The Good Housemaster Ch. 5

Story Info
The Future Knights.
16.7k words
4.59
1.8k
0

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 03/29/2024
Created 02/22/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What's that sound? Is it raining outside?

I think he's crying.

We have to stop. It's hurting him.

No. Push on. Everything I remember is; so wrong.

Yes Alan. Keep going. We're all here...

The corridors are bustling with students moving from one class to the next. As I stride through them, they part quickly and make way for me. And why not? I am senior staff after all. I'm settling into my position rather well, mostly due to Professor Brown's support. Even some of the professors nod deferentially to me, even though I'm the youngest by far.

Approaching the Main Hall, I see the large double doors are closed, which indicates that the proceedings that are about to commence will not be for the school in general. Standing outside are several students in their braided coats, signifying their rank as prefects in this hallowed institution. The young lady of my house approaches carrying a clipboard to take notes.

"Miss Gupta. Prepared, I see."

"I heard there will be several rule changes as well as how we enforce the Code, sir."

"That's correct. Prepare yourself during the meeting, since I'm sure you'll be surprised by some of the provisions."

Her dark eyes study me for a moment. "What part, exactly?"

"Well, Miss Gupta, we are about to..." My eyes are drawn to a very tall blond prefect who closes with us with an engaging smile. "Miss Pritchard."

"Good morning, sir. I'm so glad we can speak again. Housemaster Brown says my training is nearly complete."

"Yes. It has been a while. In our meetings, Brown has been saying you've been making good progress."

"I hope so, sir." She clasps her hands and looks almost shy for a moment. "I do miss spending time with you in tutorials."

"Yes. They were..." A faint memory of the striking young lady flits through my head. Those sessions were so productive last term. Between Wastrope, Brown, and I, we were able to whip her into shape pretty quickly. Too bad she didn't have any parental figures at home. We all just had to step it up for this promising woman. "Well, I only hope you can join us again soon. I was about to tell..." Brown enters the entryway, and we all turn toward our senior. "Housemaster. I see you've made it for the meeting."

"Yes, Alan. The Head will go over the new regulations and code of conduct for next semester."

I'm not completely happy with a particular rule. "You know how I feel about corporal punishment in my house. How did you convince the headmaster?"

The tall man shrugs a bit. "I only played a small part, Alan. After what some of the girls did, he has been looking for options. I gave him one."

I place my hands on my hips. "You know I prefer not to cane these women."

Both Prefects look at each other in shock. "Caning?"

"Alan. It will be for egregious behavior and only at the headmaster's discretion." He glances at the two ladies and smiles. "Your students should have nothing to worry about."

I notice that both women have somehow sidled up to me. He is quite intimidating, to be sure.

"Yes. Nothing to worry about at all. Come along, Miss Pritchard."

The doors open, and we all begin to go inside. Preeti leans in. "You can cane us now?"

"So it seems."

Her dark eyes study me. "But you won't?"

"That's out of my hands, Miss Gupta. Let's listen to the headmaster, and you'll understand."

* * *

After a long day of leading classes, I shrug off my formal gown and hang it in the wardrobe. The weekend has finally started, but there's no chance to relax. The sound in the common room is growing by the moment and I need to get out there quickly. Obviously, word has spread about today's meeting.

Returning to the main room, I call out. "Everyone! Around me, please!" The sixty-some odd ladies quiet rapidly and look at me with questioning faces. "Headmaster Sherman has ordered that the use of corporal punishment shall be instituted from this time forward."

"What...? He can't... Why now?"

Preeti steps up. "Quiet please!"

"Thank you. If you check in the code handbook, everything listed as serious violations will be punished harshly up to the use of the cane. The headmaster has final say in these matters. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Housemaster!" Now there are a lot of glances between the women.

"Since none of you have had any violations beyond some minor matters, I wish to see that continue. What concerns me most is serial minor infractions. In those cases, the headmaster will delegate the task to the housemasters if he so chooses." Several whispers could be heard at that. "As you can imagine, it would be in your best interests to not have to be reported to the headmaster for the rest of this term. Am I clear?"

"Crystal, sir!"

"Good." I give them a bit of a smile. "I'm very proud of how you all have comported yourselves so far this term. Please do not disappoint me."

"Yes, sir!"

"Go ahead, then. The rest of the night is yours."

Many of the ladies break up into small groups and head for their rooms to talk. I know a few have phonographs to listen to up there, and some soft sounds of the Rolling Stones drift down the stairs into the quieting common area.

Preeti frowns at me. "I'll go handle that."

I shake my head. "It's the weekend, and they need to unwind after the news."

"Then until ten, sir?" After getting my assent, she trots up the stairs to make sure nothing gets out of hand. As I turn for my door, I notice four students at a corner table. It's Natalie, Katie, Lauren and Dorothy all sitting with books out. It wouldn't hurt to see what they were up to now that I don't have anything pressing to tend to.

"Hello, sir," Lauren says, only perking up a little bit as I approach. The others look downright glum.

"Just checking up on all of you." I look down at the books and see some of the literature I've assigned. "It's good to see you're staying caught up."

"Yes, sir," they all respond with little enthusiasm.

I'm taken aback at how dour their mood is. "Don't you have lacrosse tomorrow? How are the Knights going to perform?"

Katie looks up. "What's the point? Without Amelia, there isn't much chance against Brown's team."

I hit part of what's bothering them, but I'm sure that isn't all by a long shot. "Listen ladies. You shouldn't have to worry about the new code enforcement. All of you have good grades, and I'm sure you have no desire to break the rules."

Dorothy shifts her glasses up. "That's not the point, sir. We might be doing fine, but what about the other houses?"

"That's up to the housemasters. We hope that constant updates to the Head will prevent anything rising to the point of the most severe punishments."

The tow-headed lady looks back down at her book. "Maybe. I just thought Eddington would be different." They all nod indifferently.

What they say nudges a bit of my concience. "Ladies. Sherman is the Head, but I am the housemaster here. In this house, you will be treated with respect. If you have any worries whatsoever, even if it's another professor, bring them to me. I care for all of you, and I'll do everything I can." My expression of how I feel seems to perk them up. They all pass a look between themselves, and Katie turns to me.

"If that's the case, sir, then I want to let you know that we've started planning something."

"Oh?"

"We're starting a protest specifically against the use of corporal punishment."

I raise my eyebrows. "And how exactly were you going to protest?"

The raven-haired girl shrugs. "We haven't gotten that far."

"Well, just be careful. There are specific rules about gatherings. You can't be a disruption."

Lauren smirks. "It wouldn't be much of a protest if it isn't a little disruptive."

"While that is true, you don't want to make enemies of those whom you're trying to convince. Although I believe that there are situations where the Head can use the cane, there were several rules I didn't like this morning. Situations where the use of the paddle, strap or cane could be used all too easily. So, I would like to have some feedback before you proceed."

The full-figured woman pushes back her thick brown hair. "If you want some feedback, sir, what about this?" She points down to her book. "Romeo and Juliet? I mean, Amelia just about has it memorized."

I smile and turn to the tow-headed girl. "I'm sure she does. Have all of you had it at some point in secondary?" They all nod. "Well then, go ahead and read a portion for me."

Shrugging, Miss Chung starts speaking very softly. I instantly recognize the balcony scene. She says a few lines from Romeo.

"With love's light wings did I o'erperch these walls,

For stony limits cannot hold love out,

And what love can do, that dares love attempt.

Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me."

I smirk. No actress is she. "Alright. Now someone read Juliet." I watch as Dorothy takes on the role.

"If they do see thee, they will murder thee."

At least she puts a little tension in her voice, but it's still so flat. I find it no surprise, since most professors just have them read the work and do little else. After they go back and forth for a few more lines, I sigh.

Both of them look up from the page. "Sir?"

It's time to use some of Brown's guidance and give these girls a proper hands-on teaching. "This is a love scene, you two. When you read this, do you not sense the emotion Shakespeare is trying to convey?"

Dorothy purses her lips. "Sort of. There isn't really anything here telling us how they're acting."

"Well then, let's set up the scene. Miss Akins, continue your role as Juliet and climb halfway up the stairs." The blonde rises and takes the book with her. "Miss Chung, you stand at the bottom with me." As both ladies face each other from their positions, I nod to the straight-haired girl next to me. "Go ahead with the next line."

"I have night's cloak to hide me from their eyes..."

"No. No, Miss Chung. I'm not even sure if Dorothy could hear you up there. You have to project what Romeo is expressing. Let it out for all to see. Come beside me." I take the petite lady's hand and extend her arm up to where her friend stands. "Now call up to her with some feeling!" Miss Chung opens her mouth, but no sound comes out other than a little hiccough. Could she have performance anxiety with just us here? "Come along. Tell her!" Suddenly, the words start tumbling out.

"And, but thou love me, let them find me here.

My life were better ended by their hate

Than death proroguèd, wanting of thy love."

There's a LOT of emotion now. Her speech is almost manic in its haste. I look up to Dorothy to see if she can do better. "Give me the next line."

Blinking through her glasses, she stares down. "By whose direction found'st thou out this place?"

An interesting choice. Her nervousness is not how Shakespeare would want his Juliet, but it'll work for now. I pat the smaller girl's back next to me to prompt her.

"By love, that first did prompt me to inquire.

He lent me counsel, and I lent him eyes.

I am no pilot; yet, wert thou as far

As that vast shore washed with the farthest sea,

I should adventure for such merchandise."

"Much better. Continue." Both women's eyes are locked together, and the books droop in their hands.

"Thou knowest the mask of night is on my face,

Else would a maiden blush bepaint my cheek

For that which thou hast heard me speak tonight."

In fact, her face is turning a rosy shade of pink. She places a hand against the side of her face as she begins to descend the stairs towards Natalie.

"Fain would I dwell on form; fain, fain deny

What I have spoke. But farewell compliment.

Dost thou love me? I know thou wilt say 'Ay!'"

"Aye." Miss Chung says softly.

Dorothy reaches out to her friend's extended hand. "And I will take thy word."

So believable! "Well done..." A loud gasp emits from Dorothy as the young lady joins hands with Miss Chung. "Miss Akins! Be careful!" She begins to fall, and I step over quickly to catch her in my arms. I see a flash of something cross her face. Was it pain?

"I feel it. I really feel it. Ohh..."

"Where does it hurt, Miss Akins?"

"Hurt?" She looks up at me with unfocused eyes. "I feel... Ahnnnn..."

She's moaning softly in some sort of distress. I glance up and see that a crowd has formed at the top of the stairs. Turning to Natalie, she comes over to help. "Take Miss Akins to the infirmary."

As I release Dorothy, she seems to relax. "Hmmm...? I think... I think I just need to go upstairs, sir."

"Are you quite sure?"

"Definitely. Natalie, could you help me?"

Miss Chung nods eagerly. I look on in admiration as her slight arm wraps around Dorothy's waist, giving the support her friend needs. As they reach the top of the stairs, many of those who were watching try to engage the two in conversation. The two ladies ignore them and proceed with what I think is a bit too much haste to their room. With that bit of drama over, I turn back to the remaining pair at the table. Lauren stares at me almost in awe. Katie just leans her chair back and folds her arms.

"Blimy, sir! You certainly know how to make literature interesting!"

* * *

Up very early Monday morning, I find myself once again at the entrance to the Main Hall waiting. With a little bit of nervousness, I stand off to the side and watch as my four wait for the first students to arrive for breakfast. Just before seven thirty, they pull out a few handwritten placards, which three of them hold up. Katie stands in front with a clipboard for signatures in hand as the classmates stop in front of them. As the group grows, the four start a chant.

"These canes are made for walking,

But that's not what they'll do!

One of these days these canes,

Are gonna wack all over you!"

There's a big laugh from the crowd, and a few start to sign. In seconds, several professors hurry in to see what the commotion is about. I listen closely as Katie follows my careful instructions.

"Make sure after you sign, proceed into the main hall. Quickly. Quickly."

I grin as everything seems to go to plan. It's no surprise at how fast Brown appears at my side. "What is the meaning of this? This disruption is intolerable, Professor Wright."

I turn to him. "The disruption is minimal, and according to the Code. Class is not in session, and they're not blocking access."

"And I assume this has been approved?"

"According to the rules."

The older man seems put out. "All of the discussions we had these last few weeks appear to not have had an impact on you, Professor Wright."

"Quite to the contrary, Professor Brown. You say to keep a firm hand? I have these ladies following my instructions to the letter."

"I see. Well, good luck with your little project then." With that, he departs.

Watching as the young women continue to file through, I see that Preeti has taken up a position near the doors, waving the girls in. There are a few who don't sign, but by my rough guess, at least eighty percent have. My eyes catch a very tall woman as she makes her way to the front.

"Katie, could I join all of you?"

What Amelia just said shocks all five of us for a moment. Katie finally smiles. "Of course! Wowsers!"

Wowsers indeed. To have Brown's Prefect join us is astonishing, but it seems that the bonds of friendship between these ladies are very strong. After a few moments, the fair-haired lady begins to get into the swing of things as she helps direct traffic. Everything goes smoothly up until several students stop. They part to let the headmaster and Miss Watts through. "Sir," I say deferentially.

The older man looks up at the signs. "What is this all about? I didn't approve of this."

"You did, sir." Miss Watts flips a few pages in a book. "According to the new code, any activity that doesn't disrupt studies or classes can be approved by senior staff."

"Hmmm. That as it may be, but I wish you had run this by me first."

It's time for Katie to shine. "Headmaster Sherman, we would like to point out how special this institution is to everyone. So many of us have come here from education systems that have had us cowering in fear of what may happen on a day-to-day basis. It was a struggle to focus on our assigned work, sir. We just wrote what was told to us, and that was that. If we can't question our teachers, then how are we to learn?"

Sherman gazes down at the smaller lady. "None of the codes for classroom work would require corporal punishment."

"With respect, sir. My experience with these rules are that they can be construed as a serious violation if the student does not improve. If a professor isn't diligent, then wouldn't the student be referred to your office?"

I clearly understand what is left unsaid. A situation could also arise if a particularly 'questioning' student became crosswise to a professor.

The headmaster brushes his mustache, thinking. "True, Miss...?"

"Jones, sir." The young lady stands there quietly, at attention. I admire her patience as she waits for the headmaster to ponder what she said without interruption. He looks down.

"How many signatures, Miss Jones?"

"I haven't had a chance to count yet, sir."

"Seems like a fair amount." He looks over to his assistant. "Why don't we amend the code, Miss Watts."

The younger woman appears to be surprised for a moment. "But we need to have all senior staff approve."

Now it's my turn. "Sir. For minor corrections in language, I think you have authority to make a change."

He smiles at me. "You are correct, Professor. Fine, then, Miss Jones. You have been convincing. Only non-class serious violations will be brought to me. It will still be my discretion if punishment will be required."

Katie bows her head for a moment. "Thank you, sir. We will immediately disband."

The older man nods. "Jones. First year?"

"Yes, sir."

Daughter of the MP, if I'm not mistaken?"

Katie tries not to show a bit of irritation. "Yes, sir."

"I'll have to remember that." He raises his voice. "Fifteen minutes to first class everyone. Hurry up, then!"

The crowd pushes their way into the Main Hall leaving our group to clean up. The other girls join Katie and pump their fists in celebration. 

"Score one for the Knights!" Lauren exclaims as she punches Natalie in the shoulder. "Sorry."

The much smaller girl shakes her arm. "It's fine. I'm glad you joined us, Amelia."

"I had to help." The tall blond looks nervously at us. "I mean; seeing you here together, I just had to." To my astonishment, I watch as she opens her arms to the four ladies. They immediately surround her in a heartfelt hug, and I'm caught up. What is this? It's a warmth that's drawing me. Suddenly, I have the urge to join them in this wonderful feeling. I just hold back, realizing that wouldn't be seemly.

"That is enough, Miss Pritchard."

I see Housemaster Brown has returned. We're all just standing there, staring wistfully at the two of them. Dorothy finally speaks up.

"We have to get together sometime."

"Maybe tonight." Amelia says, looking to her Housemaster a little nervously. "If I'm allowed."

He nods, smiling. "I think it would be good for you, Miss Pritchard." He claps his hands once. "Time to start a productive day!"

All of us jump into action, realizing we had only minutes left before breakfast ended. Joining Brown, I move to the raised table, finding our meals still warm. I look to Miss Watts and nod appreciatively. It's almost like she's always one step ahead.

* * *

It's the end of the day, and the French tutorials have just let out. Even so, there is one student who doesn't exit. How am I not surprised it's Lauren. "Miss White, this is the third tutoring session you've asked of me this week. Are you having real difficulty with the work?"