The French Exit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Sal.' The older man called.

'Sal, come back and sit down. You need to hear the rest of it.'

Sal turned around.

'Rest of it? What fucking rest of it? What fucking rest of it are we talking about here Charlie?'

Charlie indicated the chair Sal had been sat down on. After a minute of furious internal debate, Sal sat down. Two fucking minutes he was going to give this old wind-up merchant, two fucking minutes.

'Sal, the people with Black rings don't know what's going on. That's what the ring means. The people with Pink rings do know and are okay with it.'

'With what Charlie, with what?'

'All of the men with the Black rings and the Pink rings are in some kind of contraption that stops them from getting hard.'

Charlie held up a hand to stop Sal from losing his temper.

'The easiest way to prove what I'm saying is to find out if another man is in one of these things like you. If he is, that's the best proof I'm right, you get me?'

Sal nodded, the red mist was clearing and he was returning to his normal sense of calm.

'So, men with Black rings and men with Pink rings are in chastity. These cages.' He added by way of clarification when Charlie looked puzzled.

'That's right. The Pink men can be released by their wives, the ones with the Black ring can't.'

'So, Reuben is in a cage, same as me, but Sarah -- his wife. She can release him, Alice can't.'

Charlie nodded.

'OK, let's say for arguments sake I buy that. What about the women with Pink and Black rings? Where do they stand?'

'No women are in any kind of thing stopping them from having sex, just you men. But the women are the same as the men. The ones with Pink rings know what's happening and are OK with it, the ones with Black rings have no clue.'

'And now, the Gold rings?'

'They're the one that the vacation is for. They're the ones being treated. They have access all areas, they have the best food. They can do what they want and the hotel staff are there to help them do that. They'll run interference on your wife's behalf to keep you from finding out what she's doing.'

Sal thought back to a few little situations in the first few days when he'd been separated from his wife. He had to do some bullshit little paperwork exercises, filling in forms whilst she'd gone off. At the time he hadn't questioned it. But with Charlie's words, he could see how those exercises could've been lures to split him away from his wife. She could get to have different conversations from the ones he'd been present for. It didn't make much sense, why bother?

'I don't think so Charlie. I think I'm understanding what you're saying but you're wrong.'

'Sal, you took the time to come to my daughter's wedding, you took photographs, you celebrated her wedding with us and we enjoyed your company. We thought nothing more of it, enjoyed having you there, a tourist, a white man, an American sharing our special day. Today you've come back with something incredible and given it as a gift. I like you, I'm grateful to you. Why would I want to hurt you?'

'I get it, that's what's screwing with my head. This whole situation doesn't make sense. On one hand you could be screwing with me, but why would you? I don't see the game. As soon as I go back to the resort I can see if you're telling the truth. But the alternative is my wife is cheating on me? I don't buy that. She wouldn't do that. We've been together for over ten years. We're planning on having bloody kids together when we get back.'

'Saturday night Sal, come here and I'll take you to our dance club. You can do your photographing. We'll have a good night. You take care until then and have a good long think before you do anything, think about what I've said and what that means if I'm right.'

Sal got up; his head was being torn is so many different directions. He looked at his watch, he had some time before he needed to be heading back to the resort. Mechanically he thanked Charlie and making sure he had all his gear he began to walk off. Was Alice cheating on him?

He walked back not paying much attention to what was going on around him. He was consumed by the scenarios playing out in his mind. After a while he snapped out of his thoughts and saw where he was. He orientated himself and called his taxi driver to come and pick him up. It was a quiet ride back to the resort. He knew he had to get himself sorted out quickly and find out what the hell was going on.

Chapter Three

He walked quickly down to the minibus and saw Reuben climbing down from the bus. Reuben came over to him quickly. Sal could see anger dripping off him as he stalked over to where he was stood.

'What the fuck was that little fucking game you played?'

Reuben spat, standing in front of Sal.

'Fuck off Reuben, I haven't got the patience for your whining right now.'

Sal moved to go around him, but Reuben moved with him blocking his path.

'I lost a day of my fucking holiday when I could've been enjoying myself, babysitting you. Only to have you fucking vanish. You do that again you little...'

Sal didn't think, Reuben's hand came up to point a finger in Sal's face but all Sal saw was the movement towards his face. He reacted with years of experience guiding him. He moved out of the way of the threat and smashed his clenched fist into the centre of Reuben's belly. It was a good blow. Sal had been boxing since he was ten and loved fighting.

He'd started because with his short size and slender frame he was an easy target for bigger older bullies. A few beatings had shown his parents there was a problem. They'd signed him up at the neighbourhood gym for boxing classes. Quickly, Sal learnt that technique, aggression, and control meant he could beat up the bigger kids who only had size as their advantage.

Reuben was taller than him, a good six inches taller and more than a few pounds heavier. But he was a desk jockey who was out of shape. Sal's weighted punch caught him completely by surprise and the air was knocked out of him. Sal led the winded man over to a bench and sat him down. He quickly looked around and no-one was paying any attention to them. No-one had seen the punch and it looked like he was helping his friend.

Reuben was in a world of pain, unaware of what was going on. Trying to make the pain go away and catch his breath. The surprise at being hit was as potent as the power behind the punch. Sal took the opportunity to do something he'd never thought he would. He gave Reuben's package a squeeze. He felt the cage around Reuben's genitals.

'Reuben, oh Reuben?'

Sal quietly said as he sat down next to him. The world that had started to turn a grey kind of colour became a bit more normal as Reuben pulled in a deep breath. The pain was like nothing he'd felt before. He could hear his name being called. He wasn't sure what had happened. His mind was trying to understand how he'd got here, what was going on. He turned slowly in the direction that his name was coming from.

'Reuben, if you ever speak to me like that again. I promise you, you won't eat solid food for the next fucking year. Am I absolutely clear?'

Reuben wasn't entirely sure what was going on, but he knew enough to nod his head and with relief he saw Sal walk away.

Sal breathed out as he walked away. That had felt good. It had felt damn good. It had felt damn, fucking good. He'd always found Reuben to be irritating, but he had to put up with him. He was his brother-in-law. He'd ignored the snide comments and smirks over the years. The thinly veiled insults, the different little ways that Reuben put him down in front of his wife and her family. But that punch had felt good. A blow from the little man. He smiled as he walked, time for round two. Time to use some more moves. Time to understand what the hell was going on. Charlie'd called it right about Reuben being caged. Was he right about the rest of what he had said?

He walked into Reception and saw the same Duty Manager approaching him again. He clearly knew about his trick getting out of the day trip and Sal could see his anger. He stood and waited for the man to approach.

'Mr Calzone, I've been told you weren't on the day trip.'

Sal shook his head and smiled. 'Nope. Forgot something in my room and by the time I got back to the minibus, wouldn't you know it? They'd gone without me. My wife is going to be so disappointed when she finds out.'

His words didn't seem to do anything to mollify the Manager.

'This is a serious infraction of our rules. I've already given you a warning.'

Sal held up his hand to stop the conversation and then put his hand onto the man's arm.

'I think I have a solution, Mr um?'

'Jacobs. I am Mr Jacobs.'

'Mr Jacobs, I think there might be a way that we can both get what we want. Have you got somewhere quiet we can talk?'

He was led through a door marked 'Private' into an office. He waited and he was invited to sit down.

'Mr Jacobs, you want me on these damn day trips and I keep not going which is causing you problems.'

He saw the man nod.

'You want me to go on the trips and then a problem goes away. I behave, your life becomes a lot easier. Am I right?'

'Yes. You have to.'

Sal held up a finger and waggled it from side to side.

'I'm a grown man. As I've demonstrated over the last few days. I can do what the hell I want and I promise you, I haven't even started yet.'

He kept his hand up, preventing the Manager from talking.

'But I'm not here to fight. I'm here to enjoy myself. I want to have fun, make memories, eat good food.'

Sal nodded slowly as he spoke and he saw a light go on in the man's eyes.

'I think you understand me, Mr Jacobs. I do something for you, something to make your life easier. You do the same for me. We keep it quiet; you know.'

He saw a faint smile on Mr Jacobs face.

'What is it you want, Mr Calzone?'

'I want to eat tonight from the Gold menu and '

'I can't do that Mr Calzone. That's impossible.'

'Nah, you can do it. You're the boss man. I don't believe that's beyond your capability.'

'You need to eat the right food for your group. People can't see someone eating the wrong food. It would cause chaos.'

'OK. How about this? I eat from the Gold menu. I'll even eat now. Nice, and early before the restaurant gets busy. I'll eat out on the veranda alone. Then tomorrow, I go on whatever trip my wife has put me down for.'

'How do I know you'll keep your word? You could eat the food and then play up.'

'I'd do Scout's honour but I wasn't a Scout. All I can say is that my word is my bond. I'm a man of my word. What do you have to lose but a problem?'

Sal could see his words had worked. It took a few more minutes and the man got up and got a Gold menu in for him. Sal picked what he wanted and Mr Jacobs escorted him out to the Veranda where he sat to one side. There was a great sea view in front of him. The heat had gone out of the day and sat in the shade. It was a bit of time to savour. As this was an early meal; they'd been eating later, he should miss his wife coming in for her meal.

The food was as good as the menu promised. His Black menu food had been alright. However, the difference between the menus was huge and he savoured his meal.

He had time to think. Time to work through in his head how he was feeling and what he wanted to do. He felt angry, as resentful as hell and he just wanted to punch people. He wasn't sure if it was true or not, but just the fact he was questioning his wife's fidelity made him mad. He was glad that he'd agreed to go on the trip tomorrow. That'd give him time to plan, some space away from the resort and the people. He'd go back to the room after his meal and then take a walk down the beach. Keep him away from Alice and the temptation of conversations he didn't want to have just yet. No sense going off half-cocked.

He worried that he wouldn't keep his calm if he was around her. She'd say or do something and he'd explode. His best move was to be around her as little as possible and to minimise the risk of letting on what he knew. Best case, this was a silly mistake. He'd try to get some proof of her cheating and draw a blank. If he said the wrong thing and she was genuinely innocent, he could hurt his marriage.

Worst case scenario, she was cheating and Charlie was right. Not just she was cheating, but she was playing him for a fool with this whole vacation. He knew that he wasn't the forgive and forget type. If she'd cheated, if she'd had sex with anyone else whilst they were together, it was over for their marriage. She knew that would be his response. There was no room for a misunderstanding there. Their history saw to that. If their marriage was over, it was to his advantage to keep his cards close to his chest. Not confront her and put it out in the open. No, whichever way he thought it through. His best bet was to play dumb, pretend to know nothing. Keep his eyes wide open and think about how he could get proof.

He wouldn't be eating with them tonight, not now he'd eaten. He'd go for a walk on the beach. That was the perfect time to have a chat with a certain little buddy whose perspective on this situation would be interesting to hear.

To ring her, he'd have to be away from the resort so he could use his phone without getting hassled. He'd walk down the beach, taking his time and enjoying the evening. He'd get the time to think and time away from her. Get some good advice and support from a friend he could rely upon. Tomorrow go on the excursion. He'd given his word he'd be on it and he could stay away from her whilst he worked up a plan.

He finished his post meal coffee; another treat that Black rings didn't get. He thanked the waiter and complimented him for the excellent food. He wanted to go back to his room and get changed, he'd been in the same clothes all day. A shower and a change of clothes would be nice and then he could go for the walk. He looked at his watch, now was about when they'd be coming to eat, if they kept to their normal time.

He got up and began to walk through the restaurant. It was starting to fill up, not busy but heading that way. He walked past the tables and the Greeter station at the entrance when he saw Alice, Sarah and Reuben approach. There was nowhere to hide and nowhere to run. They noticed him before he saw them and they moved across to where he was going.

Alice held out her hands questioningly.

'Where the hell have you been? We were waiting for you.'

Sal shrugged, 'I was hungry so I came down here as soon as I got back.'

She moved to give him her customary peck on his lips. He moved his head so that she kissed his cheek. He didn't kiss her; he didn't even try to hide that he wasn't kissing her.

'Are you OK?' Alice asked.

Sal nodded absentmindedly.

Alice looked quizzically at him. He heard a cough from Sarah.

'Now we've found him, let's get seated. You can catch up over some food. I'm hungry.'

Alice turned to face the Greeter who'd walked over to them.

'Good evening, Ma'am. Table for four? Two Golds, one Pink and a Black?'

Alice nodded.

'Table for three. Two Golds and a Pink. I've already eaten, thanks.' Sal spoke up.

Alice turned to him, he could see the surprise and confusion on her face.

'How? I haven't chosen your meal.'

'I've got moves honey; I've got moves. Told you that for a long time. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading back to the room.'

'Are you not going to sit with us?'

Sal shook his head. 'Why? To watch you stuff your face with food I can't have. Fuck that.'

Before Alice had the chance to respond, they heard a sharp comment from behind them. 'See Donald, I'm not the only one who thinks this is a shitty experience.'

All four of them turned around to see who'd spoken. There was a couple behind them, they'd just walked up. The man nodded at Reuben as if he recognised him. Sal frowned, he was good with faces and this was one he'd seen before. Sal had seen the woman before; she'd been on each of the excursions he'd been on. She was petite with curves in the right places. She was about his age, attractive with dark brown hair, an olive complexion and flashing dark brown eyes.

He nodded at her. 'Hey, I think our spouses have had their heads turned with their little Gold bands and feel that they can treat us how they like.'

She nodded at his words. 'It does feel like that. The treatment from the resort has been bad enough with this Black ring crap, but it's the lack of support from my husband that's annoyed me. Why isn't he on my side?'

'I know right?' Sal commented. 'If this was the other way around, I know I'd be sharing the good food. I'd be going on excursions with Alice. I'd be doing everything to make the vacation as brilliant for her as it was for me. And I'd expect her to do the same, but for some reason she isn't.'

They could all see the woman nodding in firm agreement.

'Yet she doesn't think I'm capable of noticing her acceptance of this treatment of me. She seems to think that if she keeps telling me its good, I'll be happy.'

He leant forward as if he was going to talk quietly, but he made sure that everyone could hear his words clearly. 'You know, I think she's playing me for a twat.'

'That's it. That's it.' The woman stated. 'It's not the poor treatment from the resort, it's his acceptance of it. Why is he getting to go to the spa every day for treatments and I get foisted onto trips he's picked for me? Why doesn't he want to spend time with me?'

'It's almost like it's deliberate, isn't it?' Sal dropped it out there.

'Any way did you have fun today? Your little escape made me laugh.'

Sal nodded at her question. 'Yeah, I went into the capital and met up with a family there.'

'That was a lot more fun than our visit to the distillery, I'm sure. The most excitement we had was you getting off the coach.'

There was a smile on her face and Sal could see her animation as she talked.

'I'm quite jealous, I'd have loved to escape. It was a damn dull day.'

'Yeah, I got that vibe off Reuben.' Sal chuckled. He could see Reuben's face flush red at the comment.

'You didn't go on the excursion?' Alice asked, turning to face Sal.

'All our married life. Hell, throughout our relationship, when I say something, I do it. I move heaven and earth to make sure when I give my word, it happens. I told you I wasn't going without you on any excursions and I damn well didn't despite you trying to handcuff me to the coach.'

Sarah turned to Reuben, 'You didn't say he'd left the tour?'

Sal turned to the woman, 'See, I even get babysitter. Does your husband do that for you?'

The laugh he got in reply was musical. He could see the clenched jaw of her husband; he wasn't enjoying the conversation nor the solidarity between his wife and Sal.

'Sal, you could get in trouble if you don't go.' Alice started.

'Don't worry. I've given my word that I'll be on tomorrows excursion. You don't have to worry about me being in your way. Do me a favour, keep Reuben here.'

He saw the smile on Reuben's face at his words.

'I'll see you tomorrow on the coach.' He said to the lady.

He turned and walked out. He could hear the Greeter talking to his wife and he continued, he didn't look back. He was annoyed at himself. He should've played it better; he should've been more patient. Now she'd realise that he was upset.

He shook his head as he went back to the room. He had a quick shower and changed into fresh clothes. He looked around the room after he was freshened up. He saw his laptop, his camera bag. He looked at the room more closely, how it was laid out, where the furniture was in relation to itself. He moved his laptop and opened it up, carefully angling the screen. He logged on and went into the camera settings, adjusting them to what he wanted.

He was a photographer, an experienced news photographer. He'd run stings with his journalist colleagues. Looking at how they could surreptitiously film people, capture images without arousing suspicion. This was what he did as a damn job, this was a piece of cake. Take the emotion out of it and this was another day at the office. He set the laptop up as he wanted it and then he left the room. Whilst he was out, it was the perfect opportunity to trial whether his little set up would work.