The Feast of The Tail Ch. 10

Story Info
Queen Tiye suggests that Prince Djhutmose marries his sister.
3k words
3.8
3.1k
8

Part 10 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 06/02/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Thaiga
Thaiga
57 Followers

The Queen usually came to the temple of Sobek as the first flowers of dawn bloomed across the skies. It was her daily ritual, the same every morning when she was staying at The House of Rejoicing, but she was not on the west bank today, she was east of the river. So instead she decided to visit the temple of Mut, the mother goddess, at the temple complex of Karnak.

Tiye had not overindulged with irep in the night. She kept her wits about her. Oh indeed, she had 'drank' many glasses of 'wine' which were actually sweet shedeh, while the nobles loosened their tongues and spilled their secrets. She awoke as soons as Ra began to sail his solar barque across the skies, there was work to be done. Her ladies had washed her, oiled her, covered her in myrrh. She dressed in white linen, her wig placed gently on her head, heavy and regal. The Queen was carried to the temple. Between the palace and the temple her feet would not touch the ground. She was accompanied by Huya, her steward and most faithful servant.

In her heart she had a plea for the goddess: help me as a mother. Open my eye. Guide my hand.

When Tiye arrived the priestesses bowed their heads, bowed them low. None dared meet her eyes. The Queen was short, but all the world seemed to bend to her will, and even the tallest around her seemed shorter.

"Em hotep nefer weret, nebeti." The women echoed one another as they welcomed their noble lady before leaving her to her private worship. Huya also stood behind, allowing the Queen some privacy.

As the Queen lit solar kyphi under the statue of Mut in one of the inner sanctums she asked the goddess for peace. Peace for Sitamun. Peace for herself. A balm to cool the embers within. She prayed for blessings for all her children. She thought of Isis and her strong will. She thought of Djhutmose, his destiny to become Pharaoh, his womanising, his wife back in Memphis, and their young son Smenkhare. How neglected that poor boy was, living so far away from most of his family. Tiye sighed and took a deep breath. It was not abnormal for a man of his age to be inattentive with their first child. Djhuti's first wife, Amunet, was of no real importance. She was of royal blood, a daughter of the Pharaoh's half sister Petepihu, royal enough to make official, but not royal enough to make her his Great Wife. Tiye had chosen to marry Djhuti to his cousin, hoping it would slake his thirst, cool his lust. She had eyes in her head and ears all around the Nile. She knew how her son carried on with women, noblemen's wives, concubines, priestesses, even slaves. Isis had been too young to marry to her brother back then, but the time was approaching, she was nearly ready. And perhaps, Tiye thought to herself, Isis would be the only one who could calm him. The wife makes the Pharaoh. Djhutmose would need a strong woman at his side to support him through all that was to come. Tiye uttered her prayers to the Mother, her breath curled the incense smoke skywards.

When she was ready she called Huya to summon her oldest son.

Djhutmose arrived promptly.

He smiled warmly and came to embrace her, "Em hotep, mother." But she responded with unusual stiffness. "What is wrong?"

The Queen addressed him as soon as their attendants were out of earshot.

"You are aware, are you not, of the responsibilities of being Pharaoh?"

"Of course I am."

"Then I ask myself, why do you continue to act like a child in play?" She asked as his smile dropped.

"I am co-regent now, how can you speak to me so?" Djhutmose began to protest.

"I am still your mother." She did not raise her voice, but it carried an unspoken challenge.

He was silenced.

"It was Hotep who entertained our guest last night," she continued, "while you drank and danced. You and Isis continually shirk your duties, but at least she takes her divination seriously. She honours the Gods. When will you realise your destiny? When will you take hold of it? Were you not named after the god of wisdom? You were so named in the hope you would become wise."

"Not wise? Am I not the Director of the Craftsmen? Am I not a High Priest of Ptah? Do I not have the respect of all of Egypt?" He argued.

"Your charm has gotten you far. It is true you have had success in the north, but I see through you. I know you. You are my son. You care not for the work you have been given. You only wish to enjoy your life. You have always been good humored, the joker among your peers, you have never been truly serious."

"Oh, so you wish I were like Hotep, staying inside all day with my elders, shy and shrinking. Or perhaps you wish I were like Sita, without feeling, without passion."

"Sitamun takes her duties seriously. She feels. The difference is she puts family first, always." The Queen snapped.

"And so do I!" Djhuti shouted. "Have I not loved my brother? Do I not love my sisters? When have I not been good to you, or to father?"

"Love, yes you have it. Your heart is full. But you have not grown up. When do you go beyond the bare minimum? When do you rise to your duty? You are too used to riches, to luxury, to pleasure. While you lead the priests of the temple in the day you frequent the brothels in the night, and not the reputable kind, so I hear."

"Mother, I-"

"I don't wish to know of it. Things are changed. Your father has made you co-regent, and about time too. Which means you no longer have that luxury, you can no longer think only of yourself. Speaking of which, how is Smenkhare?" She looked down at him, somehow, almost impossibly, in spite of their height difference.

"He is well." He said flatly.

Tiye waited a moment, expecting more details to follow, but none came. "Is that all you have to say?"

"What is there to say? He is a boy. He plays. I bought him a falcon. He teaches it. His mother tends to him."

"And you think it right to play such a small part in his life?"

"I am busy, mother. You know this. It was you, through father, who gave me so many titles. I am stretched too thin as it is, every day people expect me to oversee works, open temples, mediate disputes on top of my normal duties. When so many people hang upon me, how can I tend to Smenkhare? You say this to me as though father makes time for all his children. How often does he see Tatau, Henutiunu, Meritptah, Sithori or Wiay?"

"They are lesser children." She said bluntly.

"You yourself told me you expected me to make a better match." He raised his voice. "You are the one who said I should not make Amunet my Great Wife. You are the one who told me you didn't want her sons to sit the throne. Should I pour all my love then, into her lesser children?"

"Be silent." She raised her palm to stop his words. The Queen regretted raising her voice beside the statue of Mut, but she reasoned that of all the goddesses she would understand a mother's struggle with her children the most. "Perhaps I have made an error. Perhaps I have not been clear, but let me be clear now. If you beget no sons by your Great Wife, your daughters will marry Smenkhare and he will be Pharaoh after you. You have a duty to teach him, to prepare him, for every eventuality. Will you do this?" She asked, more gently.

"Yes, mother. I see the wisdom in it. But be sure of this, I will sire many sons by my Great Wife, and many daughters. You needn't worry." Djhutmose softened a little at her admission, he knew his mother worried too much, he knew how proud she was and how little she owned to any mistakes and he gently laid his hand on her shoulder.

"The path ahead is never clear. You must ready yourself for every eventuality." She smiled a little and sighed, "Another thing, you have neglected matters of the spirit, and perhaps you have been busy. But you cannot neglect this any longer. To be Pharaoh is to be the bridge, between the divine and the mortal, between the Neteru and the Egyptian people, you stand between them both neither one nor the other. As Pharaoh you become High Priest of every temple. You will be the one to enter the innermost sanctum. You will stand in the holiest of holies. And you will be the one to speak directly to the Gods and hear them speak back to you."

Djhutmose hung his head as though the weight of the two crowns was already upon it.

"Oh Djhuti," Tiye murmured softly, "I am only saying these things because I know how heavy the burden can be. Before you wear the crown, I want you to be ready, although I know that to be impossible. My heart is full of love for you, my son." She gently stroked his cheek.

"As mine is for you, mother." He replied as he pressed her hand to his face.

"Yesterday your father raised the djed pillar at the festival. Tell me the importance of the djed."

"Why are you asking me like you don't already know? You know that I know the meaning, and I know you know it."

"Speak of it to me now."

He huffed. "The djed represents Pharaoh, because it symbolises the salt cedar tree in which Isis hid the body of Osiris before resurrecting him. The four lines across the pillar represent the four planes of existence: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. The pillar also represents strength, it is the backbone of society, it is the structural support for the temples, it is the path for the ka to ascend to the heavens, from root to crown. It is the representation of Pharaoh's virility. Father raised it yesterday to restore his virility and prove he is worthy to rule."

"Yes, all this is correct," Tiye nodded approvingly, she turned away from him and gazed upon the face of the statue beside them before speaking again, "the djed is the physical body that contains the ka of life, the light of Ra. The salt cedar, the djed, the spinal column, the body of Osiris. In these life and death are intertwined. Life comes out of death. The body of Pharaoh is a human body that contains a living God who stands on earth among mortals." She turned to face her son again. "When you raise the djed column at your coronation, you will become God. If you do not prepare your ka, you will fail, and your rule will not last long. The greatest kings in history are the ones who build upon what has come before, improve it, envision it as even grander than the visions of those that came before. What is your vision? When your time comes, will you become the pillar of society? Will your structures support what comes after us? What will your legacy be? Will your reign be greater than that of your father's? Will you be remembered always or fade into dust?" Her dark eyes seemed to look into his soul, and see right through it. Djhuti couldn't hold her gaze and let his eyes drop to the stone floor, as he became lost in thought.

The Queen's words had ignited a fire within him. He thought of how great his father's reign had been. Amenhotep the Magnificent, Nebmaatre Amenhotep-Heqawaset, Kanakhte-Khaemmaat, Semenhepu-Segerehtawy, Aakhepesh-Husetiu. The ruler of endless wealth, the most powerful, the most beloved. Djhutmose knew he had a lot to live up to, but he intended to be greater than his father, so much so that Amenhotep III would only be remembered because he was the father of Djhutmose the Great.

"A great Pharaoh needs a great wife." Tiye finally said as Djhutmose raised his eyes to meet hers questioningly. "Have you thought of this matter?"

"Yes." He replied. In his mind there was only one person who he wanted by his side: Isis.

"And?"

"I want a woman by my side who is as noble, beautiful, and dignified as yourself, mother. All around you bend to your will. You are otherworldly. Celestial. Loved and respected by all." He smiled broadly.

"You are too charming for your own good." She said as she tried to hide a smile. "I want you to be able to marry for love, as we did. But you must have someone at your side who is strong and noble," Tiye paused a moment, trying to glean his emotions, "How would you feel about Isis by your side?"

Djhutmose raised his eyebrows in surprise, he had not expected it to be so easy. The idea of Isis by his side flowed into his heart like milk and honey. He was elated, his heart soared, pounding in his chest, but he tried to suppress his joy in front of his mother. It made sense, politically, but he still hadn't expected it. "It would bring peace to my heart to call Isis sister."

"Good." Tiye did not miss the happiness that flashed across his face. "Isis needs someone she respects to call brother. She can be quite wild sometimes. I will make the arrangements. We will have to wait to announce it, so soon after Sitamun's marriage and your elevation to co-regent, but you may court her, charm her, ask for her hand in whatever way you choose. But she must consent to the match."

"Of course. I would have it no other way."

"I believe in you, Djhuti." Tiye said seriously, firmly, her words full of love. "I know you were destined for greatness, but you must apply yourself. When you do you may live up to Thoth and be a master of wisdom and spiritual enlightenment. Then you may lead others along the path to greatness."

"I will mother. I will be great, you shall see. I will make you proud."

She embraced him and kissed his forehead as he bent down, down, down, to return her embrace.

"I know you will. You may go now." She dismissed him. He nodded once and left the temple the way he came.

After he had disappeared from her sight she called out to Huy, who appeared from behind one of the pillars. "Yes, nebeti?" He replied. "Did it go well?"

"Yes, I think so. I have planted the seed of thought within him." She replied as they began to walk out of the temple, passing the smooth stone columns and archways until they were out in the bright morning sun.

"How pleasing. So he will marry Isis?" He asked as he led the Queen to her litter, to be carried back to the palace.

"When the time comes, yes. My daughter will be at the temple of Isis for morning prayers, when she is finished with the High Priestess I want you to summon her. Bring her to me."

"Your wish is my command, nebeti."

Notes for this chapter on the ancient Egyptian language

Mut - The divine mother goddess whose name literally means mother in Ancient Egyptian. One of the primal deities associated with the primordial waters of Nu, from which the entire world was born. In some variations of the myths she gave birth miraculously, in others she is the wife of Amun-Ra.

Em hotep nefer weret, nebeti - Be in very great peace, lady.

Neteru - a collective term for the Gods and Goddesess of Ancient Egypt.

Nebmaatre - Meaning 'The Lord of Ma'at is Re'. The prenomen of Amenhotep III, otherwise known as the throne name. Similar to a regnal name. Egyptian Pharaohs had five names, or titles. It symbolised their power and also was a symbol of their intentions during their rule. The language and names used in the title was almost a form of magic, trying to bring into existence whatever their name declared was true. A sort of mission statement. These names could be changed during their rule. The royal titulary came into standard usage by the Middle Kingdom and remained in use during the Roman Empire.

Amenhotep-Heqawaset - Meaning 'Amun is Satisfied/Pleased - Ruler of Thebes'. The nomen of Amenhotep III. The nomen is the personal name given to an individual at birth, here it is followed by the title 'Ruler of Thebes'.

Kanakhte-Khaemmaat - Meaning 'Strong Bull, Appearing in Ma'at', the Horus name of Amenhotep III. Usually contained in a 'serekh', an early form of cartouche, actually predating the cartouche and used as a royal crest. A serekh was usually rectangular in shape rather than the oval of a cartouche.

Semenhepu-Segerehtawy - Meaning 'Establisher of Laws, Pacifier of the Two Lands', the Nebty name of Amenhotep III. Nebty meaning 'two ladies', always begins with the hieroglyphs of a vulture and a cobra, representing the two goddesses of the two crowns of Egypt. Nekhbet being the patron goddess of Upper Egypt, and Wadjet being the patron goddess of Lower Egypt. Together they represent the unity of two lands.

Aakhepesh-Husetiu - Meaning 'Great of Valour, Smiting the Asiatics', the Golden Horus name of Amenhotep III. Begins with the hieroglyph of a Horus falcon. Unsure of the meaning. It has been suggested that the Golden Horus name represents, with the colour gold, supremacy over others. Possible meaning of transforming into gold, spiritual ascension, becoming the enlightened spiritual and physical leader of the people.

Thoth - The ibis headed god of wisdom, the moon, learning, writing, mathematics, science and magic. He was the messenger of the gods and the 'teacher of teachers'. He was a god you would seek if you needed advice, and also gave counsel to the other gods of the pantheon. Known to the Greeks as Hermes. In some variations of myths he is considered a self created god. He is also known for his sense of humour, despite his serious appearance.

Thaiga
Thaiga
57 Followers