The Four Boxes of Liberty Ch. 01

Story Info
The Team investigates a shooting incident.
13.7k words
4.8
10.8k
10

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 03/04/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 1 - Prologue - Morning Coffee

""We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."

------ most recently attributed to U.S. Rep. Larry McDonald (1935-1983), who was aboard KAL007 when it was shot down by the Soviet Union.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, October 22d, from in front of City Hall. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the outrage over Commander Donald Troy's controversial speech at the Republican rally last Friday night!"

Bettina: "Town Assemblyman Eldrick X. Weaver, candidate for Mayor, blasted Commander Troy for calling Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. a Guardian of Justice, saying that this proves that Commander Troy is tone-deaf to racial issues and the plight of oppressed minorities. Mr.Weaver took the pledge called upon by KXTC to promISC to fire Commander Troy when Mr. Weaver is elected Mayor."

More Bettina: "And candidate for Sheriff Della Harlow blasted Commander Troy's speech as being 'mean-spirited towards women who are victims of sexual abuse'. Ms. Harlow said that Commander Troy has abused his authority as a Police Officer and State SBI Agent by harassing women who have made credible claims of sexual harassment against Republicans Daniel Allgood and Val Jared. Ms. Harlow demanded the current Town & County Council suspend Commander Troy immediately, and begin the process of firing him."

Even more Bettina: "Asked for comment, the FBI said that Commander Troy was speaking in general terms about Guardians of Justice, and not the shadowy hacker group that has been labeled a domestic terror group by the NSA. Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone confirmed that the FBI investigated the possibility that Commander Troy was involved with the group, but quickly exonerated Commander Troy of any connection to them. Special Agent in Charge Muscone also said he believes the cyber-terrorist group that calls themselves the Guardians of Justice may have disbanded after a secret facility was recently found under the Wynand Building condo complex in the City."

Yet more Bettina: "The Social Justice groups 'Citizens for Police Accountability' and 'Black Voices Raised' filed complaints with the Federal Elections Commission and State Elections Board that Commander Troy violated State laws by co-mingling his status as a Police Officer with a political speech at a political rally. The State Elections Board immediately dismissed the complaints, while the FEC said that it was solely a State matter."

"And let's go to Nick Eastwood with more on this weekend's huge game!" said Bettina. "Nick!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the handsome blonde Sports reporter. "The college football world is still reeling after the University of Tennessee's shocking upset of Alabama on Rocky Top this past weekend! The 24-21 result had Alabama seeing Orange all day as the Tennessee defense played its best game in two years, swarming the Alabama quarterback and stopping the run, as well."

Nick: "With the Alabama loss, our University's Bulldogs moved up to No. 1 in the Nation! They are followed by Florida at No. 2, the Wildcats at No. 3, and Georgia at No. 4. All four teams had open dates this past weekend, and this weekend Florida will play Georgia in Jacksonville this Saturday afternoon, followed by our Bulldogs hosting the Wildcats here at University Memorial Stadium! Channel Two Sports has learned that ESPN's Gameday will be here on Campus, and fans eagerly await Coach Corso's predictions! Back to you, Bettina."

"Nick, why does Georgia play Florida at the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida every year, instead of home-and-home?" Bettina asked.

"It's a long-standing tradition, Bettina." said Eastwood. "But I thought Coach Steve Spurrier said it best when he said that Florida would never accept playing in Atlanta every year in a stadium called the Bulldog Bowl. And after the incident in 1985, where Jacksonville Police injured a number of Georgia students with violent Police brutality after that year's game, I don't understand why Georgia doesn't insist on a home-and-home schedule in the future..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So what happened to Alabama, Joanne?" Ole Miss alumnus Teddy Parker asked rather loudly as the Detectives drank coffee in MCD. "Losing to a vastly inferior Tennessee team like that?"

"All I have to say," said Joanne, "is that nothing sucks like a Big Orange!" Everyone broke out laughing at that, more at the way the normally sweet Joanne Warner spoke than at her words.

"Man, this is going to be a nightmare for the TCPD." said Theo Washington. "Game days are tough enough... but No. 1 vs. No. 3, ESPN here, night game with lots of drinking at the tailgate parties..."

"And just imagine how much worse it's going to be," said Julia Rodriguez, "when the Wildcats beat the Bulldogs." Silence was instantaneous and all eyes were on Julia. "What?" she said.

"Didn't know you were a Wildcat fan." said Joanne. "For real, or just kissing Commander Troy's crowbar?... oh, wait, that did not come out right."

Commander Cindy Ross came in to a room where Detectives were literally rolling on the floor, unable to stop laughing. "Whatever it was, it must've been good." she said. That started another round of uncontrollable laughter. "What?" Cindy said.

"No." Joanne said, her face beet-red. "Just no."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I heard that Fox is starting a new television station here in our Town & County." Teresa said as my three Angels came into my office at 7:50am. "Call letters KFXU, the 'U' meaning 'University'. It's going to be on Channel 8. Fox bought the frequency from the PBS station the University had been running. They'll start November 1st."

"Like we need another TV station in this County." Tanya said. "It's not like we're a big city like the City. Two is bad enough." I grinned at that.

"Word I heard," Cindy said, "was that KXTC is already hurting after Reed Hudson called for them to be boycotted after the editorial attack on you, Don. We may be back down to two stations before too long." I knew Cindy had heard that either directly or indirectly from the lovely Priya Ajmani, Press secretary to State Senator Katherine Woodburn.

I said "What I heard was that Leftist groups are going around calling for boycotts of any business that boycotts KXTC, and businesses like Sonic are directing their ads to be shown on KXTC, to try to boost them up."

"It's going to be the viewer numbers that matter most." Teresa said. "Conservatives have nowhere else to go except KSTD and KXTC. Maybe this new Fox station will be better."

"Fair and balanced." said Cindy. "So they say."

"I'd rather have 'honest and relevant'." I said.

"I get the feeling you don't like the Press, Commander Troy." Tanya said with a sparkle in her eye.

"What-evergave you that idea, Captain Perlman?" I replied. Cindy and Teresa laughed out loud.

"I'm a pretty good Detective." Tanya replied with a smile. "And I also observe and deduce that this Police Force's Commanders are about to start some serious rhetoric over this weekend's game."

"Who, us?" Cindy said. "Why, perish the very thought."

"No need for rhetoric." I said. "It'll be settled on the field. Wildcats win. Again. Done deal. Nuff said."

"Maybe you haven't heard." Cindy said. "Derrick Waters, 'Train No. 93', is coming down the tracks. I ordered some extra ice for the Wildcats QB for after the game."

"Save that ice to chill the beer you're going to be buying me after the game." I said. "And yes, Tanya, you've succeeded in starting 'trouble' between your crowbar-carrying friends..." Tanya just grinned. She and Teresa fist-bumped.

"Okay, let's watch some TV." I said. I turned the television on to KSTD.

"This is Cynthia Freeman, Five-Alive News in the Morning, with all the news you have a right to know!" said the beautiful dirty-blonde woman. "We have breaking news of political bombshells exploding in Midtown!"

"Over the weekend," started Cynthia, "Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen issued a subpoena requiring Westphalia State Representative Sharon Marshall, the Republican nominee for Lieutenant Governor, to appear before Mullen to answer questions on her associations with Governor Val Jared, and particularly Commander Donald Troy of the TCPD."

"However," Cynthia continued, "Superior Court Judge M. Stanton Lee of the Westphalia/Eastphalia District squashed the subpoena, calling it an 'unlawful abuse of power by the ISC's Office, with overtones of political corruption on the part of Mr. Mullen'. Robert Mullen is appealing that ruling."

Freeman then reported: "And just moments ago, Governor Val Jared stated that he intends to create another Independent State Counsel, whose mandate will be to investigate Robert Mullen, State A.G. Karl Handel, and former State Secretary of State Brian Cagle, for corruption in the vote-counting scandal of the Republican Caucuses on October 9th, as well as Mr. Mullen's blatant abuse of his ISC authority in harassing Representative Marshall."

"We have with us Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling." said Cynthia as the camera panned out to include Frazier. "Karl, how are the key races shaping up?"

"Cynthia," said Frazier, "the Lieutenant Governor's race has become strongly energized by several factors. The Democrat candidate, State Senator Maxine Watts, is a polarizing figure within her own Party, and now Grassroots Conservative voters see Robert Mullen's subpoena as 'weaponizing' the ISC investigation into a political tool to help the Republican Establishment harass and intimidate Grassroots candidates. Something similar is happening in our Town & County in the Mayor's race, where Conservative backlash is forming over Della Harlow and Gayle Tunnin's attempt to smear Mayor candidate Daniel Allgood with a sexual harassment charge."

"And what are the numbers in these key races?" asked Cynthia with her set, lovely smile.

"In the Lieutenant Governor's race, it's 45-45, with 10% undecided." said Frazier. "It's truly deadlocked, and we won't know until late into Election Night who might win, there. Here in the County, the Mayor's race is tightening up considerably. Eldrick Weaver as a 48-45% lead, still within the margin of error, but the undecideds are dropping, and are now around 7%."

"Karl," said Cynthia, "with Susan Weston running for the Town & County Council seat being vacated by Loran Michaels, the old Pastor Westboro seat, that means the seat formerly held by Thomas P. Cook is up for grabs. This could be a crucial swing vote seat, and Sheila Sorrells is running against Dexter Epstein. What is happening there?"

Frazier said "Due to quirks in the election laws, both are running as independents. Sheila Sorrells is a veteran of previous political campaigns, having run for the Council before. She has a significant lead over Mr. Epstein, who is a Public Defender and has shown woeful inexperience in running his campaign."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Epstein?" said Cindy. "Really?"

"I hadn't even heard about this race before now." said Tanya.

"Sorrells may win by a bigger margin than Chief Griswold." I said. "So the Press has largely ignored it, mostly to keep Epstein from getting any publicity."

"I can't believe Epstein is running." Cindy said. "What would Judge Nance going to do without his marked card on the Public Defender's list?"

"I'm wondering who gave Governor Jared the idea to call for a second Independent State Counsel to investigate the first one." Teresa said, peering at me.

"I have no idea." I said. "But I wouldn't be surprised if the Crowbar Clan's resident Klingon Warrior, that being Chief Griswold, made the suggestion to his friend the Governor..."

"I have one question." Tanya said. "Just how did Detective Teddy Parker get assigned to Lieutenant Holloway's protection detail?" She peered at Teresa and at me. Teresa and I began looking for spider webs along the ceiling, and Teresa began whistling.

"Tanya has a point." said Cindy. "Y'all sure this is a good idea?"

"Ask the big ol' teddy bear behind the desk, there." said Teresa. "He's the hopeless romantic in the room." I was smiling as I waved a red crowbar in her general direction.

"Speaking of that," said Tanya, "who is going to replace Janice in Personnel & Records? She was brevetted; now they're all but leaderless in there."

"What am I?" Cindy said. "Chopped liver?"

"Tanya has a point." I said, to Cindy. "I don't think it was intended for the Deputy Chief to directly run Personnel & Records. But I suspect the Chief will have some good ideas for you..."

Part 2 - Revenge, Served Cold with Hot Lead

Not many people noticed the man in the trenchcoat and suit and tie escorting the pretty Latina woman towards City Hall, though they might've noticed the two Uniformed TCPD Officers behind them.

As they walked up to the side entrance of City Hall, the employees and 'authorized personnel' entrance, Janice Holloway said to Teddy Parker "I really appreciate you escorting me and watching over me. Why don't we have lunch sometime soon?"

"I'll have to take a raincheck." said Teddy. "Maybe we can do that... on November 2d?"

Janice smiled brightly at that, understanding what Teddy was saying. "It's a date, then." she said. Then she noticed Teddy suddenly turn and look up the street...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Monday, October 22d. It was becoming routine: FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone came to my office.

"Hi, Jack." I said. "Good weekend?"

"Not bad." said Muscone. "As you predicted, the Press went 'nucking futs' over your mention of 'Guardians of Justice' in that speech, and it gave me the perfect opportunity to put that out about the GOJ disbanding. Except for that, I got to spend some time with the family."

"Always a good thing." I said. "But I perceive that there are some things bothering you. Washington?"

"Not much gets by you." said Muscone. "And no, it's not really Washington, not directly." He leaned back in his chair and said "I think I told you that I told the Brass I'm staying here, and won't accept a promotion that forces me to move anywhere. So... they're letting me stay here. Special Agent In Charge for the Field Office in the City."

"What about Ashton Cardigan?" I asked. He's a Special Agent In Charge, too."

"That's true, but he's the head of the cyber teams for the Field Office and it's Resident Agencies, which as you know are subdivisions of the Field Office." Jack said. "And he'll stay in that role, of SAC for cyber operations for this State and the Region. The real good news is that your Town & County will now host a Resident Agency, and be assigned a Supervisory Agent."

"And I'll bet you lunch that that Supervisory Agent's name is going to be 'Melina Troy Allgood'." I said with a wicked gleam in my gray eyes.

Muscone gaped, then said "Four hundred years ago..." He then added: "It's not even official yet. How the hell did you know?"

"Why, the Guardians of Justice told me." I said with a straight face. That got Jack's beady eyes looking hard at me.

"Stop that." he said. "You're messing with me... though somehow I don't think you're kidding about that. Damn! if you don't know too much."

"I have seen enough to know that I have seen too much." I said. "So, what's going to happen to the Southport resident agency?"

Muscone glared at me some more. "What, did you talk to the DepDirector? He was the one that outlined a lot of this."

"I could tell you that I talked to him." I said. "But the truth is that Southport has been rudderless since Les Craig met his destiny. Andrew Parsons and David Rovers are unexceptional at best, and lapdogs for the Swamp Frogs at worst, and you don't know who to promote and put in charge, there. It's not too much to guess that Southport will be a priority for you to solve as Special Agent In Charge of the City Field Office."

"Who would you put in there?" Muscone asked.

"Ted Crenshaw." I said. "In fact, I always though the FBI hired him away from the SBI with the idea to use his Organized Crime knowledge and expertise to keep that area from getting out of control."

"Actually, we hired him to help with the City Mob, and the organized parties of Superior Bloodlines and the Black Triumvirate." said Muscone. "But yes, he'd be ideal in Southport. Problem is... the EAD doesn't agree. He wants us to consider Parsons and Rovers, but I really haven't had the chance to observe them and see how good or bad they are. They were Les Craig sycophants, and they're 'yes boys', but they came out clean in the massive OPR that was done after Les Craig and Dana Fox were exposed as dirty."

"I'm sure they did." I said. "They may be clean, but they keep showing up around Swamp Frogs. And you just gave me a clue about that... I'm willing to bet that the EAD knows them a lot better than he might be letting on."

"I must be talking in my sleep." said Muscone. "And Tanya is telling you every word I say."

"Nope." I said seriously. "She does not say a word to me about anything you say to her, just as I don't discuss anything Laura says to me. And I would never ask Tanya to betray you like that. But what I just said is a cluuuuuue for you. So, what about Team Lazarus?"

"Nash is ready to be a Supervisory Agent." said Jack. "And he'll be put in charge of Team Lazarus in the City Office. Julius Jefferson and Lindy Linares are good with that, as is Crenshaw if he stays with the team. Sandra Speer is the only one we're not sure about."

"Hmmm..." I mused.

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my desk phone. I picked it up. "Troy." I said.

"Sir! This is the Duty Desk!" said the Duty Desk Sergeant. "There's been shots fired at City Hall and an Officer hit! Not sure who nor how bad it is..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Shots fired, shots fired. Riverside Drive at City Hall." came a voice on the radio.

"Officer down! Officer down! One officer wounded! Need ambulance to the scene!" said another voice on the radio.

Muscone and I came up in my Police SUV. We had been allowed through the cordon set up, but Lieutenant Irwin of 1st Precinct was not happy at all with my presence. "Sir," he said as we got out of my SUV, "we don't know if there are shooters still in the vicinity. Please get back in your vehicle, sir."

"You know I'm not going to do that while an Officer is bleeding on the ground." I said as we strode up to the small crowd near the side entrance to City Hall. "I've got on armor, Irwin, so it'll be okay." Even so, Irwin had Uniformed Officers standing behind me, physically covering my back, and a couple more Officers doing that for Muscone, as well.

When I worked my way through the crowd, I saw that it was Detective Teddy Parker lying on the ground, and Janice Holloway on her knees next to him, holding a blood-soaked cloth to his head. "What happened?" I asked, seeing that Teddy was conscious.

"Car..." gasped Teddy. "Old, beige-brown. Guy started firing out of it..."