The Empath Cycle: 2010 Carpe Diem - Book 1

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That evening, Ann didn't really pay attention to the teacher as he gave his lecture on Operations Management. It didn't really matter since she had already read the relevant material.

She could have stayed at home since she was reading the file she had stared at half of the afternoon. Ann knew she wasn't supposed to have taken it from the office, but she would make sure nobody noticed and none of her roommates saw it.

Ann started when someone plumped down on the seat beside hers. Looking up, she saw it was the TA. The amphitheatre was almost empty.

"That must be some interesting document. You never looked up in three hours, even at break and I'm sure you would keep reading until I turned off the lights." He teased.

"I'm sorry. I got caught up. I didn't mean to."

"It's okay. You didn't miss anything important. I imagine you've already read the material, as usual." He said. At her nod, he continued. "That teacher is such a bore. It's a wonder anyone shows up at all. So, what were you reading?"

"It's a file from work. I'm not supposed to take it out, but..."

"The engineering firm, right? How are you doing in the marketing department?"

"I'm not in marketing anymore. I was transferred to an engineering division."

"You must be glad to be rid of the asshole you had for a boss. What are you doing now?"

"Honestly, I'm not exactly sure. Don't laugh. Engineers used to be project managers, like architects, but I get the feeling that the people I now work with don't do things the conventional way. They said they used to, but that they don't really have time for it anymore. From what little I've seen of the way they work, they probably think their time is better spent doing science. Yes, science. It's definitely not what I expected in an engineering firm. It's called the Special Projects Division for a reason. See this file? It's a project they did last year for a pharmaceutical company. They redesigned a whole production line. I looked it up online. The company says it boosted their output by twenty three percent."

"Wow! So, they want you to take over project management?"

"I doubt it. I don't have the experience and I'm in Business Administration. I'm not sure what they expect from me."

"Whatever it is, you'll be great at it. I spoke with other TAs and we all agree that you're the best student we've seen in years. If you want, you could either change your major or simply do a general Bachelor with the best courses you need for the job. That would mean a specialization in Project Management instead of the curriculum you are currently following."

"I've thought about it, but I've only been there two days and they haven't even told me what my job will be. I'm only reading files on finished projects and another on one they've only just started to give me a feeling for what they do."

"That's all right. Let me know before mid-August if you want to adjust your curriculum. I'll help you choose the new courses you will need and I'll talk to people in the Registrar's office to make it happen. Now, pack your stuff and go home. You need your beauty sleep and my wife is waiting for me."

On Thursday, Ann was surprised to see Ms. Tremblay's door closed when she came in at 7:00 again. Maybe the previous days had been the exception and she shouldn't come in so early. Ann didn't want her to think she was a suck-up when she was only captivated by the files she was reading.

She had finished the second completed project the night before and she couldn't wait to see what they were currently into.

Annabelle almost jumped out of her skin when Ms. Tremblay stopped by her office around ten. Ann could tell she had just arrived because she was wearing a light jacket and was carrying a briefcase. Ann thought the woman with her was the same one she had lunch with on Tuesday, but she looked younger. She figured was mistaken. She had only glanced at her after all.

"Good morning, Ann." Ms. Tremblay said. "John told me you still haven't given him the simplified confidentiality agreement, so I thought you mustn't have had time to get legal advice on the formal version."

"I'm sorry, Ms... Sylvie. I forgot. I'll bring it to him right away."

"Don't fret about it. It's only there to impress the usual gullible admins we've had before. As you know, they haven't lasted long enough to be made privy to important documents. We will require you to sign the other document if you show up on Monday, though. We deal with proprietary information from our clients and of our own."

"Yes, ma'am. I will. I mean I do. I mean..."

"Stop terrorizing her, you meanie." The woman with Ms. Tremblay told her. Ann did not expect the hard slap on the ass that followed the words. Nor the mewl that resulted from it. "Now get to work. I've got to talk with your young friend here."

Sylvie grinned and whispered something to her before leaving them.

"Ann, my name is Karlie and I'm a contract lawyer, among other things. I'll explain the confidentiality agreement to you since I doubt you'll have time or the money to go see a lawyer on your own. Don't worry, I don't work for this firm, so there is no conflict of interest and my legal advice is free to you."

"Thank you, ma'am. I wasn't sure what to do with it. I probably would just have signed it. I have no intention to divulge sensitive information anyway."

"First, my name is Karlie. Second, I'm glad you're discrete. And third you should never sign a legal document without understanding it thoroughly."

"I'm sorry, but this is the first one I've ever come across. I'd appreciate your help."

They spent the rest of the morning going over it. Ann found out that Karlie was the one who re-wrote it especially for the division after finding loopholes in the version the firm's legal team had been using.

By the time the lawyer left, Ann understood the basis of the blood oath rumor and the reasons for the agreement.

'Will I ever stop wondering what I have gotten myself into?' She mused

That evening, Ann skipped class to work on the report that was expected for the next day. This time, Sylvie didn't say a word to her when she left.

The next morning, Ann was surprised to find Ms. Tremblay waiting for the elevator at 6:00. She had been sure she would be the first in the office.

"There's no need to look like a scared doe, Ann. We don't keep regular hours. It depends on the project we're working on. On occasion we work during the night because we have to communicate with people on other continents. Some of us prefer to come in early or work late. I know for a fact that there are at least four others who are already here. Jean-Luc is usually here at 5:00 and that's only because he now has a girlfriend. He used to sleep on the floor of his office before we bought him a sofa-bed. He hardly ever uses it anymore."

"Really?" I said.

"Really. When you were told you were joining a team of driven, dedicated people, what did you think it meant?"

"I thought I knew what you all meant. Now, I find I have to revise my opinion."

"In a positive way, I hope. How are you coming along with the files?" Sylvie asked with a wicked grin.

"I'm almost done." Ann was glad to be able to answer. "I'm finished with the second project and all I need is to write up the current one."

"Good." By that time, they were standing in the corridor between their offices. "I'll let you get to it." Ann had a hand on the doorknob when Sylvie asked. "By the way, you do know you have an email account, don't you?"

"No, I don't. Nobody told me and I didn't have time to look around in my computer."

"Well, you do. There are a few people who are wondering why you haven't replied to their emails. Your current password is 'newbie001' -- no capitals --, but you can change it. In fact, you should look for the 'Internet security' file and read carefully."

"I will. Thank you."

Ann skimmed through her emails. Most were welcomes to the division and good wishes. One was an invitation to a division outing in mid-August. She quickly answered them, but didn't commit to the outing.

The one that threw her for a loop was from Anne-Marie. Attached were pictures of a typical split-level suburb bungalow with a two-car garage attached, a beautiful bike with a fantastic paint job on a pink base and a classic muscle car. Its base was shiny black with an elaborate fiery phoenix airbrushed on the hood and gleaming old-school mags. It was an invitation to bring her Harley to Montreal and park it in Anne-Marie's garage. She said she owned a house in the West-Island, that there was a direct bus from the Lionel-Groulx metro station and only a two minute walk from the bus stop to her house.

She stared at it for long minutes, unsure how to respond. One way could be interpreted as too forward, another as misleading and yet another as cold and uncaring. To say that she was confused would be a major understatement. She liked her and didn't want to offend her.

'Why couldn't I be a man?' She wondered. Most didn't bother with the impression they made on women. Only caring if they would spread their legs and if not, they moved along.

Ann wanted to be her friend. They shared at least a passion for motoring and she liked what little she knew of her outgoing personality.

Finally, Ann sent a picture of her customized low rider chopper. It only had a straight electric blue paint job, but she loved it. She thanked her for the offer and wrote that she would think about it since she had no practical way to bring her bike down from Sept-Iles.

Ann had barely opened her report in Word when Outlook pinged. Wondering if she would ever get work done, she opened the email without looking at the sender's name.

It was from Anne-Marie again. Ann was greeted by an embedded picture of a closed-in motorcycle trailer with a wheel rail and all the straps to hold a bike securely in place. Attached were two pictures of her. In one, she was wearing chaps, a leather jacket, biker boots and a chromed WWII German helmet, complete with the spike on top.

Ann was stunned, to say the least, but that was nothing compared to what she felt when she saw the second picture.

It had obviously been taken as Anne-Marie rode by the photographer. She had her head thrown back, in full throat laughter, her long hair trailing behind, unencumbered by a helmet. She was wearing the skimpiest bikini Ann had ever seen. She laughed out loud when she noticed Anne-Marie was wearing her boots. She was the perfect image of a diminutive Valkyrie on her old school chopper.

'Okay, she has to be coming on to me. Right?' Ann thought. 'Why else would she send me a picture of her wearing a top that barely covers her nipples, exposing her perfect, firm, scrumptious breasts and wearing a string thong so I could see her beautiful ass? Still...' As previously mentioned, Ann sometimes had to be hit over the head to recognize a come-on when she saw it.

If she didn't know what to make of the pictures, at least the email was clear. Anne-Marie couldn't stand by knowing that a fellow bike enthusiast, and a mechanic to boot, was without her ride when she didn't need to be. She told Ann, in no uncertain terms, that they would drive north to get her hog that week-end. She asked her address and told Ann that she would pick her up Saturday morning at 7:00. She said they could drive back right away or she would rent a room at a motel while Ann stayed with her family.

That was a no-brainer. Ann checked the Météo Média website, then called her mom and wrote back that she would be waiting on the sidewalk and not to make a reservation before they left because there was a room already waiting for her.

Ann couldn't believe she would be reunited with her bike. It had been hell without it the previous summer and this one had promised to be no better. All her reservations flew out the windows at the thought of riding down the open road every week-end. The 550 plus miles each way would answer any questions she had concerning Anne-Marie. She knew she was taking an awful risk, but if they didn't get along, she could always rent a parking space in a garage somewhere.

For once Ann was glad for the long hours of practice at typing. The hundred words a minute came in handy that morning. She took the time to proof-read her report twice before emailing it to Ms. Tremblay. Looking at her computer, she saw that it was already 1:00pm. She got up, stretched the kinks out of her back and walked to the cafeteria.

There were a few people eating and she could hear good natured ribbing from the recreation area.

Annabelle sat down to eat and gazed at the city. The view was impressive. She knew it would be even better at night, having gone to the viewing point on Mount Royal with friends.

When she was done, Ann leisurely walked back to her office. She stopped to Ms. Tremblay's office to ask what she should do until their meeting at the end of the day.

"Why wait?" Sylvie asked. "I read it and you've convinced me that we made the right choice. You grasped our weaknesses in the completed projects and I like the suggestions you made for the current one. Of course, you'll need to gain some experience, but you have a clear grasp of our needs and work. For now, you'll be in charge of supply. I emailed everyone to let them know. In two week, if you're still with us, we'll start you on various projects we have going on and we'll begin defining what your role will be with us."

"Thank you ma'am." Ann said before she could think. "Err, Sylvie." She amended at her grin. "I'll be here Monday morning for sure."

"Good. Now get to work and I expect you to get out of here at 5:00pm. I hear you have a long ride ahead of you this week-end."

"Is there anything going on around the office that you don't know about?" Ann asked.

"Not much." Sylvie laughed. "Now get to work. We don't pay you to chat."

"Yes, ma'am" Ann replied with a grin of her own.

She hadn't expected it, but wasn't really surprised by the new furniture in her office.

There was a bookcase filled with catalogues and binders on one wall and a wide three-drawer file cabinet on the other, under the poster.

A post-it on her desk told her to check her email. When she did, she found a list of office, workshop and laboratory material to order with the names of regular suppliers beside each and a list of the carriers currently used. There was a note telling her that the contracts with each were in a file in the cabinet and that she was free to research better deals for suppliers and carriers.

Ann certainly had her work cut out for her, so she didn't waste any time wondering how someone, or a team of people, could have carried all that in the forty five minutes break she had taken for lunch. They must have been watching for her to leave and all pitched in to make the move so quickly.

By quitting time, Ann had made definite inroads in the list, ordering what was marked as a priority without haggling over prices and using the regular carriers. There would be time for that later.

She would have kept on working, but Anne-Marie stopped by and threatened to get the gang to carry her out of the building if she didn't follow her.

Anne-Marie teased Ann all the way down about her being all work and no play. Ann laughed nervously, not knowing if she was serious or not. It definitely felt like she was coming on to her again, but it could simply be her good-natured personality expressing itself. To make matters worse, her hand kept brushing Ann's in the press of the elevator crowd. At one point they were pushed so tightly together, her breasts were squished against Anne-Marie's upper back and her soft derriere pushed against Ann's upper thighs. That's when the crowd of passengers refused to let any more people step into the car.

Anne-Marie's hand brushing against Ann's may have been accidental. The hug she gave her before they went their separate way certainly was not. With a last 'welcome to the team' and 'I'll see you tomorrow', she turned and walked away. Ann stood there, dumbfounded, and watched her make her way toward the metro station. As she admired the undulating hips of the gorgeous petite woman, she felt a familiar tingling.

Ann waited until she turned at the the corner and was lost from sight before joining the flow of people going her way.

Once home, Ann managed to wash up despite the fact that the friction from the washcloth was causing even more cream to flow, and changed to shorts and a camisole. She walked over to the other apartment. It was their turn to do the Friday supper and she offered her services since she was home early.

After they had eaten their fill, those still there -- Marty and Zoe had left for work -- slumped on the couch and the loveseat, reminiscing over the week. Ann was slightly tipsy from the half bottle of white wine she had drunk which might explain why she told them about Anne-Marie after saying that she would be driving home with a friend to get her bike over the week-end.

For some reason she couldn't explain, Ann hadn't meant to. She wasn't even sure what was happening after all. But they teased and goaded her until she told them all about her co-worker.

"So, are you going to seal the deal this week-end?" Viviane asked. She was a voluptuous five-ten woman with a body and face to die for, large breasted, hips that just invited a wandering hand and wavy auburn hair below the proud shoulders. She always had perfectly coiffed hair and the exact make-up required for every social occasion. Her wardrobe of elegant clothes was impressive to say the least and Ann couldn't believe the number of shoes she owned. Viviane presented the perfect image of a woman of the world... in public. At home, they knew her as a fun, relaxed friend who gave no second thought to walking around either apartment naked or wearing the skimpiest of clothes. She had a generous, caring nature and was outspoken with her friends though she was the very essence of diplomacy and tact in her public persona. Whenever one of them was in trouble, she was always there for them whether they needed sage advice, a shoulder to cry on or an orgasm -- or two -- to get over a heartbreak or simply because she felt horny, which was often indeed.

Ann blushed deeply and they all laughed good-naturedly at her.

Viviane pulled Ann in her arms and cradled her head on her generous bosom as she was wont to do. She gave her a tender smile when Ann pulled away.

"You must really like her." She said.

"I do, but I don't know if I should go ahead with it. I'm not ever sure she's a lesbian." Ann answered softly.

Viviane knocked gently on Ann's head with her knuckles.

"Poor baby. Of course she's a lesbian and she knows you're one too, I'm sure. I've never seen you act like this over a woman. When she makes her move and you accept her, you're going to fall hard for her."

"That's what I'm afraid of." Ann almost whined.

"Whatever for?" Tamie asked from the loveseat where she cuddled with Céline. The two femmes had been a couple for two years. They were the only ones of the group to stay together for any length of time and their friends all thought they would eventually marry and be together for life.

"Because I genuinely like her and I work with her. You all know I've never been in a serious relationship. I don't want to mess things either with her or at work. I'd prefer to only be friends with her."

"If it's meant to be, it will happen. Don't make yourself miserable or break her heart unnecessarily. Talk to her. Explain your reservations. She'll understand and if she doesn't, you're better off without her anyway." Céline said.

They all agreed with her advice and the conversation turned to other subjects. Soon, Viviane walked over to Jo and straddled her legs. Pushing up the camisole that covered her generous breasts without hiding them in any significant way, she pulled Jo's mouth to an already erect nipple. Reaching over to Berny, she pulled her to the other. The two were her preferred playmates.