The Driver

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here


* * *

Barnsdale Insurance, Kendal

7th October

The Wife

Once upon a time, I couldn't wait to leave on a Friday knowing I could spend two whole days with the love of my life. Now I don't look forward to the weekends any more. I have to make myself go home. Even then, there would be no guarantee that he would be there. I was beginning to see why people just left their partners. Being around him all the time, knowing how badly I had hurt him was almost as unbearable as the thought of living life without him. That first week had been the worst. He actually flinched every time I touched him. We would lie in bed together, not touching at all. If I moved closer, he moved away. I knew that it wasn't deliberate but it was like torture to me. The man I loved couldn't bear to touch me.

Things had got better over the last two weeks; he at least let me touch him. He seemed to throw himself into his work. He worked late most nights. I thought maybe he was paying me back. Sometimes he didn't get home before the small hours of the morning. I smelled him to see if he'd just come from another woman. There was no smell of perfume or soap, so I guessed he really had been at work.

The last few days he has been much more pleasant, even loving towards me. I'm starting to believe that I might be able to fix our marriage. The suitcase by the door had become my litmus. Every night when I get home, I check it is still there if it is I at least have one more night with him. Each night could be the night when he asked me to unpack it and stay or to take it and go.

These were the thoughts going through my mind as I left the meeting and made my way back to my office. Before I got to my door Roz, my P.A. stopped me.

'There's a rumour going around that you are leaving. Please tell me it's not true.'

'I'm sorry Roz I can't do that, but don't worry I'm sure that whoever they get to replace me will be in even more need of your knowledge and expertise than I am.'

'That's not what worries me, I'm concerned for you. I thought we were friends.'

'We are friends Roz but there are some things that I don't even share with you. They asked me to keep quiet about it and I have.'

'Well somebody hasn't because it's doing the rounds. Is it because of you know who? There is another rumour about him. They say he is gone, instant dismissal. The police were involved.'

I sighed. 'Look Roz I know you mean well, but I'm just not interested in the output of the rumour mill. It's a pity some people can't find better things to do than talk about others.'

Roz went back to her desk, then looked back at me.

'Oh I almost forgot to tell you, there is a visitor waiting for you in your office.'

When I stepped into the office, I was surprised to find David Bentley, Human Resources director for Barnsdale Insurance, sitting in my visitor's chair. He got up and offered his hand as I came in.

'David this is a pleasant surprise. I expected to see someone from HR but hardly anyone so senior.'

'When such a valuable member of staff offers her resignation, no one is too senior to get involved. Now, what do we have to do to keep you?'

'I thought I made it quite clear, my reasons are personal. Nothing to do with the company.'

'There must be something we can do Sara. Why don't you join me for a drink? I thought we could try the new tapas bar in the high street.'

'I'll call my husband; let him know I'll be late.'

He gave me a wry smile. 'I hope you'll forgive us but that job is already done.'

'You've contacted Ronald, how dare you? If you really think that's the right way to win me over, you've seriously misjudged the situation.'

'I can assure you we've done nothing untoward. Now please come with me, we have so much to talk about and it is already getting late.'

I agreed to go with him and soon we were being shown to our table. The bar was originally the cellar of an imposing town house. Pillars and arches divided the space. It was decorated in the style of a Spanish Bodega with wine barrels sunk into the walls and solid wooden tables. I ordered a mineral water and sat down. David asked for a bottle of Rioja and three glasses. That had me puzzled but when I noticed how often he was checking his watch, I realised that we were waiting for someone else. My suspicions were confirmed when David got up and offered his hand to someone behind me.

'Good evening Tom.'

As they shook hands, the other man moved into my line of sight. It was Tom Alexander, CEO and chairman of the board of Barnsdale Insurance.

'Good Evening Mrs Shaftoe, may I call you Sara?' I nodded.

'Well Sara, thank you for coming tonight and thank you for giving me an excuse to speak to your husband.'

'You called Ronnie?'

'Yes, and I can't tell you what a privilege it was. We used to sponsor a race team back when he was driving. Ronnie Shaftoe was the man we all wanted in our team, then out of the blue, he retired just as the big time was coming. Why on earth did he do that?'

'Because I asked him to.'

'He must love you very much.'

'He certainly did, I hope he still does.'

We all sat down and a waitress brought us a menu.

'Is that what this is all about? He gave up his career for you so you feel you have to give up yours for him?'

'No! Ronnie would never ask me to give up my job. He knows how much I love my work.'

'Then why give it up? Let me cut to the chase, would it influence your decision if I said that you would never have to deal with Mr McIntyre ever again?'

'So it's true, he has gone, how did you find out?'

'I have a secretary who is permanently plugged into the rumour mill. So when a highly regarded member of staff resigns without a tangible reason I ask her what she knows. When she told me what she had heard, of course, I checked my ex-son in law's email archive.....Oh don't look so shocked my dear, even my emails are backed up on the server.'

'I don't understand. You know what happened, you've sacked Robert but you want me to stay, why'

'We let Mr McIntyre go because he was dishonest. My daughter let him go because he was unfaithful, and before you ask there were several other women. Luckily, some well-meaning person gave me a lot of background information on my son in law. How he got it I don't know, but we are going to have to beef up security.'

'So why do you want me to stay.'

'You made a mistake my dear, which to be quite honest is none of our business. Mr McIntyre's emails show that he was blackmailing you into continuing with a relationship that you never wanted. That's against the law. When he tried to use his position in the company to put pressure on you, he laid the company wide open to a sexual harassment case. We regard you as pretty much an innocent party in all this. Now shall we order some food and talk a little more about how we can tempt you to stay.'

We ordered our food in true Spanish style, each ordering a couple of dishes that we could share with the others. It was excellent food and I made a mental note that I must bring Ronald here. Tom Alexander poured me a glass of Rioja and it was as good as the food.

With the food out of the way, Tom Alexander got straight down to business again.

'One favour Mr McIntyre did do for us is he made us look at your record. In the five years, you've been managing the fraud section, the number of questionable payouts has dropped significantly and you've done that without any increase in lawsuits. That means that your department is getting it right much more often. We have a great reputation with the police and prosecutors office and that is mainly down to you. Yes, there have been one or two mistakes but everything I've seen says we would be fools to let you go. Now my son in law's departure has created a vacancy on the board. David and I think it is high time the fraud section was represented on the board. So what do you say are we tempting you?'

I didn't know what to say. He was offering me everything I wanted, but if it meant losing Ronnie, I couldn't accept. Tears welled up in my eyes and I got a lump in my throat. As the tears started to run down my cheeks and as David handed me a tissue I started to shake my head.

'I'm sorry sir, it is everything I could wish for but I have to turn it down. I've told Ronald I'd give up my job. If I take this now it would be like profiting from cheating on him.'

Tom Alexander put his arm around my shoulders and hugged me. 'I take it he knows all about it then.' I nodded.

'I told him everything the day I gave my notice.'

'Well my dear if he hasn't left you by now, I'd say that was a very good sign wouldn't you?'

I nodded as I dabbed at my eyes with the tissue. 'I hope so; I don't know what I'd do without him.'

'Of course, you need to talk to him. Tell him the fly has been removed from the ointment.'

'Why should he believe me now, he knows I've lied and deceived him.'

'Oh I think he will, and if he wants confirmation he can ask me when we all have dinner together on Tuesday.'

'You want us to have dinner with you?'

'Least I can do. My ex-son in law caused this mess, now we have to clean it up. No offence to you my dear but having dinner with Ronnie Shaftoe would be a treat for me.'

'I'll ask him sir, but I can't guarantee anything.'

'Of course you can't, and please call me Tom. Sir sounds so formal. Now it will take us a little while to put together a package that might tempt you. If you are OK with it in principle I'll get David here working on it Monday morning'

'Yes Sir, sorry Tom, I'm definitely OK with it but only if Ronnie agrees.'

He turned his attention to David Bentley who had been left out of the conversation for some time.

'What do you think David, can we work out something in two weeks?'

'Definitely Tom.'

'Good, by the time this young lady gets back from her compassionate leave we'll be in a position to go forward.'

'But I don't need any time off.'

'I think you do. Two weeks of showing your husband how much he means to you.'

'That's an impossible task.'

'Then spend the time having a damned good try.' He looked at his watch. 'Sorry I've got to go; my wife and daughter are expecting me. Here's my card with my direct number. Call me Monday to confirm our dinner date.'

With that, he was gone. I sat there in shock just looking at David.

'I don't believe this David, in all the time I've worked for the company I've barely met him and now he wants us to have dinner with him.'

'He feels very bad about McIntyre. He went out on a limb to get him appointed. The board wanted him offered a lower level position but Tom insisted. Seems he was completely taken in by him.'

'He wouldn't be the first.'

'No, having read the file we were sent I can see that he wasn't. I don't suppose you know anything about that, do you? A file detailing the activities of Mr McIntyre over the past twenty years.'

'No David, I have no idea what you are talking about.'

'Pity whoever compiled it could do your section a lot of good. However, he must have broken any number of laws so perhaps we should steer clear?'

'Your probably right....Now if we are finished I really must get home to my husband.'

I got up shook his hand and left. I walked back to the office to pick up my car. My head was still spinning with all that had happened in the last hour and a half. I got in the car and pointed it in the direction of home.


* * *

The Shaftoe residence, Shap village

7th October

The Wife

I hardly remember the drive home. So much was going through my head that I'm surprised I didn't have an accident. How was I going to tell Ronald that I wanted to go back on my decision to quit? Would he just accept that Robert was no longer around? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to punish me and make me leave. Then again, Ronald wasn't like that, he wouldn't give me an ultimatum; he would let me make my decision and then make his. As I pulled into the road that led to our house, I started to wonder if all my soul searching was a pointless exercise. There at the end of the road was our house, in complete darkness.

I pressed the button on the remote control and the garage door started to lift. I looked for any other sign of life but found none. Could he still be working? Had Tom Alexander's phone call put us back a square? The garage light came on and there was no sign of Ronald's Morgan. My heart sank, was this going to be another night alone? A night when I desperately needed to talk to him and he wouldn't be there? As the garage door started to close, I went through the door to our kitchen. I marched over to the fridge without even switching the light on. Grabbing a bottle of Pinot Grigio I switched the light on and went looking for a glass. That's when I noticed it, or rather the lack of it.

I was just closing the cupboard door when I looked towards the door to the garage and realised that my suitcase wasn't there. I almost dropped the glass and had to hang on to the worktop to steady myself. This was a new development, but what did it mean? Had he unpacked it because he wanted me to stay or had he used it himself and left? Did that explain why he wasn't home? Had he taken Tom's phone call as an indication that I was trying to wheedle my way out of resigning? I felt an emptiness inside at the mere thought that he might be gone. Tears ran from my eyes.

I poured myself a drink and tried to summon up some self-control. I couldn't imagine Ronald leaving without a word, especially when we seemed to be making progress. I took the drink from room to room, switching on lights and looking for signs. If he had really left, the least I expected was a note. When I found nothing my hopes started to rise again. Until I realised where it would be. I had allowed another man into my bed. If Ronald had left me anything, it would be in our bedroom on his pillow.

I ran up the stairs still in my work clothes, I'd forgotten I still had the wine in my hand until I felt it splashing onto my legs as my skirt rode up. I crossed the landing at the top of the stairs and entered our bedroom. When I switched on the light, nothing happened so I started to walk towards the bed where I would find the bedside lights. I'd just cleared the door when it slammed shut behind me and I was in darkness.

Two hands grabbed me from behind holding my arms close to my sides. The glass fell from my hand, instinctively I cried out and tried to free myself. As I pulled away from my attacker, he pulled my arms behind my back and I felt something cold on one wrist then the other. Both hands were held fast behind my back. As I continued to scream, something large and round was forced into my mouth. I tried to push it out with my tongue but it was held in place by something fastened behind my head. He placed a blindfold over my eyes and turned me around. Holding my shoulders, he gently pushed me, making me walk backwards until my legs came up against the bed. I almost tumbled backwards but the hands on my shoulders stopped me falling. He, I guessed it was a man, moved his hands down to my upper arms and gripping them tightly lifted me off the floor and threw me back on the bed. It now seemed obvious what he wanted and being so much stronger than I am he was likely to get it.

I kicked out at nothing. Gagged, blindfolded with my hands fastened behind my back I felt powerless, but that didn't stop me trying. I heard him switch the bedside light on and felt him getting on the bed. I tried to kick him but he grabbed one of my ankles and forced it down onto the bed. He must have knelt with a leg either side of mine because the swing of my free leg was limited by the bulk of his body. He strapped one ankle down then grabbed the other and did the same thing to that one. Could it be Robert, come to take his revenge? If it was, he wasn't going to find it easy. I writhed on the bed trying in vain to bring my legs together. He unbuttoned my jacket then started on my blouse, it wasn't long before he lost patience and simply tore it open. I felt exposed and vulnerable but felt an obligation to Ronald and myself to put up as much of a fight as I could. It was when I felt a heavy cold object on my stomach. He put a finger between my breasts and lifted my bra, then used whatever it was, like a pair of scissors, to cut it. The two halves of the bra parted exposing my breasts. The heavy object crashed to the floor. I felt his hands on my chest and I tried to move away as he grabbed my tits. My struggling only made it hurt even more as he squeezed them. When he progressed to pinching my nipples, I tried to cry out but all that emerged was a nasal grunt.

He moved further down pulling my skirt up around my waist then tearing my tights and panties from my body. My tears were running down my face into my hair as he got up and came to kneel beside my head. He put his hand behind my neck and I felt something rubbing against my cheek. I caught that unmistakable smell.


* * *

The Burns Unit Carlisle Hospital

6th October

After the first visit from the police, I hadn't really expected another. P.C. Armstrong had left me under no illusions that they would actively search for the other driver so it came as some surprise to find two detectives and a constable coming into my room carrying some equipment with them. As they approached the bed, the first detective introduced himself and the rest of his team.

'Good afternoon Mr McIntyre. I am Inspector Reese this is Sergeant Becker we hope you can help us with our enquiries.'

Inspector Reese was a tall man, but then everyone looks tall when you spend your days lying on your back. His shoulders were broad and he had the build of a rugby player. That would probably explain his broken nose. His sergeant was much shorter with a large bust and large hips with little or no waistline. She had the sort of face that would crack if she smiled.

'Good afternoon inspector, I must admit I'm surprised to see you. I thought you guys had given up on my accident. I certainly didn't expect the plain clothes people to get involved.'

'This has nothing to do with the accident sir, I'm afraid it's much more serious than that.'

The Constable busied himself setting up some recording equipment. He placed two cassettes in the machine and switched it on. He nodded to the inspector who took that as his cue to start the interview.

'For the benefit of the tape, those present at this interview are Mr Robert McIntyre, Inspector Geoffrey Reese, Sergeant Christine Becker and PC Colin Jones. Now, Mr McIntyre, you are entitled to have a solicitor present. If you wish, you can call your own solicitor or we can call the duty solicitor for you. Would you like a solicitor present sir?'

'That depends inspector, do I need one?'

'That's not for me to say sir.'

'Well, inspector why don't you tell me what this is all about then I can make up my own mind?'

'Very well sir. Robert McIntyre, I am arresting you on suspicion of the possession of pornographic images of minors with intent to distribute. You are not obliged to say anything but it may harm your defence if you fail to mention, when questioned, something you later rely on in court.'

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When they'd turned up, I thought it was about my accident. When he said it was more serious, I thought the Americans had decided to extradite me on tax charges. Now he was talking about Kiddie porn. I'd never been involved in anything like that.

'Now hold on inspector there must be some mistake. Like most men, I've visited a few porn sites but never anything to do with children. It doesn't excite me at all. I don't even like children.'