, his eyes widened in fear. "Curse?"

"Aye. You know anything about that?"

"I know I cursed everyone when I left because of what they did to Annabelle."

Nodding in understanding, I asked, "Do you still love her?"

He wiped his mouth and stood up, gesturing for me to follow. He led me to a small shrine. There was a simple picture with flowers and the scent of incense burning. "Never forgotten her, stranger."

"Ragnar," I said, offering my hand, which he took and shook.

"I've felt responsible for it every day, Ragnar. I was the luckiest man. The noble's daughter in love with some... simpleton like me. But we talked and talked and had such hopes and dreams. She was willing to give it all up just to be with me. Her, the most beautiful girl in the land, ready to be the wife of some simple fisherman."

"The power of love right there, Graham."

He turned to meet my eyes. "Tell me what I need to do, Ragnar."

"Tomorrow morning, we go to Fyke Isle. Annabelle needs to forgive you to break the curse. Once that is done, the isle will be cleansed."

"I don't have a spare bed so..."

"I can take the floor. I've certainly slept on worse. I have a roof over my head considering the weather outside."

He clearly wasn't going to be much for conversation, so I found a corner I could lie in and simply went to sleep. He woke me the next morning with a soft kick to the boot. Looking at his face, it was obvious he hadn't slept much the night before. In fact, I think he barely slept at all nowadays. He appeared to be exhausted.

Offering me a piece of bread to chew on, we wasted no time departing. It was a grey, overcast day as we stepped onto his boat, letting him take the control. There was enough wind for the sail to billow, but he still used the oars to add additional speed and direction.

We docked close to the tower. The confidence Graham had the night before disappeared as soon as we approached the tower. I couldn't really blame him, so stopped to give him a pep talk before carrying on. Walking through the door, I was immediately set upon by two wraiths. That's when Graham learned I carried a secret of my own as I unleashed the full power of my Thu'um.

"I thought you were a witcher," he murmured.

"No. My friend is. I'm something else entirely."

"Obviously."

Graham felt a great sense of unease as we climbed the tower. Couldn't blame him again considering the last time he'd been here, the lord and his family had been slaughtered, and he'd lost the love of his life. Even I could admit the place was just eerie, but knowing what had happened, and the fact there was a curse very much infecting the tower, it was little wonder the place made my skin crawl.

Walking into the laboratory, the plague maiden was waiting for us again. Since she didn't attack me this time, I got a good look at her. Half her face was missing. An enormous tongue hung out of what remained of her mouth. Her clothing was old and ruined. There was a slight smell of rot and decay. Graham stepped into the room and looked at the plague maiden. If he felt any sense of horror, he kept it well hidden.

"You have not forgotten me. You have returned to me," Annabelle stated.

He glanced at me. "Is that... is that..."

"Don't you recognize me? It's me, Anabelle, the one you abandoned, remember?"

He took a faltering step forward, then took a deep breath, his next couple more confident. "Anabelle, I was sure ye were dead. If I'd known otherwise, I'd a never have left ye! I'd do anything for ye, I would. Ye know that well. Believe me, I beg ye."

"Prove it. Kiss me."

I wasn't stupid. I knew that a simple kiss was going to break the spell, but the consequences could be... Graham glanced back and met my eyes. I think he knew as well. We exchanged a simple nod. He knew the price was going to be worth it.

I was going to look away, but I'll admit curiosity, watching as Graham stepped towards the plague maiden. Lifting a hand to her face, he gently caressed it before leaning forward to kiss her. Just before their mouths met, the plague maiden flashed away to replaced by Annabelle. No wonder he'd fallen in love with her. As the kiss deepened, hugging each other tightly, it was obvious what the outcome would be...

Graham collapsed to the floor, obviously dead. Annabelle lowered herself slowly to the ground and caressed his face in return. "At last," she whispered, before she looked up at me and smiled, her beauty radiating around the room. No wonder he'd loved her.

"Thank you," she said, before she slowly disappeared in what seemed a cloud of black smoke.

I didn't want to leave Graham there. His last act of life had been heroic, gently picking him up and carrying him downstairs. I found plenty of wood to burn, lying his body on the makeshift pyre, covering his body in a little of the oil I had, before using a spell to light it all. I stood back and lowered my head in respect. He no doubt knew the cost once he agreed to come with me. But knowing there was an afterlife, having experienced it personally, I could only smile at the thought they were together once again, and now forever.

Once his body was little more than ash, I had to take a seat, simply to catch my breath. I may have been a brute of a warrior, but even the hardest of hearts could appreciate a love story, but like so many it seemed, it had ended in triumph but also tragedy. Taking out the xenovox, I asked, "Keira?"

"Ragnar? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Fyke Isle is cleansed of its curse."

"You sound strange. Sure you're okay?"

I cleared my throat. "Aye, I'm okay. Just reminded of one or two things. Graham is dead, but I think he knew that would be the price the moment I told him about Annabelle. Brave man. Braver than many I've ever met. But at least it means Annabelle is now also at peace."

"True loves power. Come home, Ragnar. There's nothing else for you there."

"I'll be back there soon."

I took a final moment to look upon the tower, now at peace. Part of me wanted to just burn it all to the ground, but I figured that wasn't my decision. Walking away, I found Keira's boat and rowed that in the direction of where she had originally left it moored, arriving back at her house in the early afternoon. I must have had a look on my face once she saw me, as the first thing she did was hug me. "It was a happy ending, sort of," I muttered.

"Thank you for doing that," she whispered in return.

Mentioning I was hungry, I was sat down and a plate of food placed in front of me within a couple of minutes, Keira sitting across from me as I mentioned some of the things I'd found, particularly the laboratory and the experiments Alexander had been up to. She expressed no surprise, admitting she knew about him and his research, though admitted to being slightly horrified when I mentioned the human test subjects.

"Rest here tonight, Ragnar. We'll focus on what do next in the morning."

What I wanted after all of that was a wash, so the invite to back to the glade was gratefully accepted. Once in the hot water, she sat behind me and I felt soft hands soon all over my body as I was cleaned in all the important parts. Having yourself washed in that sort of manner is always very sensual, and it would perhaps come as no surprise that I ended up sat back with Keira on my lap, cock buried inside her as she rode herself slowly. The look in her eyes was certainly one of appreciation, not just for the sex, but for the favours I'd done for her so far.

She had kept the red hair for the time being as well. I guess she perhaps had one or two more favours to ask before I would finally head off to help Geralt.


12