The French Exit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He knew the marriage was over, she'd made her choice. He wasn't going to go back to her, not now. Not after this week. He could feel the anger inside him, anger at being played for a fool for so long. He knew intellectually that he'd not seen it because he hadn't looked for it. He'd trusted her, completely, utterly. He didn't check her emails or texts; he was away from home too much. That trust meant it was easy for her to play around.

He knew that he was going to cut her out of his life, end the relationship, get a divorce, and move on. But despite knowing that, it was still painful to be at such an early stage of it. The anguish and pain were real, visceral. He waited, walking until he knew that their bus had gone and then he made his way to the restaurant so he could get himself breakfast. There was a chance she had stayed, realised what she'd done and the depth of his feelings. Food first, then he could answer that question.

He had an appointment with Charlie this evening and he wanted to go along to that. Charlie, as a local was probably his best chance of finding out how to get to that island and getting him some kit so that he could do it safely. As he ate breakfast, he thought through in his head what he'd need.

He'd done stuff like this before; it wasn't new to him. He was used to working with a team, a minimum of an investigative journalist alongside him. But the idea of covertly filming something was bread and butter in his job. He walked through in his head what he wanted.

'Morning. Do you mind if I join you?'

Sal looked up and stood up, he invited Lucienne to join his table.

'Honey, I was hoping to see you today. I wanted to check that you're alright. Our drinks ended badly last night.'

'Thank you for that thoughtfulness. I'm not OK. I'm in a bad place.'

'Alice was absolutely broken up when you left. She stayed with Sarah and Reuben; I don't know if you knew.'

Sal shook his head.

'Nope. I'll be honest, so long as she wasn't with me, I didn't care where she went or with who.'

'She didn't want to go today.'

Sal made a show of looking around. 'Her choice. I guess she went.'

Lucienne nodded. 'I think if she'd have seen you, I think she'd have stayed.'

'I made damn sure I didn't see her. I don't want to see her.'

'Honey, you're married. You'll be on the same flight home together. At some point after they come back from their trip, you'll be together. I get how you're feeling, but it isn't over yet.'

'Lucienne, last night my wife repeatedly lied to me. She and everyone around that table lied to my face repeatedly. She set me up and watched as I got humiliated.'

'She didn't want that. No way on earth. She'd never deliberately set you up.'

'But she did. Say what you like Lucienne, she set me up and I got taken down hard.'

'I don't know, Honey. You got a few good licks in of your own. You cut Donald down a few times.'

'The man is scum, human sewerage. Unfortunately, he'll need to be taken down harder than that for any kind of message to sink in.'

'You've a very strong opinion about someone you just met. Did I paint that bad a picture of him yesterday?'

Sal sat back in the chair. He'd finished eating and had his coffee in his hands.

'I'm a photographer and I have been for years. One thing about us photographers is that we've got a good memory for faces. We have to have. Everyone's face is a bit different, but to take a good photograph, so have to know how to angle a shot, how the shape of a face or head will look best.'

He took a sip of his drink.

'It means when you're working, you look at people's heads. Their faces. Some people think that they'd blur into a faceless mass after a while, but not for me. I remember people's faces, I'm extremely good at it.'

'Alice said you spent your teenage years making money as a photographer.'

'Yep. I used to do weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, parties, graduations, lots of different things. Whilst you guys were cruising through college, I was working. I've seen a lot of faces and whilst I can't always place them, a lot of them I can.'

Lucienne was watching him carefully as he took another sip of the coffee.

'That's how I know you all lied to me last night.'

'Lied'

'Yup, Donald knew Reuben from years ago. They were in the same fraternity at college.'

'Jesus, Sal. I'm so sorry.'

'Spare me, Lucienne. 'We just met the other day', what a crock of shit. I made him when I saw him in Reception on the first day. I didn't know the significance of him being here, but I knew who the hell he was. You all lied to my face. Played me for a twat.'

'Sal, I'm sorry. I enjoyed our day yesterday and I feel bad for being part of that last night. I am sorry.'

Sal shrugged.

'Thanks for being kind enough to say sorry.'

He put down his coffee and stood up from the table.

'I've got a few things I need to be getting on with. Enjoy the rest of the day.'

He started to walk away.

'Sal.'

She called after him. He stopped walking and slowly turned around.

'Don't let this change you, OK? You're a good guy. You'll come through this. Alice was right last night when she said this is just a moment in your life. Don't beat yourself up and don't become someone you're not. I get its painful but be true to yourself.'

Sal nodded his head slowly; it was good advice. 'Thank you.'

He walked back to his room and sorted out the cameras he'd want for that evening. He put together his bag and got a change of clothes ready. He reviewed the footage of Alice's return to the room to get her stuff. She'd been accompanied by Sarah as far as he could see. Sarah had packed her stuff whilst Alice had searched to see if he was around. She'd been frustrated not to find him.

Alice didn't look good. It looked like he wasn't the only one who'd had a bad night. They were arguing about her going, Alice seemed to be wanting to stay but Sarah kept after her. Her choice, Sal thought to himself as he watched them go out of shot and the footage fade to black. He'd done what he could, now it was out of his hands.

He had some time to kill and decided to take some photographs of the resort. He'd been thinking about the article he was going to write on this place and how it'd read. He knew there was some photographs he'd want to accompany it and now was as good a time as any to have a prowl around and take them.

It killed the morning and he got the shots he was looking for. He'd thought about going to the spa and getting a treatment, but then he remembered the cock cage that he was wearing and cursed Alice again. First job in town, getting that damn thing removed. He'd had a look at it. Whilst it looked quite secure, a pair of bolt cutters would make short work of it.

He grabbed a quick lunch; he saw Lucienne as he walked into the restaurant but he decided not to sit with her. He saw the hopeful look appear on her face and then disappear as he sat away from her. After lunch he rang his driver and arranged his pick-up.

It took some messing around to get himself free of the chastity device. There weren't the same locksmiths that he could find in New York, it took time and local knowledge. It was worth the effort when the lock was finally cracked and he slipped himself out of it. He tipped the grinning man well; glad he wouldn't be seeing him again.

He walked to meet Charlie, grabbing a beer on the way. He hoped that Charlie hadn't forgot about their meeting. Charlie was on the same chair as before. Sal waved to him as he approached and was glad to see the man's face light up with a smile.

'I was worried you wouldn't be back. How're you doing?'

'It's been the shittiest week of my life, but things are starting to change in my life.'

'I'm sorry Sal. You're a good man.'

'Thank you for telling me, Charlie, there's a lot that wouldn't have.'

'I didn't want to Sal; I didn't want to. You want a beer?'

'Still finishing this one thanks. We still on for tonight?'

'Damn right. Going to take you dancing with the boys, take your mind off your marriage.'

Sal laughed, 'You don't know how good that'd be. Even for an hour or two, a break from being in my head would be brilliant. But I've a different favour to ask.'

'Fire away, if I can help I will.'

'I want to go to the island where the Gold rings have gone.'

Charlie looked uncomfortable at the idea.

'I want the evidence. If I'm going to divorce the cheating cow, I need evidence. I need a boat to get me to the island and to pick me up.'

'Sal, what you're asking.'

'Charlie, I work for the New York Times as a photographer. This is what I do as a day job. I sneak into places and take photographs. I can pay, can you help me?'

Charlie sat quietly. Sal didn't rush him. He knew he had hooks in the man, he was patient. This was his kind of fishing.

'One of my daughters' husbands is a fisherman, he's got a boat. I'm sure he'll do it. It'll cost.'

'Happy to pay. I need to go to the island, get some photographs and then be picked up. I'm happy to get a kayak and paddle my way in the last hundred meters or so if they can line me up with a beach.'

Charlie smiled, 'You done this before?'

'Something very, very similar. A private island owned by an extremely wealthy man. That time there was two of us.'

'Let me get Archie, I'll introduce you. You can make the arrangements between you.'

There was time for a few beers to be shared and enjoyed in the afternoon sun as Charlie went and fetched Archie. Archie was a big guy, rangy from years of physical work. He was a fisherman with his own boat. He sailed, took commissions from tourists when they were available and caught fish when they weren't.

Charlie helped with the conversation, he knew the name of the island and between them they agreed how it was going to work and the costs involved. A beer, a handshake and some money changed hands so that Archie could pick up a canoe that Sal could use to get inland and back out to the boat.

It was a slow afternoon, an afternoon of different people, of conversations and drinking. Sal wasn't going to get drunk. He was a press photographer; he could tie down with the best of them but he wasn't looking to find oblivion. It was a pleasure on a hot afternoon in a dusty neighbourhood to have a few cold beers and take the edge off his constant stress over his marriage.

But now it was his time, now the scales had fallen from his eyes and they were in the ring with him. What was it they said in that Rocky film, the one where Rocky was an older guy? 'Welcome to Rocky world.' Well, it was time they came into his world. He had moves, he was going to use those moves to get on with his life, get the bitch out of his life and given them a little thank you for the pain. And he was going to do it legal, do it his way, be the man he was.

He ate with the family. He had water, cold water and a simple meal of fish with rice and peas. Simple and tasty. He enjoyed sitting and laughing with them. Listening to them talk. It was companionship. Like when he'd been a kid. They were curious about him and what he did, why he took so many photographs. What his life was like. Quick questions, good food, easy atmosphere. There were a couple of times where he wondered what Alice was doing, how she was. But there was always something going on that could distract him and bring him back to the here and now.

As the afternoon began to turn to evening, Charlie went to get himself ready. A couple of the other men also vanished. When people spoke to him, he spoke. When it was quiet, he enjoyed the relaxed vibe and warm air. Charlie came back and they walked down to the club together. Sal had thought it was going to be Charlie and him, but more people went along.

He began taking photographs as they got there. Charlie kept disappearing and reappearing with different friends. Sal got introduced to the lot. He did his usual trick and tried to blend in and see what was going on. It was a colourful affair with the men dressed in their vibrant clothes. The music started; a band supplemented as the evening went on by a DJ. Sal knew he was getting some great shots. He could capture the party spirit, that casual Caribbean vibe. As the evening progressed, he found himself being pulled onto the dancefloor by different partners. Partners that wouldn't accept his excuses or apologies. He danced and drank, took his photographs, and laughed.

It was late when he got picked up by the taxi driver. It took time to say goodbye to his friends and dance partners. He gave Charlie a hug and thanked him.

'Don't let that resort be your memory of our island.' He told Sal as his parting words.

The next morning Sal was late to breakfast, he only just caught it in time. He grabbed a couple of croissants, some fruit and a coffee and sat out enjoying the ocean view as he ate.

'Can I join you, Honey?'

'Of course. Would you like anything?'

'A coffee.'

Sal got up and made a coffee for Lucienne. He bought it back and sat down.

'How was your day yesterday? I tried to find you a couple of times, but I couldn't seem to time things right.'

'I wasn't on site. I met up with a friend, I think I told you about him. I was shooting at his dance club.'

'The father of the bride? I'm jealous, was it fun?'

Sal nodded. 'It was a long day, tiring. I'm happy with what I got. He wasn't lying when he said it was colourful.'

'Contemporary music.'

'No, old time reggae. They had a local band and a DJ. It was a lovely, relaxed, community vibe. A real mix of ages.'

'Get some good shots.'

'Yup. It was totally different to our clubs. US clubs are like meat markets, lots of preening, lots of beautiful young people. This was a family affair, old people enjoying themselves with their friends and their families. I had a good time.'

'Honey, I'm glad. I was worried when you left yesterday.'

Sal shrugged and took a sip of his coffee.

'I keep getting told, it's a moment in time. Let it ride, time will heal. At the moment, I think I'm still in the middle of the maelstrom. Yesterday was nice. It was a respite, a chance to regain some energy. I slept well last night.'

'And today?'

'Today, I think I'm going to go and have some treatments. I fancy having a good look around the Spa and seeing what this resort has to offer.'

He looked at her. 'What? You seem surprised.'

'No, I don't know. I didn't know how you'd respond to the events of the last few days. I guess I'm kind of surprised that you're still actually here. Part of me thought when I couldn't find you yesterday that you'd cut your vacation short and gone home.'

'I won't lie, I've thought about that. It's still very much at the forefront of my thoughts.'

She reached over and touched his arm.

'Speaking selfishly, I'm glad you didn't. I know you don't perhaps believe me, but our day together was one of the nicest days I've spent in a long time.'

Sal looked at her, she looked anxious.

'I enjoyed our trip and our meal. For me, it kind of went downhill after that.'

'Honey, I know this is a big ask, but can we hang out today?'

'Have they asked you to spy on me again?'

He could see the pain on her face at his question and he felt bad. It was a cheap shot.

'I'll do you a deal. A one time, special, never to be repeated deal for today. You can spend time with me, we'll hang out.

Her face broke into a smile. He held up a finger.

'But.' He paused to get her attention. 'But, the first time you lie to me, bullshit me, try to pull the wool over my eyes, I walk and you leave me completely alone for the rest of the day.'

A small smile played across her face. 'Leave you alone for the rest of the day?'

'Yeah, I did enjoy the time with you. You're beautiful, clever and a good conversationalist. When you're not lying through your teeth. It'll be cool to hang out with you. But as soon as you do any kind of that shit, and you'll know because I'll call you out, we're done.'

She stuck her hand out. 'OK, Honey, I'll take that deal. With the observation that I only leave you alone for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, you're fair game.'

Sal smiled. 'I can live with that. Now, is there any particular treatment you'd like to do?'

She laughed that beautiful, musical laugh and Sal found himself having to adjust himself in his pants. He smiled; it was good to be free.

'I love the sauna and steam rooms. Maybe a mud bath if you can stand it. Manicure and pedicure are pretty much de rigeur. Possibly a massage.'

Sal finished his coffee and stood up. 'I'll meet you in front of there.'

Lucienne stood up and gave him a kiss on the cheek. 'Thank you for giving me a second chance.'

'Let's see how long you last. I doubt we'll get to lunch, but I'll spend time with you until that first lie.'

Sal walked back to his room and got himself changed for the day at the spa. He'd enjoyed Lucienne's company the other day and today should be no different. He was interested to see how long it took for her to lie. He wasn't going to try and trip her up. She was company for him and he needed time until he got busy tonight. A relaxing day being pampered was what the doctored ordered.

They met at the entrance to the Spa and with the Gold rings being away there was enough capacity for them to be able to do pretty much what they wanted. So, Sal got his first manicure. It was something that he knew Alice did from time to time and he knew it involved nails. The actuality was a pleasant surprise. He got the pedicure as well and he decided that this was something that was going to carry on in his new post-marriage life.

He sat in the chair next to Lucienne, but he was busy talking to the manicurist and so they didn't get a chance to chat.

'Well?' asked Lucienne when they met afterwards.

'Well, what?'

'What do you think?'

He held out his fingers so she could admire them. She chuckled at him. 'First time?'

He nodded.

'Would you do it again?'

'Yeah. It wasn't as weird as I thought it'd be. I did think it was a girl thing.'

'Honey, men can do it as well. I had gel nails done, look.'

He looked at her nails, they looked good. Cleverly, there was a metallic sheen to the pink colour nails. He hadn't seen nails done like that.

'Wow. I like those, that's a clever effect.'

'Yeah, I was surprised, it was new to me as well and I'm a regular at nail bars. Fancy trying a mud bath next.'

'You're one for one so far. Do we get to talk in the mud bath?'

'Ha, you found out my trick. Do things where I can't manage to upset you and then when you're starting to enjoy yourself, then I've got you.'

'Lucienne, I enjoy the time I spend with you. You're fun, clever, incredibly easy on the eye.'

'I'm not good enough though, am I?'

The two of them got shown back to the Spa reception and then through to the mud baths. They elected to share a bath; both were wearing swimsuits to preserve their modesty.

'You look good like that.'

Lucienne said appreciatively, looking Sal up and down.

'Thanks. I work out a few times a week.'

'Boxing?'

He nodded. Lucienne got helped into her bath first and then he did. He flinched at the heat but got habituated and slowly sank down until he was covered.

'You any good?'

'Al didn't like me fighting. She came and watched once and didn't like the experience. I promised her I wouldn't fight again.' He paused for a moment.

'Looks like I'll be able to get back on with that soon.'

'My brothers both boxed. Nothing special, they were both amateur.'

'Yeah?'

'Boston leagues, Division three. How far did you get?'

'New York, Division One.' He said calmly.

She sat bolt upright, 'Fuck off.'

'Nope, you know me, I'm a straight shooter. New York, Division One for three years before Ali made me stop.'

'Bloody hell.'

'Flyweight obviously.'

'Well, that explains how you look like that.' She laughed to herself. 'Honey, Donald and Reuben both think they can take you in a fight. Guess they'd get a nasty surprise.'

1...7891011...14