The Girl from the Ouachita Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The entire family loaded into the Suburban XLT for the ride to the hospital. Morris' face was an awful mix of road rash from being jammed into the bricks, swelling, and discoloration, and one eye was blood red. Chris had seen the result of a few fights, but he'd never seen anything like that! One look at the four women and he knew they had no idea what flesh looks life after being pummeled, much less crushed into bricks.

It was a troubling visit visually, but Morris' enthusiasm about the lawsuit proposal and his parents' appreciation gave it some redeeming value.

It was a quiet ride back to the house.

Debora got out sandwich makings she had prepared, and they visited as they ate. Chris noticed that Donna, Diane, and their mom seemed distracted, and Dan was unusually subdued. When they finished, Chris stood and started to collect dishes, but his mother asked him to wait.

"We need to talk; all of us. Diane told me that Donna has been having trouble sleeping, and has had nightmares the last two nights, since the incident at the club. I'm sure seeing the aftermath today will only make them worse.

"Donna, please tell Jo and Chris what you told us earlier."

"I wasn't that afraid when we confronted the bouncer. You were beside me, Jo, and I knew Chris would be out soon. But when he jumped on Morris' back and started beating his head on the bricks, I didn't know what to do!

"He said he would kill him if Cathy didn't give up the phone he dropped when Wes hit him, and I froze. I should have used my training to help get him off, but I felt helpless when I looked at his size!

"The reality of what happened, and that it could have happened to me since I was the first one he pushed, didn't hit me until I went to bed. He's clearly messed up enough to hurt anyone, including girls!

"The violence came back to me when I tried to go to sleep, and they brought back vague memories of the Halloween assaults. Somehow -- maybe it was the combination of the two traumatic events happening so close together - or... I don't know! I don't know why, but suddenly I feel violated, weak, and afraid!

"I don't know why it took so long! Yes, I know I was violated by those predators, and embarrassed by all the tests we got in the hospital and the police questions, and I should have reacted then... but everyone was so kind and supportive, and I didn't remember anything past dancing at the party. Plus, it happened to all three of us, so I knew my friends knew and understood the unease I felt.

"Jo, Kate, and I talked about it a couple of times between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It somehow didn't seem so terrible when we did, and we decided that because we were saved before they did what they planned, and we didn't remember anything, it was best to just forget it.

"And I thought I had, until that damn bouncer beat Morris half to death, threatened us, and went after Chris -- now I'm worse than I was when I woke up in the hospital!

"Jo, you've been through so much more - how can you be so strong?"

Jo was thoughtful before answering. "I'm not strong, Donna. I went through days of self-loathing after Park City, trying to figure out if I did something to lead them on, and wondering what men see in me that they want to drug and rape me! Then Chris and I talked about it, and I told him I thought it was because they could tell I was born and bred white trash!

"He reminded me that Kate was also drugged, that they planned to rape her too, and that she was obviously well-bred, rich, and from a good family, so that was foolish. He explained that we were beautiful young women and that predators would always be attracted to us, so we had to be extra cautious.

"Look, we did everything right at the Halloween party; even the police woman told me we did! We did nothing wrong at the bar in Nashville either. Those boys at Halloween were bullies and predators, just like the bouncer!

"I'm not saying I don't have bad memories and fears from all this, because I do! But if you do your best and bad things still happen, all you can do is live with what happened and ask what else I can do in the future.

"Maybe my childhood - my raisin'- made me a fatalist, but I've had to learn to accept what I can't change. As my coach used to say, 'Don't let one mistake cause another. Everyone makes mistakes -- you have to move on and focus on the next opportunity -- you can't look back.'"

Jo smiled, remembering. "She had plenty of other old sayings I think are appropriate here, like 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

"So, to me, what happened to me at Halloween was and is frightening and distressing -- I'm not making light of that or what happened with the psycho bouncer. But neither was as traumatizing to me as being in my bed when Elwood had a houseful of drunk or high men, and hearing a man or several men stumbling down the hall to my room!

"I always locked the door, but I knew they could easily bust the flimsy thing down, so there were many nights I sat on my bed with my phone, ready to call 9-1-1, and yelling at whoever was knocking on the door to go away or I'd call the cops!

"Since I have Chris, school, and my friends, I think I handle the bad memories pretty well when I'm awake, but I still nightmares from time to time. You can't control your dreams."

Debora spoke up. "Jo, after Donna talked to me I called to ask Stephanie Ellison if Kate is also having problems. Stephanie said yes, she was afraid to go out at night and had bad dreams when she slept, so she arranged to have her meet with a counselor in Fort Worth who deals specifically with violence against women. We're going to have Donna work with her too. What about you -- do you think you'd be interested?"

Jo looked at Chris, who offered only a neutral shrug. She thought for a few seconds, and answered, "Yes, I would, if they are on my insurance. I can't afford to pay much, and I don't want anyone else to pay for me."

"She does accept insurance, and I'm sure your insurance will cover your sessions. After what you just said, I think talking to a professional would be helpful to you, and not only because of the recent traumas.

"You have a lifetime filled with traumatic events, and I admire the way you've handled all that's been thrown at you. When Chris first told us about you, he said you are amazingly well adjusted, mature, and level headed for what you've been through, and I can all see that is true. Still, talking to a professional might be helpful in putting it all behind you so you can focus your energy on the future."

****

The party planner and the noisy event set-up team arrived at 7 am Saturday morning, making sleeping in impossible. Two big bobtail trucks pulled in right behind them with the outdoor party tents, chairs, and tables, and a crew started pulling them out and setting them up.

The women were set up for a 'spa day' beginning at eleven am, and that included the grandmothers and the few remaining cousins as well.

"Women love a reason to get dressed up, break out their best jewelry, and show off," Dan told his son as the women were leaving in a giggling gaggle. "Your mom has been bouncing off the walls ever since Jo accepted your proposal. I mean, what could be more exciting for her than introducing her son's fiancée to Tennessee society? Especially when she loves her new daughter-in-law-to-be, and knows she 'never even had a debut,' as she put it in her most indignant voice.

"All we need to do is stay out of the way, dress well, and put on the dog for the crowd, while keeping the spotlight on the women. The pressure is on them, not us. In fact, we may have a beer or two before it starts!"

The men really did only have to shower, shave, and get dressed in their best suits, so they watched college football games and relaxed. They were supposed to make sure everything was set up correctly, but Dan said that's why he hired a party planner, so they chilled, only wandering outside from time to time to see the progress.

The party planner did interrupt to ask for guidance on placing tables, but Dan told her to call Debora, because he wasn't taking the heat for putting something in the wrong place, or for anything else. They went back to the games, and she called Debora

The women returned two hours before the event began, but they hurried to their rooms without so much as speaking to the men.

Chris and Dan meandered upstairs an hour later to shower, shave, and dress. The women were clustered in Debora's room, so Dan was directed to the guest room where his clothes were waiting.

Donna and Diane's dates, Anthony (Tony) and David were watching the start of the Tennessee -- Missouri game with Chris and Dan when the women began their single-file parade down the stairs, with the grandmothers leading, followed by Debora, Diane, Donna, and Jo. The grandmothers were impressive in champagne and beige dresses that came to their ankles. The three Alexander women were resplendent in, respectively, a gold midi, a sequined blue midi with a side slit, and a red mini. In the tradition of the debutante, Jo was dressed in white, but not the traditional full, floor-length gown.

Her off-the-shoulder maxi featured a daring split in front, providing a glimpse of her lovely legs when she walked. Her golden hair fell in loose curls, framing her beautiful face and delicate neck, which was wrapped with a strand of pearls. A white wrap hung around her sculpted bare shoulders and fell over her elbows.

The poor girl from the Ouachita looked every bit the rich debutante, and Chris could not control the smile that covered his face. 'If she looks this lovely in a dress, how will she look in her wedding gown,' he asked himself. Debora saw his smile and congratulated herself; that was the smile she was seeking when she picked it for Jo. In her opinion, there was no time like the present to start planning a wedding. Getting engaged was the first step, but setting the date hadn't yet been discussed beyond 'someday in the future after...'

Dan escorted his lovely wife down the brick walkway that split the two party tents. The quartet ended the song they were playing as soon as they saw the senior Alexanders enter the sidewalk, and began the old traditional, When It's Iris Time in Tennessee. When they were three-quarters of the way to the tent and the applause was at its peak, Diane and David stepped out; Donna and Tony followed after twelve steps.

The applause continued until all six were standing on the concrete slab at the end of the sidewalk, looking back at the house. Chris looked at Jo; if she were nervous, it didn't show at all. Her head was held high, her body erect, as if she had been making grand entries at highbrow parties her whole life. Chris kissed her forehead; she smiled up at him, and he asked, "Ready?"

Jo blew him an air kiss, said, "I love you -- let's do this!" and wrapped her arm through his. They stepped through the door to silence, and then the unmistakable sounds of Rocky Top filled the night. With sincere smiles, Chris and Jo walked down the pathway to ever-growing applause and a rising buzz as people commented on Jo's dress, and on her elegant beauty.

When they reached the front, Debora hugged Jo briefly, before Chris pulled her away and walked to the bandstand holding her hand. Jo wasn't the only one surprised; in fact, everyone else in the family was shocked -- this was not the script Debora and the girls had carefully plotted!

The quartet leader handed Chris the wireless mic with a smile. He turned Jo to the front, and announced, "May I have your attention, please. Thank you!

"On behalf of my family, I want to begin by thanking you for gracing us with your presence tonight. It demonstrates what wonderful friends we are blessed to have!

"Beside me is my fiancée, Amy Jo Kennedy, who prefers to be called Jo. I met Jo in a café in Hot Springs, Arkansas, last December, and we rode together to Fort Worth, where she is a scholarship student at TCU. We began an amazing friendship on that trip, and that friendly relationship developed into a romantic one over the holidays and winter - but it all began on that trip, which Johnny Duncan and Janie Frickie had predicted back before either of us was born.

I like to think our friendship began when I bullied her into singing their duet with me, even though she wasn't impressed by my vocal range, or ability to carry a tune, for that matter!"

When the laughter died down, he said, "Without further ado, 'Jo and the Cowboy'!"

Jo looked stunned, but he squeezed her and said, "Come on -- they already think you look like an angel; show them you can sing like an angel!"

A guitar began strumming the tune behind them and Chris began,

'Life can be great on the interstate when you're riding 'cross Arkansas

I won't forget the day I met the girl from the Washita...

Jo recovered quickly, joined him for the chorus, and then sang her part, with the voice of a very sexy angel.

Wild as a raging river is she, Jo holds my heart in her hand,

Sweet country girl I'd give the world just to be your full time man

She said "Thanks for stopping my

Name is Jo you look like a cowboy to me

I see by the plates on your ninety-eight that you're from Tennessee

And you're a good looking cowboy

Too 'bout the sexiest thing I've seen"

I said "You ain't bad for a country

Girl all tight in your faded jeans"

They sang the rest of the song together, and when they finished the applause and cheering, led by their family, was loud and appreciative. They hugged, kissed, and then grinned and nodded at the crowd, after which Chris said, "As Jo pointed out at the time, I was driving a pickup not a 98, she wasn't hitchhiking, and I wasn't the sexiest thing she'd seen... and, no, she wouldn't let me stop for some Strawberry Hill because she's underage."

After the laugher wound down, Chris' demeanor became more serious. He looked down at his love and told the crowd, "In fact, our story is actually quite different from the song -- our song - but I now know that some parts were true that night and are true tonight.

"When I helped her into the truck, I did see heaven in faded jeans, she is from the Washita, and life can't get better than traveling mile after mile on through the night, listening to old country music with Jo. I knew then that something good was happening to me, and, although she's certainly not 'as wild as a raging river,' Jo holds my heart in her hand, and she has since that fateful night.

"I am the luckiest man in the world that a greater power brought us together that night, that she loves me, and that she accepted my proposal of marriage. I hope we get to talk to all of you tonight; but first, may I have this dance, My Love?"

The quartet played 'Jo and the Cowboy' again, and they danced. It wasn't their wedding dance, but they looked into one another's eyes as if it were, and no one joined them. They turned and bowed to the crowd, and then Chris nodded to the quartet, which began playing Tango of Love. Jo's eyes lit up, and they wowed everyone there with their dancing ability and perfect timing. The slit in Jo's dress certainly came in handy, and most certainly attracted the attention of the menfolk.

They visited with everyone there, stayed to the end, and wished each departing guest a good night. Chris was exhausted, but Jo was walking on air, as was Debora. "Honey, I knew you would be a hit, but I do believe you charmed everyone there!"

They reminisced about and replayed the night for the better part of an hour before Chris stood, gently took Jo's arm, and said, "I'm tired and sleepy, Jo; let's go change and go to bed."

His mother laughed. "If you're so tired, I guess I won't be hearing noises from your room tonight!" Her son and daughter (in-law-to-be) reddened, said good night, and went happily up the stairs.