The Good Housemaster Ch. 4

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stands there clearly in some kind of turmoil. "I would like to... I mean..." She looks at me again and shakes her head. "No. It's impossible. I can't remain here."

I grit my teeth, realizing there is no point in continuing the argument. The young woman is conflicted about many things, but on this one issue, she seems to have her mind set. Standing slowly, I look at her sadly. "You may go then. Good luck."

She says nothing. Her pale blue eyes look at me, and at least they don't have that hardness about them anymore. Turning away, she walks out the door, and almost immediately I hear Brown's voice congratulating her. Resting against the corner of my desk, I look down. My first test as a housemaster; and I'm a failure.

* * *

I want to go to Penelope. We have to discuss this. I know she has to be more angry than ever, like the first time she came to my room. I just can't yet. The other students in my house that come by train are beginning to disembark the bus that has driven them up here. Looking across the courtyard, I see the groups separate and begin to make their way to my door. Many nod and smile, recognizing me, but don't give me a second glance. That is, until several first-year students walk up.

"Sir!" Natalie and Dorothy say together. Katie and Lauren come up right behind. "It's good to see you, sir."

"Have a good break, everyone?" I get a series of nods from all of them.

Lauren tilts her head. "So why are you here, sir?"

Even in my mood, I can't help but smile a little bit. "That would be telling. Go inside and wait in the common area."

All four of them look at me questioningly. I wave them in and continue to greet the arrivals, trying to remember names as best I can. Finally the courtyard is empty and I close the doors behind me. Entering the common area, Wastrope stands in his usual spot, giving everyone plenty of room to gather around. I slowly walk up to take a place beside him, and a few murmurs begin. Wastrope looks down at the students sternly, and they quickly grow quiet.

"Welcome back, everyone. First, let me tell you that I have been offered a position as a headmaster at a different school, starting immediately..." There are a few gasps and Oh, no's, but Wastrope puts his hands up. "I know. Some of us have been together for nearly three years now." He turns to Preeti. "And a few longer than that. However, your new housemaster is no stranger to most of you. Professor Wright will be taking over from me starting tonight after I leave. For those who wish to attend, I will have a final meal in the Hall where we can all say goodbye."

I look around and actually see a few tears from the older students. Not the first-years, though. All of them were looking at each other with what appears to be growing excitement. Squaring my shoulders, I take a step forward. "Good afternoon, everyone!"

"Good afternoon, Housemaster!" the room shouts back at me.

"Very good. I understand the surprise some of you must feel at Professor Wastrope's imminent departure, so I will keep this short. Over the last few days, I have been familiarizing myself with this new role and all of your school records. This next week, I will have individual meetings to understand what your goals are as well as convey my expectations while in this house. As those of you who are in my classes know, I have a hands-on style of teaching. Do not hesitate to come to my door if you have a problem or question. To simplify things, all of the rules Wastrope has instituted in the house remain unchanged. There will be no wandering after hours unless expressly approved by me. There will be no horseplay. No practical jokes. We are all adults here. Are there any questions?"

"No Housemaster!"

"Good." I finally smile. "Then I think it's time for all of you to wish Professor Wastrope a fond farewell. Hip, hip!"

"Hurrah!"

"Hip, hip!"

"Hurrah!"

"Hip, hip!"

"Hurrah!"

With that, I step back and let the ladies begin to say goodbye. However, three of them immediately form a semi-circle around me.

"I can't believe you'll be our housemaster!" Lauren practically gushes.

"Yes, but I can't show any favoritism, Miss White."

"I know. But to have you so close..."

Natalie nudges her quite hard. "What she means is that we'll have more time to study under..." Her face turns a ruddy shade of red. "I mean with you, sir."

I nod down to the quiet young lady. "That is as it may be, Miss Chung, but I'll be dividing my time between nearly sixty women now."

The wiry Katie gets a mischievous grin on her face. "Good luck with all of us, sir."

"Thank you, Miss Jones. I don't need any shenanigans, if you please." 

"It's not me you have to worry about." She tilts her head towards another group.

Looking across the room, I see Dorothy animatedly talking with a sullen circle of second-years. I watch as the tow-headed girl all but drags one of the twenty-year-olds over. "Is there a problem, ladies?"

The older student sighs. "No, sir. It's just..."

Dorothy, in her ever so forthright manner, doesn't mince any words. "Pru is worried you won't be able fill Wastope's role, sir."

Obviously I have a lot of work to do here. "I know how much you respected him, Miss Stone. He left a lasting impression on me as well. I'll try to emulate the professor as much as possible now that I'm your housemaster."

"Yes, sir," Miss Stone replies ambivalently. Natalie clears her throat, and I can't miss the prompting she's giving the second year. With growing trepidation, I watch as Miss Stone slowly extends her arm. "Welcome home, sir."

It would be rude if I didn't respond in kind. Hoping nothing strange would happen, I grasp her hand gently and give it a brief shake. I inwardly breathe a sigh of relief as the room doesn't fade out or anything else that I could detect as out of the ordinary. "Thank you, Miss Stone. I'll see you at our meeting later this week." She doesn't respond. I narrow my eyes as the girl stands there slack jawed, staring back at me. "Miss Stone?"

"Huh? Our meeting? Together?"

Oh wonderful. What has happened now? "Yes, Miss Stone. Our one-on-one."

"Alone?" She suddenly gets a far-away look. "With my Housemaster..."

Suddenly, Natalie, Dorothy and Lauren grab the obviously disoriented student and start leading her away, sniggering. I stare after them in concern. Is there something about my touch? I look over at Katie, and she just shrugs.

"They've always acted strange around you, sir." The dark-haired woman looks around. "Have you seen Amelia?"

I realize I'd forgotten to bring up this subject with her friends. "She has decided to change houses."

"What?" Katie looks at me as if I have grown a second head. "Why?!"

"The short and long of it is that she didn't want to remain in the house after Wastrope left. On top of that, Brown has offered the prefect position to her."

"Brown's house?! I better go tell the others!"

Left alone, I notice several of the young ladies have departed either upstairs or for the Main Hall. Seeing this as a good opportunity to find Penelope, I follow several to the dining area. It would be the perfect time to discuss what just happened. Does she feel something as well? It might be high time to institute a no-touching rule in my house now that I'm thinking about it.

Taking a quick glance around the Hall, I find Penelope isn't here. There can be only one other place. With the classroom corridors still mostly empty, I take the same path a few weeks ago up the back stairs. She's here. I sense her; but this time it's different. There is pain. Hurt. Turning the knob, I stand at the door once again. She looks at me. Not with passion. Not in fear. There's just a brittle smile just for me.

"You couldn't stop her."

"No. She doesn't want to be that close to me. At least that's what I got out of her. I did try."

"You could have refused."

"If I did, what then? It's this strangeness between us. I guess you were right all along. I was making her too uncomfortable."

"How did this happen?" Her head drops to her chest. "In two weeks... We were so happy..."

I come closer. "She will still be here. I have her in two of my classes, and she's in one of yours."

"And Brown will be 'helping' her all the rest of that time."

I can feel the pain radiating from her, and I fear the intensity will overwhelm me. If something like the event at the start of the term happened again... "Are you angry with me?"

She looks back up with glistening eyes. "Not you. I just feel... I want to be strong... Independent..."

Bugger it. No matter what the consequences, I move in to hold her.

"Ahem. Professor Wright?"

I start at my name being called and twist to see the assistant at the door. As I try to think of what to say, Penelope turns away, hiding the tears in her eyes. "Yes?"

"Sir, the Headmaster and other Housemasters are requesting your presence in the Main Hall," she says, smiling in her sugary, sweet manner. "I think the staff are presenting a cake."

"Thank you, Miss Watts. I'll be there shortly."

"Very good, sir." With that, she disappears down the corridor without a second glance.

Thank God she didn't let on. I turn back to Penelope, who still has her back to me.

"Go on ahead, Professor. You can't keep them waiting."

"Penelope. I promise to do everything I can." She nods, not turning around. I feel something tug at my heart. "I promise." With that, I slowly walk out to the corridor.

* * *

It's now quite dark outside as I return to my house. Unsurprisingly, the dinner went long as many students and staff wanted to say their goodbyes. Penelope did finally drop by and said hers as well, keeping a brave face on things. Now past nine, I enter and find Preeti waiting for me. "All accounted for, Miss Gupta?"

"Yes, sir. Most are upstairs getting ready for the first day."

"Very good." I lock the doors behind me and enter the common area. "I'll keep my outer door unlocked. If there are any issues, knock loudly. I'm counting on you to keep things in order."

She nods. "You'll have no reason to go upstairs while I'm here, sir."

"Right." One thing I absolutely don't want to do is go up there and reprimand those young ladies in their sleeping garments. After what I experienced today with Miss Stone, I want to keep all contact with these women to a bare minimum. "Well, goodnight then, Miss Gupta."

Closing the office door, I retreat to the living area and prepare for bed. Putting on my conservative sleeping wear, I lay back and think about what has to be done tomorrow. The girls up and ready to leave at seven. The headmaster will speak to them at quarter till. First class right after. My coursework is finalis...

What's happening?

It's dark. Are we just witnessing him sleeping?

No. There's something. Concentrate everyone!

It's so hot. Blast furnace hot. My fair skin will burn in minutes here. So much red dirt. Clouds trail my faltering steps. I'm so disoriented. Shading my eyes, I see a building and rush for the entrance. Crashing into it, I stumble into what appears to be a hallway full of doors. I cough at the scratchiness in my throat. Wait. It's powder. White powder! I wave my hand, but it's futile. There's laughing. Girls laughing at me? My eyes clear and I stare at a young woman. It's Brown's former prefect! She's advancing on me slowly in a strange dress. A uniform I don't recognize. I try to step back, but can't move. She pushes me into a wall with ease and her eyes grow hungry. I try to twist away.

"You promise. Stay with me." I shake my head, but she takes my face in her small hands. "Stay with me forever."

She pushes in, and her full lips forcefully part mine. I can't stop her, even though I'm trying to push back. After a moment, I realize I'm getting hot. A wet, melting feeling starts somewhere deep inside me...

"Unnghhh!" I sit bolt upright in the darkness. My cock is rock hard and throbbing! What the hell is this?! I push off my blanket and stand in the middle of the room. Brown's Prefect. Why am I dreaming about her? And where was I? Who was I? I look down. At least the imminent orgasm has subsided. Whatever I was feeling in that dream, it was a sensation almost alien to me. It was like; something in my belly was getting hot. I look through my window and see the faint light of early dawn over the courtyard. Just another strange start of the day at Eddington.

Slowly, I change out my clothes to prepare to teach. Is this just the pressure? Am I cracking? I really need to talk to Penelope about; everything. What's happening in my dreams. When we touch. Amelia as well. Everything. She said her life is barmy, but I think I've got her beat. Maybe together we can figure this out.

Entering the common area, I watch as my house comes down the stairs in twos and threes with books in hand. Some look like they're still waking up. Trying to look encouraging, I nod to the ladies and then proceed to the Main Hall. Soon the noise in the large space grows quite loud as breakfast is served and the multitude try to have conversations over each other. Going to my place at the Head table, I see all of the senior professors have already arrived and are glancing to the kitchens in anticipation.

Sighing, my eyes scan for Penelope instead. Where is she? Even though she's not assisting the headmaster, the professor should at least be here for his speech. Unless... Her quarters are just next door to her classroom. Maybe she doesn't want to come down. I know I wouldn't with Miss Watts all but prancing around us in her not quite-mini-skirt.

With the hearty breakfast nearly complete, the headmaster rises and walks to his podium. Is it me, or does he seem unusually moody?

"Good morning, Eddington students."

"Good morning, Headmaster!"

The student's response, while respectful, is muted as well.

"The start of the spring term is here. Even today, I know many of you are looking forward to graduation." A few nervous laughs. "I understand. Especially the third-year students who see their goals just on the horizon." He pauses, looking down at the entire assembly. "Saying that, I want to remind you that we have a strict Code at this institution. A student has forgotten that and is no longer with us." A low murmur. "Any breaking of this Code will not be tolerated. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Headmaster."

"Good. Off to it then."

The mood in the Hall is subdued as several hundred ladies rise and begin filtering out for their classes. I get ready to follow, but Headmaster Sherman crosses in front of us, indicating we should stay.

"Gentlemen, as the senior staff, you will report to me any instances of rule-breaking or worrisome behavior. I will not have what happened last term happen again. You will report all occurrences and what you will do about it on a weekly basis. Are there any questions?"

We all indicate that there are none. It's pretty clear that Sherman is taking a more aggressive approach this term. I'll just have to explain to my house that they'll just have to be on their best behavior. As we all rise, Miss Watts approaches looking quite put-out. "Sir, several students are reporting that Ms. Pritchard isn't in her classroom."

I immediately feel my heart rate rise. She wouldn't skive off her responsibility to her students unless there's something seriously bad happening.

Sherman places his hands on his hips. "Sleeping in on the first day? What else can go wrong with her?!"

I bristle at that. "Have you checked her room, Miss Watts?"

"Of course, Professor. She didn't answer the door."

Alarm bells are clanging in my head. "We need to get in that room."

Now Sherman's frustration seems to evaporate. "Miss Watts, get Mr. Davies and unlock that door." He turns to us. "Go to your classes. We'll keep this disruption to an absolute minimum."

I stand there frozen for a moment as the other housemasters depart. What if something serious happened to her. I should go to her; and yet... My class is waiting, and Sherman has given his orders. I can't do anything without being too obvious about it. Clenching my fists, I go to my first class of the new term. I'm a little late, and as I enter, I catch a few of the second-years talking amongst themselves. "Settle down, everyone. I don't wish to write anyone up the first day." The class goes quiet, and the students stare back at me blinking. I realize I must be scowling, and I try to clear my expression. "Sorry. Let's begin your second term."

Trying to not let my distraction show, I somehow make it to the first break. I use the few free minutes to rush to the headmaster's office. Just as I enter, I come to a sudden stop. There's a constable here! At my sudden entrance, both Miss Watts and the Headmaster turn to me.

"Professor Wright. It's good you came."

"Yes, Headmaster. Is there something wrong with Pen... Professor Pritchard?"

"Yes. She's gone missing. Taken some of her things and left in her car. All without any notice at all."

I'm struck to the core at the news. "Why would she do that?"

"We're not sure, Professor. Have you heard anything?"

I've heard a lot. Unfortunately, I didn't take how she was feeling serious enough. "Nothing about her leaving, sir."

The constable looks up from a pad in his hand. "You're Professor Wright?" I nod. "Her daughter mentioned you two were spending a lot of time together recently."

"Uh, yes." Of course she would notice that. "Professor Pritchard had some concerns about her daughter's schoolwork, and so we; collaborated together."

"I see." He scribbles a bit more on his pad. "Headmaster Sherman, I'll phone in what I've..."

"Constable." I had to say something. "Professor Pritchard didn't mention anything about leaving, but she had shown signs that she was unhappy about recent changes at the school."

"Yes?"

"Her daughter changing houses for one. She seemed very concerned about that." I'm leery to bring up her demotion in front of Sherman and Miss Watts.

"Anything else?"

"Uh, no, Constable."

"Fine. Let me go and report this in."

Now, with the three of us standing alone in the office, I notice Sherman is studying me. "You seem particularly troubled, Professor Wright."

"Shouldn't we all be? A member of the staff leaving without any notice?"

"Yes, but there doesn't seem to be any foul play. And yet...to leave all these students in the lurch?"

"Yes, sir. It's just that I don't think she..." My eyes flicker over to Miss Watts. "I mean, she was just relieved of most of her duties."

"And good thing to. If she had done this as my assistant... Well, where would we be?"

Keep calm. Blowing up on my boss will not help anyone. "That's not it exactly, sir..."

"Sir," Miss Watts interrupts. "Your second class started two minutes ago."

Gritting my teeth, I realize she's right. "Of course. Please let me know if there are any updates. I would like to relay them to the affected students."

"Of course, Professor." Sherman turns back to his office, and Miss Watts is at his side, handing him a paper. "Ah, yes. What would I do without you?" The door closes behind them.

Leaving in growing anxiety, I go to my second class, which would be my first years. Amelia will probably be in her room... I nearly stumble over the doorway as I see the tall blonde sitting in my first row! "Miss Pritchard?"

"Yes, sir?"

She doesn't look worried at all. In fact, she's almost at ease as she folds her hands on the desk. I lean in. "Shouldn't you be..." I look over the class and see several questioning glances. "I mean; are you quite alright?"

"I think so," She whispers back. "My new friends in my house have been ever so supportive."

What in...? This is impossible! She should be losing it. Angry. Something! "I'll understand if you need to go back to your house, considering the circumstances."