The Festival Ch. 03 - Conclusion

Story Info
Roland tries to save his friends from their own dark desires.
12.7k words
4.64
14.6k
12

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/21/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Again, I originally conceived "The Festival" to be a standalone story but the whole thing kind of grew on me a bit. I really started to get into the characters and felt the story needed a fitting conclusion so here it is for your consideration. I hope you enjoy it.

*****

Caleb reached up to pull down the visor on his truck cutting down the glare from the setting sun. He drove down the dirt road toward his home singing along to the radio and tapping his foot in time to the music. His old body was stiff and ached a bit, sitting all day at a table telling fortunes could be hard on a man getting up in years.

The truck wheezed a bit as it started up the steep slope of the driveway leading up to the front of his small country house. The truck, much like its owner, had seen better days. Pressing the emergency brake down to prevent his vehicle from making an unscheduled trip back down the hill without him Caleb stepped outside drinking in the cool evening air. He caught just a whiff of the smell of dinner coming from inside the house.

It had been a pretty good day at the festival, now in its fifth week, and he had turned a tidy profit from the gullibility of strangers. The gravel of the driveway crunched underfoot as he started walking toward the front porch, but he stopped suddenly halfway to the first step leading up to the door.

His head came around; something had grabbed at his attention, a swift movement in the corner of his eye.

"Who's there? Hello?" called Caleb to the darkness.

No sound came back to him except for the chirping of crickets and the distant rumble of a train in the direction of the nearby town where he and his wife sometimes shopped. Turning back toward the house Caleb was prepared to shrug off the feeling, his stomach rumbled, and he was ready for some grub and a good nights sleep. He lifted one foot when a sharp chill shot up his back and an all too familiar presence appeared right in front of him.

Caleb sucked in his breath as the dark shape coalesced in his path. It was indistinct, like a piece of the night had broken away and formed a slightly darker space apart from itself, just a bit of movement as it seemed to sway slightly back and forth.

"What do you want now?" said Caleb with a hint of weariness in his voice.

If this apparition replied it was in a voice only Caleb could hear because no sound joined the others.

"I gave you what you wanted isn't that enough?" asked Caleb, frustration evident in his face.

Once again there was no audible sound from the dark shape, but Caleb's face fell, and his eyes squinted with angry tension.

"No! That boy has done enough, I won't take from him anymore," said Caleb.

Caleb took a hasty step back as the dark shape swelled in size towering over him. The air crackled with tension.

"I know what I owe I haven't forgotten," said the old Gypsy solemnly. He lowered his eye to the ground.

"I'll see you get what you need, soon, just be patient," whispered Caleb.

"Caleb? Who are you talking too?" came his wife's voice.

The tension in the air faded as Caleb raised his head to see his wife standing on the edge of the porch, her face showing a look of concern. His eyes darted around but of the dark shape that a moment before had almost blotted out the night sky there was no sign.

"No one Dear, just muttering to myself, we old men do that from time to time," said Caleb with a forced chuckle.

"Well then get your senile ass in this house and have some supper. I didn't slave over this stove for nothing," she said, turning on her heel and walking back inside.

Climbing the steps Caleb paused at the top and looked back into the forest watching the trees move slowly with the first stiff breeze of the evening. He thought for just a moment he caught a hint of something darker moving at the edge of the tree line, but he couldn't be sure.

"Please, let this be the last time," whispered Caleb, before he too walked into the house.

THE PETER'S HOUSE -

"Roland! Your Mom is supposed to be home any minute, don't start something we can't finish," said Patty Gentry as she pulled free from her boyfriend's clutches. Roland took a step back an abashed look covering his features like a little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"Gosh, Patty, I can't help it if you're so freaking cute," said Roland smiling as he moved in again trying to embrace her and extract a kiss or three. Preferably a situation that would escalate into some serious bedroom gymnastics.

"Besides my Mom drives like a snail she probably won't be here for hours," Roland began, only to have his words cut short by the ringing of the doorbell.

Patty raised one eyebrow in an "I told you so," look before walking to the door to answer it. The sudden babble of voices that caught Roland's attention indicated that his mother had not arrived alone. He followed in Patty's wake to the door pushing it open wider to reveal his Mother in the company of three other younger adults.

"Rollie! Look who decided to come back with me for a visit," said Roland's mother as she beamed at him from the porch.

Roland's face was lit by a smile of affection as he moved forward to embrace a tall male figure standing just behind his mother.

"Cousin Jason! It's so good to see you!" cried Roland with surprise.

Jason Peters was the only child of Roland's Aunt Gloria, his Mom's sister, a lean and athletic looking young man four years Roland's senior he stood several inches taller as well. His dark brown hair was combed straight back off his broad forehead and fell to the nape of his neck. His sharp features and forest green eyes gave him something of the appearance of a predatory bird yet he was handsome enough to have been voted Home Coming King his senior year of high school.

"Good to see you too, Rollie," said Jason as he clapped the smaller man on the back.

Just behind Jason stood two women who couldn't have been more different in appearance. The shorter of the two, who stepped around Jason for her hug, stood barely over five-foot tall with honey blond hair cut very short and parted on one side giving her a bit of a little boy aspect.

"Teresa!" said Roland as he greeted her warmly.

Teresa Butler had been Jason's girlfriend since high school, coming barely to his chest the two had made an adorable couple as they walked the hallways back then. Teresa had been a swimmer in school and still had a body made tight from laps across the pool. Though she wasn't big in the chest her perky breasts fit her stature perfectly and looked nice outlined against the silk blouse she wore.

Still feeling Teresa's warm body against his Roland's eyes fell on the last one in the group and he swallowed a little nervousness as he broke free to reach out toward her.

Kim LaFleur had been everyone's crush back in the day and the years had done nothing to dim that beauty. Teresa's best friend, the two had been inseparable since grade school. Kim's father was a French businessman who had met her mother while on a trip to Thailand. This gave Kim the advantage of mixed ancestry that had produced a perfect blend of the two cultures. Unlike many Asian women, Kim was tall missing six-feet by just an inch. She disdained makeup but didn't need it. Her skin was almost flawless with just a hint of light colored freckles on her upper cheeks and across the bridge of her nose. As her face broke into a smile revealing rows of perfect white teeth Roland couldn't help but admire her soft looking full lips that were a mocha color that matched her skin.

"Kim, it's been ages," said Roland, feeling her large, round breasts that neatly stretched the top of her t-shirt pressing into him as he hugged her.

"Rollie, you're looking good," said Kim, "Who's your friend?"

Roland turned to introduce Patty.

"Guys, this is Patty Gentry, my girlfriend," said Roland, still not used to calling her that but enjoying the sound of it.

Everyone took turns introducing themselves to Patty who smiled and was very gracious, afterward it was a bit of a mad scramble to find beds for everyone with Jason and Teresa getting the spare bedroom and Roland giving up his bed for Kim and taking the couch.

"So, trying to get away from the big city?" asked Roland, after they had all returned to the living room.

"Yeah, it's nice to get back to the country and see the old campus again," answered Jason.

"Your Mom was also telling us about this awesome Renaissance festival that you guys have, and we just had to check that out," added Teresa.

At the mention of the festival Roland's face darkened slightly, his own recent experience at the fair had been a mixed bag, to say the least, though the outcome had brought Patty wholeheartedly into his life and for that he was grateful.

"You kids would have such a lovely time there, I'm sure Roland and Patty would love to take you," interjected Roland's Mother.

Roland nodded reluctantly but tried not to sour the evening by openly criticizing the fair. He did try to change the subject.

"You know after that long drive you guys must need to stretch your legs. How about we hit the pool?" suggested Roland.

"Awesome idea!" replied Teresa, jumping at the chance to be in the water.

"You think you would have had enough of being in a pool after all those swim meets in high school," commented Kim with a laugh.

"I can't help it if I was born to swim, maybe I'm part fish," said Teresa.

"Not the good parts thankfully," chimed in Jason who took a shot in the ribs courtesy of his girlfriend's elbow.

The group broke up with everyone going to get into their bathing suits. Patty had taken to keeping an extra outfit there in case her and Roland wanted to use the pool. In no time she was dressed in a green one-piece suit that nicely set off the Auburn hair that fell across her shoulders. She made her way to the edge of the pool where Teresa was lounging with her short legs dangling into the water.

Teresa was wearing a yellow bikini showing off her athletic body, and her stomach was as flat as a board making her perky breasts stand out even more. Patty took a seat next to her, out in the pool Roland and Jason were tossing a beach ball back and forth.

"The waters a little chilly," said Patty as she dropped her legs over the edge and shuddered.

"Yeah, I am taking this a little at a time," said Teresa with a smile.

The sound of the back door closing brought their heads around, and Patty felt an instant wave of jealousy pass through her as Kim joined them poolside. The suit Kim was wearing hugged her perfect body, the bikini top was snow white and contrasted perfectly with her dark skin while it tried to contain her ample breasts. The lower half of the outfit was white and black striped and looked as if it were painted on her tight ass. Her long legs were flawless as she stepped to the side of the pool, and ignoring any need for a moment to acclimate dove straight into the water.

"Wow, she looks like an Asian goddess," said Patty quietly.

Teresa chuckled,"Yeah, Kim can turn a guys head, but she is totally into her work. She hardly ever dates, and most guys won't ask her out anyway their too intimidated."

"I think I would want to keep my boyfriend as far away from her as possible," laughed Patty, only half joking though, as she noticed that Roland was having a hard time not starring at Kim as she emerged into the shallow end to join he and Jason.

"I have no worries with Jason and Kim, we've known each other forever, and he is as loyal as a puppy dog," remarked Teresa with a nod in her boyfriend's direction.

Teresa pushed off the side and slipped into the water quickly showing off a perfect stroke as she made her way across the pool. Patty watched her swim away and started to move into the water herself with one last glance at Kim.

"I would still keep an eye on her," thought Patty, as she pushed off.

A GOOD DAY FOR A FESTIVAL -

The next day dawned overcast, and Jason feared that they might have to postpone their trip to the fair, a possibility that didn't bother Roland in the least, but by the time they had finished breakfast the clouds had started to break up. The five of them fit comfortably into Jason's large SUV, and they headed off to the fair with loud rock music blasting from the stereo system.

"Can you take that down a notch your going to make us deaf back here," shouted Kim, trying to be heard over the blistering guitar solo that was currently echoing around the vehicle.

"Sorry folks, sold my soul to rock and roll," said Jason with a smile as he turned down the music slightly.

They ate up the miles to the accompaniment of several classic rockers before they, at last, pulled into the parking lot at the Medieval festival.

"Hell! This place is so awesome," said Jason admiring the decorations and scenery designed to make the entrance look like an ancient castle.

The group bought tickets and headed into the grounds, almost immediately Teresa made a beeline for the long rows of shops and booths selling jewelry and assorted period clothing, Kim followed more sedately in her wake smiling at her friend's exuberance.

"Look, Kim, I'm a princess!" said Teresa as she modeled a sterling silver tiara.

"It suits you," said Patty admiringly. It struck her that Teresa looked a bit like her old college roommate Pam Carpenter.

Their freshman year her and Pam had been quite the hell raisers around campus, but eventually, Patty had settled down to try to earn a degree while Pam continued to spin out of control. Pam dropped out halfway through their second year, and she had never heard from her again. Patty had been disappointed for a while after, she and Pam had gotten very close that first year, both of them alone and uncertain in a new place they had naturally gravitated toward each other. There had even been one night, after quite a few drinks, when things had gotten a bit physical between the two of them. It had never gone any further, at least Patty hadn't pursued it after though it had left her confused about what she was looking for in a partner for a time.

"Here, Patty, I got you a lemonade," came Roland's voice as he walked up to her with Jason in tow.

"That was thoughtful. Thank you," said Patty taking the offered cup. At least now she was sure what she wanted, and Roland was a great boyfriend.

"You ladies want to head over to the arena? I think there is a joust or something," said Jason as he sipped at a cup of warm mulled wine.

"I think you guys should see the jousting, we saw it our first time out here, and it was pretty cool. Right, Rollie?" added Patty.

Roland didn't comment immediately, the arena put them close to the Gypsy caravan, and he had hoped to give that place a wide berth.

"Yeah, pretty cool," he said without much excitement in his voice.

The five of them grouped up again and walked over to the arena where they spent the next hour cheering on the pretend knights. When the champion was finally crowned they went to seek new entertainment, and to Roland's discomfort, the girls noticed the Gypsies.

"Hey! Fortunetellers! I want to see what the future holds. Like how big our wedding is going to be," said Teresa winking at Jason.

He made a face as he replied,"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, plenty of time for weddings and stuff."

"What's wrong? Don't want to make an honest woman out of me?" asked Teresa with a pretend pout.

"Oh don't you worry, I'll have you barefoot and pregnant in no time flat," said Jason grinning.

"So much for feminism," said Kim.

Roland fell in behind the group as they made their way to the caravan, but as they came nearer to the wagons he realized that there was no sign of Caleb, in his place a younger gentleman was telling fortunes. Feeling a little better about things Roland stood aside while the others had their fortunes told.

"Not interested in what the future holds Rollie?" asked Jason.

"I've had my fortune told before, once was enough believe me," said Roland.

The girls returned laughing from the wagon.

"What a bunch of crap, he said I'm going to be a model and my face will be seen by millions," said Kim with a toss of her thick hair.

"Well, you do have the looks for it, take it as a compliment," said Jason.

Kim shook her head and walked off. She hated having her looks be the focus, she had been battling that stereotype for years.

It was starting to get late, and everyone was a bit fatigued from all the walking when they started back toward the entrance. The group was on the far side of the fair in an area of gardens and walking trails away from the main shops and stages. Roland was checking his cell phone when he heard Jason bring them to a halt.

"Hey! What is this over here?" Jason asked even as he moved off the path.

Roland looked up from his cellphone. Just a short distance away was a booth he had never noticed before. It was set up in front of what looked like the entrance to a cave. As the group got closer, Roland could see a stooped figure sitting in a chair at the edge of the booth. He looked up at the sound of their footsteps.

"Good day folks! How are we all?" asked Caleb as he pushed his hat onto the back of his head.

Roland froze at the sight of the mysterious Gypsy who had been the source of many of his more unsettling experiences lately.

"What attraction is this, some kind of haunted cave or something?" asked Teresa as her eyes scanned the guidebook for the fair.

"No, this is a new attraction, something we just started this year. I call it "The Cave of Truths," said Caleb dramatically.

"What sort of truths are we expected to find?" said Jason.

"Well, that depends on what your hiding deep inside. This cave will find your most hidden desires and make it so that you can't help but act on them!" explained Caleb.

"Bullshit!" laughed Jason almost snorting.

"This is even sillier than the fortune tellers," said Kim dismissively.

"Yeah, let's just go," said Roland, not wanting to have anything to do with whatever was in that cave.

"I see, fear of our secret desires often makes cowards of us all," said Caleb leaning back in his chair.

"I'm not afraid, a bunch of crap, but I'm not afraid. Let's go," said Jason reaching for his wallet.

Teresa shrugged and moved closer to Jason as he counted out the entrance fee, she glanced over at Kim who rolled her eyes but walked over to stand by them. Patty started forward when Roland spoke up.

"I think we should just go. It's getting late right?" he said his voice shaking a bit.

"This won't take long Rollie, we will leave right after," answered Jason.

Roland stepped closer to Patty, "I don't think this is a good idea, Patty,"

"It's just a silly tourist attraction Sweetie, stick by me if you're scared," she replied in a teasing tone.

Roland wanted to interject, searching for an argument that would bring everyone away from the cave. Preferably one that didn't include weird Gypsy amulets and illicit sex, but they were already moving, and he felt he had no choice as he fell in next to Patty.

The opening was lined with torches that were regularly spaced in s straight line back from the entrance and seemed to continue for quite a distance off into the darkness. Jason had taken the lead holding Teresa's hand with Kim close behind them and Patty and Roland bringing up the rear. Their footsteps echoed off the dank cave walls as they made their way forward, they had walked for several minutes but encountered nothing but more tunnel.

"This is stupid. What a waste of money. Guess you were right Rollie, lets head back," said Jason in disgust as he prepared to turn around.

Roland was just feeling a sense of relief when the lights went dark. The torches just seemed to wink out all at once as if they had been dipped in water, their flickering fires smothered. A strong wind suddenly started to pelt the group blowing so hard that Roland had to lean forward to stay upright.