The Good Housemaster Ch. 4

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The blonde shrugs as we reach Sherman's door. "Her plans. What I want to do. Those sort of things."

"Miss Pritchard, you really shouldn't..." Just then, Sherman opens the door.

"Professor! I see you made it." He turns to Amelia. "Thank you for delivering him so promptly. You have been a big help these last few days."

She smiles at the compliment. "Thank you, sir." With that, she turns back down the hallway for the kitchens.

The mustachioed older man waves me in. "Glad you're back, Professor Wright. We have some news."

As I enter, I see all four of the housemasters here as well. "Sir's," I greet them cautiously.

Wadsworth, the youngest of the group, smirks. "You're not in any trouble, Professor."

I try to smile. "That's good to hear. So; what is the reason for the meeting?"

Sherman sits behind his desk. "Well, Professor Wastrope has found himself a position at another school." He smiles at the middle-aged man. "Congratulations, Headmaster."

I'm briefly taken aback by this news about my mentor. Gradually, I smile as I realize the opportunity he's been given. I walk up to him and shake his hand. "Sir. That's outstanding news!"

Wastrope returns my grasp, and a sudden smile appears. "Yes, Alan. It's quite unexpected, actually. I wasn't actually searching for the position..."

"And yet it found the perfect candidate." Brown says, nodding. "I can't think of anyone more deserving."

I have to agree. The man is about as even-handed a gentleman I have ever met. He will be a real asset to whichever school he's going to. "So, when do you start?"

"Immediately, it seems."

My mouth drops open. "But what of your house? Surely they will give you time to transition out of your current position."

Sherman grimaces. "Unfortunately not. The need of the other school is quite pressing. That's why you've been called here."

I blink. They wouldn't be considering me. I'm the most junior professor at Eddington. "Sir?"

"You have shadowed Professor Wastope here for several months. In fact, most of the students of that house have been interacting with you already through your classes and tutoring sessions."

"Yes, sir. But I have no experience with administering an entire house."

"Wastrope here will continue guiding you for the next few days. The good news is you'll have no first-term students, so the ladies should be little trouble."

This is a lot to take on. I peer over at my mentor. "Do you think I'm ready?"

He gives me a quick smile. "No. But who of us really are when responsibility is thrust upon us? I'll just say this. You are the best choice for my house."

I shake my head. "If what you say is true, then we'll just have to make it my house."

* * *

With my hands full of the current roster of Wastrope's house and the school code, I reach my room. I guess I'll be moving once again. The Housemaster's personal space is nearly double mine. It also has an antechamber that serves as a small office, so I'll be able to see the ladies to discuss matters in private.

Looking at my clock, I see it's nearly supper. Waiting a few minutes, I hear a clicking of heels just outside my door. Right on time. Quickly rubbing a hand through my thick hair, I turn to greet the beautiful... My smile freezes in place. "Penelope?"

"Good evening, Housemaster," she says severely. "Congratulations."

What on earth? "Are you angry at me?"

The woman stands there, staring. "Not at you in particular," she finally says. "More like some of our leadership. I've just been found to be redundant."

My mouth drops. "Sherman laid you off?!"

"Not exactly. He says with all of the events recently, it would be better if I focused on my teaching."

I could tell the pale woman is seething. "None of that was your fault."

"And yet he has already gone out and found my replacement. Saucy bitch."

"Penny... I'm sorry, but you shouldn't say that."

"You haven't seen her? Come along, then. Let's see who the headmaster thinks is a good fit for his assistant."

Quickly following Penelope out of my door, I try to keep up with the fuming woman. "I'm so sorry. Maybe I can say something..."

"I already plead my case and pushed as hard as I could. So no, Alan. It's too late. I will spend my time with three classes and little else."

I'm trying to think of something to say that would make her feel better. I repress the first thing that comes to mind. We would have more time together. No. Better not say that. "Maybe you could take on more subjects?"

Her lip twists. "After this term, possibly. But without the confidence of Sherman, what's the point?"

I take the underlying hint. One way or another, this will be the last term for Penelope. My bright future, which I was just beginning to picture, suddenly becomes more complicated. "You know, whatever you decide, I'll support you."

She almost smiles. "Thank you, Professor." The tall woman waves me into the Main Hall. "Take a look."

With all of the heavy tables back in their usual places, the staff fill only the front part of the hall. Most have returned from our short break and are catching up with one another. I look up and see that the headmaster and housemasters have already seated themselves at the raised table. They seem to be in high spirits for some reason. Then I see her. A blond woman who couldn't be more than twenty steps up with a serving platter and places it down in front of the gentlemen. The dress she is wearing, though not exactly short in the mini-skirt fashion, rides up, showing a considerable amount of her tanned long legs. A demure smile greets each of the older men as a plate is set before them one at a time. "What the hell is this?"

"See? This is what replaces me."

I turn to Penelope, shaking my head. "Let's get some food. At least we can talk about..."

"Professor Wright!"

It's Brown calling from the table. "Sir?"

"No need for that, Housemaster," he grins. "Come up and sit next to Professor Wastrope here. I'm sure you both have much to discuss."

I stand with my feet locked in place for a moment. I would really rather be with Penelope, of course, but I can't be too obvious about it. "Oh, ah... If you insist." I glance back, but see that Penelope has already left my side. Sighing, I march my way and climb the handful of steps to the Head Table where I see a chair already set for me. As I sit between Brown and Wastrope, the young lady approaches me.

"Braised lamb or the salmon with dill, sir?"

Now that I'm closer, I see why I thought she was so young. Her pert nose and freckles, along with a lean frame, give the appearance of someone barely out of secondary. Her voice and demeanor, however, lend me to believe that this woman is older than she appears. "Ummm, salmon, please."

"Excellent choice, sir."

As the lady goes off to retrieve my plate I turn to Sherman. "Is that your new assistant, Headmaster?"

"Oh, yes. She's very attentive, isn't she?"

I'm a little disturbed by the almost giddy sound of the older man's voice. "Will she be doing this for every meal?"

He nods, grinning. "Not that I asked, of course. But it seems having a dedicated full-time assistant has its perks." His smile only grows as the lady returns and places the plate in front of me. "Could you refresh my drink, please?"

Is she actually preening in front of him? "Of course, sir."

"She's a real asset," I hear Cawthorn say, staring as she once again walks away. Glancing down, I find Penelope stabbing a fork into what appears to be meatloaf. I try to catch her eye, but she seems to be hurrying to finish her plate as fast as possible. Maybe after...

"Professor?"

I jerk, not noticing Brown is staring at me. "Sir? I mean, Professor?"

He nods to Wastrope next to me. "Will you be instructing our new housemaster tonight?"

My mentor sighs. "Yes. We will be covering a lot of material over the next few days. Right after meal, then?"

Now it's my turn to sigh. It looks like my docket is full for the foreseeable future. "Yes, Professor. I have to be ready before the students arrive."

The young assistant has returned with a pitcher and stares down at me. "You haven't touched your meal, sir. Is it not to your liking?"

"Oh, no," I say, shaking my head. "Just distracted is all. I didn't catch your name, Miss...?"

"Miss Watts, sir." Her smile is breathtaking. "If there is ever anything you need, don't hesitate to call."

* * *

Late that night, after finishing with Professor Wastrope, I return to my room exhausted. Who knew how many codes there were that had to be followed at this institution? With twenty pages of notes in hand, I set them down on the small desk. And yet, even as tired as I am, I know I have one last thing to do. My heart aches at the pain I saw in Penelope's eyes earlier today. As quietly as I can, I walk the deserted hallway across to the other wing, where the former assistant's living quarters are. As I turn the corner, I come to a sudden stop. It's Miss Watts dragging a small steamer trunk.

"Sir? Do you need something?"

I try not to stammer. "I, uhh, was checking on my classroom, Miss Watts." Thank God it was in this general direction.

Again, that smile. "I see you're a busy man, sir. Could you give a lady a hand?"

I nod, happy she didn't seem to let on. "Of course. Where to then?"

"Just right here."

The lady leads me halfway down the corridor and approaches the headmaster's office. "Are these your supplies?"

"Oh no, sir. Just some of my belongings. Here we are." She pulls out a key, and to my astonishment, she opens the next door down. It's Penelope's room!

"Just place it on my bed, sir."

I walk in and see that the place is mostly empty. Easily the size of a housemaster's room, I place the heavy trunk on the full-sized bed. "You're moving in?"

"Yes," the blonde says, stretching. I try not to look at her hemline, which is getting dangerously close to revealing her undergarments. "It took a while to get the former assistant's stuff out of here. She had to haul it all upstairs to a standard room near that studio of hers."

There is a clearing of a throat behind me, and I turn suddenly. "Pen...! I mean, Ms. Pritchard."

"Professor." Her calm veneer doesn't fool me for a second. "Miss Watts, here are the keys for the office." As she hands them over, they tumble to the floor. "Oops. Clumsy me."

"No bother," the tanned blond responds, smiling at me. "I'm sure the professor here will come to my aid."

I'm taken aback for a moment. Then I realize she doesn't want to bend over with that short skirt on. Covering my sigh, I reach down and retrieve them for the new assistant.

"You're a dear, Professor. And thank you again for bringing my baggage."

"Yes, well, I'll let you finish unpacking." I begin to back out, feeling Penelope's stare on me. "I'll be checking on my classroom now," I say, hoping she takes the hint. She opens her mouth in response, but Miss Watts interjects suddenly.

"That's fine, Professor. Penelope. Can I call you that? You still need to show me which key opens what in the office."

I turn back at the doorway. The cheek! "Ms. Pritchard here is a professor, Miss Watts. Remember that."

"Oh, of course, Professor. But I think me and Penelope will be the best of friends." She bats her blue-lined eyelashes at me. "Was there anything else?"

I'm being dismissed by a woman who hasn't been here more than a day. But what could I say? It is her room. "Good evening, ladies." Making a show of entering my classroom, I fiddle with a few of my drawers for several minutes. I give it for as long as I can, but no Penny. Sighing, I close up and slowly walk by the open office door. Not hearing any smashing or yelling, I take some comfort in the fact that she hasn't taken to throttling the younger woman yet.

* * *

I step out of my old room for the last time. The first day of spring term is tomorrow, and I have to make my final preparations. With a bit of nervousness, I go outside into the courtyard and face my new residence. I will now be in charge of fifty-six young ladies and their behavior outside of class. I can at least look forward to being able to supervise Amelia as term begins. I haven't seen any of her in the halls or meals, and I am growing concerned. And then there is Penelope. We have to be so proper around each other whenever we happen to meet. I can tell that her loss of the assistant position is eating at her. Anything I say, however, just aggravates her more. What we need is some time alone...

Wastrope steps out from the entrance. "Cold feet?"

"Maybe a bit. This is a lot to take on after just a few months."

"Don't let the responsibility fall too heavily on your shoulders. Just as we teach our students here; the first step is to learn what you can today."

I nod. "And let that form the staircase that leads you to your goal."

"If you are worried about anything, go ask your fellow housemasters. There will be plenty of support for you."

"Of course."

"Speaking of help, your prefect has just arrived."

"Miss Gupta?"

Wastrope smiles. "Come along. Let's get introduced."

Crossing the entrance, I feel a sudden tingle of excitement course through me. From this moment on, the House would become my home. The first door of the common area is my office and residence. Inside, the place still looks sparsely furnished and decorated, with only the school-provided desk, chairs, and a few bookshelves, which I have only filled a third of the way. With this much space, I promise myself to really get started on my collection. A prized possession sits on the front corner of my desk. The clock my students had given me. My attention is drawn to the center of the room, where I see a lady standing there, drawing herself to attention.

"Sirs."

The senior looks back at us with a piercing gaze. It must be the contrast of her coffee-dark skin against the nearly pure whites of her eyes. The dark brown hair falls straight and loose to her lower back, which makes her easy to find in a crowded hallway if one is looking. If that wasn't enough, then her braided coat with a metal pin makes sure you know you are speaking to someone in charge. Wastrope approaches her and grasps a hand. "Hello pretty."

I'm stunned by the inappropriateness of my mentor's greeting, and yet the younger woman seems to take it in stride, smiling herself. "Hello, sir. My parents send their good wishes."

I stand, confused. "Sir? Isn't this familiarity a little; inappropriate?"

Wastrope looks back at me. "I have known their family for years, Alan."

"But you shouldn't be calling her that."

The young lady tilts her head. "What, sir? My name?"

I freeze, realizing I had already somehow put a foot in my mouth. "Pretty?"

Wastrope begins chuckling. "No... No. Preeti. Emphasize the E a bit more."

Realizing I only knew her by her last name, I shake my head. "Sorry, Miss Gupta."

She flashes her fine, straight teeth. "That's fine, sir. We never were really introduced this year. So you are to be the new Housemaster?"

"Yes. Starting immediately." I don't offer to shake her hand. As I'm starting to learn, it would just be better to avoid any incidents like Amelia's. We are sat down next to each other as Wastrope finishes the introductions. Everything I find in our meeting indicates a confident and self-assured woman who's looking forward to graduation.

"Soon I will apply for a civil service position in York, where my family lives."

There is something about her. A je ne sais quoi that fills the room whenever she speaks to you. I'm beginning to realize I'll be able to rely heavily on her these next few months. "I'm sure they will accept you gladly once you meet them, Miss Gupta."

"Thank you, sir."

Wastrope rises. "That will be all for now. I know you need to finish getting ready before the others arrive."

She stands as well. "Thank you, sir. And good luck."

As she leaves, I shake my head. "She sure has a full head of steam, doesn't she?"

"Confidence pacifies a room. A lesson you need to remember." He comes around the desk and points at the chair. "You've done your homework. Now just be yourself."

I rise. It's time to take my place. Settling in, I look up at my mentor and realize just how big a pair of shoes I have to fill. Be myself. I know I'm a good teacher, but will my style lend itself to this position? My eyes are drawn to the door just before I hear the soft knock. Preeti is back.

"Sir, Housemaster Brown is here to see you."

"Yes, ah... Show him in. It feels so strange having someone assisting me like this."

Wastrope smirks. "Get used to it Alan. She'll be filtering the various student requests for you as well. Your schedule will be busy enough as it is."

I nod as Brown enters. Then, to my surprise, I see Amelia following him in. "Professor Brown. What can I do for you?"

"Professor Wright. I have just come from a meeting with the headmaster. We have been debating about what to do about the available role of prefect in my house and have come to a conclusion."

My eyes narrow, and I glance at Amelia with suspicion. "What have you concluded?"

"We both agreed that Amelia here has shown much progress. Her experience helping the various staff has put her in a unique position at this school. I would like to request for her to transfer to my house and become prefect."

"That is unexpected." I sit back in my new chair. What I want to say is that this is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Yes, Amelia has become a much better student and is making strides with her friends. However, that was primarily due to me and Wastrope's efforts. Not his. "It's certainly an opportunity. Could I speak with Miss Pritchard for a moment?"

Brown turns back to the tall blond. "Go ahead..."

"Alone," I emphasize. It's time to use some of these lesson's Wastrope has been instilling in me.

Brown blinks for a moment. "Of course. I will be outside."

Nodding to Wastrope, he follows the other man out. I indicate to Amelia that she should come before my desk. Beginning to smile, I freeze at the flinty look she gives me. Growing concerned, I try to soften my words anyway. "Miss Pritchard, you can be completely honest with me. Is Brown pressuring you in some way?"

She looks at me archly. "No, sir. I have just been considering certain events recently and wish to leave this house."

Why is she acting like this? We were on such good terms just a few weeks ago at the party. "What events?"

"Sir. Do you have a specific objection?"

I can't believe this! This is so out of character for her. "I was hoping you would remain here with your friends and we could continue your academic improvement."

"I can do so in Brown's house."

There is something else going on here, to be sure. Does she suspect me and Penny? "Miss Pritchard, why are you being so short with me?"

Her lips turn down. "Sir, if I must say it, I am not comfortable having to be with you in this house."

"Oh." My sudden realization of what is going on causes me to rock back. That unsaid problem between us. "I didn't realize. We can make allowances..."

"No, sir. We can't."

It couldn't be just that surely. Unfortunately, I have to take what she says at face value. I don't want her going over there if I can help it, though. "Have you spoken to your mother?"

"Yes, sir."

I begin to grow impatient. "And?"

"She isn't happy, but she has no say. The Headmaster and Housemaster Brown both agree..."

"They don't matter either, Miss Pritchard." I harden my voice. "What do you think is right?"

She seems to grow uncertain for a moment. "Sir, I would rather not discuss this."

"Fine. Only if you tell me, right now, that you want to be under Brown more than staying with those who care for you."