The Ghost Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Morris half smiled, "Bobby and her were a thing Maria. I think she was in love with him."

Maria frowned, "Poor girl." She looked over at Reynolds thinking what if it had been him, she would feel so lost. "What did she find?"

Reynolds looked through the folders finding some of the old investigations from his police files. He came upon the file with Lawson's name on it. It was the largest of all of them, and without thinking he sat all the others down on the desk before him. Opening the file, he was amazed at how thorough Bobby had been in his investigation. He had never shown the entire thing to Morris before, but now he could see why Bobby was so sure about Mark's existence.

"Earth to Morris?" Maria threw an eraser at him to get his attention.

Looking up at her annoyed, "What woman?"

"What has all your attention? Please share."

He started to explain what was in front of him. How Bobby had started his investigation into the uptick of gang violence around the Dallas/Fort Worth area. He had mapped areas showing what kind of crimes were happening and marking them from moderate to severe. Then the Lawson case appears, with the FBI's report included. The report was marked with highlighter and pencil markings where he had question marks, or actual questions of what was written in the report. Stella Dawson's name of course was on the report in question. The entire folder showed how he pieced the gang violence, Lawson, the gang on gang crime, and the cartel together. In several of his writings he also noted he didn't trust anyone but Morris Reynolds.

Reynolds collected his thoughts, thinking about everything that had happened in the past few months. Chasing Lawson, teaming with Johnson, leaving the FBI. Everything was connected, but who was pulling the strings? The cartel was definitely still a player, and Jack had shed some light on who some of the players were in the government. He looked at Maria and asked her. "Have you heard from Alex Johnson?"

Maria furrowed her eyebrows thinking, "You know I haven't. It's been months since I heard from him."

"Don't you think that is weird? We didn't officially quit working with him. He was supposed to get with us after Mexico but never did."

Maria leaned back in her chair. "Do you think Alex is behind this?"

"I would hope not, but anything is plausible. Remember we told you that someone kept alerting the cartel of our movements. Lawson never trusted us thinking we were giving them the information."

"What do you think now?"

Morris looked down at the file, then over at the letter Jack Simmons had written. He was deep in thought once again, rubbing the bottom of his chin, occasionally looking over at Maria, which was letting him sort whatever was going on in his mind. He snapped his fingers at her as he spoke, "Hear me out and I can't believe I'm even thinking this." He shook his head but continued. "Alex said he was working directly with the President, correct?"

Maria nodded her head, "Sure, but I am also sure he was answering to someone else."

"I don't think so. The President is listed in the letter written by Jack, we all knew in the office how they grew up together in the same town and were friends. Why would Jack turn on his own friend?" Maria shrugged, but allowed him to continue. "Secondly nobody has heard from Johnson. Then Bobby is hunted down like prey and taken out in broad daylight. That sounds like someone in high places to me. Most gangs or cartels wouldn't be so open about taking someone out. Don't you think?"

"I think I know where you're going with this, but it sounds ludicrous. We have no proof, and if we go sniffing around, our heads will be the next targets."

"We won't snoop, someone else will."

"Who would that be Einstein?"

"The recruits. Nobody knows who they are, except us. They are mercenaries, and are trained to do this. It makes complete sense to use our own resources. Meanwhile I'll send our mutual friend everything we have here including Jack's letter and let him also look into it."

"You will make copies before you send them out?"

"I'm not a Neanderthal woman."

*********

March 17th 2019 - Early morning 4 am

Scott found Mark in the RV working away on the computers. He had been in the RV working non-stop since he had to tell Lorrie of what happened to her parents. He had made a few calls to Robbie and received more information about the people he was hanging out with, including the one who was in protective custody. The man was low level but might have information on where Alonso was hanging out.

Scott approached Mark, "Hey buddy, you doing alright?" Not acknowledging his friend, he continued to run facial recognition through various forms of databases across the nation. Scott leaned over his shoulder, "have you tried toll roads or bridges?"

Mark stopped typing, and turned his chair, "What do you want Scott?"

"You need sleep, and I'm sure you haven't been eating. We are all worried about you."

Mark turned his chair back to the screen and continued to enter more information into the computer, opening the toll roads and bridges across the Midwest. "Scott, go back in the house and comfort your wife. You have a long day ahead of you."

"Lorrie wants you to come with us, so do I."

"I have work to do, and I hate funerals Scott."

"You just don't want to go back Mark. you don't want to walk into the same place where your father is buried, and face your past."

Mark stood up and stepped toward Scott coming within inches of Scott. "Don't tell me what I want and what I don't Scott! You have no fucking clue what I feel, or think! Everyone thinks they know me, but nobody does! Please leave me alone!" He took a breath in and a step back, collecting himself, before sitting back in the chair.

Scott stood speechless, as this side of Mark had not been something he frequented. When he found his voice, he finally spoke. "Sorry man, I...I'm sorry. I'll leave you to it."

As Scott turned to leave and opened the door, Mark spoke up, "Wait!" Scott turned, "I'm sorry for yelling, I just need to do this. It's my way of coping Scott."

Scott nodded and left the RV, closing the door behind him. A beep on the computer alerted Mark that something was found. He turned and noticed a traffic cam in Louisville had captured a picture of a man that looked like Alonso crossing the toll bridge. He did not have a pass, so it took a picture of the driver and license plate. He had something finally to go with. He searched the license plate and it belonged to a rental company.

Putting the information in the computer he was able to trace the car through its GPS, heading south on I-65 through Kentucky, stopping in Nashville Tennessee where it hadn't moved in twenty-four hours. Transferring the information onto a USB drive, he closed the computer down, and went to unload the Suburban. Making sure he had his weapons and plenty of ammo in tow, he grabbed some clothes.

He looked at the house, and thought about the people that were sleeping in it. They were better off not knowing what he was about to do. This was not about vengeance; it was about the future of all his friends and loved ones. He was out for blood this time, and to damn if anyone stood in his way. Starting the Suburban, he opened the laptop beside him, loaded the USB and put on the GPS tracker, locating the vehicle and the last whereabouts of Alonso. Hopefully it would be his last resting spot as well.

*************

Washington D.C. 7 am

"Mr. Williams, you better have some good news for me." The President was running out of patience as he wanted everything done immediately. He felt the job had to be done the same day to ensure no more information was leaked.

Williams sighed before speaking on the phone, "Yes sir, we have executed both subjects in their residence."

Conklin smiled, "Look like an accident this time?"

"Yes sir, we made sure it did. I don't believe anyone will be questioning it this time."

"Good, do you have information on the last two?"

Williams looked at his watch, "Sir, my second team should be in Montana executing the mission in one hour. As for the last piece, I am still searching but I do believe the ghost will be revealing himself very soon."

Conklin scuffed a little. "Lawson is good, I hope you have a foolproof plan."

"Sir, don't you worry, we will clean up your mess." As he hung up the phone, Williams watched the firetrucks and police arrive onto the scene at Maria Downey's engulfed home. The gas explosion leveled the house, and set damage to neighboring houses. Multiple homes were on fire, and the chaos surrounding the neighborhood made the man smile. He motioned his men to drive forward to the next rendezvous point, as he called the Montana team.

**********

OKC - 9am

Scott furiously tried to find out what Mark might have found on the computer. He cursed at himself for training him so well at hiding things, as he had erased his search. Going back inside the house, he had no idea how he would break the news to the girls. Kelsey had been acting strange before they learned about Lorrie's parents. He was hoping that this wouldn't make her even more distraught.

"Scott, did you get Mark to agree?" Lorrie asked him as he walked into the kitchen.

Scott must have had a look on his face, because Kelsey could tell something was wrong. "Where is he Scott?"

Hanging his head, "I... I don't know. The Suburban is gone."

Kelsey ran outside as Lorrie came closer to Scott. "He's going to get himself killed."

Scott brought her in for a hug, "Sometimes I think that's when he will be truly happy Lorrie."

Kelsey came back inside, "Scott he took the fucking keys to the RV, where's the spare?"

"You have the only keys Kelsey; I don't have any."

Punching the wall, putting a hole in it, she looked at her knuckles as blood surfaced. "Sometimes I want to kill him myself."

***********

Nashville, TN 1600

Mark pulled into the bustling Music City, heading toward what seemed to be an industrial area along the Cumberland River. The GPS of the vehicle he had been tracking had moved a few spots but remained in Nashville. While driving his laptop had been running a program seeking locations the vehicle had spent the most time. This would allow Mark the opportunity to predict where he might be heading in the upcoming future.

He had turned his phone off when he left Oklahoma City, and as he turned it back on, he found several text messages and missed calls from Kelsey. Most were of her being angry that he left without her, but the last ones were her being worried about him. Mark needed this time alone, he needed to search himself and deal with his own demons before he could deal with her.

Pulling into a bar-b-que place, he went inside to eat. Sitting toward the back to watch the people he ordered and waited on his food. He was located between two points Alonso seemed to frequent. One being a truck drop yard near the river, and a residential area across the interstate. Looking around the restaurant, the people around him looked like the average person that would live in the area.

The waitress brought his food, trying to flirt with him most likely for a bigger tip. As he ate, he noticed his phone vibrating, so he picked it up and looked at the text message. It was from Justin saying, 'Hey need to talk as soon as possible. Call my wife's phone, not safe on this line.' He finished eating, and paid his bill leaving a generous tip.

As he left, he dialed the number waiting for an answer. "Mark!"

"Hey what's wrong?"

"Mark, a couple guys came to the house and tried to ambush Justin. He took them both out, but he is pretty bad. I didn't take him to the hospital because he asked me not too, but took him to a friend of his."

"How bad is he?"

"I don't know Mark; he is being sedated for his own good. All I know, we are being kept at this ranch while a few of his friends are going to our house and cleaning up. I hope they find out who they were."

"Don't worry Jessica, they will take care of you, keep me updated on Justin."

"I will Mark, take care of yourself." The phone hung up, with Mark climbing into his SUV. Before starting the vehicle, he thought about what was going on. Why would anyone go after Justin and his wife? He never reached out to Justin, it was always the other way around, and they went through third parties. The cartel should never have found out about him.

A car pulled up beside Mark's SUV, with two men exiting. As they walked in front of him, Mark watched them closely. They were Hispanic, dressed in nice silk shirts, with khaki pants. Their western boots looked to be snake skin. They stuck out like a sore thumb from what Mark found to be in the neighborhood.

He started the vehicle and backed up, noticing the plate on the vehicle being from Florida. He wrote it down quickly and made his way across the street to run the vehicle. It came back to a shell corporation run from a government contractor in Texas.

Picking up his phone he called Morris Reynolds phone, and it went straight to voicemail. Not thinking much about it, he tried Maria Downey's, same thing. The thought that neither one would answer their phone made him wonder. He looked up the number for Tanque, and dialed it. The secretary answered it and sounded like she had been crying.

"Is Reynolds or Maria Downey in the office?" Mark asked.

The secretary sniffed, "You must not have heard, they died this morning in an explosion. The gas line was leaking and it ignited earlier while they were sleeping."

Mark hung the phone up with her. He was more confused than ever, but also concerned. He had heard about the shooting of Bobby just a couple of days ago, but figured it was one of the gangs he was investigating. Now the attack on Justin, and the deaths of Morris and Maria, he figured the cartel was out for revenge for Tejada's death.

The two men came out of the restaurant, and headed toward the industrial area toward the river. Mark followed at a distance, wondering if they would go to the location frequented by Alonso. After a couple of miles, they pulled into what looked to be a drop yard for trailers, most being cargo containers from ships that transfer to semi-trailers. There were two men at the gate, both armed, which made Mark suspicious that this was a cartel run operation.

Picking up the phone he texted Kelsey and told her to let him know when they landed in Indiana, and to make sure she had her guard up. He then turned his phone on silent, and laid his seat back, feeling his eyelids become heavy. He would sleep a couple of hours and then find out what was going on across the street in the drop yard.

******************

Indiana - 1800

The plane taxied over to the hanger where a lone vehicle waited for them. Lorrie, Scott and Kelsey walked down the stairs of the private jet over to Sheriff Allen. "Hello folks, sorry to meet under these circumstances." Taking Lorrie by her arm, "Ma'am, I'll take you to your brother straight away."

Lorrie smiled at him and nodded as they climbed into his cruiser. Kelsey sat in the front with the Sheriff as Scott and Lorrie sat in the back. Kelsey asked the Sheriff if he had heard from Mark. "Not since early this morning when he asked if I would pick you all up. He was concerned for your well-being."

Scott asked, "Have there been any breaks in the case?"

"I really can't divulge in any of the investigations. What I can tell you is the violence has seemed to end. We also have no reports of drug activity in our county."

Lorrie wasn't too thrilled at the Sheriff's euphoric attitude. "I'm glad that the death of my parents could bring peace to your community Sheriff." Kelsey smirked at the comment as she hadn't been privy to this side of Lorrie.

Scott whispered to Lorrie, "He didn't mean anything by what he said.

"I know, I'm just mad Scott."

Sheriff Allen looked into the rear-view mirror at Lorrie, "Mrs. Maywood, if I may. I apologize if my comments offended you. What I meant to say is that since the crimes occurred that day, we have not noticed any upticks of any other crime. That was a good thing because it means whomever did this is no longer in the area. We do believe it was an outsider and they had a person in mind when they came here. I believe your parents were collateral damage."

Scott looked at the Sheriff, "Do you think they were after Robbie?"

"I'm not sure sir, but if they were, I would think they would have stuck around to finish the job."

Kelsey looked over her shoulder at Scott. "I bet that is who Mark went after. He knows where these people are."

"I hope not, from what I hear, the FBI are even afraid to go after them without SWAT." Sheriff Allen stated.

Scott and Kelsey made eye contact, with worry in both their eyes. Kelsey turned in her seat and looked out the passenger window as silence filled the air. Her thoughts went back to the night she wanted to take back. She regretted running from him and going to her room. She hated herself for not telling him how much she was in love with him, and she didn't care if he never felt that way about her. A lone tear was swept away by her finger as they pulled onto an unfamiliar farm.

Lorrie asked, "Where are you taking us?"

"Robbie is here under protective custody."

Scott then asked, "Who's place is this?"

Sheriff Allen pulled up to the front porch and put the vehicle in park. "Mine, hope you don't mind."

They climbed out and walked up to the door, with it opening revealing Robbie leaping toward Lorrie pulling her in for a hug. "I'm so sorry Lorrie, I should have been there."

She hugged him back, trying to hold the tears back, "It's ok, it'll be ok."

Later after everything had settled down and they had unpacked, Lorrie and Robbie sat on the back porch watching the sunset alone. It had been the first time in over ten years they were able to be alone and just talk.

Robbie reached over and hugged her closer. "Lorrie, I've been such an ass."

"Stop, you know I will always love you."

"Yeah, you're just like mom. I'm sure Kelsey told you all about how I was when she found me a few weeks ago."

"She did, but I also know from talking to mom, you turned your life around and had been doing much better. Don't sell yourself short, we all make mistakes."

He hung his head low, "I made the biggest of all though. What I did was bring these bad people here, and it cost many lives."

Lorrie looked over at him, puzzled and concerned. "What do you mean Robbie?"

He rubbed his hands on his jean covered knees, looking like a scared little kid, "I had heard about these parties in Indianapolis, and I asked around if anyone here was going. Becky and her boyfriend said they were so I tagged along."

He stopped and looked out over the pasture, and she encouraged him by placing her hand over his. "The first couple times we went it was cool, drinking and some weed, nothing too serious. Then Becky found out her boyfriend was cheating with some chick there at the party. Next thing I know we're heading home, and I'm in the middle of this argument between the two. That was the end of the parties."

"I don't understand..."

"Let me finish Lorrie." He cleared his throat. "I took dad's truck at night and drove to the parties by myself. That girl turned out to be Courtney, and she wanted me to take her to Becky's boyfriend. So, I did, and that's when these guys followed her into town. The parties started to come here, at first in old abandoned houses and barns. It was so much fun."

He continued, "After about a month of it, some of us noticed that we had an itch for something. It was like we needed something but had no idea what it was. It was like we needed only what they had at these parties. Nothing would satisfy us except what they gave us to smoke and drink there."

1...56789...11