All Comments on 'The Girls All Get Prettier'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 37 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great

Wonderful story!

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Absolutely Breath-taking

It was a well written story......I loved reading it...I had to read it until the end...Keep up the awesome writing...I love romance stories..........Gal from Canada

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
You do know Jack!

I seldom vote, and I almost never wrote comments, but for this one I couldn't help myself. True, I pulled up literotica looking for a quick stroke story to relax on before bed, but when I started reading your story you pulled me in. I became a fly on the wall, or intimate observer, and couldn't pull myself away. The Texan slang critique I will leave to true Texans, but as someone who has visited the state recently, and spent many years in southern Illinois, Indiana and Northern Kentucky as a timber buyer I have no negative comments. I loved the story, and enjoyed watching it unfold, with a tear in my eye and a beer in my free hand(gotta scroll--dirty boy). A great story, that I truly enjoyed. I might even print this one up for my wife! Excellent Job!

oh and sorry these comments don't "help" you as a writer by pointing out flaws--I didn't see any--I just really wanted you to know that I found this story very enjoyable.

thank you for writing it!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Dynamite

It's dynamite! Truly a superlative work of art. I'm no cowboy, but I can tell the truth when I see it. Wonderfully crafted & beautifully written.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Synthesis

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A beautiful set of songs

Jack:

Love set to music with humor added. What could be better. It is after all your forte'. Thank You. Ronnie W.

anonymousreaderanonymousreaderover 17 years ago
good stuff, jack

I really liked this story. The characters were believable and likeable. I'm not too sure what they talk like in Texas, but that dialect is pretty darn close to the one up here in Alberta. And I enjoyed seeing good things happen to good people.

I only have a minor quibble: as a (former) cowboy myself, I've hung around a few rodeos. I notice that you describe both Hank and Jake as big guys. However, big guys don't generally go into bull riding - that's usually the smaller guys, 140 to 160 pounds and around 5'6" to 5'9". Bigger guys get whipped around too much when the bull starts going in circles. If you're tall, your body gets further from the center of rotation and the centrifugal force is higher, and the more you weigh the higher the centrifugal force too. It is much tougher for a big guy to hang on. Because of that, the big guys tend to go more for the steer wrestling and calf roping.

Keep these stories coming DJ, and I'll keep on reading and enjoying them.

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 17 years ago
A wonderful romance

I love a good romance and this was fantastic.

Thank you for this so well written Story.

PT

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Loved it when I

read it before and I love it even more now. Beautifully done DJ. Made me sniffle into my caffeine.

TLeeTLeeover 17 years ago
Thank you

A very good story.

LadyCibelleLadyCibelleover 17 years ago
Deserves to be repeated

I told you privately countless times how much I loved your writing....well, now it's time I told the whole world!

Each of your stories is more true to life, more researched, more interesting that the preceding one.

Your characters are true to life, you can almost see them right in front of your eyes, their interactions are natural and they aren't overdone.

I'm thankful to count you as a friend and honoured to have the privilege to work with you.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
A Great Story!!!

Really loved your story. All of your characters sound like good, honest people. Jake sounds like a shy, very unassuming man. The language and cliches are good, too. Some are very humorous!! Where I grew up in Illinois the people sound like your story. We woulda said "Gee" and "Haw" instead of "Come here" and "Sic 'em" [I know, they're different] but it still sounds like home.

I know that river that runs through San Antonio and I felt like I could step across it when I first saw it. It is nice, though. Running behind all of the businesses they keep the area full of flowers, small trees and other plants and it looked great. That was a few years ago but I assume they've kept it up.

You got me with the songs. Course, we all know The Gals All Get Prettier and Welcome To My World but the others were unknown to me. Maybe cause I know nothing about line dancing?

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It is a humorous, down to earth, loving story.

rgraham666rgraham666over 17 years ago
Your story…

will be mentioned in the New Story Review thread on the Authour's Hangout.

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
Real

DJ,

I grew up in Southern New Mexico, I have met many folks like the characters in this story some have been friends for over 40 years. These are the people I have known forever and maybe longer, farmers and ranchers from the West or here in the Southeast. It really adds something to the story to have more realistic characters like this. Keep up the fantastic work. Thanks for another winner.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Just an old fashioned love song.

A very well crafted story. The character development was excellent and gratuitous depictions of sexual acts were at a minimum. Other authors (those whose stories can best be summarized by "I xxxx'ed her, I came, I got another beer") would do well to study this one, hopefully to hone their skills.

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Probably Your Best (to date)

The others have given the reasons why so suffice it to say that I could smell the food and the animals and that was impressive.

Looks like you know what you are doing and isn't that a comfort.

Thanks Author - you are appreciated.

With Very High Regard

DG HearDG Hearover 17 years ago
Always good!

Always good to read a story by DJ. Very few writers me included go into such detail and use as true facts as possible. Another super Bravo! DJ

Your friend and fellow writer

DG Hear

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 17 years ago
Just a real nice story!

Jack, You have a way of making the reader feel like a part of the story. Your attention to detail makes everything seem so real and the reader feels like he knows the characters personally. Great job!

SweetWitchSweetWitchover 17 years ago
Great Read!

Jack,

I really enjoyed this. Took me back to my days in a redneck town. Just love those good ol' boys!

SW

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Thanks

your story carried me along. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Lovely story of cowboy love.

Romance at it's best.

Stuff on Texas seems pretty accurate.

Good job - Lone Star

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Damn!

Just don't know what to sat anymore but terrific!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Ok Ag twas a guud thing. From one AggieEx to

Gig'Em. The story was good, almost excellent. Not really sure what it would take to make it so. Was wondering tho in one place you talked of Gilleys being burned down and in another them going there. Perhaps you meant Willys Night Life on the north side of Houston. You bring back memories. Have been in Texas a number of times since the first in 58. Aggieland in 69 to 76, Houston 76 to 2005, so yeah, I know. Thanks for the memories. Almost all of my exs are in Texas, and the gal I finally married last in Texas she and I now farm in PA. Cya

Pandoras DesirePandoras Desirealmost 16 years ago
They sure do....

Lady takes the cowboy/cowgirl everytime, at least this cowgirl girl does. LOL. Wow! you've taken my favorite era of Country Music by some of my favorite artists, and taken it to a new level. Thanks! keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Romance

A very nice love story.It made a refreshing change from the erotica.

curiousgeorgettecuriousgeorgettealmost 14 years ago
what a lovely read

im refreshed. thank you for sharing your talent.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
so sweet!

This story made me cry, it was amazingly sweet!

jiminabjiminabover 13 years ago
Great story

I really liked this story. Heart warming would be my word. And really well done on the she thought, he thought thing. Will they ever get it right? And they did. My only downer was the Texas "twang" thing. They may pronounce words like that but I am sure they don't spell them like that. Overall....great. 5 stars. Thank you

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
I really didn't like this much and stopped on page 2

Why? Well, because I didn't like the cruel numbering. So what if it jived with the song. I don't like the song either.

And then the sudden change to in love and romance on page 2 just didn't seem even close to reasonable. Sorry, Jake has many great stories, I just don't like this one at all.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
And fun was had by all -

That communicatin' stuf 'll git ya -

Great tale and no dealing with the bad guys for a change - heh -

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Closing Time by Leonard Cohen

Your introduction reminded me of this wonderful video that you can find on YouTube. All the girls look prettier the nearer closing time comes!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Good Story

And good job with the dialects, too. Being born in Texas and living here all my life,

I appreciate how well you did writing them out. Of course the fact that there are 4 or

5 different dialects within the state make that even more difficult.

Thanks for the story. 5 Stars.

guybguybalmost 7 years ago
Good one

Very good story, liked it very much!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
BETTER

...even than Dying Embers, and it was 5 stars.

For some years worked in a business that put me in contact with western farmers and ranchers. Plus have lived in Texas (twice). So I've heard a good deal of that slang. Heartwarming, along with the western flavor and feel.

Just great.

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I Love This Story

I think it’s my second, or maybe my third read through it. But a small criticism, if I may. The use of the Texas vernacular and the colloquialisms gets old really fast. I’ve lived in Texas nearly 70 years, with the exception of a couple of years in SE Asia in the late 60s. I know the language, both the vernacular and the colloquialisms. I speak it and I hear it every day. But reading it is painful. Do us Texans a favor, Jake. Throw a little of the local language in every third paragraph or so, just to remind the reader where the story is set. Enough with the “cuz”, and “wal”, and “purdy” crap. Please? And “galoot”? Don’t get me started!

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago

Totally adorable , superb story! Love 💘 it!

olddave51olddave51over 1 year ago

Absolutely a great story

5 stars

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICabout 1 year ago

What a sweet love story. It’s well written with great characters. Thanks for writing it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous