The Ghost Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Scott went to Mark and pulled him to the side as Lorrie went over to Monica and started to talk to her. Scott put his hand on Mark's shoulder as he started to talk. 'Lorrie said that there is a doctor located in Billings that will do what you need done. The only issue is that you will be done for a least a week or more."

"That's no good. I need to go after these bastards now before they do more damage to people, I know and care about."

"I really don't know what else we can do. This is the only one we can find in this area that will do this off the books."

"Call this number, ask for Jessica, tell her Mark needs assistance then explain what it is. Also let her know it will be for two."

Scott was confused, "Two?"

"Kelsey's going with me."

********

Area 6, Nevada

Adam Wesley looked over the shoulder of his best agent. "Have you found them yet?"

"No sir, they haven't been spotted since they left the premises."

"How in the hell does a tractor trailer disappear from existence. I do not want excuses, just answers. Keep looking!!"

Colonel Dickenson smirked at the intelligence director's actions, as he sat in the back of the control room watching the chaotic actions. He was about to say something when the door opened and in walked an old friend of his and Lawson's, Master Chief Jonathan Jakes.

Dickenson stood and held out his hand, "It's so good to see you Master Chief. Thank you for coming so fast, hope I didn't cause any problems calling on you."

He smiled, "No problems at all Colonel, I am so glad to help a friend."

He showed him a seat beside his, and they both sat. they spoke in soft tones trying to keep their voices unheard from any persons happening by. "Master Chief, one of our own is being pursued by the government, and I am partly to blame for bringing this friend into the mess he is in."

"You need me to help him or you?"

He smiled, "Both really. See that man pacing right there." Jakes nodded his head as he chuckled. "He is trying to take over my unit. I know someone outside of this circle is pulling the strings, and the President is not aware."

"You think it is corrupt?"

"Not sure really, it just doesn't smell right. I am going to send you after Lawson to make this guy calm down. Give him some room to operate though. I have a feeling he is going to accomplish a lot more on his own then what he would have being on a leash."

"What if we cross paths sir? Am I to roll over?"

The Colonel turned and looked at him, "We don't want to start a war. Remember the last time you two tangled and it was just training."

Jakes smiled and thought about it for a second, "Good times."

"Easy soldier, like I said just look like you're tracking him, give enough intel to this guy to seem legit, but report to me exactly what you find."

"How do I find him now?"

"What this idiot doesn't know is they are in possession of their old vehicle as well as two new vehicles. Their old vehicle we can trace, but if they are inside an underground building the device will not work, which seems to be what's happened. The new vehicles you are looking for are these." He produced the pictures of the tractor trailer and two sedans.

"They look like regular everyday vehicles."

"That was the idea. To blend in and not be so conspicuous."

"Can these be tracked?"

He smiled, "Here you go." Handing Jakes, a device looking like a keychain. "Don't activate it until you are fifty miles away from this base, understood?"

"Yes sir!"

"Get out of here, I'll inform the intelligence department what's going on. Hopefully, they will back off a little now I have you on the job." He winked at the Master Chief, as the man saluted him and walked out of the room.

************

The nurse looked over Kelsey one last time before they left the campsite. "If she starts to become incoherent, or bleeds from her wounds, you need to take her to the emergency room. You got it?"

Mark sat in the driver seat of the Charger, "I've got it, we don't have time for this. I know the drill."

Lorrie touched the nurses' arm and whispered to her, "He would give his own life for this girl. You have nothing to worry about."

Mark had no idea what Lorrie said, but the nurse backed off. As he pulled out of the campsite, he looked over at Kelsey. She was staring at him through her right eye, because of the injury above her left eye. She half smiled at him, "Do you always have to be the hero?"

He smiled at her, "No, I guess I could have left you in that hell hole."

"I'm glad you didn't." She grabbed his hand and smiled. "This is the first time since you came back for me that we've been alone. I just want to thank you for everything you have done for me. If I hadn't met you, I would be dead. You have saved me in so many ways."

He squeezed her hand, "Let's not get sentimental. Why don't you lean back and take a snooze, we have a way to go, I'll wake you when we get there." She nodded and turned her head toward the passenger window and closed her eyes. She held onto his hand tightly, and he was fine with that.

After driving over four hours, Lawson pulled into Grand Falls. Following the directions given to him, he pulled into the church parking lot and turned off the engine. After fifteen minutes of waiting, Lawson closed his eyes. The still night sky was clear, and he was feeling the effects of driving straight through. His companion was still asleep, holding his hand.

Lawson was not fully sure how long he was asleep but was woken by a knock at the window. The tint was dark enough they could not see into the vehicle, but you could see out. He found a state trooper standing beside his car, so he rolled down his window. "Sir, are you ok? What are you doing parked here?"

"I'm fine, was just tired, so I pulled over and thought I'd rest."

The officer flashed the light he held over toward Kelsey and noticed the trauma on her head. "Who is she? Is she ok?"

"She's my girlfriend, and she's ok. She was in an accident not too long ago."

"Could you please step out of the car sir? Keep your hands where I can see them."

Lawson knew this was going to be the night he would die. His pistol was in his back waistband, and if the officer found it, he would be arrested or killed on the spot. He carefully opened the door and climbed out of the car. Upon exiting, he was face to face with the officer and was able to get a better look at the man.

"Wait a minute... Justin?"

The officer started laughing. "Had you going, didn't I?"

Lawson wanted to punch the man, but instead hugged his old friend. He was clean cut, with his head shaven. "I never in a million years would have imagined you to look like Mr. Clean."

"Alright, turn around, you're under arrest." Then Justin laughed at Lawson's expression. "I'm just kidding, hell, I'm not even an actual cop. C'mon, get in your car and follow me, I'll take you where you want to be."

Lawson followed his friend for about a half hour down back roads until they came upon a dead end. Justin climbed out of his vehicle and walked behind a tree. Suddenly the entire brush with the signs moved to the side, revealing a road wandering into the tall forest of trees. He climbed into his car and they drove into the trees.

They drove about a mile back and came upon some small buildings and a larger building before they stopped. All the buildings were under the coverage of the trees, creating a perfect camouflage for the village. Currently Kelsey was awake, looking around the area, grabbing Mark's leg holding it with a death grip.

Her door opened and the first person to greet her was Jessica, which immediately eased her anxiety. She hugged the woman and was helped out of the car as Mark climbed out. There were only about a half dozen people around at the time. One looked like someone he knew, and he was walking up with Justin.

The man held out his hand to Lawson, "Welcome to the Red Hills Militia Sgt. Lawson."

"Thanks, but I haven't been a Sergeant in a long time."

"Sorry sir, it's a habit around here. Once you have rank, it sticks."

Justin looked at Mark and gave him a wide smile. "Just get used to it, this is Gunnery Sergeant Sonny Trotter. He is the leader of this militia and a good friend of mine. You might remember him from our joint training days in San Diego."

Lawson looked at the man once again, "Well no shit, how's it going Gunny?"

They exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes until Justin became serious. "Sonny, nobody followed them into town, I made sure of it. I followed them from Cascade, and they were the only ones on the highway."

"That's good, let's take them in to see the doc."

They entered the larger building, both Kelsey and Mark were in awe of the way the structure had been built into the trees. Some of the thick trunks were like pillars throughout with the huge branches like beams running across the roofline. Justin whispered to Mark, "I'll have to introduce you to the designer of this place."

They reached the door with a sign that read, 'Lieutenant Commander.' Mark chuckled, "Seems right I'd be getting cut by a Navy doc."

As they walked in, they found a small brunette woman sitting at a desk. She looked up and smiled at Sonny. "Hey handsome, what do you have for me?"

"This is the two we were telling you about earlier."

"The ones who need a new identity?" Sonny nodded his head. "Well, I need anyone who's not a patient to please leave." The escorts left Kelsey and Mark in the office with the woman. She lifted her cell and texted someone and then walked over to Kelsey first. "I hope you gave the same thing to the son of a bitch who did this to you."

Kelsey smiled, "I wasn't able to, but he did."

She looked over at Mark, "For all the women in the world, thank you sir for your service." Focusing back on Kelsey, she turned her head a few inches to the left and right, then raised it up and down. "The good thing is your bone structure isn't too damaged. I can repair what has been during the surgery." She brought Kelsey's head centered to look her in the eyes. "Young lady, I want you to think of how you always wanted to look, because I am going to give you your dream."

She walked over to Mark, "It's a shame you want to change yours, if I wasn't already hitched, my oh my." Kelsey let out a low growl, and Sandra chuckled. "Don't worry sister, Sonny has all my attention." She did the same to his face as she did Kelsey's. "I have some ideas for you, but I guess I'll give you the same options. Just remember, it is permanent you two."

Another woman walked in and joined the doctor as both went to a computer and started to enter in some information. Kelsey hugged Mark, "thank you for helping me. I don't think I would look the same anyway."

Mark whispered to her, "I wouldn't have cared, you know." She lightly kissed his cheek. As they parted, they found both ladies looking at them as if they noticed a fawn in the woods for the first time. "What!" Mark and Kelsey said at the same time.

************

July 3rd, 2019

Montana, Near Great Falls

Her hand traced his chest as her kisses trailed along his neck. Maria always liked to wake him up like that after a night of love making. She was the sentimental type, and always wanted to cuddle, and cling to him which he did not mind. Her features seemed so real to him right now, as her eyes sparkled in the lights. Her lips seemed plumper and her cheekbones were slightly higher. In fact, her face was slightly smaller, and her hair was a shade red.

A sharp pain resonated throughout his face and neck, waking him from his slumber. He closed his eyes and listened to the quiet chatter in the corner from the doctor and nurse. They were discussing the festivities of the upcoming holiday. Mark was not up for any festivities; he knew what today's significance was. It was a day for remembrance, but not of independence. It was a day of his own reckoning. It was the day he declared war on the entire criminal underworld.

LCDR Sandra Trotter came over to check on her two patients as she kept talking to her spunky blond nurse. "You know, I am so surprised that these went so well."

"I have to say, they are your best thus far Sandy."

"Thanks Peggy. Your sketches helped so much." She touched Mark's face a little, but it was light enough not to cause much pain. "This one was very subtle. His nose and cheeks, and his chin. He still looks like a stud, even better once the swelling goes down."

Peggy touched his thigh, "I'd like to see some swelling in this area."

"Stop it Peg, he's spoken for." Neither of them noticed the half smirk on Lawson's face. It was too painful to give a full smile just yet.

They left his side and walked across the room. "You really did well with her, she looks so much better."

"Her eye has already gone down considerably since the surgery."

"Peggy, when she wakes up, the first thing I want you to do is check the eye out. Make sure she hasn't lost sight or muscle ability in that eye."

"Affirmative."

"I will have to say she looks older now. I am not sure why she chose the face she did. It's kinda puzzling to me, don't you think Peggy?"

"Ma'am, when it comes to young ladies who are in love, nothing surprises me."

"Make sure they are awake and take their vitals within the hour. The sedatives should wear off soon, but just in case."

"No problem ma'am. Go get you some yourself. I have this."

Mark closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep. His dreams flooded back to Maria once again, and the last time he was with her. It was the day before he was to leave for Houston, and for the first time ever she was anxious upon him leaving. She didn't want him to go and had no explanation why. The kids had been playing outside and she clung to him like a lost puppy, crying for him to stay. His dream felt dark, as he dreamt of the aftermath of returning home on that fateful day one year ago. His revenge had been achieved, but his battle rages on.

Meanwhile, Dickenson answered his phone, knowing who was on the other end. "Colonel, I was able to follow their tracks to Montana, but have seemed to lose them across the Wyoming border. I know that Justin English, one of his former teammates once lived here, but was killed last year."

"If you're thinking like I am, he wasn't and is hiding Lawson right now?"

"I was sir. If that is the case, I might not find him in this vast area."

"Keep tracking and let me know if you find anything. I'll give them something here to cool their jets. Good work Master Chief."

************

July 9th, 2019

Mexico City, Mexico

"Amigo, have you found anything unusual going on at the palace since I've been gone?" Juan asked one of his men who had been watching the Presidential palace.

"Boss, only one other cartel visited. It was the Juarez faction from southern Mexico. They weren't there for long, maybe thirty minutes."

"Hmmm, I see, thank you amigo. I will make sure you will receive a bonus for your hard work."

Juan returned to his Mercedes, climbing into the back seat with Refugio. "Are your men set in Columbia?"

"Yes boss, they are ready when you say the word."

Juan thought long and hard for what seemed minutes before deciding. "Tell them to standby and have some of your men go to Juarez's fields and burn them. I want Mexico to know who oversees this country."

"Boss, it would start a war among the cartels."

"Refugio, mi amigo, do not be afraid. I have many on our side, including the Presidente. Make it happen, and by tomorrow night's news."

"Si Senor!"

****************

Red Hills Militia Village

Today was the day the bandages were coming off for both Mark and Kelsey. They were ready to go back to the campsite at Big Sky but could not leave until the doctor said so. Mark sat on the edge of the bed while Peggy carefully took the last of the bandages off. She smiled at him as she moved his head around.

Peggy thought of cosmetic surgery not just a science, but as an art, a highly creative one. She disputed the contention that 'beauty is only skin deep, as she knew beauty was a totality of the personal image. A package combining character, spirit, and physical appearance that is pleasing to the beholder.

The militia was aware of what Lawson was doing. Their awareness of the man extended to his military days and how he received his nickname, Tank. Justin admired him, as he had seen him stand up to almost certain death on too many occasions. They found no swagger to him, no story-book bravado; he was just a soldier, with courage and dedication.

From following Lawsons' stories in the newspapers, online, and through the television reports, some of the members had decided that his one-man campaign could be an impossible one. With the cartel, the law, the government and any other criminal element gunning for Lawson, it was only a matter of time before he would ask for a new face or stand and die in his old one.

Sandy had finished taking Kelsey's bandages off and looked over at Peggy's progress. She decided to talk to them both about what to expect. "The nose will be the last to heal, but I'd say give it a couple days and it will be completely healed. Your sutures look good, and with the stitches inside and dissolvable, there should be no scars visible."

Justin and Jessica walked into the room followed by Sonny. All three were astounded by the work that had been done by the duo medical team. Neither could be recognized by the trio, and that was exactly what they had been paid to do.

Jessica went to help Kelsey with some things to prepare her to leave as Justin assisted Mark. Sonny escorted Sandy and Peggy toward the other side of the room for some small talk. "You're a brave man Mark. I don't think I could have gone through this."

"If it meant Jessica's life you would have. To me it is just a mask, that's not me in the mirror."

"Now they can truly call you 'the Ghost'."

He focused on Justin, noticing the pained look. "It's not like I have a choice, it's a commitment that I fight until I die."

"Special Ops all the way." Justin said as he turned and looked over his shoulder at Kelsey. "What about her, you going to continue taking her down your rabbit hole with you?"

"I don't force her to do anything. You above all should know that."

"You're not discouraging it either brother. She damn near joined your wife and that would have put you over the edge." Justin noticed a change in Mark's eyes. "Is that what you're waiting for? Something to put you over the edge, making you feel like you were oconus?"

"I already feel that way everyday J. When I wake up it seems I am on voluntold all over again. I don't need motivation to feel this way, and I don't appreciate you insinuating it either."

Lawson hopped off the bed, and grabbed his bag, walked over to Kelsey and had his first look of her new face. He almost passed out looking at her, because she looked so much like a person he knew when he was younger. He put his hand through her hair, and grinned, "C'mon we have to go."

Jessica gave a quick hug to Kelsey and Mark shook Sonny's hand and thanked Sandy and Peggy. He handed them the bag of money and walked out without saying another word to Justin. Maybe he was correct about Mark, but he didn't want to be, and he should never call him out.

As they entered onto the interstate from Great Falls, Kelsey looked over at Mark. "Are you doing ok?"

"Yeah, why would you ask me that?"

"It looked as if you and Justin had an intense conversation. I don't think I ever noticed you have words with your friends before today."

He was silent for a few moments before he spoke again. "Don't worry about things so much Kelsey. From now on, things are going to be different."

"Meaning what exactly?"

"Meaning you are going to be part of the command team, and not in the field. Leave that to me for now on."

123456...8