The Dragon Slayer...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What had she been angry about, or who? He watched her disappear into the trees and shook his head, she was obviously upset, and he wanted to chase after her, but he couldn't. He had a duty.

Chapter 7

He rode with the captain of the guards and Sir Berig in the van of the group. There were fifty soldiers following them, and he wished there weren't, even more though, he wished that Sir Berig wasn't here. The idea of finding a peaceful way out of this seemed ludicrous, but he trusted Lara... even if she didn't quite trust him yet.

They rode with purpose for over three hours, yet he was no closer to figuring anything out than at the start. The pieces as he knew them just didn't fit, and he was worried. He worried about the princess, the men behind him, and even the idiot at his side. On top of all that, he'd had to endure Sir Berig's constant boasts of how he would destroy the dragon himself, and win the princess away from him with his valor.

It was completely absurd just how clueless the man riding at his side was, and he didn't even try to educate the man. They hated each other too much for that. They found the scout group exactly where they'd expected, at the foot of a mountain with multiple caves on the face of it. They stopped and dismounted. He, the captain, and Sir Berig joined the scouts.

The Captain barked, "Report sergeant!"

One of the men stepped forward, "Yes sir. We've been watching sir, and the dragon hasn't left the cave we saw it fly into but... there is more sir. About two hours ago a smaller dragon showed up sir, it looked exactly the same as the large one, same colored scales and eerie glowing green eyes sir, except it was about a third of the size."

Sir Berig grunted, "Which cave Sergeant?"

The sergeant cleared his throat, "Beg your pardon sir knight, but I wasn't done reporting."

The Captain waved him on.

"Well, when the little one went in sir... it sounded like they fought. Loud roars, even some fire came out of the cave sir. Sir, I have a touch of the magic sir, and I felt some mighty strong magic as well sir."

Lance asked, "What do you think happened sergeant?"

The man shrugged, "No idea why they were fighting sir, it lasted a good fifteen minutes, followed by silence for the last two hours," he pointed at a cave almost at the top of the mountain, "That one up there sir, it will be a hell of a climb, there are no passable trails."

Sir Berig frowned, "I think your men should stay here, engage the dragon if we fail and it comes out. We should be able to handle it, either of us, alone."

He asked, "Against two dragons?"

Sir Berig snorted, "Maybe one of them killed the other."

He shook his head, "More likely the young one was throwing a tantrum."

Sir Berig looked at Lance like he'd lost his mind, "Like a teen and a parent?"

"Why not? The big one seems to be raising the small one right?"

Sir Berig laughed, "I think you've been hit in the head by one too many dragon claws Sir Lance, but I guess we'll find out."

The captain said crisply, "I'll take your advice Sir Berig, my men and I will stand ready if one escapes," then walked away and started to deploy his men.

He shrugged, "Let's get to it."

He muttered a spell under his breath and started climbing. Falling wasn't a concern, both he and Sir Berig had enough magic to ease the climb, and if they did fall, to cushion their landing. No, all the danger would be when they got to the top. Dragon claws weren't designed for delicate work, but they had magic to burn that could manipulate the environment. He wondered what kind of traps this one set to protect its lair.

He also wondered if he would hesitate and finally die. Hesitation wouldn't be a good thing, how did one even parley with a dragon? It'd never come up before. Plus with Sir Berig along, that would just make it all harder. Figures, he finally found the woman of his dreams, and was probably going to die from some fool stunt on her behalf.

Well, that wasn't entirely true. She'd merely solidified his misgivings. These dragons hadn't yet attacked a human outside of a group of blood thirsty mercenaries, he wouldn't be doing this at all except for the king's insistence they must be killed. Even before he'd spoken to the princess, this whole mission had felt a little off.

As they got closer to the top he purged all the feelings from his mind, they would get him killed. He became the dragon slayer, the warrior he was. He'd do what he had to and just hope for the best, he wouldn't really have time to think once he got up there. He'd simply go with his gut.

He pulled himself over the lip of the cave and stood, a few seconds later Sir Berig joined him. It was infantile, but he couldn't help it.

"I win," he grinned.

Sir Berig growled, "Very funny, get your head right, because I certainly won't save your ass."

He shook his head, "Be careful Berig. If your insults get too obvious I'd have no choice but to challenge, I'd hate to have to duel you in a dragon cave."

Berig sneered and removed his arbalest from his back. The thing was magical, and the bolts it shot were impressive. Berig's armor wasn't fireproof, but if he hit a dragon in the head with that thing, he didn't need to be.

They both put on their helms and did one more armor check.

He got his own sword out and they started into the cave. When it started to get too dark, they both cast a small light spell and continued in. He didn't sense any magic, or see any physical traps... yet. They came to a fork and traded glances, without a word Berig went right and he went left. It wasn't lost on him that the way to the right was smaller, much less likely for a dragon to easily fit through, but not impossible.

He walked another thirty feet, studying the ground, walls, and ceiling of the large cave as the incline descended slightly down into the mountain. Ahead, he could feel the power of a ward, and approached cautiously. The ward was offensive in nature, but he trusted his armor and stepped forward to trip it.

The trap sprung, and his armor would have taken the heat of the fire, but it wasn't aimed at him. It was aimed at the roof of the tunnel behind him, which started to shake.

He cursed, "Shit," and ran forward as fast as he could.

He made it about twenty feet when the tunnel collapsed behind him. He'd avoided being crushed, but he was trapped now unless he could find another way out. He dare not call out, and he doubted Berig would help him anyway. He continued forward more cautiously, but didn't detect further traps. The large cave started to open up both wider and taller until he reached a large cavern that must have been the center of the mountain.

The light from his spell didn't reach the other side, but it reached far enough to make out the dragon. It was black as night, with glowing green eyes. He took another cautious step into the cavern, and the shifting light from the spell caused the black scales to gleam. He could also see it wasn't all black, there was blue in there too, which seemed to coruscate around the dragon's body as the light moved.

It was kind of beautiful... and reminded him of something but he couldn't nail down what.

He just stood there for a moment, with his sword up. Normally a dragon would simply pounce at that point, or bathe him in fire. Yet, they stood there staring at each other.

"Umm, hello," he ventured brilliantly.

The dragon growled low in its throat and its head rose high causing him to flinch, damn but it was a big one, but the dragon still didn't attack. It felt so surreal to him standing there. He lowered his sword slightly and studied the dragon before him.

"So... what now?"

The dragon growled again, this time it sounded almost frustrated, like it wanted him to attack. He shook his head in amazement and looked up right into its eyes. He could see it in its piercing green eyes, the anger, contempt, and loathing. He stepped back from the ferocity of it, but didn't raise his sword. The look in the dragon's eyes struck a familiar chord inside him and he gasped as everything solidified in his mind.

All the different clues, everything that had happened added up to one thing. But it was insane, impossible. But even though they were glowing, he recognized the dragon's striking emerald green eyes that were filled with such loathing earlier this morning.

And the scales... he had noticed the way the light from the sun had reflected blue off of the princesses jet black hair as they rode, hair just like her mother's.

He thought this must be a test of sorts, of course, if he was wrong and it was a way to get him killed to keep him away from Lara, he was dead.

He sheathed his sword and dropped on one knee.

He cleared his throat, "Well your majesty, what now?"

The dragon narrowed its eyes, growled low, and looked to be readying to pounce.

Chapter 8

Then he heard a voice he knew well, that spoke to his heart, but it also sounded incredibly angry.

"Don't you dare do it mother. He has passed your stupid test. If you eat my mate I will find a way to destroy you."

He'd already figured out that if the queen was a dragon that could... shift into a human woman somehow. Then the second dragon would be Lara, the woman he'd fallen so hard and fast for, but it still came as a shock. He remembered all the times Lara showed her stubbornness, strength, and intelligence. There'd also been a... untamable wildness to her.

He didn't understand at the time, but when he'd stepped his horse back at the angry look on Lara's face, or when the queen's glare had shaken him, it's because his fight or flight response had kicked in. Damn, that would make his life really exciting, wouldn't it?

As far as how he felt about her being a dragoness... well, he was shocked of course. But he wasn't disgusted by the idea, actually, he found it turned him on a bit. After all, she was wild and unconquerable, and she was his by her choice. Mate she'd called him? He wished he could see her.

It explained everything of course, kind of. He still had questions, if he came out of this alive. But it was the queen who had destroyed the mercenaries, saving that town, protecting her kingdom. But by doing that, she had exposed herself and her own husband was having her hunted. But it made no sense, why didn't the king know? He had a feeling the answer to that was tied up in this... test of hers.

"Are you okay my love?"

The dragon in front of him hissed, but he heard Lara's laughter.

"I'm fine Lance, my mother wouldn't hurt me after all, I'm merely held by her spells. I'm sorry about this, she's overprotective of me and well, she wanted to make sure you could handle knowing, and that you weren't a man who would attack just any dragon simply because it exists. Her mate couldn't, handle it that is, she had to... remove the memories of it from his mind. She loves my father, but he can never know and that causes her pain."

He nodded and stood, and started walking toward the voice.

He said softly, "And she doesn't want you to live with the same pain that she does?"

He heard the cracking of bones behind him, then the queen's voice, "No... I didn't want that for her. Considering your choice of occupation being a dragon slayer, can you blame me? For what it's worth, you have a mother's blessing."

He finally reached Lara, and the spells surrounding her dissolved from his armor's touch, as he walked through them. He pulled off his helmet and claimed her smiling lips for a kiss. An unfortunately chaste kiss, considering he was in full plate armor.

He asked curiously, "So how does this dragon mate thing work?"

She smiled, her eyes sparkling, "It's simple, you're mine and I am yours. If you can handle what I am," she said sounding a little unsure.

He laughed, "That easy? So you'll marry me then my love?"

Her emerald eyes started to tear, and she said softly, "Yes my love, I will."

They were so lost in each other's eyes he was startled when Gwen spoke behind him.

"The king, my husband is a very good man. He was destined to be my mate, and I his. But... you do know the king had a previous queen, that Daniel is not my son?"

He turned in surprise, pulling Lara around with him, "No, what happened."

She shook her head and got tears in her eyes, "Like the dragons you've hunted, there was a feral red that attacked one of the villages, one the queen just happened to be visiting that day. He loves me, I know he does, but he hates dragons with a passion for that reason. I... am sorry I misjudged you."

He nodded, "Forgiven easily your majesty. Your daughter is very special, and worth more than every bit of trouble. Now, how do we get out of here, and what's the plan. You know that idiot Berig is bumbling around somewhere inside the mountain, and there are fifty soldiers outside."

She laughed and wiped her tears, "Idiot Berig, nice description of the odious man. Berig was caught in one of my traps. I'll tell you where and how to get him out and make it to the cave below the one you came in. Then Lara and I will sneak out the other side of the mountain, and I'll collapse all my traps at once. We'll wait for cover of night before flying back to the castle, no one will see us and we'll arrive hours before you do.

"The only problem is what do you tell everyone about the dragons? You can't claim to have killed us, we might need to... intervene again in the future. I wouldn't have been able to bear that town's destruction."

He shrugged, "I'll tell them we fought, leaving out the part about only with words, and that the dragons went farther into the mountain, and that there was a cave in. All true... but misleading. That will prick my conscience, but as we can't let anyone find out about you two, I don't see as I have any choice."

She shook her head, "You could tell the truth."

He snorted and waved that away, "And betray the woman I love and her mother? My conscience will survive the subterfuge, but I'd destroy myself doing the other."

The queen stepped forward and hugged him, and said in simply gratitude, "Thank you. I'd ask you to call me Gwen, but tongues would wag."

He was glad he was still in the armor; he might have enjoyed the hug a little too much if he hadn't been. After all, she looked a lot like her daughter.

He winked when she stepped back, "Of course your majesty."

He had a suspicious thought, "Wait, is Stephanie a red dragon? How many of you are there?"

Gwen smiled, "what makes you think that?"

"Well, your daughter rode off into the forest, and I assume changed and flew here, passing us on the way. But I can't figure out how she would have ditched her minder. And well, Stephanie does have that very bright red hair..."

Lara smacked his armor and looked up at him with sparkling eyes, "You're too smart for your own good, and there are more of us than you'd believe, but less than you fear."

He nodded and dropped it. He understood, they trusted him with her life and her mother's, because he was her mate. They wouldn't however hand the identities over for their entire race, and he didn't blame them for it.

He smiled, "Let's get to it."

Chapter 9

"Do you think they fled?" the king asked.

He shook his head, "It's hard to say your majesty. If the cave in happened before they went out some other way, they would probably be dead, but there is no way to know without digging up the whole mountain. It wouldn't hurt to keep the patrols going another month or so, and if there are no sightings..."

Menneth added, "I could try another divination your majesty, I'm sure it would have worked unless the dragons are dead or have fled the kingdom. It does seem rather likely given what we know."

He hid a smile. When they found out about Menneth's plan to cast the spell when he arrived a few hours earlier, the queen and Lara had snuck into his room and worn some of his armor, and the divination spell had failed to find them.

The king nodded, "I'd have liked to see proof of their demise, but it sounds like they won't be a problem anymore, unless something changes and they come back. I'll take your council Sir Lance, and keep up the patrols for a time. I hope you'll be staying for a while, just in case?"

He smiled, "Of course your majesty, but I have a more important reason than the dragons, I'm quite taken with the princess and hope it won't be long until certain plans are made."

The king smiled slyly, "Not too quickly sir knight, I assume if you can manage it, you'll be off for your Barony when that happens? Especially since Sir Berig has taken off, why is that anyway?"

He grinned, "I will be guided by you, but even so, I wouldn't abandon you until you felt comfortable that the dragons were no longer a danger to your kingdom. As far as Sir Berig, the trap he was in... let's just say he has no intention of ever even chancing across that dragon again."

He cringed a little inside, the king was a good man and he hated to mislead him, but he'd do anything to keep Lara safe. Stretching a few truths seemed paltry in comparison. Besides, the truth was his kingdom was safer with those two particular dragons, than without them.

He and Lara hadn't spread the fact he'd already asked for her hand, and been accepted, simply because for most it would seem way to fast.

The king nodded, "I thank you for that, and as I said earlier, if you can win her heart and get her to agree, you have my blessing. Now, I think it's quite late enough and we've exhausted the possibilities in this discussion. I keep expecting to see false dawn peek into the windows."

He bowed, "Good night your majesty," took his leave, and made his way back to his room.

He woke at the sound of a click and looked toward the door. Nothing, so he looked toward the secret door, his mouth dropped open when the princess came into the room without her ever present shadow, Stephanie.

She was wearing a flowing night gown of light blue silk that clung to her body in ways that scrambled his mind. The material was also obviously partially translucent, but had so many layers he couldn't see anything the dress promised to show. If its intent was seduction, it was succeeding admirably.

"Lara," he said softly, he couldn't take his eyes off of her.

Her long black hair shimmered in the torchlight with hints of blue, so beautiful, and a constant reminder of the color of her scales in her other form. Her green eyes were bright, and sparkled with a hint of mischief.

She whispered back, "Lance," and the way she said his name sent shivers of desire down his spine.

He was also aware he was naked under the covers as his cock stirred at the vision before him.

"Why..."

She tilted her head, "Am I here? Because I'm here to claim you as mine, my dragon demands it, she has waited too long already."

"Does that mean..."

She smiled and walked over to the bed, bending down over him, yet didn't touch him, "Yes, it means exactly what you hope it means. You know, I can smell your desire, though you're a gentleman to try and hide it. I love the way you look at me, the way you caress me with your eyes, it makes me... excited. Besides, I'm dying to find out if all the stories are true, I hope they are as this is my first time with a man."

He gaped up at her for a second, her eyes locked on his from so close. He felt dizzy from her scent and her beauty. He reached out and tentatively ran his hand along her sides down to her hips above the silky gown, then back up her side and cupped her cheek. His manhood was already at full staff.

He whispered, "Stories?"

She laughed a little sultrily, "Oh yes, stories. You don't think the maids talk? They're all terribly jealous of Cirillia, and plotting ways to arrange for you to give them a tumble. I think however they will be disappointed, you are mine after this night, do you agree? I'd hate to have to kill them," she finished fiercely, and he knew she meant it. More than that, it turned him on.