The Ghost Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kelsey looked out the window, not saying anything for a few miles, as her mind whirled furiously. "Let me get this straight. You are still going to put yourself in danger, but not allowing me too?"

He looked over at her and quickly back at the road. "In a nutshell."

She looked out the windshield for a moment, then she leaned toward him over the center console and kissed his cheek. She spoke into his ear, letting him feel her hot breath blow into it, "We'll see about that, won't we."

************

July 14th, 2019

Overland Park, Kansas

Lorrie and her brother Robbie hadn't been in the same room since the selling of their parents' farm. They were delighted to spend some time together along with Scott, Mark, Kelsey and Rosa. Monica had taken off to Portland to visit family and would be back with them hopefully within a week.

Scott and Mark sat on the couch watching some baseball and swinging a beer back, with Rosa and Kelsey on the front porch. Robbie and Lorrie had been shopping most of the day, mostly for Lorrie.

"That doctor really did well with the two of you, it's hard to get used to your new look." Scott told Mark.

Mark swallowed the beer, "Yeah, it's hard to look in the mirror and think it's me looking back at myself. I still jump occasionally when I'm half asleep and look."

They both laughed as the game continued playing. "I didn't think Kelsey could be prettier than before."

Mark looked outside at the red head next to the Hispanic beauty. He took a huge intake of breath, "Yeah," then blew it out, "She does look pretty doesn't she."

"I heard a rumor you're trying to retire her."

"Is that what she's calling it?" He rubbed the side of his face as he looked at his friend. "I just want her safe Scotty. She was damn near killed, and I do not know if I could take that right now. Hell, it's been a year since Maria and the kids...I'm still not over that."

Scott wondered if Mark was worried about her or if there was more to it. "I understand my friend. I don't want to attend any more funerals any time soon... including yours."

Mark looked over at Scott and tipped the beer in his direction. "Here's to not dying." The militia had given Lawson a new face and a new lease on life, opening a new set of tactics on his war with the cartels of the world. He felt there was nothing left for his future besides the things in front of him. He would not waste time contemplating his own death, as he acknowledged the bloody path he was traveling, he would not concede one single step to his enemies.

Rosa walked in and asked to speak to Mark as Kelsey took his place in the plush recliner. They walked outside onto the porch and took a seat on the bench. She pulled two fresh beers from a cooler beside her and gave him one after taking the top off. "I have a confession to make, along with some info that isn't going to make you happy."

Mark took a pull of the beer, placed it on the table beside him. "I'll try not to judge until the end, how's that." He smiled at her, making her feel somewhat at ease.

"My husband, well my estranged husband is a bad guy. His uncle, although not as active as the ones you hate so much, is a cartel boss." She stared at him for any response, but when he gave none, she continued. "I had no idea when I married Roberto. It wasn't until I was offered this job that I was made aware of my husband's involvement in his uncles' business affairs. It made me sick to know I was married to someone like that."

"How long were you married?" Mark wanted to know.

"I'm ashamed to say, but ten years. He told me he was an accountant, which he is, but in a cartel." She rubbed her hands together as a tear ran down her cheek. "Our children are with my parents because I am so afraid of what would happen if another cartel found out about me and the children."

Mark was sympathetic, but also was curious. "Why tell me now Rosa? Has something happened to your children?"

"No Mark, an associate of my husband, who was an exceptionally good friend of mine told me that his uncle and he are being forced to team with some other criminal organizations. From my understanding, Roberto and his uncle were warning some of the organizations in the country about a man named Juan Guijosa who was leading this movement." Lawson's jaw tensed as he recognized that name as his number one enemy. "Somehow Guijosa has found out about it and has put a hit on the family."

"Do they know about you and your children?"

"I'm not aware of it if they do."

"Rosa where is your husband and his uncle now?"

"As far as I know they are held up at his uncle's hotel in Miami. They haven't left the room in several days."

Mark stood, looking at her, "I'll get packed, ask Scotty if he can get with his friend about chartering me a plane to Miami as soon as possible. If you have a picture of Roberto and his uncle, I will need that."

She reached out and grabbed his hand, "You don't have to do this. I can call Dickenson and fill him in."

"By the time he gets through the chain of command, they both will be dead. I don't agree with what your husband and his uncle are doing, but I want Guijosa more. I've got to pack."

When he walked in, he went straight up the stairs and to the room he was sleeping. He threw his clothes in along with his toiletries. Grabbing his duffel, he went back down the stairs into the room where Scott and Kelsey were left. Rosa was sitting on a sofa adjacent to Kelsey filling her in as Scott was on the phone.

Kelsey looked up at Mark, "I'll go with you."

He shook his head, and mouthed the words, "Not now."

"I love you." She mouthed back and curled up in the recliner. Mark looked away, not wanting to react either way to the red-haired woman. Rosa nor Scott had noticed what had transpired between the two.

Scott hung his phone up and addressed Mark. "Karl said he has a friend in the area that could meet you in about forty-five minutes at the executive airport just outside of town."

"Good, that gives me time to run by the transport and get some tools for the job." All of them knew what he was talking about. He grabbed the keys to the Mustang instead of the Charger and walked out the door. He climbed in and started the motor, listening to the dual exhaust rumble as he took off down the road.

Upon arrival at the transport, Mark took what he needed as well as the new surprises that Scotty bought for him like he asked. He never thought of himself as a crusader, nor even a patriot. His friends described him as a friendly, thoughtful, and kind man before his battle with the criminal underworld.

He pulled into the small executive airport, and straight to the hangar of the company that he was given. He pulled beside the Learjet noticing a tall man in a pilot's suit. He rolled down the window, asking the man if he was in the proper place, then parked the mustang in the hanger parking spot.

While boarding, the pilot noticed the two duffel bags in the man's hands. One was considerably heavier and with the rush flight the pilot was putting things together. Either this guy was a government man or a criminal. Either way if he was paid, he didn't care.

************

July 15th, 2019

Miami Florida

A top of the roof lying in a prone position, Lawson was occupied with calculations such as range, azimuth, wind-direction, velocity, trajectory-drop, etc. A high-powered rifle angled toward a patio several buildings removed down a gentle curve of beachline, calmly studying faces occupied the vision-field of his sniper scope.

Making an adjustment to the scope and intently watching the range marks climb into the crosshairs, he sighed, "So you are Rosa's husband? What a cheating bastard." He watched as the woman now rolled over on top of Roberto and proceeded to grind herself on his torso.

Digging through his note pad, he made some calculations watching the flags on top of the Hilton half between the structures. He made another calculation and waited, wondering what fate would bring. He looked through the scope once more, noticing no other movement in the room at the time.

He looked down in front of the hotel and noticed a black limousine pull up, with four European men getting out. He also noticed that two of them were wearing shoulder holsters under their button-down shirts with mini machine guns attached. He watched them enter the hotel, losing them after they went through the lobby.

He looked through his scope once more at the front door of Roberto's room, watching for any activity. He went back to the bedroom and noticed that Roberto had lifted the woman off him, and was scurrying for something, so he looked back into the front room. The door was splintered open with two shooters behind the sofa shooting at the doorway.

One of the European men was behind the bar area, shooting at Roberto's bodyguards while two others were doing the same from the doorway. Mark did one more adjustment and took aim. One of the bodyguards slumped down behind the sofa, being shot by one of the three shooters.

Mark took aim at one of the men in the doorway, and before the sound caught up with the shot, the man's face caved in by the high velocity bullet. Little bits of flesh, bone and teeth exploded outwardly in a frothy red fountain. Mark took aim once again toward the other man in the doorway and noticed the second bodyguard was now down. The men moved inside toward the hallway, as Mark squeezed off another shot, watching the man's head bounce against the wall opposite him.

The bedroom door was kicked in and the lead man was shot in the shoulder, but Roberto was quickly overtaken by the remaining two men. Lawson watched as he squeezed the trigger and the third shooter flew back ten feet into the wall behind him, painting the wall crimson. The fourth European grabbed Roberto and ran out of the room before he could get another shot off. He watched the front entrance but there were too many bystanders around to get a shot off. They ran into the limo and sped away.

He looked toward the room once again and found no movement. Standing he broke the rifle down and went to his room on the top floor. He called Scott to let him know what had happened and asked him to find out from Rosa what the uncle's name was and where his operations were located.

The European men looked nothing like a cartel, so he was at a loss at what was going on. Making his way over to the beach resort where Roberto had been, the police were just arriving themselves. Through the melee of people, he noticed a brunette lady who was distraught in the crowd, and recognized her anywhere. He walked through the crowd of people to her side.

As he stood beside her, he whispered, "Kinda scary isn't it."

She looked back at him, tears in her eyes, "What? Why are you talking to me?"

"I can help you. I know you were in that room with Roberto."

Her eyes widened as she started to take off. Mark grabbed her arm and brought her closer to him. "Relax, I'm one of the good guys. I promise I'm not here to hurt you." He led her over to the side of the hotel where they could talk more freely.

"I have a kid at home, please don't kill me."

"Roberto's?" She nodded as the tears came down. His thoughts went to Rosa, and how she was holding out for her estranged husband. She had been faithful and never wanted another man, and he had another kid with this one, not knowing how many others. "OK, if you can answer a few questions for me, you can get home to your kid quickly. Understand?"

"I. I understand. Roberto told me not to talk to a cop, you're not a cop, are you?"

"You're seriously worried if I'm a cop? I'm not ok, just a concerned individual who doesn't like kids to be fatherless." She dabbed her eyes with a Kleenex. "Did you recognize those men?"

"No, but they weren't from here."

"I could tell they weren't Hispanic..."

"No, they weren't from America," she interrupted him. "They spoke in a weird language. It was very sharp tongued and sounded angry."

Mark thought that the dialect could be several different European countries, so to pinpoint which dialect would be his first problem he needed to solve. "Where is his uncle?"

"Armando? He is coming back tonight from Puerto Rico. He was gone on business and Roberto was handling things while he was away."

Lawson dug into his pocket and brought out four crisp one hundred-dollar bills and put them in her hand. "I know this isn't much, but I'll make sure you and your child are taken care of."

"Bring me back my Roberto please. I love him." Lawson nodded, but hated the bastard for what he was doing to Rosa.

As he left the woman and headed back to his hotel, his phone rang. "Hello Mark, it's Rosa. Did you find Roberto?"

"He was taken before I could get to him Rosa. I need to know where Armando's headquarters is located. Do you have any idea?"

He heard a light sob on the other end. "I only know of the hotel Mark. I was always told the top penthouse was his residence." She sobbed once again. "If you find him, let him know I still love him."

"Yeah, I will Rosa. I've got to go." He hurried to his room and checked out, heading to the next location once he knew where it would be.

**************

South Miami Beach - One hour later

'Smack', the blow across the nose caused more blood to splatter across the floor. The man in the chair had been beaten for the past thirty minutes waiting on the Russian leader to arrive. The man in the chair was barely conscious, as blood dripped from the corners of his mouth and nose.

"Sergei!" Vladimir yelled as he entered the warehouse. "What are you doing? I told you not to kill him."

"Sorry boss, he fell a couple of times." He went over to Roberto and put smelling salts under his nose. Roberto raised his head and opened his eyes, feeling the fight inside of himself.

"Easy Roberto, you're among friends." Roberto gave him a look of uncertainty, and anger. "Where 's Armando Caudillo?"

Roberto looked at the floor spitting a clot of blood on the floor. "If you are such amigos, don't you think he would tell you himself?"

Sergei was about to hit him once again, but Vladimir stopped him. "He forgot to tell us Roberto. It is urgent we speak to him."

"He told me he had to go to Puerto Rico and wouldn't be home until tonight or tomorrow. I promise that's all I know."

"See Sergei, you don't need to be so rough on your friends." He pulled out his phone and called Juan. "Juan, he was away on business but is supposed to be back in town tonight or tomorrow."

"Bueno Vladimir, I'm with our partner now. It seems we are in no need of their services any longer. Retirement would be best for them, so make it clear."

"I will need some help, some of their men killed three of mine. It's just Sergei, myself and one more." Vladimir heard Juan talking to someone in the background before he came back on the phone.

"It seems you are in luck; our friend has some guys in Jacksonville and should arrive in a couple of hours. There will be eight of them, and they are highly trained. Make sure you leave a message to anyone who messes with us, what happens to those who fuck with us."

Vladimir hung up the phone, placing it in the upper pocket of his suit jacket. He turned to Roberto who was still staring at him with venom. Reaching to his waistband he pulled his .45 caliber out of its holster and without blinking, watched as the bullet split the man's head open like a ripe grapefruit.

"Come Sergei, we have work to do."

***********

A seasoned but weary captain of detectives pulled to the scene of the hotel. He paused as he climbed out of his car, just to catch his bearings of the scene. He looked over the small crowd still formed around the entrance and looked upward at the top floor. Uniformed officers were taking statements from guests and employees while others were simply controlling the rest.

As he exited the elevator, he found a detective standing over a grotesque sight in the hallway, writing something down in a notebook, while a technician took pictures of things he pointed out. "What do we have Davis?"

The young detective turned around, "Ah... Captain, I didn't think I would see you down here." Noticing the glare, the detective shifted gears. "This gentleman is a known Russian gangster from the Washington area, along with two more in the room. We also have two of Armando Caudillo's men behind the sofa DOA.

The captain looked at the scene directly in front of him and noticed the windows were splattered with cobwebs where they were cracked from gunfire, except one hole where the trajectory would have hit the man in the hall. He walked inside the room and noticed in the hallway what seemed to enter a bedroom, a body and another technician collecting evidence. He walked to the doorway of the bedroom and found the same as what he had at the front entrance, a dead Russian.

There was a second detective in the bedroom stooped next to a third body. He noticed the captain and acknowledged him straight away. "Captain, what brings you down to our crime scene?"

Looking at the window, he found three holes like the one in the front room. "Call it curiosity, I guess. What do you think we have here?"

"Honestly, I think a mob hit. The three white guys are Russian, all affiliated with the Sokolov mob out of Seattle. The two Hispanic men in the front room are affiliated to the Caudillo family. Roberto Cruz is the register for this room captain, and he is nowhere to be found."

The captain looked around the scene nodding his head, then looked at the holes once again. The more seasoned detective spoke again, "That looks like a sniper, high velocity, most likely steel jackets. Only the three Russians have the wounds to have been killed by that caliber."

The captain once again nodded his head. "Do you have anyone canvassing the area?"

"Yes sir, we have uniforms and technicians going both directions of the beach within a mile."

He pointed at a hotel building just taller than the one they were in now. "That one needs to be searched first, from top to the bottom. See if any ants start crawling from the woodwork." The younger detective acknowledged him and set off to direct the investigation. "This is much more than a mob hit or a regular homicide."

"What are you thinking?"

The captain looked over at the detective, "I'm not sure who, but we have a third party here that most likely could take out everyone in this room if he wanted to. So why didn't he detective. Ask yourself that question, because if he worked for Caudillo, those men would never have made it through that door in the first place."

"I still don't understand your theory Cap."

"With the accuracy those shots showed, he wouldn't have missed close range. He would have been stationed right at the front door. We have an oversized problem on our hands here, and it involves a lot more than solving a couple of murders."

The detective asked the captain, "What should we do, wait to see what happens?"

"The season for tourists is just ramping up, with thousands arriving daily, hotels filling, the beach thriving. We have the festival coming up, the Caribbean traffic in high swing. How many of those thousands are in danger of these hits, or this phantom shooter? How do we isolate them before all hell breaks loose during our tourist season?"

"Should we set up shop here?"

"Put a couple of mobile units here in the area. Tell them to call if anything suspicious happens. I wouldn't think anything would go down within the next twenty-four hours."

"Okay Captain, I'll finish here and get back to do my report."

"Yeah, see ya,"

*******

July 16th, 2019

Lawson checked into the resort using the name Marcus Beasley and went straight to his room. He unpacked his bags and called down to the clothing shop asking for a tailor. While he waited, he took out the makeup that was in the bag left for him by Scott. He applied it to his face, neck, part of his chest, and hands and some of his arms. It made his complexion more exotic, making him look like he might have been from the southern hemisphere.

1...345678