All Comments on 'The Fourth Man'

by laptopwriter

Sort by:
  • 157 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Sorry but one strike and your out

If a woman ever pulled this type of shit on me she would be out the door so fast that there would be a sonic boom.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 7 years ago
don't you trust me?

Isn't that what Lucy always asked Charlie Brown just before she yanked the football he was about to kick away from in front of him?

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Cheap plot device. Its not the husband that is being strung along, . . .

its the reader. Is that all you've got?

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
THE 4TH MAN TURNED OUT TO BE A WOMAN

with an ex, a sister, and a past discretion, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
The 4th Man?

Arnie, the fourth golfer on their team for the first time in memory, just happens to miss the same weekend that Jennifer still hasn't talked about. When living a fantasy means more than the pain your husband feels about being excluded, the loss of trust, faith, hopes, and love of your husband...then you no longer have a marriage. At this point, the marriage is in flames. Infidelity is not the only reason for a marriage to collapse. Secretcy is as big a marriage killer as infidelity. I am still thinking that either Arnie or an act of lesbianism is the deep dark secret.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Not up to your usual standards

But I'll reserve judgement/voting until I've read the rest of the story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
He Screwed Up

When she asked him to trust her unconditionally he should have turned the table 180 degrees. He should have told her that trust is a two way street and if she didn’t trust him enough to tell him why she needed to go away, then he had no reason to trust her. A marriage with big secrets like that one is a marriage on life support. It is an interesting conundrum, though. I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
This Happened To Me Once

I went down to New Orleans one weekend to where the artists hang out. I found a young male artist and told him what I wanted. He took me to his loft. It took him 2 1/2 days but he completed an excellent nude portrait of me to give to my fiance. I told my fiance that I kept my clothes on. What he doesn't know, won't hurt him, right?

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 5 years ago
He screwed up

The first thing is, she’s a grown woman. She doesn’t need permission. He should have told her “I trust you the same as you trust me. Whether you go or not, our marriage won’t be the same. Do what you want. It’s your choice.”

He also should have slept in the guest room the 2 nights before she left.

Oddly, nobodie asked where Arnie was last weekend, or how he hurt his back.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
Shows lack of trust in him

Supposed to share everything

Something big in her eyes and won't share what it is

No

She has to tell or goodbye

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Good start

That's just two much to ask in the way of trust. She made a big mistake. What does Ernie have to do with this weekend?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago

It defies all logic that she didn't realize this would hurt him like it did, and if it was innocent, why CAN'T she tell him?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago

I know I've commented many times, and I haven't read more than the beginning, but my attitude is, if she can't trust him enough to tell him what she's going to do, then it's probably something that would at LEAST piss him off.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
Helluva writer

But just hell no! What about a pi to follow her? What about tracking her phone? Haven’t read this in years but it still annoys me

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Nope. When she asked that question

The answer would be a big fat NO.

He said it himself. How can he trust her, when she obviously doesn't trust him. Trust is like a saloon door. It goes both ways. If she doesn't trust him enough to be honest, then how could he ever trust her? She clearly doesn't love him as much as he loves her. You don't intentionally hurt someone you love, to do something selfish, even though you can clearly see that you are hurting them. She knew she was hurting him, and pressed on out of pure selfishness. That's not love.

And where was Arnie that weekend? In her bed? That's the problem with dishonesty. Everything she says after the fact falls under suspicion.

When someone makes it clear that they don't trust you, you automatically reciprocate. It's human nature. And she made it quite apparent that she never trusted her husband.

He has to walk away, even if it was something innocent, her obvious lack of trust in him has already destroyed the marriage. No reconciliation warranted, unless she recognizes the fact that she loves herself far more than she loves her husband, and remedies that.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
She has to be cheating

Or else helping someone cheat.

I don't say that based on any evidence. What I mean is, for the story to work, she Must cheat, or be doing something that will destroy the marriage. I say that because, if it's some innocuous harmless thing that she risked her marriage for, then the story just falls apart and becomes stupidly pointless.

SwordWielderSwordWielderalmost 4 years ago
I've got an answer

As for her asking to have a weekend away with no questions - the answer is "sure dear, I'll let you go as soon as you sign 2 documents: First notarized statement that if either of us have any sexual contact with someone that is not each other (i.e. a serious kiss, feeling up/being felt up, or any sexual contact to our mouth, genitals, or anus) hereby be defined as adultery; the offending person voluntarily gives up all rights to all community property in the marriage, and walks away only with their personal property. It also states that the cheater waves any rights to consuling if this goes to a divorce. The 2nd document states that once she returns they will schedule polygraph (lie detector) exams for both of them to occur ASAP, and failure to pass would be grounds to divorce using the post-nuptial. The polygraph exam has to ask about sexual contact without restricting it to just one gender (i.e. if she cheated by having sex with a woman, it still counts as cheating)

amyyumamyyumalmost 4 years ago
I loved this original tale

5* from me

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 3 years ago

I have to repeat a comment I made a few years ago: It's easy for her to say that she would trust him, since that's the answer she wants from him, but if she had never asked him, there's no WAY that she would trust him!

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
May have been mentioned

Could have taken her rings off her before she left and should have told her she would need a clear std test after she came back.

Definitely should have said, if you trusted me you would tell me where, what and who.

MarkT63MarkT63about 3 years ago

Her behaviour is not deserving his trust. Tell her NO, and make her go without your permission!!! GPS her phone ASAP.

Mr_Sap24Mr_Sap24about 3 years ago

Interesting, I can see the gap in her, everyone assumes she was with another man, not another person, what if it was another woman? That would explain why she is incapable of telling him what she did, also why she still believes her love for him isn't compromised nor should it be.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Very difficult to believe any husband is this stupid, and once that anger had a chance to take root, it's extremely difficult to get rid of it. No way would I agree for my wife to pull something like this, no way would she ever let me. We love each other, neither of us has ever been divorced, probably because we know better than to try something this stupid.

She obviously did something her husband would have forbidden if he'd known what it was - that's the only reason why she couldn't/wouldn't tell him. Trust is gone, no reason to stay married any longer.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago

S brooks102x said what I was thinking. What would have happened had the roles been reversed??

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
It was another woman

It had to be. She was very specific in saying that it wasn't another man. It was her fantasy. She avoided saying she didn't sleep with anyone, or another person, she kept saying that it wasn't another MAN. I'll bet all the monopoly money in the world that she was fucking another woman.

francemanfrancemanabout 3 years ago

Good introduction.

5⭐

what could she have done that she couldn't say? I have an idea. We'll see?

Thanks for sharing your talent

BigfundrewBigfundrewabout 3 years ago

If it turns out that she finally got to try her hat at being a rodeo clown ...or karaoke because her voice is so bad..I'ma be pissed

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This story could go in a lot of different ways .. My Ex did not ask Me anything like that question .. She just had her best friend lie for her . That killed 2 marriages .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Why would "Ken" not place a couple of caveats on agreeing to her making the trip?

1. She must agree to not touch a male during her trip, including at the destination

2.She must not allow a male to touch her during the trip, including at the destination.

3.She must agree to not perform or watch any lewd of lascivious acts.

4.I'm sure there are others that can be added, but right now, I'm tired and sleepy (56 hrs w/o sleep)

SignedBTWSignedBTWover 2 years ago

LTW Is A Master

At throwing in a curve or red herring or two in a story in a manner similar to one of Hitchcock's mcguffins. Take the fact that Vern isn't going to be able to make it to their regular foursome on Saturday, the same Saturday that Jennifer is going away on. She won't say why or where to her husband and doesn't want him to ask questions just 'does he love her?'. It tends to lead one into thinking it's along the lines of one of those 'wife going on a date and it won't change anything' stories.

Then there's the fact that when she returns she says absolutely that she didn't have sex with a 'man'. That leaves one possibility open regarding sex within Lit guidlines. Woody Allen made a comment long ago about how being

bi-sexual doubled your chances of getting a date on Saturday night and she was gone on Saturday night. It seems to me that being bi-curious would do the same thing. It would still be cheating unless you subscribe to the Bill Clinton BS that oral sex isn't cheating because it's not sex. I wonder if it would be easier to lose your wife to woman rather than another man, on what level would you ever compete with that?

Years ago I started paying pretty close attention to character names thanks to Stangstar06 (posting on SOL now) so I thought it was fun that two of the golfers in the foursome are Arnie and Jack. Unless you know golfing legends you just have to be of a certain age. Arnie wouldn't do something like that to a buddy now would he what would his army think? Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The Fourth Man? Cool - a gang bang story!

hicountryriderhicountryriderover 2 years ago

This is the 1st of your stories that I thought was absolutely disgusting In terms of the plot.

No man or let his wife get away with hiding a secret like that.

No man will let his wife get away with hiding a secret like that.

Trust busy 2 way street.

I would have told her either she tells me the truth or I'm filing for divorce.

Reason I would never be able to trust her after a stynt like this.

You write better than this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

ZEROZEROZERO....

totally sucked. he is brain dead.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Ken the wimp could have had the bitch Jennifer followdd....stupid cunt

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good writing but you ask to much of us to accept that ANY man, well except maybe castrated Mellenials, would accept this.

NEVER happen.

Follow her? Damn right. Spend the damn money for a PI. THAT way he can put matters to rest-either way.

SHE signed off on his trust from the beginning. If PI turned nothing then she'd not know...AND HE SHOULD NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT!

I've just finished the first section but it occurred to me. Maybe she told the truth about not fucking another man

Well, how about a woman? Just a thought.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

He's putting himself through hell for no reason. He should dump on her with some of her own sorry crap. LP

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I usually like your stuff but this was utterly ridiculous.

You want to go away and not tell me where? what you'll do? who you're with? that's fine. I trust you. Just one thing ...

Are you going to fuck another man - yes or no?

Every man on planet earth would at least ask that, rather than go through the anxiety he did? Every man would.

If she promises, it's not an affair - fine. At least he's then in a position to decide how much he trusts her.

If she won't confirm that - fine. No you can't go, and I'll never trust you again.

Then it got worse ...

"I had no idea this would hurt you so badly."

Yes she did!

And as for 'to be continued' ... beyond ridiculous. Infuriating enough to make me skip everything else you submit.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I've read several stories where the wife a free pass but the husbands never call a PI to follow their wife. That would be the first thing I would do. trust but verify

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Husband was stupid to allow her to go without her explaining the who, what, why, and where for the trip. The only reason for not telling the husband is because the "thing" she planned on doing wouldn't pass the spouse test... Would you do it in front of your spouse? Should just of told if she goes don't bother coming back.

KRD19254KRD19254almost 2 years ago

Sorry but he was too gullible, and she was willing to jeopardize her safety by not letting her husband or anyone know where she was going - in Chicago?

\

She was too stupid to NOT think out all the ramifications to her game? Trust but verify should drive him to separation not just in bedrooms - she obviously has no feelings for his plight.

\

Her high school fantasy was so important to her she was willing to toss the marriage trust.....Was it worth the loss of a husband for some self-centered glee?

\

3.5.... Hooyah

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The bastard lied; he DIDN’T trust his wife, when he told her he would. Then he accused her of cheating when he really had no reason to do so. Then he continued to behave like a jerk and punished her without cause. Finally he’s heading towards disaster with the “fourth man” substitute. Three stars ⭐️ for this one.

EvelZombieEvelZombieabout 1 year ago

The MC is a weak man. I hope he ends up divorced and his wife gets everything

Schlouis57Schlouis5711 months ago

Encore une mauviette. Aurait dû lui dire que si elle passe la porte, ce n'est plus la peine de revenir.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Anonymous, three comments down is an idiot. SHE didn’t trust him to tell him the truth. You don’t go away without telling your spouse where you are. That’s basic marriage 101.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Laptopwriter, you are teasing your readers and I am looking forward to the rest of this series. As to the comment made several months ago I have to read the story again but I don't think he said he trusted her...he just told her to go on her weekend trip.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Two stars. Because you did not tell us it was Chapter one. I may or may not continue reading, because I am really sleepy and I need some rest.

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Stupidity. Maybe it wasn't having sex with another man. But maybe it was a lesbian affair. Or maybe it was more than "another man" - maybe it was pulling a train or a gangbang or interracial...

"Trust no one." That's the golden rule.

Question then becomes, how does one live without at least some trust?

And that's the wrong question.

The simple answer is in two parts:

First, you cannot trust anyone not to hurt you. The reality is people will hurt you if for no other reason than to avoid being hurt themselves. The other side of the coin deals with animus - people will hurt you because they want to or believe they have good reason to deliberately hurt you.

All that leads to the inescapable Second Part which is recognition of human behaviour (as well as animal behaviour). The issue is not one of trusting not to be hurt, but rather recognizing what you can trust. And that is: "trust people to always act in their own best interest."

If it's in someone's best interests not to hurt you, you won't be hurt by them.

If it's in someone's best interests to hurt you, cheat you, betray you, sacrifice you, steal from you, lie to you, even kill you, that's what will happen.

People & animals (to the limits of instinct & intelligence) ALWAYS act in their own best (or what they perceive is their best) interests.

Don't trust the person, trust their conduct and selfish beliefs.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Lesbian extramarital fling over one weekend. Reveal and discovery in chapter 3 is pretty epic.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

"What we have here; is a Failure to Communicate "...

If he couldn't trust, then hire a PI to verify. Several hundred dollars is cheaper than destroying property, or an aneurysm, or a divorce.

Me thinks he doth protest too much. How many times should he forgive? (7 × 77?)

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I don’t see how this story belongs in literotica?

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

If she could not say what it was she was doing, it would be a no I do not trust you. A marriage is based on trust and openness. If a spouse cannot be open then, there is trust issues. So it would be no you are not going. If you go you will be served. Simples.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

This story is not about trust, it is about honesty. In a marriage spouses have to be open and honest in all things, that includes surprises where they may be out of the ordinary. If there is no honesty, trust falls at the first hurdle. Its as simple as that.

"Do you trust me if I go away for the weekend alone." "If you cannot be honest with me about it, then no I don't trust you." Ergo, your not going.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Such a dumb story, who would do that or ask that of their mate? I'm going away but you can't know where or what i am doing...

MarkT63MarkT635 months ago

Trust, but Verify...

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker3 months ago

Amen, MarkT63. The Bear agrees. On to the next part.

The BEAR

gladventurergladventurer3 months ago

Anonymous from two months ago said it so well, it’s about honesty, not trust. Where there’s no honesty, there can be no trust.

/“Honey, do you trust me?” How can I trust you, if you won’t be honest with me about where you’re going and what you’re doing and who you’re doing it with? Trust is situational based on what situation you’re putting yourself into. You have to know that the fact you are asking me this question now, in this way and won’t tell me why, doesn’t lead to trust. You’re either embarrassed by what you’re about to do or you think what you’re doing could hurt me and our relationship. My answer is twofold, I do trust you, but not absolutely and certainly not in this situation when you won’t tell me what, where , why. I feel you are trying to manipulate me into absolution before you do something you’re either not proud of or are downright certain is not right or good for us.

She said a couple of times, it something I have to do… No, you don’t have to, you are choosing to do this. “Have to” is victim speak for its not my fault if this ruins our relationship. I think there should have been much more dialogue before he agreed to it.

oldtwitoldtwit3 months ago

mmmmmmmmmmm, not sure, there’s a lot of repeating in here

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous