The Fallen Queen of Eden Ch. 11

Story Info
Workplace Games.
3.1k words
4.72
2.8k
1
0

Part 11 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/08/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

As the sun descended, more people started trickling into Momo's and among them was the Preacher-man himself, dressed in plain jeans and a t-shirt and wearing a cowboy hat low on his brow. It was low enough that at least part of his face was hidden, but his ferret eyes could still look over the crowd. He chose a table that was in the far corner and afforded him an excellent view of everything. From that vantage point, it didn't take him long to spot his quarry.

He could see Lilith sitting there at the bar, laughing and drinking with Eli's friends. She reminded him so much of Laine, or at least how Laine would have been had she lived. Leaning back in his chair, the Preacher-man's head was filled with a thousand sugary thoughts of Lilith when his phone buzzed notifying him of a text. He snatched up the phone, intent on ignoring the call, only to change his mind when he saw the number. He wanted this call. He had been on the lookout for a Dodge truck that was built back in 1945 and the man texting him had such a vehicle. It was a bit rough looking but that just made the Preacher-man want it more.

The deal didn't take long. Just a few short texts and he was done and putting his phone back in his pocket. It had taken quite a while to locate one of those old trucks, at least one that still worked. Often they were fully restored, which made them look beautiful, but for nostalgia reasons he didn't want one that was pretty and perfect. Sometimes he would run across just the body that was ready for someone to build from scratch, but he had no time for that and he knew anyone he took it to would see who he was and gouge him on the price. Levi wanted that old second-hand truck that was worn but worked, just like the one he had bought when he was sixteen.

Yes, Levi remembered working hard after he turned fifteen mowing yards and doing any odd jobs he could find just so he would have enough money to buy a car of his own. The one he had his eye on was a beat-up 1945 Dodge truck that sat in Old Man Brown's boneyard. He was so proud the day of his sixteenth birthday when he handed over his hard-earned cash and drove that vehicle off down the road. Half the paint was missing but it still had the wood bed rails, well, most of them. The engine needed a tune-up, but he knew the basics of car repair so he was able to get it up and running. Once he did, the first place he drove to was Laine's house so he could show it off.

When it came to that truck, Levi found it impossible not to have the memories of it linked with those of Laine Javid. He had loved her with every fiber of his being and if there was anything in the world that haunted him it was her memory. She had only been fifteen when they started seeing each other and there was never another girl like her . . . until Lilith. She was smart, outspoken, flirtatious and so full of life.

The two years he spent with Laine at his side was the happiest time of Levi's life. Every evening as soon as he was done with his chores he would jump into his truck and drive off to Laine's house. Her father was a widower that worked third shift at the refinery so they never worried about curfews or getting in trouble. As a small-town preacher's son, Levi probably should have been more concerned with appearances, but with that girl at his side he wasn't afraid of anything. Laine never cared what anyone thought and was more than aware that she was the subject of every salacious rumor around the school. If it was improper or immoral then it was whispered that Laine Javid had done it. With such whispers also came the obligatory 'poor thing, she never had a mom to guide her.'

Of course, none of those things were true and Levi knew that better than anyone. Pulling into her driveway there was nothing more beautiful than the sight of her long dark hair blowing in the wind as she ran out of the house and jumped into his truck. Together, in that old Dodge, they explored every back road that they could find, paved or unpaved. Almost every night they stopped at Avis Creek, threw aside whatever clothes they had on and skinny-dipped in the cool water.

Back then they believed they would be young forever and had all the time in the world. A night never passed without them making love in the back of that truck and of course, there were countless hours spent dreaming. The pair laid in the truck bed staring up at the stars telling each other their dreams and making promises for the future. Holding her small hand in his, Levi told her how one day he was going to be rich and build her a huge mansion. Laine always laughed and would make him swear that there would be a large stone fireplace with a strong wooden mantel that had dogwood flowers carved into it.

One night he asked her why it was so important that they have this fireplace. Laine smiled then rolled over so she could look into his face. The answer was a simple one. With a giggle she explained that someday after they were married she was going to give him a dozen fine sons and the mantle needed to be strong to hold all their Christmas stockings. As for the dogwood flowers, those were her favorite, but they never lasted past spring so she wanted them carved into the wood so she could see them all year round.

In her eyes he could see the light of all their promises and dreams. A thousand tomorrows just waiting for the two of them. So much unfulfilled happiness. All of it was destroyed in a single moment. It was early in the morning before dawn and he was driving her home along a back road. As they drove around a bend a large eight point buck suddenly leapt onto the road right in front of the truck. He slammed on his brakes, but it was no use and his vehicle hit the animal then veered off the road and down a steep hillside landing upside down. The last thing he remembered was the sound of Laine screaming as the vehicle flipped.

When he came to, every part of his body was in pain and it was hard to breathe. He was scrapped to a body board and being carried up the hill towards an ambulance. With a weak voice he managed to ask about Laine, but nobody answered. Instead they just kept telling him to stay calm and he would be alright. He asked repeatedly all the way to the hospital, but there was still no answer. After he came out of surgery and was in stable condition they informed him that she had died from massive head trauma.

Levi was never the same man after that. For days he didn't leave his room or talk to anyone. All that time he just kept praying to God and promising that he would fulfill all the dreams and promises that he had made to Laine. In return he demanded the Lord give the love of his life back in some form or other. The Preacher-man kept his word and built the life he had vowed he would. He even made sure that the fireplace that was built for his home had a strong mantle with dogwood flowers carved into it.

Over time his belief in God vanished into a belief in himself and his abilities. The one thing he had not accomplished was finding his Laine. Instead he had ended up chained to Jeza and no ball and chain ever felt so heavy. For many years his private life felt hopeless until the day he stepped into Millie's bar. Hearing Lilith's sassy banter with one of the regulars and seeing the way she carried herself and her independent 'I don't care what anyone thinks' attitude, he knew he had found his Laine again.

His biggest obstacle was making Lilith accept her destiny and removing Elijah Asher from the picture altogether. To the Preacher-man this was a minor inconvenience at best and Levi was certain the welder would be rethinking his relationship, especially once he arrived at work. He only wished he could be a fly on the wall to see it, but it was enough to know that he had made his point. In the Preacher-man's mind, Lilith didn't need a hero or a distraction. What she needed was to see that she belonged with him and accept her place at his side.

Eli knew nothing of any plots circling around him and couldn't conceive of any danger brewing. He arrived at Rawlings just as he always did and nothing seemed amiss. He parked in the same area of the parking lot and waved at the same co-workers seated at picnic tables that were the designated smoking area. Not that everyone seated smoked, some were just there to chat while they waited for the shift to start. Elijah went inside and clocked in before getting himself a cup of coffee. He talked a bit with a couple of guys who were also getting themselves a cup. When the clock struck the hour, the supervisor, Floyd Asna, arrived and the shift began with the normal tailgate meeting and work assignments. One was given to each and every man standing there except Eli. The supervisor seemed unable to look at Eli at all. Finally, he went to ask Floyd about his assignment and before he could say more than a single word, he was told they needed to speak in his office.

As soon as the door was closed, Floyd tossed some paperwork in front of Eli, but still never made any eye contact. This seemed rather strange. Floyd Asna was known for being a prick around the plant, but he had no qualms about looking you in the eye while screwing you over on a job. Something about this wasn't sitting well with his supervisor and he was curious to know what it was. Eli picked up the paperwork and started reading. It seemed they were sending him to do fieldwork all the way in California and he was expected to leave at five tomorrow morning. This didn't make any sense. He was still working on a tank for a pharmaceutical company so it would be ridiculous to send him away now.

There was also the problem of time. Even if he wanted to go, it wasn't enough time to secure his house and get someone to keep an eye on it for him. There was also the question of Lilith. The paperwork in front of him clearly stated that only he could go. No wives or girlfriends permitted. He couldn't just abandon her with the Preacher-man still out there waiting to strike. She trusted him and he didn't want to let her down . . . he couldn't let her down.

"I can't," Eli responded, tossing the papers back in front of his supervisor.

"Excuse me?"

"I can't just pick up and leave on such short notice. I have a house that needs to be looked after, as well as a pet. I also have commitments that I've made to friends and family. I can't just drop everything and leave."

"Am I to understand that you're refusing to do your job?" Floyd asked, his eyes finally locking onto Eli's.

"No. I am more than willing to do my job right here in the plant, but I can't go to California right now."

The supervisor clicked away at his computer and brought up Eli's file. There were already three right ups on his record so the next step was five days off without pay. Surely that would hurt this guy enough that he would play ball. Taking out a blank disciplinary form he quickly filled it out for insubordination and what the consequences were. He handed it to Eli who picked it up and read it, then with a shake of his head he chucked it back in front of Floyd . He couldn't believe how ridiculous this was. There were plenty of guys who would jump for a chance at this job so why were they harassing him.

"Seeing how you already have three write-ups on file, you will be placed on leave without pay for the next five days. Now sign it"

"I'm not signing that. Those other three reports are horse shit too. Where's my union representation?" Eli argued. Whether it was because he knew he was doing wrong or because he hated to be questioned by a subordinate, Floyd became instantly incensed. The supervisor leaped to his feet and pounded his fist on the desk.

"I said you are on a five-day disciplinary leave effective immediately, now get the hell out of my office and get off this property!"

Elijah didn't leave the property. Instead, he snuck off to the bathroom and placed a call to the business agent for the steelworkers union. An hour later he was at the plant and in Floyd's office. The first thing they did was go over the previous write-ups. There was one for his quality of work being high, but his quantity falling slightly short of what they wanted. Eli had asked the supervisor which he wanted, quality or quantity and was told both. His response to the boss was 'too bad, you can't have it'. This further irritated Floyd when Eli took his copy of the document and folded it into a swan and displayed it on his toolbox for all to see. It was his way of giving the supervisor a middle finger and everyone knew it.

The second write up was over an incident where Floyd had demanded that Eli weld a section a certain way. It wasn't going to work and he told his supervisor that, but his boss insisted he do it anyway. Three times he explained why it wouldn't work and three times, Floyd Asna told him to do it anyway. As expected, the weld failed and he was written up for doing a poor job. They argued over it but in the end, the supervisor refused to take the heat for his own mistake.

The third was similar to the second but this time the failure was caused by a different welder who never should have been allowed to strike an arc. Unfortunately, he was related to one of the owners of the company, and as such, was untouchable. It was even an open joke among the other workers. 'Who's turn is it to take the ass chewin' for Sean this time'? The union business agent wasted no time getting the first two thrown out of Eli's record, but there was nothing they could do about the last one. As for the five-day disciplinary leave, it got changed to an administrative leave with full pay.

The battle won, Eli strolled out to his car, still wondering what prompted this sudden desire to transfer him. Looking around, he suddenly noticed a new sign out in front of an old church across the street from Rawlings. He had seen it everyday coming and going to work, but today there was a new sign in front of it. The property was now owned by Rawlings Steel Shop and was set for demolition in two weeks. Eli couldn't believe it. The old church had long been in a tug O' war between his employers and those trying to preserve a piece of real history.

The red brick edifice had been built so that the black members of the community could have a place to worship well over a hundred years ago. It was a true landmark that deserved to be standing as a reminder of what had been. It was inconceivable that it could be torn down. The sheer number of signatures they had gotten on various petitions, the protests, and the constant articles explaining why the old church was important seemed more than adequate to ensure that Rawlings would not obtain the property without a major black eye in the press. It would take an act of God to change that . . . or someone who thought he was.

Elijah suddenly suspected he knew how all of this had come about. The Preacher-man wanted him to disappear so Lilith would have no safe haven or friend. He makes a deal to deliver this much sought after piece of real estate and in exchange Eli gets transferred to somewhere far away from here. The problem was, he hadn't taken the deal and wasn't on any disciplinary action. That had to have been why Floyd couldn't look him in the eye and why he had been so angry. He had won this battle, but Eli had to wonder how many more there would be and what sort of price he might be forced to pay.

Elijah got into his car and drove, but not to the bar to pick up Lilith, rather someplace where he could think. A lot of things were going through his mind and he needed to sort them out. He was a pawn on a chessboard and he needed to choose his every move carefully. He knew for a fact that Levi Sethos had ordered someone to sneak into his garage and slash his bike tires. He suspected that the Preacher-man had made a backroom deal with the big bosses of Rawlings that would give them the historic church in exchange for getting him out of the way. That one didn't work so well.

What was next? Would hired thugs show up at his parent's home and threaten them? What about his friends? Protecting them meant walking away from Lilith and he wasn't sure he could do it. She had no one and he had seen enough to know that if the Preacher-man got his hands on her, she would die. Perhaps not physically, but certainly in every other way possible. There was a part of him that whispered in his ear that it really wasn't his problem, but his conscience was louder. He couldn't turn his back. If something happened to her then he knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers