The Ghost Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sir, I need to speak to you about something very sensitive."

The President gave his signature smile to the man across from him. "Come on, it can't be too bad or I would have heard about it earlier."

Clearing his throat, Stan leaned forward. "Sir, there are many people who know what you have done and what you are doing. They are about to expose you, and that would be very bad for you and this country sir."

"What do you mean by knowing what I have done?"

"Sir, they know about the hits, the trade agreements with the cartels. They even know about the threats against your family by a Mexican cartel."

Conklin turned red as he fought the anger inside. "Who are they Stan?"

"Sir, I am not sure who they are. I have not been privy to that information."

"Stan, where did you get this information?" Conklin knew he would have to tell him.

Stan looked at the most powerful man in the country, and knew he had to lie. "Sir, I heard it through the grapevine so to speak. It is spreading like a wildfire. I believe it is in your best interest to get in front of it before it breaks to the public."

The President stood up and went over to the other side of the desk, leaned onto it right in front of the Secret Service agent. "Stan, you are in no position to tell me what I should or shouldn't do. I could pick up this phone, and end your career, and you wouldn't be able to work for any agency ever again."

"Yes sir, I am aware of that fact. That is why I came to you, because I knew you could do all of that, but wouldn't. You know that I am telling the truth, because I have never lied to you about anything."

Conklin knew he was correct, and Stan was a trusted member of the Secret Service with an impeccable record. "Don't say a word to anyone about this. Get out of here, go home. Let me think on this."

As soon as Stan walked out of the office, he let out a long breath. He was not only fearful of losing his position in the Secret Service, but losing his life. The alternative would have been Lisa and he never wanted to see her hurt, so he did it. However, he didn't do it in the way they wanted him too. Would there be consequences to his actions?

**************

Seattle Washington - The next day

Sokolov's men met Juan and Refugio at the airport, and drove them to his mansion just outside of Seattle. They ushered them into the marble covered foyer to the large library where two men sat smoking cigars and drinking what looked to be vodka. Both were large men, covered in tattoos to their necks. They were wearing suits, but with turtlenecks instead of button-down shirts.

Juan and Refugio stood in front of the two men waiting for them to make acquaintance. They never said anything nor looked their way before Juan spoke. "Are you Sokolov?"

The one on the right had a scar over his right eye that traced down the side of his face. He looked up at Juan and Refugio with the coldest eyes. "My name is Vladimir Sokolov," he pointed with his cigar to his friend, "this is Sergei Putin." He took a huge draw off his cigar, then blew it into the direction of the men before him. "Why are you here before me?"

"I am Juan Guijosa, the boss of JAG cartel. I am here to offer you a deal that would be very profitable for you and me."

The two men laughed, "I am already very profitable. Mother Russia is in debt to me, and soon so will the U.S."

Juan stepped forward a step, while the two looked upon him. "I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I can assure you the current President will not budge unless he is pressed."

Sokolov stood, towering over the two Hispanic men. "I don't care about the President. I have been in business since arriving here and only have become more powerful, not worrying about you or anyone else. I know who your predecessor was, and he was stupid for thinking the government would work for him. That's why they killed him, and now you are making the same mistake."

Juan balled up his hands into a fist, wanting to strike the man in front of him. Refugio stood, "Mr. Sokolov, what my boss is wanting is quite simple; peace among you, him and Caudillo."

Sokolov smiled, "is he still calling me crazy?" Sergei joined in his laughter.

Juan spoke again, "Vladimir, if the three of us map out this nation and split it in three parts, we would conquer not only this country but the world. There would be nothing or nobody that would stand in our way."

"Ah, what makes you think the three of us could work together. I know I want everything, even what you want."

"Because the three of us will take out the head of the snake. This country will be devastated when their government collapses around them. The three of us need each other to grow, and to thrive."

Sergei chimed in, "Vlad, we have taken out many leaders, but the President would not be wise. He has too many people surrounding him, we would be caught."

"Yah, I agree comrade, but I will hear what the little cartel man has to say," as he smiled an evil grin ear to ear.

************

May 1st, 2019 - Los Angeles Ca. Morning

The caravan pulled into the downtown area with the local police escorting them. The President was out of the country on a peace-making deal, and Madelyn Conklin and her two youngest children were on their own trip. She was going to see her family who lived in Beverly Hills, but first she was to speak at a women's conference as the keynote speaker.

As the Suburban carrying her and her teen age children parked at the curb of the hotel, they noticed there was a slight crowd, but not a huge one like when the President would be there. The kids were always happy to be out of the limelight, and truth be told so was Madelyn.

Halfway to the front doors of the hotel, she heard a scream. She turned and found her middle daughter lying in a pool of her own blood, then she felt a burning sensation in her chest, and as soon as she hit the ground her son fell on her. The Secret Service lied on top of them to shield them from any other gunshots.

Madelyn could hear the commotion from the crowd, women crying, men yelling to the police where the shots came from. Sirens were wailing in the distance as her agent in charge of protecting her was trying to keep her conscious. Suddenly everything went dark for her.

*********

May 2nd 2019

Oklahoma City, OK. 10 am

Something woke him up, 'where am I?' The darkness was still there, but he could see a vague light, if only he could get through the door. He tried reaching out, but couldn't move. There's that voice once again, it's so angelic to him. He had that burning pain still in his belly, and shoulder. What happened to him?

Feeling something soft in his hand, he grabbed onto it. He heard a tiny shriek, the softness going away as he heard footsteps move across the floor rapidly. He opened his eyes just a bit to see nothing but brightness. His mind was wondering if he was in heaven and if Maria was there to see him home.

He heard a commotion and to his right a door pushed inward with several people coming into the door. Most were medical staff, one though was dressed in black pants, red shirt, and had red hair. He knew her, and he wanted her to be closer to him. He tried to say something but couldn't as his throat have felt full. He started to panic, and tried to lift himself off the bed.

"Nurse, give me 50mcg of fentanyl stat." He continued to struggle, as the nurse handed the doctor the syringe. He quickly injected the medicine in the IV watching as it traveled into the veins of the patient. The man lying there rolled his eyes and went back to sleep.

Later that day, Mark woke up normally, and found Kelsey holding his hand. Her head was on the bed and she was asleep. He didn't want to wake her, but he was so thirsty. He moved his hand, and she became alert instantly. "Mark, oh my God, I knew you would come back to me." She raised herself almost onto the bed to kiss him on his cheek.

"Where am I?"

"You're at OU Medical Center, let me go get the doctor."

He held onto her hand, "Please no. I like it just being me and you."

She blushed as she rubbed the back of his hand with her thumb. She tried not to, but she teared up for a slight minute. "You gave me a scare Mark. I... I thought I lost you." She handed him an ice chip to suck on.

"I'm not going anywhere yet. How did I get here anyway?"

She pulled up the chair she had just kicked out from under herself. "It's kind of a weird story, but when I arrived at the police station, the detectives were trying to track you. Dugan was very worried about you, and told me what had happened. I of course told him about those guys in Indiana. He called the OKC FBI and they never knew anything about you being transferred into their custody."

Mark asked for another ice chip, his throat sore but feeling much better with the coolness running down the rawness he felt.

"So anyway, Dugan and I jumped into our SUV, and headed south. We received a call from dispatch that their vehicle had been spotted, and they sent us coordinates. When we arrived, you were barely alive. You had bled so much."

Mark tightened his grip wanting to bring her close, but couldn't due to the pain. "What about the other two?"

She stiffened, "You killed the one, he was shot pretty bad. The other one is in a coma, and they don't know if he will ever recover. What the hell is going on Mark?"

He shook his head at her. He was about to say something when a doctor came into the room. "I see that you are awake. Glad you are calm this time." He checked his vitals and wounds, nodding his head at the process. "You have company, do you mind visitors?"

Mark looked over at Kelsey, and she shrugged. "Sure doc, why not."

Mark and Kelsey were both taken back by the presence of detective Dugan, but he had two others in tow. One was in fatigues, and Mark thought he recognized him, and the other was a blond leggy woman in her early twenties. Dugan spoke for the group. "Mark, I hope you're feeling better. We all were worried about you, and prayed for a speedy recovery."

"Well detective, I am getting better. Don't think I would be breathing if it wasn't for you giving me a pocket knife. I do believe he would have beat me to death with my hands behind my back."

"Lawson, do you remember me?" The Colonel asked as he moved to the bedside.

Mark looked at the man who had to be in his sixties. He was in great shape for his age, and finding the full bird on his collars told him he was a Colonel. "Sir, permission to speak freely?"

"You're not a soldier anymore, you can speak freely."

"If I put some salt and pepper hair on you, I swear you were Sergeant Dickenson."

He smiles, and pats Mark on his good shoulder, "Good, they didn't do anything to his brain. I am the same, except I am a Colonel now. I head up a special unit, and I wanted to have a word with you if I could."

"Sure Colonel, pull up a seat."

Dickenson looked around the room, "I would need to talk to you more privately."

Mark looked at Kelsey and Dugan, "Could you guys give me a minute?" Kelsey wasn't happy and gave the blond-haired person a look of jealousy and ownership.

When the door closed, the blond-haired person went to the other side of the bed and sat. Mark looked at her and said, "You look familiar, do I know you from somewhere?"

Dickenson interrupted him by changing the conversation. "Lawson, I have been following your work for several months. Impressive you have survived this long with so many parties after you."

Mark tried acting confused, "Sir?"

Dickenson chuckled, "Don't Lawson, I have knowledge it was you that took down Tejada. I also know it was you that took out Alonso Guijosa."

Mark looked at the ceiling, trying to think what to say but found nothing. He just turned his head back to the man with no regret in his eyes.

"It's ok son, we are not here to persecute you. In fact, I'm here to offer you a chance to do exactly what you have been doing, but legally and with help."

"Sir? I'm not quite following you. The last time someone offered that to me, tried to double cross me, then killed everyone involved, even tried to kill me."

The blond spoke up finally, "I'm sorry my father did that to you. He made a mistake and he know that. He will not be involved with this; it is being completely funded by a private contributor and run solely by Colonel Dickenson."

"You're President Conklin's kid."

"I am sir, and I... we need you like we never have before. Our intelligence has verified that several cartels, and mafias have joined forces in the United States. They attacked my family sir."

Mark furrowed his eyebrows, "The President?"

She shook her head as a lone tear ran down her cheek. "My siblings are critical but they will survive. My mother wasn't so lucky, she was dead before she arrived at the hospital."

"Lawson, we know this is a lot to process right now, but what we are offering is a second chance to continue to fight the war you started. The people who are behind this are excited somebody took initiative to do something against the cartel. They are proud of you and call you a true patriot." The Colonel sat back in the chair, looked at Lisa Conklin, then back at Lawson.

"What about the people I already trust? I don't have to leave them behind?"

"I'm sorry Lawson, but you are the only one being offered this position. We have trained professionals who are more than capable to be at your side throughout your mission."

Mark balled up his right fist. "I'm sure you have sir, and I mean no disrespect. I will not do this unless I get to bring a couple of people with me. They are fully capable of handling things as well. After all, I have made this far."

Lisa smiled and raised an eyebrow at the Colonel across from her. He knew what she was implying, and he wasn't denying that he agreed. He wasn't sure if his bosses would be happy about it, but he also didn't care. "OK Lawson, you can bring them along, but when we bring you in, there will be rules to follow. They will need to know their lives cease to exist when they come on board, as does yours."

He knew Kelsey would be fine with it, but didn't know about the other two in his mind. "I'll have to talk to them, but I'm fine with that."

The two stood up and the Colonel shook Lawson's hand, then escorted the blond-haired person out of the room with Kelsey returning. She shut the door, not looking happy, as she asked. "What the hell do they want they couldn't ask in front of me?"

He smiled at her, then took her hand in his, "Don't be mad darling, looks like I died a second time.

******************

More to come in The Ghost Ch 02

1...67891011