The French Exit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leaving his room, he tucked his ring in a spot where he'd be able to find it again. He had a suspicion that his movements could be tracked by the ring and he didn't want to be followed. He walked down to the beach, via Reception. In Reception he spotted Mr Jacobs.

'I wanted to say thanks. I appreciate what you did, it was kind given the circumstances.'

He could see the man puff himself up. This was the reaction he was hoping for.

'Just to be clear, I'll be on that trip tomorrow. My word is my bond. But I do appreciate your flexibility, it helped a lot.'

Sal gave the man a smile and then walked away. He had moves. Oh boy, did he have moves.

His parents had love, they loved each other and in what could be quite tough times, in quite a tough neighbourhood, the family did have love and constancy always. What they didn't have was money. With five older sisters, money was stretched thin and whilst they never went hungry, they often had hand-me down clothes and an absence of luxuries. What that did mean was that from a young age, he was used to a bit of hustling to make a buck.

He ran errands to help his parents and to make a few cents from his neighbours. He mowed lawns, swept up leaves, cleaned out gutters and did whatever would pull in some money. He got used to spotting opportunities and then being in the right place to take advantage of those opportunities. This helped him enormously when he decided that he wanted to become a photographer. By that time, he'd learnt how to create win-win situations for people. How to align what he wanted with what they wanted so he could help them and make on it.

He loved it when these kind of deals came together. When it all worked. He'd get what he wanted, they'd get what they'd want and a bridge would be built between two sides. A weak bridge but a bridge. Once that link was there, he could work it, build it, harden it and he enjoyed that.

He didn't get 'No' from many people. He was tenacious and would try again and again. Not hassling but understanding why he got a 'No' and what he needed to change to get a 'Maybe' or a 'Yes'. He liked being the underdog and coming back. That was how he saw himself in this vacation now. He he'd been feeling sorry for himself. Trying to understand why his experience was so poor, why he was being treated so badly and not getting support from his wife. Charlie's words had rocked him to his core and he could feel the pain they'd generated.

But slowly he was beginning to get his moves together. Slowly but surely. He had his phone; he could communicate and they didn't know that. He'd got a driver; he could escape and they didn't know that. He was recruiting an ally, a weak ally but he'd a relationship that he could foster and they didn't know that. He'd found a new friend. Tomorrow he was going to spend the day with her. Go from being strangers to being her lifelong buddy in a day. They did not know that.

Most of all, he knew what was going on. He knew that this wasn't chance. Being able to trade his attendance on the excursions for the better food had confirmed that. The resort wanted him on excursions. He was beginning to understand that his predictable absence had a value. He didn't understand the how or why. Charlie's explanation filled a gap, potentially. But it could be something else, that bit he had to explore.

He walked down the beach and turned around a headland and out of site of the resort. The sea breeze was cooling and it was a lovely evening on a completely deserted beach. He was happy to listen to the soothing sound of the waves lapping on the sand. The noise of the bird calls in the evening warmth and walk.

Twenty minutes later, he pulled out his phone and checked he had a signal. He flicked through his contacts and selecting the one person he wanted to speak to more than anyone else in the world, he pressed call.

It rang a few times and he was beginning to wonder if he'd called at a bad time when he heard her voice.

'Flash.'

'Hey Snoopy! You don't know how good it is to hear your voice and you wouldn't believe me if I told you.'

'Keep that line in sweet talk and I'll stay on the call long enough for you to tell me.'

Sal laughed.

'How's your holiday in paradise? Strangled the wife yet? Murdered your brother-in-law? Oh my God, that's it isn't it? This is your one call from prison. Am I your one call from Prison, Flash?'

'Snoops, you don't know how much I've missed you. If you were here, I'd give you such a big hug.'

'Baby doll, if I knew I could get a hug out of you I'd be there. You're notoriously tight fisted with your hugs.'

As soon as he heard her speak, the ever present know of tension in his stomach had begun to fade. He had someone on his team now. There was someone in his corner. Someone to mop his brow and pass him a towel at the end of the round. Someone who could get him ready to go back out into the ring when the bell rang.

'Trust me Snoopy, if you were here, I'd be squeezing the life out of you right now.'

'So why are you speaking to me and not your wife? What's going on Flasherooney?'

'I don't exactly know. No, seriously. I'm in a bit of a mess here. It's all a bit odd and I wanted to have a chat with someone I trust and see what they're take on it was.'

'And I'm the person you trust? Flash, I never suspected you felt this way about me. This could be a real game changer for us.'

'I appreciate the piss taking, but I do need your brain. Give me some shit, but please, please be thinking about what I'm saying because this is messing me up and I don't know up from down.'

'OK, give me a minute. Right, fire away. Small words, you know the drill. Keep it simple, I'm a bit on the thick side and I need it easy to understand.'

Sal laughed again. Snoopy was a colleague at the New York Times. A journalist, a print journalist, an investigative journalist and the two of them often worked together. They were of a similar age and had always got on well. He called her Snoopy, referencing not just the cartoon dog, but her ability to sniff out the story. Her willingness to dig in the dirt patiently until she uncovered the juicy bone and then to bring it into the light for everyone to see. He was Flash to her Snoopy. A reference to his photography and to the speed with which he worked, thought and fought.

They'd been together investigating a slum landlord exploiting illegal immigrant tenants. It had been a combination of both of their work that managed to expose the situation, get the evidence, and create a compelling story to bring light into that particularly dark place. At one point, one of the associates of the landlord had confronted Snoopy and tried to get physical with her. After giving one quick warning that went unheeded, Sal had intervened and ended the harassment. His intervention had been as quick and hard hitting as a bolt of lightning, that intervention and his trade gave Snoopy inspiration for his nickname.

That intervention led to some teasing from their colleagues. For Snoopy and Sal, it had cemented their working relationship closer. As a photographer, Sal got given different assignments depending on what was needed at the time. He could be covering a society event, a sporting fixture or trying to get photographs of criminals appearing in court. Snoopy always tried to get him whenever she'd work that required a photographer and she'd use him outside of that as a source of advice and counsel. He equally enjoyed her company and would cheerfully sit down and have a coffee with her when work was quiet enough to permit such an indulgence.

'Right, this is going to sound a bit funny, and it's a bit embarrassing as well, so please take it a bit easy on me, OK? I'm not in a good place with this. I've got alarm bells ringing like crazy, a lack of evidence and too many suspicions.'

'Sounds interesting for a man who's on holiday with his wife in a Caribbean resort. Tell me more, I am absolutely all ears.'

'OK. So, I'm on vacation with Alice, her sister Sarah, and her husband Reuben. The holiday was pre-booked over the internet by Alice and Sarah and was bloody expensive. It's a two-week vacation and I've been here for what five days now.'

He paused for a moment, trying to think through what to say to be as clear as possible. Snoopy was helpfully quiet.

'We arrived at the airport with some other resort visitors and we all got a mini coach to the resort. All straightforward so far. Before we left there were some medical questionnaires, Alice and Sarah had to see a doctor for some shots but my shots were up to date I guess, so I didn't need to.'

'When we got to the resort, we were all processed quite quickly. We were told to hand over our mobile phones and communication devices.'

'OK.' Sal could hear the wariness in her tone.

'I know. I've never heard of that before. So, I pulled the SIM card out of mine and handed over the handset.'

'Clever. Did they realise?'

'No-ones challenged me, so I guess they didn't. I didn't let them know about my laptop. As far as I'm concerned, it's a work thing not something that I use to communicate.'

'Smart. I take it you've managed to get yourself another handset or else how would you be ringing me?'

'Catches on quick, this girl!'

'Funny man. Carry on.'

'So, I surrender my phone, but keep the SIM card, everyone else surrenders theirs. So next we get given these rings. They're like keys, they give you access around the resort, opening rooms and so on. I get a Black ring; Reuben gets a Pink ring and the girls get a Gold ring.'

'Why are they different?'

'I asked that and I was told that they were allocated at random for our group but that we couldn't swap them around. As a Black ring I've got the basic access in the resort.'

'Sucks to be you.'

'I know right? Pink had a few extra benefits, but the girls have all the luxury upgrades free of charge.'

'Really sucks to be you.'

'It gets better. There are parts of the resort I can't go to, but Ali and Sarah can. They get access to special events that I don't, they get to eat from a menu with the best food on it and they choose what I eat off my special menu.'

'That's shit.'

'Yup, because she won't share. She won't split her food or anything like that. I'm eating alright food and she's dining on the nice grub. I don't get to choose what I eat, she does.'

'So how do you get a better ring? Can you buy one? Pay some extra?'

'Nope. The ring you have is the ring you have. No negotiations, no swapsies, no refunds.'

'OK. I can see that causing some friction in the Calzone household.'

'Not kidding. I wouldn't treat her like this, but I'm having to suck it up. Even Reuben gets a better deal than me.'

'Sounds a bit strange, I get different levels of service but this sounds like when your wife and her sister were booking this, they set you up on different levels and you got the sucky one.'

'I asked her and she flatly denied it.'

'OK. What else? Each day we have different activities.'

'Graded by ring?'

'Yep. My wife gets to choose what I do and everyday I've had different excursions. Trips to distilleries, deep-sea fishing, historical sites.'

'Sounds cool.'

'I have to go or I get in trouble, she stays at the resort. After a few days, I kicked up a real fuss and refused to go so she came with me for one trip and it was lovely, absolutely what I thought our holiday was going to be. We got on, we had fun. But she was the only Gold ring on the trip and since then it's been back to me going.'

'How long are these trips?'

'All day jobs.'

'Hmmmm. Sounds a bit fishy to me.'

'Yup. Reuben's been with me, but again, he's just about the only Pink ring on the trip. Sarah's not been on a single excursion and the only Gold ring on any trip I've seen was Ali on the one with me. Apart from that, zip.'

'So, what do they do at the resort? Like whilst you're gone.'

'Spa treatments, sunning themselves, mixing with the other Gold rings I guess. They don't really say and when I ask I just get generalisms, not good answers.'

'You might be getting the better part of the deal, have you thought that?'

'I did but I don't care. I don't want a better deal, I wanted to spend the vacation with my wife, enjoying ourselves, chilling out in a bit of winter sunshine. Not in one place while she's with her sister in another.'

'Still.'

'I guess. But after a few days I kind of lost patience and refused to go unless she came with me. She refused, so I cut class and spent the day in the local city. I say city, it's their capital but it's a town really.'

'Nice, this boy's got some moves.'

'Don't forget it, Snoop. So, when I get back, the hotel gets the hump with me and so does she. She comes with me the next day and then skips out again and that's where we are.'

'OK. Sounds like a shit place. I'd leave a scathing review on Trip Adviser and flame them all over the socials. But I think you need to have a chat with Alice about her behaviour, not supporting you isn't cool. I'm surprised she's done that. She should have your back.'

'I know. I thought this holiday was a chance for us to reconnect, get things back to how they're supposed to be, but not so far.'

'Right. So, we're all good? Vent over, got it out of your system?'

'Yeah, I think so. Thanks Snoop, this has been useful.'

The phone was silent for a few seconds as they both thought through what had been said.

'Flash sweetie?'

'What?'

'What're you're not telling me?'

Sal stopped. He took a deep breath.

'When I escaped from the trip and went into town, I had my camera with me. I was walking around snapping and I saw this wedding.'

'Everyone loves a wedding.'

'Everyone does and I'm in that group. I invited myself in and shot it. Then today when Ali tried to make me get on the trip, I skipped out and looked up the wedding party. I got the shots into an album and I gave them the album.'

'Nice. That's a class move, dude.'

'Thanks. The father of the bride, I kind of bonded with him and he told me a few truths about the resort. Apparently.' Sal stopped, he paused trying to keep his composure before he spoke on.

'Apparently the Gold rings are all fucking, the Pink rings know about it and are good with it and the Black rings don't know.'

The phone was quiet.

'Snoop. I don't know what to fucking do. I don't know what's going on, I'm fucking clueless and I'm hurting.' He could feel the sting of tears in his eyes. He shut up because he didn't want to risk bawling like a baby on the call.

There was a pause before Snoopy spoke. Her voice was soft, the playfulness from the early conversation entirely missing.

'Sal, I'm so sorry. I love you baby. You've a lot of people that love you and care about you and I'm one of those. Thank you for trusting me and thinking of ringing me. I can't tell you how special it makes me feel that you'd reach out to me.'

'Are you somewhere safe? Are you in any danger?'

'No, I'm OK and I don't think I'm in any physical danger. The pain is emotional, not physical.'

'Do you have a plan for the next day or so? Something that can give me some time to think and give you some space to get yourself under control?'

'Yeah, I'm going to go on tomorrow's trip. I'll stay away tonight until late, then go to bed. If Alice asks or says anything I'll play dumb. I'm a bit mad about the crappy holiday, nothing more. Right now, I haven't got any kind of proof. Just a dumb theory and a sense of being treated badly.'

'Stick to the plan, it sounds like you're doing the sensible thing. Minimise contact with her and that will give you and me some time to work out next steps. One question from me, if she cheats?'

'If she cheats, or if she ever has, its game over. She knows my feeling on sharing. Snoop, you OK if I ring same kind of time tomorrow?'

'Like I said a moment ago Sal, I'm incredibly flattered it was me you reached out to.'

'Yeah, me too. Tomorrow Snoopy dog.'

'Tomorrows Flasher.'

He ended the call and tucked the phone away. Two brains were better than one and he'd rather have her brain working with his than anyone else. He felt better, he'd called the cavalry, he wasn't alone. This situation was his to resolve, but he knew that someone was at his back. He wasn't alone. He had moves and was stringing them together.

He continued his walk, slowly strolling along, thinking. Tomorrow was taken care of. He'd spend time working his newest friend and finding out what she knew. That'd be fun, she appeared quite quick and on the ball. Another potential ally. He had to make sure that he didn't get Reuben foisted onto him, although he thought Reuben wouldn't be in favour of that at all.

The only niggle was a question as to her husband. Could he trust her knowing who her husband was? Funny how they hadn't thought he'd realise. He hadn't mentioned him to Snoop, she'd enough to work on. But he was going to see if he was around again, see if his face popped up coincidentally again.

He stared out to sea and thought about the potential of renting a boat and using telephoto lenses. It was a good idea if all the little Gold tops were having sex outdoors, but that wasn't particularly likely. Like the laptop, a good idea covering his room. But if no-one went into his room, it was completely redundant. Still, the more lines in the water, the better the chances of catching a fish.

He walked on and sat down for a while enjoying the scenery and the difference from being at home. They had two homes, his apartment in the city and her house in the suburbs. They lived in the house in the suburbs but for his work, he'd stay in the apartment half the week. He owned the apartment; it was where he'd lived since he left his parents. He liked the area; it was an area going through the periodic wave of gentrification that New York seemed to live with.

He got a mortgage, he wanted somewhere to own, not to rent and he was happy. It was small but practical for a single man. He slowly overpaid the mortgage; he used the money he was earning from working weekends to settle the debt quicker. He was still paying the mortgage now, but it was a token amount left. Within five years he'd be free and clear. When they got married, Alice wanted to live in the suburbs near her family. The idea of living in the city was alien to her. It was too noisy, too much hustle and bustle. Great fun to visit, but not somewhere she wished to live. She wanted a bolthole she could run away to and have tranquillity, not the hubbub of city life surrounded by strangers.

They compromised, a house in the suburbs wouldn't work for Sal's job. He'd do the commute a couple of times a week, but he'd intersperse those stays with nights at the apartment. She could use that time to see her family and spend time with them, he wouldn't have to worry about the long hours or irregular hours of his work disturb her life. He had enough money to cover his bills and contribute to the joint costs of the house. She came from money, so the house wasn't a problem financially for her.

The house ownership was covered in their pre-nuptial agreement. He'd get to keep his, it wasn't considered a marital asset, she'd keep the house. Her father had insisted upon a pre-nup. He was a lawyer, a successful one and felt that his daughters should have their wealth protected. Sal hadn't minded, he'd got a lawyer to check over the agreement and make sure that it didn't favour either side, that it was fair and honest. As soon as he was told that it was, he signed quite happily. He wanted a marriage like that of his parents, a life-long partner who would be the rock he could build his family on.

He couldn't remember if there was a provision in the agreement for infidelity, he'd have to check. Another damn detail to look at. He shook his head and refocussed on where he was and what he could sense. He focussed on the different noises, separating them, and identifying what they were and where they came from. He looked around trying to spot in the dying day the different colours. He lifted himself up off the sand and began to slowly walk back towards the resort.