The Florist

Story Info
Can a person, torn between duty and desire, find happiness?
31.4k words
4.63
2.1k
4
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PygmyCoho
PygmyCoho
382 Followers

The Florist

By PygmyCoho ©

This tale is set at a different time and a different place, in a simple pre-industrial culture. This could cause some confusion, so...

Time is signaled by bell tolls--twenty "bells" a day (one day is an "all-bell" or "alls"). Morning counts to "ten-bell" (which is equivalent to noon); afternoons/evening might be "ten-three" or the "ten-eight bell." Weeks are "8 all-bells," "8-alls."

"Moons" are twenty-four-day months and fourteen of them make up one year (a "fourteen-moon" or "fourteens"). Time may be stated as "20 fourteens, 5 moons," or simply "20 fourteens, 5."

Currency is "bloch." Distance is in "remin" (meters) or "spralls" (kilometers), though neither is an exact equivalent measurement.

Oh, and all characters engage in sexual relations are older than 19 fourteens, 8 (18 years old).

I hope that helps. Enjoy.

PC }:o)

Prologue-- The Road

I cannot blame her for leaving me--what woman could do otherwise? She had been cautioned about becoming joined to a Florist, after all. Perhaps that makes the loss all the sharper. For as long as I remain a Florist, what woman could possibly make peace with my calling?

So in a haze of anger, depression and self-loathing I packed a few cherished belongings, a bit of emergency bloch, and waited through the gloom for the two-bell. The bell strokes echoed away and all fell quiet again.

And just like that I slipped off to find another life in another township. Someplace where no one knew of me or what I did. Someplace that would allow me to have a life of my choosing. And with a little luck I might find the person I longed for who would share it with me.

* * * * * * *

My new life had made me happier than I had been for a very long time. I rented a small domicile near the cliffs in Gatekey. In the morning swirls of bats returned to roost. Flocks of small birds teemed from different portions of the same cliff as they sought their morning meals. I marveled at their abilities to avoid aerial accidents each morn at first feed.

I found work as an apprentice in a glasstern foundry known for its artistry. Under the tutelage of my mentor I trained in the arts. More than once I was complimented on my handiwork. While I told no one of my training as a Florist, I secretly prided myself on being good with things under my hands. My extra fourteen-moons and experience helped, too.

Two vessels and one glasstern piece each eight-alls were mine, in addition to fair wages. I kept my favorite works and sold the others to supplement my income. That is how, after only seven moons at Gatekey, I found my savings growing once more. Soon I had near six hundred bloch, a small fortune that should, if my work ceased, keep me comfortable for five or six moons. With some sacrifice and austerity it might last for ten.

Around this time my Mentor summoned me.

"Dalian," he began, using the only name by which he knew me. "There is a trading craft gathering in Saob. Do you know of it?"

Saob was near my "old life," so of course I had heard of the gathering. I nodded.

"Have you attended?"

"No, but it is known for many townships in all directions. Only great artisans are invited to attend," I spoke, wanting to add a little to the conversation and, hopefully, guide us to another topic.

"Yes, quite right and we are attending this season's gathering."

"Congratulations! It is a great honor."

"Yes, it is. This House has been working toward this end for a very long time." I saw him studying me. "Several of the masters are taking pieces. We anticipate a total of three, perhaps four carts. I would like you go to along," Dactyon stated.

My mind swirled at the honor then began calculating the distance to my old township and the likelihood of meeting someone who knew me before. To be safe, I decided to decline. Besides, there were many younger apprentices to help the masters with the chores and tasks of a gathering.

"I am honored, sir, but I'm not sure I'm up to the trip. I, er, don't travel well." I wondered if the excuse sounded as thin to Dactyon's ears as it did to my own.

He smiled at me and explained, "Well, if you dislike travel I could certainly understand you not wanting to attend."

I began to relax...

"But if you are to exhibit your work you must be there."

"Er, excuse me, sir. What?"

"Yes, Dalian, we have chosen you to exhibit several items of your work. I believe the Guild has selected seven or eight pieces of yours." He beamed at delivering the news. "Congratulations, yourself, man. Well done!"

The shock on my face had to have been quite plain. I only hoped he misinterpreted the reason. Of course, there was no way I could refuse now.

I stood, shook his hands and muttered, "Thank you for this honor." Then I drifted through a fog of uncertainty and returned to my corner of the shop.

* * * * * * *

Every spare bell until the time of departure presented another opportunity to invent an excuse. But in the end I found myself in the second wagon of a four-cart train that jostled and bumped its way toward Saob.

We spent the night at a small roadside inn. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food and drink, but to my palate the tastes were bland. My mind invented wild scenarios that all ended with my former life being exposed.

I finally ended that line of thinking by reasoning that the odds of discovery were quite small. Too many unlikely occurrences would all have to take place almost at once. Despite clinging to my fierce rationalizations, though, my imagining kept telling me this was a dangerous endeavor.

We arrived late in the afternoon of the second all-bells. The weather and the roads combined to allow us to make good speed--seventy three spralls was no small distance in that time. The train halted and several artisans and apprentices disembarked. There arose a chorus of groans and a display of stretches and mild calisthenics as everyone worked the trip out of there sore bodies.

"I'll help stable the draught beasts," I volunteered. It seemed best to keep human contact to a minimum.

"Nonsense, Dalian," Horlam told me. He had been charged with the train and all in it. "There are more than enough stable hands to deal with that chore. Besides, my stomach tells me that it is time to dine." He turned and called down the line, "Stellan, where are we staying?"

"There," Stellan answered, gesturing to a side street at an inn that lay across the road two buildings down.

"Good! Lads and lasses, there lies home and hearth for the next five alls!" Horlem's enthusiasm was a strong counterpoint to my sour mood. I bit it back and rummaged for my satchel. Other artisans checked the trade pieces and gave instructions to the cart attendants as the rest of us made for the inn.

Five all-bells--my trepidation ran high.

* * * * * * *

The trade gathering went better than I could have hoped. Our wares were well-received and news of our artistry spread quickly. Pieces sold at a steady pace. By the end of the third alls we had been emptied of all but a few items. As I realized that all of my works had sold for handsome bloch, I felt proud.

I also felt relief. It looked as though we could leave a full all-bells early and my fears proved completely unfounded. No one knew me and I knew no one.

"Kelline?"

I spun around out of reflex before offering a doomed attempt to deny my former identity.

"I'm sorry, lady, but you must have me confused with--"

"Kelline, the Florist? Here?"

"No! No, that is, you must have me--"

Horlam was there at my side. "May I be of service, milady?"

"I am surprised to see a Florist within the ranks of artisans."

"A Florist? Who, Dalian, here?"

"Dalian? I don't know him by Dalian. I know him as Kelline, the Florist from Tsibili, gone these many moons without so much as a word."

I do not remember shying away or retreating, but I must have. Horlam had to turn around to look at me.

"Is there something you would like to tell me, Dalian? Or do we need to have this discussion in private? Milady, would you also please accompany us? I would like to understand all this better."

She bowed her head and followed Horlam. As did I.

He helped my accuser up the cart stairs then held the sash flap aside for the woman and myself. We received very different looks from the artisan as we entered, she and I. Horlam ducked through the partition and gave a meaningful glance to Stellan; the apprentice left us alone.

"I am Horlam, milady, in charge of this modest delegation. I have known Dalian for more than half a fourteen-moon and have come to regard him as a good and promising apprentice artisan. His pieces here sold well to acclaim. But, please, tell me how you know him?"

"My name is Herlesh. I travel as a midwife and herbalist in this territory. I know this man as Kelline. He was Florist for the village of Tsibili until seven or eight moon ago. One night he vanished without a word."

"I see. Dalian, does what Herlesh say hold any truth?" His gray eyes pierced me through.

I could no longer meet his withering stare. As my eyes dropped I gave a small nod.

Horlam sighed as he sat back. "I see... "

"You know the status of an accomplished Florist, sir?"

"Indeed."

"Then you can understand Tsibili's view on this matter?"

"Yes, but this man has pledged himself to our House for another four fourteen-moons."

"But, sir, surely--"

Horlam held up one large gnarled hand.

"Lady Herlesh, I think you have a valid argument. However, I must act in the best interest of my House." Herlesh began to protest; again, Horlam's paw rose to quiet her.

"I believe we are at a stalemate, you and I. Do you believe this situation merits decision by an arbiter?"

I could do nothing but watch these two decide my fate as though I was not even in the same space with them.

Herlesh sat up straighter and placed her hands in her lap. Her face softened and she nodded. "Yes, that sounds wise, sir."

"Thank you, milady. Then it is agreed."

At last, and all too soon, Horlam turned to me and his polite expression hardened. "And how shall I address you, sir?"

I was too mortified to answer.

* * * * * * *

The arbiter heard both arguments. As this was a most unusual case (in fact, the first of its kind that anyone could recall), the arbiter ultimately came to an equally unique and yet-to-fore unheard of decision. I was to fulfill both my obligation to Tsibili and to my Guild, swapping between them every two eight-alls. That would in effect double the fourteens of my commitment to both. But given the option of penal camp it seemed the less objectionable course.

I felt the ripe fool and, more than once, wondered what I had been thinking...

Chapter 1-- Saliana

On my first arbiter-mandated eight-all in Tsibili I was introduced to Saliana, a beautiful woman with long, straight henna locks that shimmered copper in sunlight. At a mere 20-fourteens, she bore the slight figure of athletic youth. Her blue eyes maintained an almost perpetual smile whether her mouth sported its dimpled grin or not. We sat for the initial interview with her mother. Her father could not leave his work.

"So, Saliana," I began, "Tell me of your situation and your needs, please."

"Well, Florist Kelline, I have only just been betrothed and in discussions with Fralto--"

"--Her fiancé," Tallani, the mother, interrupted.

I nodded.

Saliana continued, "We have been most interested in matters of the lips and tongue."

"I see."

"And it is our hope that you will be able to educate me in these ways."

My eyes flickered across her mouth and dipped to her lap. I nodded again.

"Now I use oatwort, as most in my profession. It has several properties; the most important to you is that it is a very powerful pregnancy inhibitor. When used properly, it is almost completely effective."

"That is fine. I am at very low risk for the next several alls, and I am not overly interested in the full mating act. Lips and tongue will be most satisfactory, if you agree."

This young woman certainly had poise. "Yes, Saliana. You should also know that my main training has been in the 'sprinkling rain' school. Is that acceptable?"

She began to nod when Tallani cut in once more.

"It is common knowledge that you recently turned your back on this important and solemn duty. Why should we believe that you will commit your best efforts to Saliana?"

I met her gaze with a steady one of my own before I answered her.

"Once I enter into an agreement such as the one I am promising to Saliana--" I glanced at the younger woman and saw her coy smile, "--I become fully committed. Her wellbeing comes before even my own."

"Oh, please! That is what you would be expected to say. And flattering my daughter to get her to take your side is despicable. You--"

I cut her off. "This has always been the way of things and remains so now. My desires and wishes short of that goal, or otherwise divergent, have no meaning." My voice rose. "If that promise is not good enough then I suggest you leave."

She sat back, startled. "You know the nearest Florist is three villages away. That must be thirty spralls."

"Thirty two. Your point?"

"We have no cart. We..." Tallani fell silent.

In a quieter voice, I told her, "This agreement is between Saliana and me. You may advise her, of course, based upon what you know of me, my reputation, and this meeting. But the decision is hers alone."

After fixing Tallani for several heavy heartbeats I noticed her face soften. I looked to Saliana and caught the tiniest smirk before her guileless smile returned.

"You are highly recommended, Kelline, and are my first choice. I would like to continue." She turned and placed a hand on her mother's. "It will be all right, mother. Please trust me in this matter."

What lingering doubt or anger Tallani still harbored slipped from her in that intimate touch. She sighed and gave a small bob of her head.

"Very well. Thank you both for your faith in me."

"Oh, and I have already made the normal preparations," she admitted.

"Excellent," I told her.

Saliana, asked, "When might we begin?"

"It is your choice. I would be available as early as this evening. I will need to return to Gatekey in six all-bells, so any time before that is convenient for me. It is entirely up to you."

Saliana looked at Tallani who shrugged. The young woman turned to me. "This evening would be just fine."

"Very well. Shall we meet here at the ten-seven bell?"

"Perfect. Thank you, Kelline. I will see you then." Saliana appeared as if an afterthought occurred to her. "Is there anything further I must do now?"

"Nothing special. Just relax and be comfortable. I promise to take good care of you and your needs. But, yes, how forgetful of me; do you have a favorite meal?"

She smiled. "I, er--"

"Saliana adores my tuber stew with game sparrows and lemon cress," Tallani offered in the gentlest voice I had heard her use.

"With cocoa crème dessert?"

"It sounds wonderful. You may plan on that this evening, Saliana. And thank you for the delicious menu suggestion, Tallani." Both women smiled and bobbed their heads in respectful departure salute. I escorted them to the door.

After they left I sighed and got myself ready to visit the market. My promise to Tallani was not simple bravado--despite wanting my own life choices I took my responsibilities as a Florist very seriously. For as odd as it sounds, that is why I had run from those responsibilities. I could not perform them half-way. I had to use all of my energy or none at all--there was no middle ground. From now until Saliana and I were completed, my total focus was to be on her.

* * * * * * *

"Welcome, Saliana. You look absolutely beautiful." Her long hair had been swept up and gathered, and smoky shadow accentuated her pretty eyes.

She blushed as she murmured with her glistening smile, "Thank you, Kelline. You honor me. Oh," she blurted catching the scent of our meal on the air, "that smells just like my mother's stew."

"Now you honor me. Please, come in and be comfortable."

"Thank you."

As I stood aside to let her enter, she stretched upward and kissed my cheek. In that instant I caught the enticing scent of a woman's pheromones.

Perhaps it was my training, or perhaps her beauty, or perhaps the redosing of oatwort over the last few moon. Perhaps it was even some combination of them all. But whatever the cause, her lips left my skin afire. Suddenly the idea of guiding her became paramount.

As I ushered her into the sitting room for the second time, I took her shawl and paid her much attention. We chatted about her education, the dreams for her future, life with her parents and how she foresaw the changes that marrying Fralto would bring.

The conversation turned as Saliana showed an interest in me. She wanted to know of Gatekey, and how the trade gathering had gone. She asked me how I could be a Florist and an apprentice artisan as well.

"Doesn't it get... confusing?"

"No," I laughed with good nature. "Believe it or not, there are many similarities. I could show you if you are interested."

"I would like that."

"All right. But for now I am reasonably certain that our supper is ready. Are you of appetite?"

"Mmm, yes. As a matter of fact I'm famished."

I stood and held a hand out to her. "Would you dine with me, then, Lady Saliana?"

"Of course, Kelline. Please lead me, as I hope you shall for all of our evening." Her face shone with a radiant and happy anticipation and, perhaps, a light blush at our formalities. For the first of many times that evening I truly envied Fralto

I seated her and served our meals. The firelight played across her face and shoulders, brought out the red sun-streaks in her hair and glittered in her aquamarine eyes.

Saliana was delightful company. Well-educated and well-spoken, she conversed beautifully. Her manners proved exemplary and she seemed to enjoy the stew. Her demeanor became more flirtatious as the fire aged into embers.

We lingered over our cocoa crème. It became plain that Saliana's breathing had changed and her pupils had widened. She licked her flushed lips more often than the dessert alone would merit. By the time the last spoonful of crème disappeared I knew my lovely companion had achieved the perfect mood.

"Shall we retire?"

"But shouldn't we tend to the dishes?"

I smiled at her thoughtfulness. "No, Saliana, they can be left for tomorrow. This night is yours."

I stood and offered my hand once more. She rose, graceful as a waterbird, and allowed me to pull her to my body. Her eyes met mine. In that open gaze I read her acceptance, her eagerness, her desire. I caught her staring at my lips until I grinned. She looked into my eyes again.

Her arms went round my neck and she stretched to meet my kiss. I brushed her lips with the delicacy she deserved and she sighed. Her breath in my mouth felt warm and sweet, and her tender, needy whimper sounded musical.

We kissed like that for a long quarter-bell. At first she appeared perfectly content to hang onto my neck. But as my hands stroked and explored her shoulders, the curve of her back and her narrow hips she became more responsive. Soon her hands moved across my body as well.

My fingers found the buttons that ran down the back of her dress in a line from her neck to her waist. I began opening them one by one as my lips and tongue moved to her cheek then her throat. She sighed and her fingers tangled in my hair. She guided me as my button-journey continued. When each one opened in turn, Saliana would emit a tiny, sensuous noise - half whimper, half chirp.

PygmyCoho
PygmyCoho
382 Followers
123456...9